PDA

View Full Version : will jerry do the right thing or not?

richb2
11-10-2005, 12:30 AM
I have to first to say Iam still in a fantastic mood from the world series-still in heaven. The question that lingers in my mind is will jerry do the right thing and grab this city by the throat by putting more money into this team so the run can be substained? I am not expecting the sox to be in the top 5 in payroll, but I do expect the top 8 now, they are defending champions. These guys made a ton of money with post season and next years ticket sales. I also have doubts in mind about jerry sorry-worse case scenarios lol-what is your take?

voodoochile
11-10-2005, 12:30 AM
Yes. JR will do whatever it takes to continue winning.

antitwins13
11-10-2005, 12:47 AM
I think JR has always tried to do what it took. The idea that he used to sit on cash is a myth. He has much more disposable income now to improve the team. Plus, it didn't hurt that KW is the GM.

TFLEM33
11-10-2005, 01:31 AM
I think Reindorf is going to do what makes the most sense for the team. He is not going to be cheap and let Paulie walk away because he didn't want to give him 5 years/$65 million. He will, however, let him walk if other teams are willing to give him $15 million per year. Jerry is not cheap! That is a big myth. In the past he has gone out and thrown money at so-called big free agents such as Albert Belle, Jamie Navarro, and Bartolo Colon (via trade). He is a very smart businessman, and he has one of the best minds in baseball (Kenny Williams) running his team. Don't worry about what happens this winter. They will do whatever makes us most competitive. We were all kind of nervous after Maggs walked, and Lee was traded last year, but that worked out better than we could have possibly imagined. The White Sox are going to be fine. Jerry, Kenny, and Ozzie won't let us down.

soxrme
11-10-2005, 05:25 AM
I think he will do whatever it takes. He did it with the Bulls when they made their run.

Hitmen77
11-10-2005, 08:09 AM
Not only will the Sox get increase revenue from ticket sales, but I can only imagine that skybox, terrace suites, and stadium club revenue will increase too.

Even if JR was "cheap" (which he isn't), at this point it wouldn't make good business sense to NOT take this increased revenue and reinvest it in the product to help keep it marketable.

mwc44
11-10-2005, 08:10 AM
I think he will do whatever it takes. He did it with the Bulls when they made their run.

... but remember, Jordan was not paid his worth until the second run began. JR is one of the most popular people in Chicago right now, and I don't think he'll want to lose that popularity. But don't forget, he's never thrown around money foolishly.

He and KW will get and keep the best they can... then it's up to the 25 guys between the lines.

MadetoOrta
11-10-2005, 08:34 AM
JR will do what's necessary without throwing the economics out of whack. The Red Cubs and Yankees have TV and radio deals that blow ours away. $85 million would be a sound payroll number. Anything beyond that puts JR and KW in the unenviable position [should the Sox incur injuries and not be in contention around August 1st] of having to dump salaries. There's a balance here. The Sox just proved how to win in the post-steroids era of major league baseball. Teams will follow our model. JR will do what's right. PK at $17 million per for 5 years ISN'T RIGHT!

caulfield12
11-10-2005, 08:45 AM
JR will do what's necessary without throwing the economics out of whack. The Red Cubs and Yankees have TV and radio deals that blow ours away. $85 million would be a sound payroll number. Anything beyond that puts JR and KW in the unenviable position [should the Sox incur injuries and not be in contention around August 1st] of having to dump salaries. There's a balance here. The Sox just proved how to win in the post-steroids era of major league baseball. Teams will follow our model. JR will do what's right. PK at $17 million per for 5 years ISN'T RIGHT!

The most obvious choices for a July 31st fire sale would undoubtedly be Contreras, Garland, especially if he signs for only one season, Rowand and possibly Crede, if the White Sox feel that he will never sign with them long term and Josh Fields looks ready.

Chicken Dinner
11-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Money doesn't always win Championships.............Right George!

soxfanatlanta
11-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Money doesn't always win Championships.............Right George!

+1

Right on the mark, bubba. I'm sure he will do the right thing, problem is...what is the right thing to do here? My head is spinning after thinking of all the possible moves he could make. This team is a classical "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts"; JR/KW will need to take great care to keep that lightning in the bottle. I hope he does it.

Madvora
11-10-2005, 09:46 AM
A lot of people are talking about salary increases. We have just proven that you don't need to load the team up with a bunch of expensive players to win anything. All you need is a smart manager and a smart GM who can work together. It's common sense what type of team will win. The Sox are in the upper half, maybe upper 1/3rd? in payroll. I'm not concerned about that at all.

Ol' No. 2
11-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Am I the only one bemused at the tidal wave of Jerry Reinsdorf love over the last few weeks?

soxfanatlanta
11-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Am I the only one bemused at the tidal wave of Jerry Reinsdorf love over the last few weeks?

The sun has to shine on a sleeping dog's butt once in a while.

I have no idea what that means, but I heard it used in this way once before.

:smile:

slavko
11-10-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm getting misty eyed...
Take a deep breath:
1. All Sluggers are Overvalued.
2. All Sluggers are Overpaid.
3. Most of us were calling PK bad names when he was calling out Uribe for dekeing DLee and the like...
4. He isn't worth more than $12M, even if we give him more and we might.
5. He wasn't the most important cog in the wheel, even if he is the most visible. The pitching staff was. That's where the money should go.

Palehose13
11-10-2005, 10:51 AM
I have to first to say Iam still in a fantastic mood from the world series-still in heaven. The question that lingers in my mind is will jerry do the right thing and grab this city by the throat by putting more money into this team so the run can be substained? I am not expecting the sox to be in the top 5 in payroll, but I do expect the top 8 now, they are defending champions. These guys made a ton of money with post season and next years ticket sales. I also have doubts in mind about jerry sorry-worse case scenarios lol-what is your take?

Ok...who is this, Lip or Hangar?

Steelrod
11-10-2005, 10:59 AM

Its about time! Has run the club rationally for 25 years. Thats a long time. We are also the World Champions. If the papers are right, he offered Konerko a more than fair deal if Paulie indeed wants to stay. If not, I am sure his replacement will be more than ok.
As far as the press goes, they will never like JR, and JR will never play their games. Current ownership has given us what Comiskey, Veeck, Allyn, Allyn, and Veeck again never did. It's funny that money wise, Veeck was as cheap as they come and he was beloved. The press did that! JR hasn't a clue or the desire to go that route.
Can't wait until opening day- I so miss baseball!

zmz723
11-10-2005, 11:03 AM

yep... he brought in the sworn enemy of the bulls in dennis rodman to win some more titles.

I think it worked out pretty well

voodoochile
11-10-2005, 11:03 AM
... but remember, Jordan was not paid his worth until the second run began. JR is one of the most popular people in Chicago right now, and I don't think he'll want to lose that popularity. But don't forget, he's never thrown around money foolishly.

He and KW will get and keep the best they can... then it's up to the 25 guys between the lines.

Jordan traded the chance for a big payday for long term security (as Frank did with his first big contract). It isn't JR's fault that MJ did that. In response to the assertion that MJ deserved more money sooner, JR continued to pay MJ his NBA salary while he was "retired" and playing baseball for the Sox minor leagues. Turned out to be a great business decision as MJ was still under contract to the Bulls/Sox when he unretired and returned to basketball.

voodoochile
11-10-2005, 11:05 AM
yep... he brought in the sworn enemy of the bulls in dennis rodman to win some more titles.

I think it worked out pretty well

LOL!

Yeah, I remember when the rumor mill started churning on that one. If I had known, Will Purdue's number, I would have offered him a ride to San Antonio. "So, Will, when we leaving. I can be there in an hour..."

MadetoOrta
11-10-2005, 11:10 AM

Not really. The major criticism of JR [and I'm guilty of it] was the only way to compete for a World Championship was to spend our way to the top. JR and KW [like the Marlins] proved me and others wrong. I'm honest enough to admit that I was wrong. JR's done some PR things that hurt the club but face it ,,,, he did what the Allyns and Veeck couldn't do, bring us a World Championship. If you can't give props to JR now, you never will.

MadetoOrta
11-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Jordan traded the chance for a big payday for long term security (as Frank did with his first big contract). It isn't JR's fault that MJ did that. In response to the assertion that MJ deserved more money sooner, JR continued to pay MJ his NBA salary while he was "retired" and playing baseball for the Sox minor leagues. Turned out to be a great business decision as MJ was still under contract to the Bulls/Sox when he unretired and returned to basketball.

Had to add, Scottie Pippen made the same mistake. JR warned him not to take a long-term deal because his salary would become average by the middle of the contract. [I believe the Bulls' offer was 4 years and Scottie wanted the longer term.] Scottie signed anyway and then bitched and moaned about being mistreated and disrespected. Some of the Indians [like Sizemore] and Carl Crawford [5 more years at - I believe - $5 million] will soon start bitching about their contracts too. JR got a raw deal on the Pippen deal.

CLR01
11-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Now would be the perfect time to move this team to Mexico and I think that is what Jerry is going to do.You suck Jerry. :angry:

Steelrod
11-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Now would be the perfect time to move this team to Mexico and I think that is what Jerry is going to do.You suck Jerry. :angry:

You might want to consider therapy !

CLR01
11-10-2005, 01:25 PM
You might want to consider therapy !

Theropy is what got me to that point. I have a great doctor.

Lip Man 1
11-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Sorry to burst the bubble of some folks but Jerry Reinsdorf will not do 'anything' to keep winning.

Jerry Reinsdorf will do 'anything' that is financially prudent to him and his shareholders regarding the White Sox.

I am not saying this is good or bad, I'm not passing judgement here but those who think Jerry Reinsdorf will start flushing money down the toilet to keep winning are delusional.

The man's whole life and history shows he is the exact opposite of that and he has never been one to care about what people think of him.

"You can’t win today, if you’re going to do it like Calvin Griffith (Minnesota) or Bill Veeck did. But there is no guarantee you are going to win if you spend a lot of money – if you’re not smart about it." – Jerry Reinsdorf to the Chicago Sun - Times’ Ray Sons. September 18, 1983.

"We both realize that this is not religion or life and death. We look at it as entertainment. All of a sudden there’s a five million dollar scoreboard up there, and you have to remember this is a business and emotion shouldn’t enter into it." – Eddie Einhorn to Bob Logan. From the book ‘Miracle On 35th Street’ by Bob Logan. Pg.151. Published 1983.

"For all his interest in what happened between the first- and third-base lines, or between the sidelines and the endlines, he never wavered in his commitment to the bottom line."–From the book ‘The Jordan Rules’ by Sam Smith. Pg. 49. Published 1991

"Jerry cares about his limited partners. He wants to make sure that they don’t lose money. In that respect both he and Bill Veeck are alike, they both cared about the others in the ownership group. He told me one time during an interview that he was ‘financially secure but he doesn’t have the resources like the Yankees and won’t extend himself.’ He would rather choose to break even then go bankrupt."– Rich Lindberg to WSI’s Mark Liptak. From his interview, April 14, 2002.

"I read the papers, I see people say you shouldn't have a budget, we should sell the team and all that I don't believe in that. I believe you should do what we've tried to do. We have a philosophy to try to run it at even. We haven't paid a dividend in 24 years. Our group isn't in business to lose the kind of money that Arizona loses and the Dodgers lose —— $40 (million) to $50 million a year. We're not in that business. Jerry's philosophy is we try to run it, most of the time, on an even basis. I feel the same way. As much as I want to win, I wouldn't have any fun being in this business if I ran a team to lose money just to win —— or with the hope of winning. I don't think that's a good way to run a team. It's the philosophy, and I think it's a good one. If we lose, we're not going to lose a lot."– Eddie Einhorn to Phil Arvia, sports columnist, Chicago Daily Southtown, February 4, 2004.

Lip

caulfield12
11-10-2005, 01:31 PM

We won with the 13th highest payroll...just because we won doesn´t automatically mean we would have a better chance to win again if we spent $100 million versus $85, but it is obviously how wisely you spend the money.

Five years from now, you might see a poster criticizing JR for signing that ridiculous PK contract...how it was the WRONG thing to do for the franchise and how we were stuck with a $15 million dollar salary for a $10 million dollar player...and how that forced the White Sox to deal starting pitchers and break up their championship team for good in 2007.

voodoochile
11-10-2005, 01:44 PM
"I read the papers, I see people say you shouldn't have a budget, we should sell the team and all that I don't believe in that. I believe you should do what we've tried to do. We have a philosophy to try to run it at even. We haven't paid a dividend in 24 years. Our group isn't in business to lose the kind of money that Arizona loses and the Dodgers lose —— $40 (million) to $50 million a year. We're not in that business. Jerry's philosophy is we try to run it, most of the time, on an even basis. I feel the same way. As much as I want to win, I wouldn't have any fun being in this business if I ran a team to lose money just to win —— or with the hope of winning. I don't think that's a good way to run a team. It's the philosophy, and I think it's a good one. If we lose, we're not going to lose a lot."– Eddie Einhorn to Phil Arvia, sports columnist, Chicago Daily Southtown, February 4, 2004.

Lip

In short, the one quote from a guy actually on the BOD seems to imply the Sox will up payroll significantly this season - especially if they continue to follow the no dividend rule. That should allow them a payroll between $90-100M.

Who you crapping, Lip?

Hitmen77
11-10-2005, 03:49 PM

After a series of astounding PR blunders during his first ~16 years of ownership, this is what Sox fans disgruntled with JR have been saying for years: Win the World Series and all will be forgiven. So this sudden love for him is not surprising at all.

I'm not one of them, but I knew fans who still held a grudge against him for the '94 strike and the '97 white flag trade. I'm not surprised that a World Series win has "wiped the slate clean" in terms of still holding grudges over things that happened 10 years ago (strike, white flag trade).

WSoxFanForever
11-10-2005, 04:07 PM
I really feel JR is committed to the Sox. He certainly strung together many exciting championships for the Bulls. I think he really enjoyed his team winning the WS.

34 Inch Stick
11-10-2005, 04:19 PM
In short, the one quote from a guy actually on the BOD seems to imply the Sox will up payroll significantly this season - especially if they continue to follow the no dividend rule. That should allow them a payroll between $90-100M.

Who you crapping, Lip?

I don't think your and Lip's posts are in conflict with each other. Lip said JR would do what is financially prudent while attempting to win. Your post is showing what will be financially prudent for this year.

I would like to know if the yearly reinvestment of profits only determines the budget for the following year or if there is some long term allocation to cover a situation where revenue is widely divergent in consecutive years.

Flight #24
11-10-2005, 04:21 PM

Exactly. The answer to the question is that Jerry will give KW the budget that would allow them to resign Konerko. At that point, it'll be a question of whether or not KW thinks it's the best use of those funds to keep Konerko at whatever the market rate ends up being or if he can make better use of that $$$.

Lip Man 1
11-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Voodoo:

I don't know what's going to happen and I don't take a side in this. My point was that certain people on this thread seem to think all bets are off regarding issues like budgets and such. That is not the case and never will be for this ownership group. That is the point I was trying to make with the quotes.

The Sox will be having to make difficult choices on who to keep and who to let go based on their financial situation. That's just the way it is. So for those folks who think the Sox will re-sign everyone and go out and spend oddles (you like that word?) of money, they are sadly mistaken.

That does not mean they will not raise payroll, it means the Sox payroll will not be 'unlimited' in order to keep winning.

Lip

voodoochile
11-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Voodoo:

I don't know what's going to happen and I don't take a side in this. My point was that certain people on this thread seem to think all bets are off regarding issues like budgets and such. That is not the case and never will be for this ownership group. That is the point I was trying to make with the quotes.

The Sox will be having to make difficult choices on who to keep and who to let go based on their financial situation. That's just the way it is. So for those folks who think the Sox will re-sign everyone and go out and spend oddles (you like that word?) of money, they are sadly mistaken.

That does not mean they will not raise payroll, it means the Sox payroll will not be 'unlimited' in order to keep winning.

Lip

Well, you could have said that, but a payroll in the area I suggested is certainly not chopped liver and certainly not one even you should have a beef with.

My complaint is that you seem to want to make it something worse than it is, at least that is the way your post came across to me.

Will the Sox ever have a $150M payroll? Probably not, but everyone should be very happy with recent expenditures, results and the potential for future payroll increases, IMO. Anyone who is trying to paint this ownership group as cheap at this stage of the game needs to at least wait until the signing period gets going before starting to rant and bitch, again, IMO.

Based on recent years only and based on the trend of reinvesting profits in the next years team, how big of a payroll do you expect, Lip?

If they hit that target will you be happy or upset?

If they go out and (once again) plow the profits back into next years team payroll, will you at least acknowledge as much?

I understand you've been flogging the "cheap and timid" horse for a long time and it's hard to put it down, but don't the last few years at least make you cautiously optimistic about the future.

Heck, I hope JR does payout a dividend to his investors and to his longtime loyal employees this season. He should have plenty of money to do that AND raise payroll to a level allowing him to make a serious run at PK AND another bat to strengthen the team's offense.

Your quotes actually give me hope that this will be the case. Of course if the Sox don't go out and make the acquisitions they certainly have the budget for, then you have every right to be upset. I will be too if next years team has Everett and Anderson replacing PK and Frank (for all practical purposes), but since we have no idea if that will be happening, it seems a little premature to be continuing the JR bashing that became so prevalent in the past several years.

bighurt2719
11-10-2005, 05:19 PM

no kidding. we got a lot of kerry-esque flip floppers here at WSI

voodoochile
11-10-2005, 05:20 PM

NO POLITICS! :angry:

jdm2662
11-10-2005, 05:31 PM
No matter what happens, there will be their share that don't like the situation and complain about it. It's just how it is. I agree that JR is not going to go "all out". He is going to do what is ecomoncially fesible for the team. I can't say I blame him. He is a business man with shareholders to satisify. The payroll was bloated at the end of the Bulls run because the Bulls had the revenues to support it. There will be a jump in payroll next season because of extra revenue. Whatever number is going to be, it's still not going to please everyone. It's just life. We just have to wait and see what happens. It's never so much how much money you spend, its the quality you get in return. If they don't sign Konerko (and I think they will), I'm sure KW has a backup plan. He had one when Ordonez didn't sign, and that worked out quite well.

MarySwiss
11-10-2005, 05:45 PM
[QUOTE=Lip Man 1]Sorry to burst the bubble of some folks but Jerry Reinsdorf will not do 'anything' to keep winning.[/QUOTE=Lip Man 1]

Lip, the smart money would say I should probably stay out of this "Clash of the Titans" between you and Voodoo, but re those quotes of yours, here's my two cents....

"You can’t win today, if you’re going to do it like Calvin Griffith (Minnesota) or Bill Veeck did. But there is no guarantee you are going to win if you spend a lot of money – if you’re not smart about it." – Jerry Reinsdorf to the Chicago Sun - Times’ Ray Sons. September 18, 1983.

Agreed. But trying to keep as much of a championship team intact as you possibly can would be considered "smart" in most circles.

"We both realize that this is not religion or life and death. We look at it as entertainment. All of a sudden there’s a five million dollar scoreboard up there, and you have to remember this is a business and emotion shouldn’t enter into it." – Eddie Einhorn to Bob Logan. From the book ‘Miracle On 35th Street’ by Bob Logan. Pg.151. Published 1983.

Agreed--in theory. But do you really think it's possible to keep emotion from entering into it?

"For all his interest in what happened between the first- and third-base lines, or between the sidelines and the endlines, he never wavered in his commitment to the bottom line."–From the book ‘The Jordan Rules’ by Sam Smith. Pg. 49. Published 1991

Sam Smith's opinion.

"Jerry cares about his limited partners. He wants to make sure that they don’t lose money. In that respect both he and Bill Veeck are alike, they both cared about the others in the ownership group. He told me one time during an interview that he was ‘financially secure but he doesn’t have the resources like the Yankees and won’t extend himself.’ He would rather choose to break even then go bankrupt."– Rich Lindberg to WSI’s Mark Liptak. From his interview, April 14, 2002.

Rich Lindberg's opinion. (And although I am a big Lindberg fan, it's still his opinion, based on a quote which he interpreted.)

Agreed. But the Sox just won the World Series, so they will not be losing money, at least not in the near-term.

That said, of course the payroll is not unlimited. But barring any ridiculous demands by anyone, I bellieve Jerry will "do the right thing." That obviously means trying to build on this year's success.

Which, after all, is what we all want.

richb2
11-10-2005, 05:46 PM
I agree you do not have to spend 150 million dollars on a payroll -but money does count. the Sox were and astros were both a little bit of flukes payroll wise getting there-it will not happen every year. If money did not matter than the royals would be in the world series every year if they had a great farm system and general manager. I am hopefull that jerry will do most of the right things. These guys who own the sox are not poor-they made bundles of money off the bulls-they do have deep pockets. I want the payroll to high enough so that this team can contend like how it was built. I think to be realistic your team has to be somewhere near the top ten in payroll or you will just be catching lighting in a bottle. I do chuckle to myself when a great huge number of soxfans not all say, how jerry has been a great owner-if you went back 4 years in time or 3 a certain percentage of sox fans could not stomach him any longer. Just look at that one story that was an open letter to Jerry on the home page off this website. . I am in sports heaven still when thinking about the sox and this past post season but 5 percent of me worries about jerry, I still remember the past.

Lip Man 1
11-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Voodoo:

Given that they have to resign Paulie (or make a deal / free agent signing to replace him) and given the fact that they also need a second big bat (Thomas is a question mark right now and Everett has been let go) I'd think you'd need a minimum of 85 million. Two big bats or one plus Paulie is going to cost about ten million a season.

Now I could even say 90 million is more realistic given that you have arbitration cases as well.

I will say I think Jerry has raised the stakes the last few years which is good however the Sox always had a hole or two which is what caused them to self destruct in the years 2001 through 2004 so obviously the payroll wasn't high enough to get the job done.

I'll be very curious to see what happens. By all accounts ticket sales should be much higher and Uncle Jerry himself has always said if the fans come out he will spend. I guess we'll know soon enough.

Mary:

Perhaps Jerry has changed I hope so but I recall (and have the audio as well) of Jerry himself saying that he never realized how expensive winning would be, (i.e. the following off season required raises and so forth.) he said this after the 1983 season. Is it coincidence that less then two years later the Sox payroll was cut way back and he followed the policy of collusion against free agents?

We'll have to see how it shakes out. I think the payroll will be increased, how much is the question and will that be enough to give the Sox a serious chance to do something they have never done in their history....make the post season in consecutive years.

Lip

FielderJones
11-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Current ownership has given us what Comiskey, Veeck, Allyn, Allyn, and Veeck again never did.

Actually, Comiskey gave us that twice as many times as current ownership.

Hitmen77
11-10-2005, 09:14 PM

keep your politics to yourself.

voodoochile
11-10-2005, 10:18 PM

"Us?" :?:

Flight #24
11-10-2005, 10:30 PM

I assume you're referring to Mr Wood's elbow flopping around prior to his annual visit with Dr Jobe?

Steelrod
11-11-2005, 06:02 AM
I was of course speaking of J. Lewis Comiskey, and Dorothy Wrigney-Chuck Comiskey.
However, if you want to go all the way back to the Old Roman, I remind you that there were no playoffs then and current ownership had 1983-1990--1993-2005. Using your perspective, current ownership historically tops anything ownership of both sides of Chicago have achieved....ever!

lostletters
11-11-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm getting misty eyed...
Take a deep breath:
1. All Sluggers are Overvalued.
2. All Sluggers are Overpaid.
3. Most of us were calling PK bad names when he was calling out Uribe for dekeing DLee and the like...
4. He isn't worth more than $12M, even if we give him more and we might.
5. He wasn't the most important cog in the wheel, even if he is the most visible. The pitching staff was. That's where the money should go.

My thought exactly.

Don't sacrafice the best pitching Staff in the majors that took YEARS to build for bats. PK may be a solid player, but I rather have AJ and the Arms around in the long term. (Good catchers are very rare asset.)