PDA

View Full Version : Doug Melvin proposing new Sept. roster rules

Banix12
11-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Brewers GM Doug Melvin is proposing a new roster expansion protocol for september callups at the GM Meetings.

1. Establish a minimum number of players each team must have active on the roster at any given time, this way you have a level playing field with each team having the same number of active players. The number being thrown about now is 30.
2. Teams can still call up more than the prescribed 30 players but only 5 extra players can be active for any given game. Any extra players would be placed on an inactive list. Teams can move extra players on and off the roster before any given game.

At least that's how I understand it.

New york Daily news article (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/363419p-309528c.html)

I actually kind of like the idea as I read it in the article. I'm sure there are going to be issues, but I don't think it is a bad idea. Though I think Melvin's original thought that the Astros might have had a big advantage over the Brewers and Pirates because they had a bigger roster might be overstating the issue.

Tragg
11-08-2005, 11:38 PM
His solution doesn't solve the problem. The problem was that the brewers and pirates left the best AAA players in AAA for the playoffs; they'd likely continue to do that under his proposal.

Banix12
11-08-2005, 11:44 PM
His solution doesn't solve the problem. The problem was that the brewers and pirates left the best AAA players in AAA for the playoffs; they'd likely continue to do that under his proposal.

You see what confused me is that I don't see that as a problem. If they leave the top prospects in the minors then that means they are playing the starters. Which is really what you want in a game that has playoff implications.

The problem of sept. callups is that some teams just play the rookies in games that mean something. this does nothing to help that. However I do kind of like the idea of putting an even number players on the rosters, even though it likely changes nothing.

the only scenario that this likely fixes is if there is an extra inning game one team could have more pitchers and pinch hitters than the other team.