PDA

View Full Version : Konerko for SI Sportsman of the Year

Soxfan35
11-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Tom Verducci nominated Paulie as his Sportsman of the Year. He makes some great points, but I highly doubt SI would choose him. But either way its a great read.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/magazine/specials/sportsman/2005/11/08/paul.konerko/index.html

Deuce
11-08-2005, 10:00 PM
:hitless

"I'd vote for him... after voting for myself."

:walnuts

"Thanks buddy! You're the best, hands down."

antitwins13
11-08-2005, 10:16 PM
I would love to see Paulie get this, and I don't want to come across as cynical. However, I think this guy has just as good of a chance of winning the sportsman of the year...http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5066096_18_1.jpg (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5065478)

NWSox
11-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Wow! What a great tribute by Verducci. Verducci seems to have figured out the character of this team and how Konerko played a central role in setting the tone. If I was Paulie, I would get this article framed and put it on my wall in Scottsdale.

Baby Fisk
11-08-2005, 11:22 PM
It will be Lance Armstrong... again...

seanpmurphy
11-09-2005, 12:06 AM
It will be Lance Armstrong... again...

ugh

Vernam
11-09-2005, 12:11 AM
What a great column. It's cool how Verducci recognizes that Sox Pride would never permit the kind of indulgences certain other teams' self-pitying fans have allowed themselves. Sox fans are stoic, even crusty. Konerko really is a perfect centerpiece for the organization. Too bad Verducci just added another few mil to his asking price.

Vernam

mjmcend
11-09-2005, 01:54 AM
If he loses to T.O or Giambi (both were nominated as well) I will cancel my subscrition and burn every copy of Sports Illustrated I can find. Just the fact that those two were nominated makes me sick.

chaerulez
11-09-2005, 01:58 AM
I thought this T.O. and Giambi being nominated was a joke, but it's actually true! Yet another member of the media to throw journalistic integrity down the toliet to please the moronic national sports fan base.

The Dude
11-09-2005, 02:13 AM
:hitless

"I'd vote for him... after voting for myself."

:walnuts

"Thanks buddy! You're the best, hands down."

*****!:rolleyes:

Will you ever let it go??

Nellie_Fox
11-09-2005, 02:25 AM
It will be Lance Armstrong... again...I seriously doubt it, since he's retired (out of sight, out of mind) but for the life of me I don't know why this would rate an "ugh", unless of course you think that the French press's campaign to discredit him has merit. Or unless you seriously think that Paul Konerko's season is a greater accomplishment than doing something that no one else has come close to doing.

Steelrod
11-09-2005, 04:42 AM
That's sure to help us resign him! lol

VivaOzzie
11-09-2005, 07:03 AM
I seriously doubt it, since he's retired (out of sight, out of mind) but for the life of me I don't know why this would rate an "ugh", unless of course you think that the French press's campaign to discredit him has merit. Or unless you seriously think that Paul Konerko's season is a greater accomplishment than doing something that no one else has come close to doing.

I fully respect what the guy did in his sport, but I find it pretty weak how he left his wife for a hotter, richer, more media-friendly Sheryl Crow.

fquaye149
11-09-2005, 07:54 AM
I seriously doubt it, since he's retired (out of sight, out of mind) but for the life of me I don't know why this would rate an "ugh", unless of course you think that the French press's campaign to discredit him has merit. Or unless you seriously think that Paul Konerko's season is a greater accomplishment than doing something that no one else has come close to doing.
Perhaps cycling doesn't interest him. It certainly doesn't interest me - although "ugh" wouldn't be the word I would use to describe another chapter in the Armstrong lovefest. I suppose that Armstrong deserves the accolades coming to him...but just as I would guess you, Nellie, wouldn't be all that impressed if Wayne Rooney won sportsman of the year (me either), I am getting a little tired to being bombarded by a sport I couldn't care less about.

34 Inch Stick
11-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Tiger had an outstanding year as well as Sorenstam. I probably feel the same way about golfers as others do about cyclists. However, domination in a sport should be recognized.

manders_01
11-09-2005, 11:33 AM
I fully respect what the guy did in his sport, but I find it pretty weak how he left his wife for a hotter, richer, more media-friendly Sheryl Crow.

He didn't leave his wife for Crow - they didn't get together til months after he divorced.

Deuce
11-09-2005, 01:08 PM
*****!:rolleyes:

Will you ever let it go??Sorry, Dude, but it sends me over the top every time I think about it. If it were anyone but The Choice, I would have let it go a while ago.

Deuce

hawkjt
11-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Duece, I am sure you are much more knowledgeable on baseball and evaluating defensive ss 's than a professional baseball player like PK. Give it up. Clayton is an outstanding defensive ss. nuff said.

The Dude
11-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Sorry, Dude, but it sends me over the top every time I think about it. If it were anyone but The Choice, I would have let it go a while ago.

Deuce

Deuce, I guarantee my dislike for the choice rivals yours. He has been my most hated Sox player ever since I have watched sports as a youngster. The day he was booted from the team I rejoyced. Now, I know the only reason he is even on a team is his great D. That being said, I was at the game where he botched two plays for Arizona that led to our huge comeback. It was the most enjoyment I ever had watching a player make two mental errors!:D: Regardless, hes a hell of a defender, but I obviously would much rather have Uribe.

All that being said, PK has been forgiven in my book as has every player that made up our World Champion team. Hell, Carl, Timo, Blum, Marte, and Willie even get a free pass in my eyes even though they stunk it up most of the time. :cool:

Deuce
11-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Uh, oh... :hijacked:

Duece, I am sure you are much more knowledgeable on baseball and evaluating defensive ss 's than a professional baseball player like PK.Obviously, given Konerko's statement.

Give it up. Clayton is an outstanding defensive ss. nuff said.Are you saying that because Paul Konerko told you so, or because you believe it? Just want to make sure, so I can properly weight the opinion, since you are not a professional baseball player.

Deuce

Deuce
11-09-2005, 02:31 PM
All that being said, PK has been forgiven in my book as has every player that made up our World Champion team. Hell, Carl, Timo, Blum, Marte, and Willie even get a free pass in my eyes even though they stunk it up most of the time. :cool:You are right. I'll leave it up to Paulie then. Given that KW looks to be offering a fair deal, if Konerko resigns with the Sox and puts the team ahead of his possible earnings potential, I promise to let it go. That, IMO, is the absolute indicator if he is more in it for himself or the team.

Deuce

VivaOzzie
11-09-2005, 06:20 PM
He didn't leave his wife for Crow - they didn't get together til months after he divorced.

Exactly, a few MONTHS. Cmon now :rolleyes:

fquaye149
11-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Deuce, I guarantee my dislike for the choice rivals yours. He has been my most hated Sox player ever since I have watched sports as a youngster. The day he was booted from the team I rejoyced. Now, I know the only reason he is even on a team is his great D. That being said, I was at the game where he botched two plays for Arizona that led to our huge comeback. It was the most enjoyment I ever had watching a player make two mental errors!:D: Regardless, hes a hell of a defender, but I obviously would much rather have Uribe.

All that being said, PK has been forgiven in my book as has every player that made up our World Champion team. Hell, Carl, Timo, Blum, Marte, and Willie even get a free pass in my eyes even though they stunk it up most of the time. :cool:

Willie had a pretty decent year

Baby Fisk
11-10-2005, 09:45 AM
My suggestion was a little tongue in cheek because I don't expect him to get it either. But it's fascinating how the mention of his name irks so many people here.