PDA

View Full Version : Another interesting KW quote on PK

caulfield12
11-09-2005, 07:22 AM
"If we don't have Paul, it's not like Juan Uribe and Joe Crede are going to throw the ball into the stands because no one's there to catch it," Williams said. "Somebody will be there. We'll figure this out just like we figured things out last year when Magglio [Ordonez] was gone, Carlos [Lee] was gone. The whole of the team is more important than any individual piece."
from chicagosports.com

kevin57
11-09-2005, 07:29 AM
I suspect this is KW playing the duel role of "good cop, bad cop." (See other thread about KW being optimistic.) The first statement is to offer PK a quite respectable offer and show the organization's "love" for Paulie--which should be done--but this second quote is to let him and Landis know that no guns will be held to their heads in this negotiation.

Hokiesox
11-09-2005, 08:56 AM
I suspect this is KW playing the duel role of "good cop, bad cop." (See other thread about KW being optimistic.) The first statement is to offer PK a quite respectable offer and show the organization's "love" for Paulie--which should be done--but this second quote is to let him and Landis know that no guns will be held to their heads in this negotiation.

Earlier in the article, he says this:

"'Paul and his camp were amenable to sitting down and talking about [an extension before the 2005] season,' Williams said. 'I made the decision I wanted to see how all the pieces fit together. At this point, I can't very well elect not to return their respect. At the least, I have to let him look at his options.'"

KW's attitude shows me we really do have the best GM in baseball. Treat the other side with respect, and we'll get it done.

Hitmen77
11-09-2005, 09:13 AM
"'Paul and his camp were amenable to sitting down and talking about [an extension before the 2005] season,' Williams said. 'I made the decision I wanted to see how all the pieces fit together. At this point, I can't very well elect not to return their respect. At the least, I have to let him look at his options.'"

I don't understand why the Sox did this. If 2005 turned out to be another mediocre year for the team, they could have always traded PK for someone good (think CLee for Podsednik) if he "didn't fit in with their plans".

Randar68
11-09-2005, 09:18 AM
I don't understand why the Sox did this. If 2005 turned out to be another mediocre year for the team, they could have always traded PK for someone good (think CLee for Podsednik) if he "didn't fit in with their plans".

If PK went .265-30-80, who they hell is going to trade for him when he'd have been making 10 million a year in 2006 and beyond?

You need a trading partner. It was a calculated risk. I still don't value PK anywhere near 12 million a year, but that's just me. That money would be far better spent on Giles, Delgado, etc... far superior hitters.

However, I understand why he may be worth 12-13 million a year to the Sox.

Randar68
11-09-2005, 09:29 AM
You usually don't receive much in a trade when a player is a fa at the end of the year. The other trading partner looks at the player as a one year rental.
I think he was wondering why the Sox didn't negotiate with PK prior to the year.

Let's also recall that this year was PK's first ever season with an OPS over .900 and he's been terribly streaky in the past. Will cost him a little more to keep Pauly now, but it was a smart risk to take on his part given Paul's history.

Paulwny
11-09-2005, 09:32 AM
I think he was wondering why the Sox didn't negotiate with PK prior to the year.

Let's also recall that this year was PK's first ever season with an OPS over .900 and he's been terribly streaky in the past. Will cost him a little more to keep Pauly now, but it was a smart risk to take on his part given Paul's history.

You beat me to it, I deleted my post when I finally woke up to what he was saying.:redface:

mcfish
11-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Let's also recall that this year was PK's first ever season with an OPS over .900 and he's been terribly streaky in the past. Will cost him a little more to keep Pauly now, but it was a smart risk to take on his part given Paul's history.Paul is still terribly streaky. I'm very happy that his hot streak was over the second half and into the playoffs, but he had a really tough start to this year - He was hitting < .250 at the All Star break with an OPS around .850. He hit well over .300 with a very impressive OPS in the second half to get to where he was at the end of the year. I'm resigned to PK being the best 1B option out there this year, and therefore I want to see him signed, but I don't think that he is going to all of a sudden become a consistent hitter because he had a good playoff run.

veeter
11-09-2005, 09:59 AM
Kenny did the right thing. Who knows, Paulie may have wanted a no trade clause when negotiating before the season. They may have granted it, hurting the Sox if he had a bad year. I do recall reading an article AFTER the Sox had gotten off to a good start where Paul said he wouldn't play hardball when negotiating. But both sides decided to wait until after the season.

Ol' No. 2
11-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Paul is still terribly streaky. I'm very happy that his hot streak was over the second half and into the playoffs, but he had a really tough start to this year - He was hitting < .250 at the All Star break with an OPS around .850. He hit well over .300 with a very impressive OPS in the second half to get to where he was at the end of the year. I'm resigned to PK being the best 1B option out there this year, and therefore I want to see him signed, but I don't think that he is going to all of a sudden become a consistent hitter because he had a good playoff run.You wouldn't think I'd need to keep pointing this out, but he had only about a 5 week stretch in April and May where he was slumping. His A/S BA was dragged down by this period. Monthly splits (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_player_gamebygamelog.jsp?c_id=cws&playerID=117244&statType=1):

April: .218/.320/.494
May: .227/.350/.433
June: .293/.387/.543
July: .315/.388/.500
Aug: .300/.369/.600
Sep: .336/.425/.617

Other than 2003, this pattern is the rule rather than the exception. If you look at the other favorites (i.e. Delgado, Thome, etc.) you'll find they have had slumps, too.

Hitmen77
11-09-2005, 10:32 AM
If PK went .265-30-80, who they hell is going to trade for him when he'd have been making 10 million a year in 2006 and beyond?

You need a trading partner. It was a calculated risk. I still don't value PK anywhere near 12 million a year, but that's just me. That money would be far better spent on Giles, Delgado, etc... far superior hitters.

However, I understand why he may be worth 12-13 million a year to the Sox.

I agree.

I guess I was reading KW's statement too literally in that the only reason they didn't go for an extension is that the team may have still faltered and they may have wanted to go in another direction. Of course, I realize that KW is not an idiot and he is not going to publically say "...and we were worried that GIDPaul was going to really suck this year and become virtually untradable.":wink:

UofCSoxFan
11-09-2005, 10:59 AM
The silver lining in all of this is that 1B is the easiest position, besides DH, to replace on the field. we may lose .280 40 hr 100 rbi but pick up a .275 28 hr. 85 rbi guy at 1B for a fraction of the cost. Its not like we would have to replace a Miguel Tejada for example (very few SS put up those numbers) or an Andrew Jones (power hitting CFs are rare).

Don't get me wrong, I want to resign Konerko (I think Kenny does too) but the point by Kenny was that this team is still pretty damn good if we lose Konerko and get a respectable guy to replace him. Keep in mind that a healthy Frank Thomas would help make up the difference in production.

maurice
11-09-2005, 12:46 PM
April: .218/.320/.494
May: .227/.350/.433
June: .293/.387/.543
July: .315/.388/.500
Aug: .300/.369/.600
Sep: .336/.425/.617

Other than 2003, this pattern is the rule rather than the exception. If you look at the other favorites (i.e. Delgado, Thome, etc.) you'll find they have had slumps, too.

Okay, let's test this theory. I can't use Thome's 2005 numbers, but here are Delgado's . . .
April: .300/.394/.450
May: .327/.402/.684
June: .290/.405/.500
July: .256/.361/.561
Aug: .266/.351/.594
Sep: .359/.469/.707

Konerko's April and May were worse than Delgado's worst month. In fact, Delgado never came close to Konerko's .218 and .227 AVEs in April and May. Delgado at his very worst still posted a .844 OPS. When he had a power slump in April, he batted .300 and got on base at a .394 clip. When he had an AVE slump in July and August, he sluged about .580. I'll take that in a "down month."

Ol' No. 2
11-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Okay, let's test this theory. I can't use Thome's 2005 numbers, but here are Delgado's . . .
April: .300/.394/.450
May: .327/.402/.684
June: .290/.405/.500
July: .256/.361/.561
Aug: .266/.351/.594
Sep: .359/.469/.707

Konerko's April and May were worse than Delgado's worst month. In fact, Delgado never came close to Konerko's .218 and .227 AVEs in April and May. Delgado at his very worst still posted a .844 OPS. When he had a power slump in April, he batted .300 and got on base at a .394 clip. When he had an AVE slump in July and August, he sluged about .580. I'll take that in a "down month."I'll grant you that when PK goes bad, he really goes bad. My point was more frequency and duration. Also, if you look at Delgado's numbers for last year in Toronto, he was pretty horrible for the first half.

caulfield12
11-09-2005, 07:10 PM
I'll grant you that when PK goes bad, he really goes bad. My point was more frequency and duration. Also, if you look at Delgado's numbers for last year in Toronto, he was pretty horrible for the first half.

To me, the upside is much higher if we were paying Thome only $7-8 million per season instead of paying Delgado twice that.

That is a lot of contract for the Phils to eat, though.

There´s a two year age difference, and the fact that Delgado has been relatively healthy throughout his career.

But look what David Wells has done since his career was seemingly over in 2001.

And I like the fact that Thome is a ¨Soxlike¨ player, he´s from Peoria, and you´ve never heard anyone question his character, heart or leadership ability.

For some reason, Delgado just seems like another Ordonez, McGriff, Belle or Lee...lots of great numbers, but to me, he is just not quite a true superstar player at this point in his career. Consider the fact that he will make the same or just a little less than Vladimir Guerrero, he´s a subpar defensive 1B and he´s much older than Vlad the Impaler. Guerrero is arguably the best all-around player in the game....if he´s healthy, which he certainly was not during the 2005 playoffs. The injuries to Ensberg (hand) and Vlad certainly played a small part in the Sox postseason success.

MadetoOrta
11-09-2005, 10:45 PM

Not if PK hit .234.

JB98
11-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Not if PK hit .234.

That was a fluke.