PDA

View Full Version : WSox Historians: Bahnsen Near No-Hitter

TomBradley72
11-09-2005, 03:16 PM
White Sox historians....any insights into Bahnsen's near no hitter in the early 70's? One of very few 2 outs in the 9th inning blown no hitters. Was Melton criticized for how he went after Williams' ground single to left? Any other memories/insights?

Listened to the radio call from Harry:

http://www.chicagobaseballphotos.com/b/bahnsenstan/index.htm

Vernam
11-09-2005, 06:23 PM
"Historian" has a nicer ring than "old-timer." :cool: I was watching as a youngster and thought Bahnsen's body language indicated he was disappointed or even peeved with Melton. For me as a kid back then, Melton could do no wrong, but people said he shouldn't have been playing in so close. He was good with the glove -- those things just happen.

I'd never trust anything Harry Caray says.

Vernam

Wsoxmike59
11-09-2005, 07:00 PM
I remember watching the end of that game on Ch 44 and was heartbroken for Stan Bahnsen that he didn't get the no hitter.

I remember the picture in the Sun Times the next day showed Stan reacting with a pained expression on his face the instant the ball got through the INF past a drawn in Bill Melton.

Melton said he was playing in guarding against the bunt, and after the game Walt Williams said if it was against any other team in the league BUT the White Sox, that "he would've bunted" to bust up the no hitter.

But since this was his former team just the previous season, he was going to swing away and let what ever happens happen.

I remember the following year in 1974, Dick Allen broke up a Nolan Ryan near no hitter at Comiskey Park on an "excuse me" check swing that ended up as a slow roller down the 3B line and Allen beat out Dave Chalk's throw to 1B. Ryan like Bahnsen the season before had to settle for a 1 hitter that night.

Lip Man 1
11-09-2005, 07:21 PM
This is the last White Sox game I saw for a very long time because I went off to college at the University of Kentucky the next morning and they were squarly in the middle of Reds country.

Bill Melton was also involved in another near no hitter on May 26, 1976 in Anaheim. A controversial call caused Ken Brett to lose his no hitter with two out in the 9th, Melton then got the Angels only legit hit. Harry Caray and the Anaheim crowd went bonkers over the call (I have about ten minutes of audio from that game...)

http://www.retrosheet.org/

Lip

Wsoxmike59
11-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Lip I remember listening to that game on the radio, and IIRC Jorge Orta was playing 3B that night, and he basically butchered an easy play hit right to him with 2 out in the 9th! and Brett lost his chance at baseball immortality. Hometown scoring ruled it a hit and Brett lost his no hitter!

But the Sox being the Sox, it was a 0-0 game at the end of 9 and the Sox won it 11 innings 1-0. At least they won it, during the game all I was thinking of was poor Harvey Haddix.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B05260CAL1976.htm

TDog
11-09-2005, 09:45 PM
... Hometown scoring ruled it a hit and Brett lost his no hitter. ...

Brett pitched for the Angels after that, and when he retired, he was an Angels announcer. I always found that strange because my memory of Ken Brett with the Sox was not his failure as a pitcher-hitting-in-lieu-of-a-DH, but as a pitcher losing a no-hitter on the radio because of Jorge Orta.

I had forgotten that Bill Melton was playing for the Angels that night or that Walt "No-Neck" Williams who replaced Melton at third the day Melton won the home-run title in 1971, was the hitter who broke up the Bahnsen no-hitter.