PDA

View Full Version : more Steve Phillips.......

TomSkilling
11-09-2005, 08:23 AM
I just saw Phillips release his top 50 FA list on espn.com insider

I'm glad that he gives Paulie repect as the #1 FA out there this year, but his predictions are Paulie to the Red Sox and big Frank (#26 FA) to the Indians!?!?!?!?!?! Phillips is such an ass-clown.

I will pray that if Frank somehow doesn't end up back with the Sox he better not break our hearts and go to the flubs, indians, or twins... I know the Indians could use hit bat, but when he's healthy who couldn't???

MadetoOrta
11-09-2005, 08:56 AM
Don't lose sleep over Frank. No one is going to offer him a contract that the Sox wouldn't match. Two different breaks in the same foot folks. Cubs? Where the %$# would he play? First? Move Derek Lee to where? C'mon.

chaerulez
11-09-2005, 09:05 AM
With Hafner there is no way PK and Frank both go to the Indians. Also the Indians are probably more worried about resigning Millwood or getting a starter to replace him if they can't. They already have a very good offense, what sparked their second half run is their pitching stepped up. If Millwood leaves, their rotation is somewhat thin at Sabathia, Lee, Westbrook and then you have two holes in the rotation. This is why Phillips has no GM job and why he is just out on ESPN looking like a fool.

TomSkilling
11-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Madeto - I wasn't saying there there would be a possibiliy of Frank in a cubs uniform next year. I meant that as a Sox fan, it would hurt to see Frank playing for any of those three teams next year.

Do I think it's likely? No.

Bruce Levine gives more reliable info than Steve Phillips, that's how bad he is.

Don't lose sleep over Frank. No one is going to offer him a contract that the Sox wouldn't match. Two different breaks in the same foot folks. Cubs? Where the %$# would he play? First? Move Derek Lee to where? C'mon.

samram
11-09-2005, 09:30 AM
I think they did something like this last year and they got very few correct. The fact is these guys don't really have that much insight and it's not in the teams' best interests to tell the media what their plans are, so their guesses are really no better than ours. I'm just not buying the PK to Boston thing before they have a GM. I think they have to move Manny if they sign PK or they won't be able to add to that dreadful pitching staff, which currently has about one sure thing in Arroyo, who isn't even that good.

gf2020
11-09-2005, 09:40 AM
I just saw Phillips release his top 50 FA list on espn.com insider

I'm glad that he gives Paulie repect as the #1 FA out there this year, but his predictions are Paulie to the Red Sox and big Frank (#26 FA) to the Indians!?!?!?!?!?! Phillips is such an ass-clown.

I will pray that if Frank somehow doesn't end up back with the Sox he better not break our hearts and go to the flubs, indians, or twins... I know the Indians could use hit bat, but when he's healthy who couldn't???

ESPN only went 5 for 50 last year on ESPN, which is really awful when you think about it. Anyway, as I understand it, the Indians don't like playing Hafner at first, so I doubt Frank ends up there.

The only other destination I've heard that makes some sense is Frank to Oakland.

Out of (morbid) curiousity, who did Phillips have us signing as replacements within that top 50?

spiffie
11-09-2005, 09:49 AM
ESPN only went 5 for 50 last year on ESPN, which is really awful when you think about it. Anyway, as I understand it, the Indians don't like playing Hafner at first, so I doubt Frank ends up there.

The only other destination I've heard that makes some sense is Frank to Oakland.

Out of (morbid) curiousity, who did Phillips have us signing as replacements within that top 50?
The answer is....no one. We apparently aren't going to be a destination for any of the top 50 free agents according to the esteemed Mr. Phillips.

munchman33
11-09-2005, 09:56 AM
It certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. Cleveland is one of the few teams that could offer Frank regular at bats. It isn't going to come down to money with Frank....it'll come down to guaranteed playing time. And if Kenny brings in another option at DH or resigns Carl, it pretty much assures Frank won't be back.

TDog
11-09-2005, 10:23 AM
ESPN only went 5 for 50 last year on ESPN, which is really awful when you think about it. ...

You could do better -- blindfolded. Heck a chimpanzee could do better. But they're the ones on television making the predictions. Real jobs demand accountability. At ESPN, no standards are apparent.

mjmcend
11-09-2005, 10:49 AM
It certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. Cleveland is one of the few teams that could offer Frank regular at bats. It isn't going to come down to money with Frank....it'll come down to guaranteed playing time. And if Kenny brings in another option at DH or resigns Carl, it pretty much assures Frank won't be back.

No Cleveland can't and won't offer him regular at bats, Hafner is their full-time DH and they do not like and have nop interest in him playing the field.

He only goes to a team who needs a powerful DH, Angles, Oakland, White Sox.

nccwsfan
11-09-2005, 12:00 PM
The answer is....no one. We apparently aren't going to be a destination for any of the top 50 free agents according to the esteemed Mr. Phillips.

Well why would anyone want to come here? Bad team chemistry, bad fans, bad ballpark...and even if they do make it back to the World Series no one will watch it. Lowest ratings ever for a World Series, remember???

If Frank's healthy he'll retire as a member of the White Sox.

munchman33
11-09-2005, 01:00 PM
No Cleveland can't and won't offer him regular at bats, Hafner is their full-time DH and they do not like and have nop interest in him playing the field.

He only goes to a team who needs a powerful DH, Angles, Oakland, White Sox.

They'd move Hafner to the field for the right bat. It's just first base, and Hafner isn't quite the butcher you make him out to be.

gf2020
11-09-2005, 03:24 PM

Well, there goes the whatever shreds of credibility these rankings have in the first place. With a payroll increase authorized, it is nearly impossible that we, a world series champion, would lose our starting first baseman and two designated hitters in the same offseason without signing one top 50 free agent. Anybody with a brain would realize that if a team loses players, it has to replace them somehow.

Here are rankings that seem slightly better informed:

http://www.rotoauthority.com/2005/10/top_50_baseball_2.html