PDA

View Full Version : Sox offer Paulie a contract!

WSoxFanForever
11-09-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm watching ESPN and they put this on the Hot List, then, of course, have been ignoring it for the last half hour. Anyone have details?

mike squires
11-09-2005, 03:56 PM
This is the first I've heard of it. I get all my news from WSI. :)

Whatever is on the table, Paulie would be a fool to accept it. He definately would wait and hear other offers from other teams.

Flight #24
11-09-2005, 03:57 PM
IIRC, there were numerous reports that they had prepared a 4-yr/$52M offer for Paulie. This is likely what was finally offered.

WSoxFanForever
11-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Oh, he won't accept it right away, but I want to know what it is and if it seems competitive. I really want PK back with us.

nccwsfan
11-09-2005, 04:02 PM
The unconfirmed report is 4 years, $52 million. PK will still test the market but his starting price looks to be about $13 million per...

Deuce
11-09-2005, 04:14 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61983

Once again, ESPN is behind on the times.

doublem23
11-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Whatever is on the table, Paulie would be a fool to accept it. He definately would wait and hear other offers from other teams.

Agreed. I'm sure he wants to see if Tom Hicks wants to throw him $25 million/year.

ViPeRx007
11-09-2005, 06:39 PM
I know nobody can really answer this but I'm curious. If Paulie is offered, say, $14 mil/year for 5 years by the Sox and is offered $15-$16 mil/year by (whoever else), do you think he'd leave?

Of course my $ figures are just estimates, you can really put any dollar amount you want in there. I guess I'm wondering how much of a gap there would have to be? I'd like to think if it were a $1-$2 mil difference between here and somewhere else, he might stick around. If he's really not all about the money, I wouldn't think he'd have a problem with it. In all honesty, he's set for life either way in the income dept....

MarySwiss
11-09-2005, 06:47 PM
I know nobody can really answer this but I'm curious. If Paulie is offered, say, $14 mil/year for 5 years by the Sox and is offered $15-$16 mil/year by (whoever else), do you think he'd leave?

Of course my $ figures are just estimates, you can really put any dollar amount you want in there. I guess I'm wondering how much of a gap there would have to be? I'd like to think if it were a $1-$2 mil difference between here and somewhere else, he might stick around. If he's really not all about the money, I wouldn't think he'd have a problem with it. In all honesty, he's set for life either way in the income dept....

Just my two cents, but I think if Paulie is offered something that KW considers reasonable, he'll match it or even go a bit over. I truly believe Paulie wants to stay with the Sox, so we have the edge.

However, again IMO, KW will not get into a bidding war, nor should he. Let's just hope that both sides will be levelheaded and get this thing done.

Soxfest
11-09-2005, 06:50 PM
I like PK but 15 mil a year forget it.

caulfield12
11-09-2005, 07:00 PM

The big problem comes with the players´union. They always push for the highest possible salary....so there will be pressure on Paulie to take the biggest contract, since his deal sets the tone for the rest of the market.

The same thing happened when A-Rod wanted to renegotiate his deal down to make it easier to either deal him or bring other players in to support what they were trying to build in Texas.

I think Paulie will go with his gut, but that extra $1-2 million would mean an extra $500,000-1,500,000 for everyone who ¨slots¨ in underneath him...much like the first round draft selections for the NBA or NFL draft.