PDA

View Full Version : Dennis DeYoung Says Congrats to Sox

MrRoboto83
11-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Dennis Deyoung former lead singer for Styx life long Sox fan talks about him and his Dad going to Sox games.

http://www.dennisdeyoung.com/

Hey Everybody,
To be honest I'm not sure where to begin. So many exciting and literally unbelievable things have occurred over the last few weeks that I'm nearly speechless (remember I did say nearly).
First, THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX WIN THE WORLD SERIES! That's right SEIRES DLROW EHT NIW XOS ETIHW OGACIHC EHT, backwards. forwards anyway you like it it's still true.
My dad took me to my first Sox game when I was nine years old and to this day I still recall the moment we emerged from the dark concourse stairs leading us up to the field and into a magical world of emerald green and blinding sunlight. One hand in my dad's the other in my glove, with the dream of catching a foul ball, I stood at the crossroads of innocence and hope. Oh the sights of the uniforms, the scoreboard, the upper deck and the enormity of the park itself. The sounds of "peanuts, get your peanuts," "hey ump get's some glasses," the organ playing "Take me Out To The Ballgame" and of course the crack of the bat. The smells of fresh grass and hot dogs mingling perfectly with the aroma of beer and cigars.
A day to remember, a day forever etched in my mind.
WHITE SOX WORLD CHAMPS, long time coming, worth the wait. I only wish my dad were here to have seen it.

Lip Man 1
11-08-2005, 07:32 PM
My mom worked with DeYoung's mom back in the 70's. He and Tony LaRussa are still close. DeYoung came into the Sox locker room one time to give LaRussa a Styx tour jacket and Tony went bonkers over it. (He gave DeYoung a White Sox jacket.)

Styx by the way, sang 'take me out to the ballgame' during the 7th inning stretch on the field at Comiskey Park during the last game ever played there September 30, 1990.

Lip

Hitmen77
11-08-2005, 07:50 PM
For a while, it seemed like he had a pretty high profile around the Sox. Not that I'm a big Styx fan, but I wonder why I hadn't heard of him being associated with the Sox for so long?

MrRoboto83
11-08-2005, 09:22 PM
For a while, it seemed like he had a pretty high profile around the Sox. Not that I'm a big Styx fan, but I wonder why I hadn't heard of him being associated with the Sox for so long?

Probably cause he was going through some health problems in the late 90's. I did see him during the last Cleveland series at home, he was sitting in box seats somewhere with his wife. They flashed him on TV a couple of times.

Steelrod
11-09-2005, 03:57 AM
For a while, it seemed like he had a pretty high profile around the Sox. Not that I'm a big Styx fan, but I wonder why I hadn't heard of him being associated with the Sox for so long?.
He openly blew off the White Sox and Major League Baseball after the 1994 work stoppage. Gave up his tickets. Said lots of nasty things. Had a close relationship with La Russa.

RichFitztightly
11-09-2005, 11:47 AM
My mom worked with DeYoung's mom back in the 70's. He and Tony LaRussa are still close. DeYoung came into the Sox locker room one time to give LaRussa a Styx tour jacket and Tony went bonkers over it. (He gave DeYoung a White Sox jacket.)

Styx by the way, sang 'take me out to the ballgame' during the 7th inning stretch on the field at Comiskey Park during the last game ever played there September 30, 1990.

Lip

Ah, celebrities singing during the 7th inning stretch. I guess that's another tradition the Cubbies stole from the Sox.