PDA

View Full Version : Piazza?

TimoPerez
11-09-2005, 02:55 PM
The rumor mentioned by Tom Verducci on WFAN today here in New York is that Mike Piazza will go to either the White Sox or Angels where he may catch one or two games a week and DH the rest. He wants to play for a competitive team. He's not the #1 option for the Angels.

Don't kill the messenger. If the Sox re-sign The Big Hurt then this is unnecessary but I just thought I'd let you know what I heard.

The Dude
11-09-2005, 02:59 PM
The rumor mentioned by Tom Verducci on WFAN today here in New York is that Mike Piazza will go to either the White Sox or Angelswhere he may catch one or two games a week and DH the rest. He wants to play for a competitive team. He's not the #1 option for the Angels.

Don't kill the messenger. If the Sox re-sign The Big Hurt then this is unnecessary but I just thought I'd let you know what I heard.

If he did come here and we have AJ and Widge locked up...no need for him to catch. DH/1b would be the only places I would throw him. I suppose I wouldnt mind him if we cant work something out with Frank. He must be accepting a huge pay cut though.

Flight #24
11-09-2005, 03:04 PM
The rumor mentioned by Tom Verducci on WFAN today here in New York is that Mike Piazza will go to either the White Sox or Angelswhere he may catch one or two games a week and DH the rest. He wants to play for a competitive team. He's not the #1 option for the Angels.

While I'd love it not to be true, Frank's not reliable anymore because of injuries. Piazza's also wearing down. Assuming Mike's fairly inexpensive ($5M?), that's not a bad combo at DH, with the ability to get both bats in the lineup occasionally by catching Piazza infrequently.

TimoPerez
11-09-2005, 03:04 PM
If he did come here and we have AJ and Widge locked up...no need for him to catch. DH/1b would be the only places I would throw him. I suppose I wouldnt mind him if we cant work something out with Frank. He must be accepting a huge pay cut though.

I expect him to sign for about $5 Million. Despite his decline he is still one of the best offensive catchers in the game. Playing in a hitter's park as opposed to Shea couldn't hurt him either.

nccwsfan
11-09-2005, 03:10 PM
DH is fine provided the $$ is right. I don't think he'll be needed at catcher too often with AJ and Widge...

The Dude
11-09-2005, 03:12 PM
I expect him to sign for about $5 Million. Despite his decline he is still one of the best offensive catchers in the game. Playing in a hitter's park as opposed to Shea couldn't hurt him either.

Well if we can pay the Stache 5 million, I suppose I could go with Piazza for 5.

TimoPerez
11-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Well if we can pay the Stache 5 million, I suppose I could go with Piazza for 5.

:manos

"Fear the Stache"

:D:

TomSkilling
11-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Piazza for $5 mil?? I think that's nuts. The guy is gonna be 37 years old and in the last 3 years has averaged somewhere around less than 20 hrs and 50 rbis. He was around 400 abs in the last two years and still put up those average numbers.....Frank had 1/4 of those abs this year and still hit 12 hrs!

Nobody knows if piazza will return to his late 90's/early 2000's numbers. If he does do that playing DH, then yeah he'd definietely be worth it.

However, I think he's about the same risk as Frank and I'd rather give that money to the big hurt. Actually I'd rather give that money towards Paulie, but we've been discussing this a lot already....

greenpeach
11-09-2005, 08:02 PM

Have you ever seen Piazza play first base ? He makes David Ortiz look like a gold glove winner.

Deadguy
11-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Piazza has steadilly declined every year this decade. I wouldn't want him for $5, let alone 5 million, since he will be nothing but a liability. We don't need to simply sign a "name" player to draw people to the stands since WE ARE THE WORLD CHAMPS.

antitwins13
11-09-2005, 08:36 PM
I'm sorry but,

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61575

I predicted this.

veeter
11-09-2005, 08:49 PM
No way Mike Piazza comes to the Sox.

Banix12
11-09-2005, 09:34 PM
While we are on the subject of DH/3rd string catchers, would anybody here consider Matt LeCroy a bench option? He'll probably come a little cheaper than Piazza and likely give the team similar power production.

antitwins13
11-09-2005, 09:41 PM
While we are on the subject of DH/3rd string catchers, would anybody here consider Matt LeCroy a bench option? He'll probably come a little cheaper than Piazza and likely give the team similar power production.

I'd only sign Matt LeCroy if the Sox were seceding from MLB and joining a Beer League Softball association.

Taliesinrk
11-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Have you ever seen Piazza play first base ? He makes David Ortiz look like a gold glove winner.

If signed could we count Italy as another country represented? Hurry.. someone make a pic of Piazza in a SOX uni.. that way he can't come play for us...

mike squires
11-09-2005, 11:28 PM
This sounds like a Ron Schuler kind of move. A move or two like this could seriously damage this club for years to come. The only thing different is our pitching is much better than previous years.

I also don't take much stock in the rumor.

Ya got to bring in the Hurt and gamble. Have something in the contract similar to Maggs (required to play so many games) Konerko (if he comes back) takes a big load of management not to sign Frank since Paulie's popularity has sky rocketed.

No Piazza, please!!!

HotelWhiteSox
11-10-2005, 12:07 AM
Hurry.. someone make a pic of Piazza in a SOX uni.. that way he can't come play for us...

Hmm, interesting theory...

http://www.thediamondangle.com/archive/aug01/oak/canseco.jpg

Oh Crap, that really did happen?!?! :wired:

Tragg
11-10-2005, 12:20 AM
Bring back the Hurt and bring in an improvement for the bench hitting (which wouldn't be hard to do) - the bench will give us some insurance.

MadetoOrta
11-10-2005, 08:41 AM
I don't want Piazza either. I will say during the playoffs when he did color commentary for ESPN, Piazza was effusive in his praise of Ozzie, the White Sox and all things Chicago. Sounded like he was pandering to the city of Chicago and White Sox fans. He also - for the record - provided better insight on nuances of th game than anyone else. Of course, a laboratory rat could do a better job analyzing a baseball game than Berman.

mdep524
11-10-2005, 10:48 AM
I don't want Piazza either. I will say during the playoffs when he did color commentary for ESPN, Piazza was effusive in his praise of Ozzie, the White Sox and all things Chicago. Sounded like he was pandering to the city of Chicago and White Sox fans. He also - for the record - provided better insight on nuances of th game than anyone else. Of course, a laboratory rat could do a better job analyzing a baseball game than Berman. I remember thinking the same thing during the ALDS. (I also thought ALCS commentator Piniella might want Ozzie's job if he resigned.) I keep saying this- Piazza is going to have a solid season next year.

Compare playing in the AL at DH in a hitter's park to playing in the NL as a catcher is an extreme pitcher's park. He's a good guy, seems like a team player and still has a few good DH years left in the tank. That said, I don't think he's the best option for the Sox in particular, but I think he's going to surprise a bunch of people here next year with whatever team he plays for.