PDA

View Full Version : Yankees decline Tino

caulfield12
11-09-2005, 08:20 AM
Yankees turn down Tino

The New York Yankees let Tino Martinez go, declining their $3 million option on the popular first baseman.

Martinez, 37, returned to New York this year and hit .241 in part-time duty with 17 home runs and 49 RBI.

Martinez is a .271 career hitter with 339 homers and 1,271 RBI in 16 major league seasons.

Urbina arrested in Venezuela

Ugueth Urbina, a free-agent pitcher who finished the 2005 season with Philadelphia, was arrested and held in Caracas, Venezuela, pending a formal charge of attempted murder.

Last month, Urbina and a group of men allegedly attacked five workers with machetes and poured gasoline on them in an attempt to set them on fire. All five were injured, police said.

Urbina has insisted he had nothing to do with the violence at his family's ranch Oct. 16.

"Everything will be cleared up soon and people will know the truth," Urbina said from his cell at a police station. "Right now, we aren't going to do anything to deny things that aren't true."

The authorities said Urbina would be formally charged once he appears before a judge, and Urbina said he understood that hearing could have been Tuesday.

Urbina's lawyer, Jose Luis Tamayo, said the pitcher was sleeping at the time of the incident and was not involved.

This was the second violent incident in a little more than a year for the Urbina family. Urbina's mother was kidnapped by drug traffickers in September 2004 and held for a $6 million ransom. She was rescued five months later. The 31-year-old Urbina has a 44-49 record with 237 saves and a 3.45 ERA in 11 seasons.

antitwins13
11-09-2005, 12:02 PM
I think Ozzie could care less about Urbina getting arrested, and Tino is washed up. The Yankees are doing the right thing by declining the option.

Tragg
11-09-2005, 12:10 PM
I hope Ozzie is thinking nothing about that.

JB98
11-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Aren't Ozzie and Urbina pretty good friends?

As for Tino, who cares?

antitwins13
11-10-2005, 12:15 AM
Aren't Ozzie and Urbina pretty good friends?

As for Tino, who cares?

Are they? I havn't heard that.

chaerulez
11-10-2005, 08:36 AM
They were on the Marlins championship team together, it's not out of the question to say they are friends.