PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Owens - Another Good Minor League Pickup from 2005

ND_Sox_Fan
11-08-2005, 11:00 PM
From our friends at RotoWorld...

White Sox prospect Jerry Owens went 4-for-6 yesterday to raise his VWL average to .407.
It certainly doesn't get as much attention as the Cristian Guzman signing, but one of Nats GM Jim Bowden's worst moves since taking over was to give Owens to the White Sox in exchange for Alex Escobar. Owens, 24, hit .331/.393/.406 with 38 steals in 58 attempts for Double-A Birmingham last season and is batting .407/.490/.494 in 81 AB in Venezuela.

Between Jenks, Ozuna, and Owens ... a few nice pickups at the minor league level on '05. Another reason to applaud the job KW did last year "under the radar."

Banix12
11-08-2005, 11:11 PM
What makes it worse is Escobar didn't play all of 2005 due to a strained quadracep.

That has to be an all time great steal of a trade. Pick up a Escobar for nothing, he never plays a game in the sox system and they trade him for Owens, Owens looks great and escobar gets injured.

KRS1
11-08-2005, 11:35 PM
I guess this shows why KW is twice the GM Shapiro will ever be. He couldn't get squat for Alex in a trade so they waived him, Kenny on the other hand gets a huge pickup outta the same player.

DumpJerry
11-11-2005, 03:04 PM
I guess this shows why KW is twice the GM Shapiro will ever be. He couldn't get squat for Alex in a trade so they waived him, Kenny on the other hand gets a huge pickup outta the same player.
Excuse me, but that is the Executive of the Year you're dissing. This is the guy, after all, who signed Kevin Millwood to a contract.

Tragg
11-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Rotoworld also suggested a trade of Young for Overbay; that, obviously, would be terrible - giving up your ace prospect for an average major league ballplayer.
Young should be off the table in any trades anyway, imo.

Banix12
11-16-2005, 12:49 AM
Rotoworld also suggested a trade of Young for Overbay; that, obviously, would be terrible - giving up your ace prospect for an average major league ballplayer.
Young should be off the table in any trades anyway, imo.

I'm trying to figure out what this post has to do with the thread, but ok.

I could see young traded but they have to be getting a very good player in return that would be on the team for a few years, not just Overbay an average 1-2 year rental.

Tragg
11-16-2005, 08:35 AM
I'm trying to figure out what this post has to do with the thread, but ok.

Rotoword, from the first post...things fly in various directions

Anyway, does someone know when we claimed Escobar v. when we traded him? Thanks

caulfield12
11-16-2005, 09:29 AM
Rotoword, from the first post...things fly in various directions

Anyway, does someone know when we claimed Escobar v. when we traded him? Thanks

Looks like August 16th, 2004
http://www.all-baseball.com/transactionguy/archives/015028.html

Trade was in the middle of February, 2005, for Owens with the Nats
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/050213escobar.html