PDA

View Full Version : Free Agents?

WinningUgly!
12-15-2001, 10:36 PM
JR & KW have said not to expect them to sign any significant free agents, but I wonder if they have changed their stance on that at all. They had 2 pretty big deals in the works that, for whatever reasons, fell through. Both the Erstad & Giles deals showed that they were looking to upgrade an outfield position. Do they now go the free agent route to find that outfielder, then use Carlos Lee &/or Chris Singleton to get some more pitching via trade? I think they almost have to sign a semi-major free agent to save face from the 2 trades that fell through & to ease some of the negative fan reaction to the Ritchie deal. There are a ton of quality FA's still available after the week of meetings, the remaining FA pool was quite a bit thinner following the meetings last year. Does this also make :reinsy & :KW consider signing someone?

Dadawg_77
12-15-2001, 10:44 PM
If Jonny Damon's price comes down, I think the Sox should jump on him. Then you can move either C Lee for some pitching help. I like C Lee but I rather have Borchard in left with Damon in Center then Lee in Left and Borchard in Center. Or could the Sox do something even bigger like move Frank? This would allow Lee to become a DH, solve the log jam in the OF, and could free up to 10 million to bring in Damon or another leadoff man or starting pitching

Daver
12-15-2001, 10:47 PM
Moving Frank is almost impossible,he has a no trade clause in his contract,and is a 5 and 10 guy to boot.Get used to having the Hurt around for awhile.

CLR01
12-15-2001, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
If Jonny Damon's price comes down, I think the Sox should jump on him. Then you can move either C Lee for some pitching help. I like C Lee but I rather have Borchard in left with Damon in Center then Lee in Left and Borchard in Center. Or could the Sox do something even bigger like move Frank? This would allow Lee to become a DH, solve the log jam in the OF, and could free up to 10 million to bring in Damon or another leadoff man or starting pitching

Why does everyone want to stick Borchard in left? Get maggs out of right and put Joe there, his arm would be of much better use.

Jerry_Manuel
12-15-2001, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by daver
Moving Frank is almost impossible,he has a no trade clause in his contract,and is a 5 and 10 guy to boot.Get used to having the Hurt around for awhile.

Well he still has the diminished skills clause that could make him a free agent. But there was no Giles trade in place so it couldn't have fallen through. He can't be traded to the Sox so there was no deal.

duke of dorwood
12-15-2001, 10:59 PM
If they are hell bent on a new outfielder, it's gonna be Kapler or that type. I hope he dont go to Seattle too. With Cirillo there, they are probably better than us at most positions right now. And it looks like they are gonna get Boone back at their price.

Daver
12-15-2001, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
If they are hell bent on a new outfielder, it's gonna be Kapler or that type. I hope he dont go to Seattle too. With Cirillo there, they are probably better than us at most positions right now. And it looks like they are gonna get Boone back at their price.

They are getting Boone back at Boones price,which is more than he is worth,there is a reason no else jumped up to sign him.

duke of dorwood
12-15-2001, 11:05 PM
Congrats on 2000 posts, daver.

Daver
12-15-2001, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Congrats on 2000 posts, daver.

Thanx,whatever,I didn't even know that it was kept track of till a couple weeks ago.

doublem23
12-16-2001, 12:32 AM
Yeah... if I had a choice, I'd grab Damon in a heartbeat... This way we could have a very solid CF/lead off man...

... then I'd have Royce Clayton drawn and quartered....

... the I'd find a catcher, trade, FA, something... Someone to platoon with MJ...

... then, I'D PLAY JOE CREDE, DAMMIT!!!!!

So, if I had my way, the 2002 Sox would look like (for the most part):

1) Damon - CF
2) Valentin - SS
3) Thomas - DH
4) Maggs - RF
5) Caballo - LF
6) Konerko - 1B
7) Crede - 3B
8) Durham - 2B
9) MJ - C

WinningUgly!
12-16-2001, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Yeah... if I had a choice, I'd grab Damon in a heartbeat... This way we could have a very solid CF/lead off man...

... then I'd have Royce Clayton drawn and quartered....

... the I'd find a catcher, trade, FA, something... Someone to platoon with MJ...

... then, I'D PLAY JOE CREDE, DAMMIT!!!!!

So, if I had my way, the 2002 Sox would look like (for the most part):

1) Damon - CF
2) Valentin - SS
3) Thomas - DH
4) Maggs - RF
5) Caballo - LF
6) Konerko - 1B
7) Crede - 3B
8) Durham - 2B
9) MJ - C

If we do end up with a real lead off hitter like Damon, I'd put Ray Ray in the 9 spot. We'll never see Damon, though :whiner:

Dadawg_77
12-16-2001, 01:13 AM

Not impossible, what if, now this maybe a big what if, we moved Frank to the Yankees say. I would think Frank might agree to that. The Yankees might agree to that because it gives them a veteran DH with Jason playing first. They have the highly touted prospect Nick Johnson but who knows what New York told Jason about playing first. If the Yanks agree to have Jason play first in the field there would be no reason other then trade bait to keep Johnson around. They did pick up Vande Wall, who could play DH but I think Frank will put up better numbers. So New York might trade for Frank, could see that lineup. Damn even if there is no season next year, just give them the ring.

Or what about Oakland, they just lost a firstbaseman. Frank might agree to go out there. Oakland just lost a 1B which was the lynchpin to thier lineup, and Frank would be a step in the right direction to fill that gap. The Sox might be able to package Frank and good arm for one of Oakland's three.

There are other teams that might work out. Frank may be more willing to do a trade since, his skills clause would be gone. And might just want out of Chicago and dealing with JR. It is just thought.

Daver
12-16-2001, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Not impossible, what if, now this maybe a big what if, we moved Frank to the Yankees say. I would think Frank might agree to that. The Yankees might agree to that because it gives them a veteran DH with Jason playing first. They have the highly touted prospect Nick Johnson but who knows what New York told Jason about playing first. If the Yanks agree to have Jason play first in the field there would be no reason other then trade bait to keep Johnson around. They did pick up Vande Wall, who could play DH but I think Frank will put up better numbers. So New York might trade for Frank, could see that lineup. Damn even if there is no season next year, just give them the ring.

Or what about Oakland, they just lost a firstbaseman. Frank might agree to go out there. Oakland just lost a 1B which was the lynchpin to thier lineup, and Frank would be a step in the right direction to fill that gap. The Sox might be able to package Frank and good arm for one of Oakland's three.

There are other teams that might work out. Frank may be more willing to do a trade since, his skills clause would be gone. And might just want out of Chicago and dealing with JR. It is just thought.

But what do the Sox get in return?
It better be a lot,and I don't think either of those teams has a lot to offer in return.

But then again what the hell do I know?

Daver
12-16-2001, 01:23 AM
I don't know anything about baseball,just ask Bmr.

Dadawg_77
12-16-2001, 01:35 AM

But what do the Sox get in return?
It better be a lot,and I don't think either of those teams has a lot to offer in return.

But then again what the hell do I know?

When I said the Oakland three I was talking about Hudson, Moulder and Zito. I would love to have any of those three on our team.

New York might give up Nick Johnson, a prized first base prospect and some other talent. But that would leave us in log jam at first.

Dadawg_77
12-16-2001, 01:37 AM
I don't know anything about baseball,just ask Bmr.

Yeah but BMR likes Clayton so I am not sure how heavily we should weigh his opinion?

Jerry_Manuel
12-16-2001, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by doublem23

:sandy
I'll be catching Mark on opening day. Then I'll get hurt again and MJ will take over.