PDA

View Full Version : Yanks looking to trade Posada

Paulwny
11-09-2005, 10:05 AM
From the NY Daily News:
"that contract is the reason the Yanks are interested in moving him. Posada, 34, will make $8 million next season, and if he starts just 81 games at catcher, a clause in his deal guarantees his 2007 option at a massive $12 million salary."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/363838p-309841c.html

Baby Fisk
11-09-2005, 10:10 AM
The core Yankee team of 1996-2005 is over. It looks like they are entering a phase of Dismantling and Rebuilding. They almost had to -- they used something like 12 starting pitchers last year? Wild.

soxfanatlanta
11-09-2005, 10:20 AM
I wonder who would want to take on that contract of his. $12 mil is a lot of money for a catcher who's numbers have steadily declined over the past few years, especially his OBP.

It would be a major changing of the guard if he was traded; he was one of the Yankees I enjoyed watching during their run, but all good things must come to an end (actually it ended several years ago, they are only admitting it now).

eriqjaffe
11-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Let's get Jorge Posada, and then make him DH so he can't get the $12 million in 2007!

Paulwny
11-09-2005, 10:29 AM
Another case of eating part of a contract by NY in order to make a trade. I wonder how much they've spent on these type of deals over the years ?

Ol' No. 2
11-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Another case of eating part of a contract by NY in order to make a trade. I wonder how much they've spent on these type of deals over the years ?I wonder how many players around the league are having at least part of their salary paid by the Yankees? Maybe they just discoverd a new form of revenue sharing.:cool:

Paulwny
11-09-2005, 10:52 AM
I wonder how many players around the league are having at least part of their salary paid by the Yankees? Maybe they just discoverd a new form of revenue sharing.:cool:

Do you know if this money is listed as a team's player pay-roll or is it hidden under misc. expenses?
George's player pay-roll could actually be > $215 mil if the money is listed as misc.

SouthSoxFan
11-09-2005, 11:13 AM
I'll bet the total is less than the amount of A-Rod's salary that is being picked up by the Texas Rangers for the Yankee's benefit.

veeter
11-09-2005, 11:17 AM
The core Yankee team of 1996-2005 is over. It looks like they are entering a phase of Dismantling and Rebuilding. They almost had to -- they used something like 12 starting pitchers last year? Wild. Trading away all your prospects has to catch up with you sometime. Here's to some real down times for the Yanks.

Paulwny
11-09-2005, 11:32 AM
I'll bet the total is less than the amount of A-Rod's salary that is being picked up by the Texas Rangers for the Yankee's benefit.

Aren't the Rangers paying $6 mil/yr. I would think the yanks are paying out more than this to players around the league. Don't they pay the sox $4mil/yr for Contreras' contract ?

Palehose13
11-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Let's get Jorge Posada, and then make him DH so he can't get the $12 million in 2007!

I would have interest in Posada at DH if Frank isn't coming back.

Flight #24
11-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Do you know if this money is listed as a team's player pay-roll or is it hidden under misc. expenses?
George's player pay-roll could actually be > $215 mil if the money is listed as misc.

IIRC, payroll for luxury tax purposes does not include cash sent along with players in trade. However, I'd think that calculations for revenue sharing purposes would include all payments to players including that type of cash.

bobowhite
11-09-2005, 11:49 AM
There is only one team that would take a gamble on a moderately productive hitter like Posada at that type of salary. Unfortunately, he is already playing for that team.

Nobody, and I do mean NOBODY, is so stupid as to take him under these conditions.

Randar68
11-09-2005, 12:03 PM
From the NY Daily News:
"that contract is the reason the Yanks are interested in moving him. Posada, 34, will make $8 million next season, and if he starts just 81 games at catcher, a clause in his deal guarantees his 2007 option at a massive $12 million salary."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/363838p-309841c.html
That's why they'll either trade him or DH him enough so he doesn't reach the 12 million dollar option...

At this point in his career, he might be wise to move to 1B or DH and only catch part of the time... it has really taken a lot out of him at the plate the last 2 years.

wilburaga
11-09-2005, 12:09 PM
There is only one team that would take a gamble on a moderately productive hitter like Posada at that type of salary. Unfortunately, he is already playing for that team.

Nobody, and I do mean NOBODY, is so stupid as to take him under these conditions.

I would agree with you, but recent history gives me pause. I couldn't believe it when the Orioles acquired Sosa, nor could I believe the package the Tigers gave Maggs, especially when it appeared no other team was competing for him.

W

antitwins13
11-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Trading away all your prospects has to catch up with you sometime. Here's to some real down times for the Yanks.

With a payroll of over $200 mil the Spanks will see no downtime. They will win the division for at least the next 5 years. Take it to the bank.

Chisox003
11-09-2005, 12:34 PM
With a payroll of over $200 mil the Spanks will see no downtime. They will win the division for at least the next 5 years. Take it to the bank.
Nope.

2006 will most likely see the Sawx and Yanks battling for the top again, but 2007 will be up for grabs....

The Blue Jays are expanding payroll too, and they actually DEVELOP talent in their farm system, and those guys are starting to arrive....

The D-Rays have a boat load of young talent, especially in the OF. Delmon Young, Baldelli, Gomes, Crawford, then in the IF Cantu, Upton, pitching they got Kazmir...The core is there, they just needed to get rid of that idiot of a GM, the Rays are headed in the right direction...

The Orioles I honestly don't know......

But not developing players (or trading them all away) is definitely going to catch up with NYY sooner rather than later (We already started seeing effects last year), and I think we'll see it in '07...Take it to the bank.

Paulwny
11-09-2005, 12:38 PM
That's why they'll either trade him or DH him enough so he doesn't reach the 12 million dollar option...

At this point in his career, he might be wise to move to 1B or DH and only catch part of the time... it has really taken a lot out of him at the plate the last 2 years.

This may get interesting if he isn't traded. Torre, being known as a "players' manager" and having an up mostly down relationship with King George may do his best to give Posada the opportunity to catch 81 games.

bobowhite
11-09-2005, 12:50 PM
I would agree with you, but recent history gives me pause. I couldn't believe it when the Orioles acquired Sosa, nor could I believe the package the Tigers gave Maggs, especially when it appeared no other team was competing for him.

W

Those deals at least had some value and both teams were fairly desperate to show they were doing something. I just don't think any GM, Moneyballer or not is going to give a 30+ year old catcher $12 million per year.

doublem23
11-09-2005, 02:08 PM
The core Yankee team of 1996-2005 is over. It looks like they are entering a phase of Dismantling and Rebuilding. They almost had to -- they used something like 12 starting pitchers last year? Wild.

They had 14 pitchers make at least 1 start in 2005: Randy Johnson (34), Mike Mussina (30), Carl Pavano (17), Chien-Ming Wang (17), Kevin Brown (13), Jaret Wright (13), Shawn Chacon (12), Al Lieter (10), Aaron Small (9), Sean Henn (3), Tanyon Sturtze (1), Scott Proctor (1), Darrell May (1), and Tim Redding (1).

Yikes.

They had 28 pitchers toss at least 1 inning for them last year. For reference, the Sox had 17. :o:

Flight #24
11-09-2005, 02:38 PM
They had 14 pitchers make at least 1 start in 2005: Randy Johnson (34), Mike Mussina (30), Carl Pavano (17), Chien-Ming Wang (17), Kevin Brown (13), Jaret Wright (13), Shawn Chacon (12), Al Lieter (10), Aaron Small (9), Sean Henn (3), Tanyon Sturtze (1), Scott Proctor (1), Darrell May (1), and Tim Redding (1).

Yikes.

They had 28 pitchers toss at least 1 inning for them last year. For reference, the Sox had 17. :o:

The really scary thing is that of the 14, 3 are ancient and likely to break down further (Randy, Moose, Leiter), 2 are coming off of serious injuries(Pavano, Wright), 3 are serious question marks for repeating solid performances(Wang, Chacon, Small), and the remaining are pretty much worthless chumps.

Seriously - there isn't one guy on that list that you can look at and say "I know he'll give me 25-30 good starts in '06".:o: :o: :o:

soxfanreggie
11-09-2005, 04:00 PM
I wonder who the Yankees will get when they have like $100 million or more freed up when Kevin Brown, Mike Mussina, Randy Johnson, Hideki Matsui, Bernie Williams, Jason Giambi, Jorge Posada, and a host of others are gone. A-Rod and Jeter cost them about 40+ million a year, but I doubt you'll see them off the team. Mariano is an $11 million closer but he will be around as well. Shef has a LT contract...so you're looking at about $60 million for them that will be around a while.

However, seeing who the Yankees overpay...they'd be the ones who offer PK 6 years $102 million or something like that...or paying Kerry Wood $50 million for 4 years.