PDA

View Full Version : Rating...???? again

lizard6king6
11-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Ok, I dont know if someone mentioned this before but as we all know our WS was the lowest rated in the US. How did it do World Wide? Someone told me that in Japan and Venesuala it had phenomenal ratings. I dont know if this is true but I am sure someone knows??

hose
11-08-2005, 05:35 PM
I believe the tv rating system was changed a couple of years ago to give a more factual number of viewers. Not sure how many years it was , but I want to guess less than 5. Remember that's just a guess, Fenway probably has the actual year. He is up on all the media stuff.

In other words the tv numbers were being fudged to get more money from the advertisers, so a new rating system was put in place.

The Sox WS was the lowest rated Series using the "new" formula.

caulfield12
11-08-2005, 07:55 PM
I believe the tv rating system was changed a couple of years ago to give a more factual number of viewers. Not sure how many years it was , but I want to guess less than 5. Remember that's just a guess, Fenway probably has the actual year. He is up on all the media stuff.

In other words the tv numbers were being fudged to get more money from the advertisers, so a new rating system was put in place.

The Sox WS was the lowest rated Series using the "new" formula.

It did rate favorably compared to the first four games of the 2002 series with the ANGELS and Giants. We would would have won that match-up, but Games 5-7 of that series raised the average to 12.9.

However, you also have to take into consideration the falling share of network t.v, with video games, the Internet, cable, DirecTV, rentals and Pay Per View all cutting into the overall viewing market. In that sense, it was not a complete failure for FOX, simply the fact that there was no švolumeš to the series...

PKalltheway
11-09-2005, 12:55 AM
You're right about that. From the 1950's through the late 1970's, there wasn't any cable t.v. so the World Series was all people could watch (Not that they didn't want to). There was no internet, DirecTV, Pay Per View and all that stuff. Now on television, there are more channels offered than ever before and that means ratings will suffer a bit. This has even happened with Monday Night Football on some occasions in the last few years. So if it isn't a World Series that has either the Yankees or the Red Sox playing in it (except the Yankees-Marlins series of 2003), then the ratings will be down. It's inevitable. Don't worry about it though, because we are the World Champions and nobody can take that away from us. We did it!

miker
11-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Should TV rating threads start getting the same treatment as attendance threads?

BNLSox
11-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Rating systems don't account for things like TiVo and various other ways that people watched these games. Also the ratings despite being the lowest in WS history (which is because of the new way they track ratings) were much higher for the games than anything else on TV. Meaning they won their time slots - the goal of any program on TV.

This lowest rated BS is just another way America and the media are showing that they hate the White Sox, which is what Cubune enterprises and ESPN have sold them.

WHO CARES?! We all watched, and we won!

chaerulez
11-10-2005, 09:25 PM
It did rate favorably compared to the first four games of the 2002 series with the ANGELS and Giants. We would would have won that match-up, but Games 5-7 of that series raised the average to 12.9.

However, you also have to take into consideration the falling share of network t.v, with video games, the Internet, cable, DirecTV, rentals and Pay Per View all cutting into the overall viewing market. In that sense, it was not a complete failure for FOX, simply the fact that there was no švolumeš to the series...

If people didn't watch the world series because they were occupied with video games, the internet, cable and other pay per view forms of entertainment... they are casual baseball fans at best or non White Sox fans, so I could care less they didn't watch. Ratings don't change the fact who won and that millions of people still celebrated the victory.

CaptainBallz
11-11-2005, 02:50 AM

Ugh...Save it for the meeting, cheesenut............

Our 'Volume' is "11"....:Rocker: