PDA

View Full Version : Places in Tuscon??

Sox35th
11-08-2005, 04:15 PM
OKÖ..I am looking to head down to Tucson for spring training this year (my first time). I am going to bring my wifeÖ..so my plan is to have two days set to see the Sox and the other two or three days enjoying the area.

So, my question is what/where are some great places to stay? I would be looking for a hotel or a resort. Also, I donít mind driving 45-hour if needed. (I enjoy golf but not looking at doing any on the trip, so I donít need to be at a golf resort) Just would like to find a nice place.

Thanks

FoulkeFan
11-08-2005, 04:28 PM
What price range are you looking at? I have stayed at the Sheraton Tucson Suites on Speedway which is nice but not spectacular. I believe that it's in the $150/nt price range. I also stayed at the Westin La Paloma in the Catalina foothills which was great but I think it's over $300/nt ( I got a deal at the time otherwise I wouldn't have stayed there :smile: ) The Doubletree Suites was ok, probably the most reasonably priced of the 3 hotels that I've been to but very basic. None of these was more than a 30 minute drive to the park. Unfortunately March is tourist season in Tucson so the hotels are going to be more expensive than usual at this time of year. I prefer to stay in the foothills area since I like to go hiking at Sabino canyon and also like to be close to the restaurants but this area is the most expensive I think.

salty99
11-08-2005, 04:31 PM
where is a good place (hotels/restaurants, etc) to actually see the players at..beside during the games of course.

sox1970
11-08-2005, 04:36 PM
OKÖ..I am looking to head down to Tucson for spring training this year (my first time). I am going to bring my wifeÖ..so my plan is to have two days set to see the Sox and the other two or three days enjoying the area.

So, my question is what/where are some great places to stay? I would be looking for a hotel or a resort. Also, I donít mind driving 45-hour if needed. (I enjoy golf but not looking at doing any on the trip, so I donít need to be at a golf resort) Just would like to find a nice place.

Thanks

I guess it depends on your age and what you like to do. I went to Arizona for the first time this past spring. Half the time in Scottsdale; the other half in Tucson to see the Sox. Truthfully, I thought Tucson was boring and kind of nasty. I really liked the bars and restaurants in Scottsdale/Tempe, especially for St. Patricks Day and NCAA tournament watching. Again, it's personal preference, but if I were to go again I'd stay in Scottsdale and catch the Sox in a different city--there are plenty of teams training in the Phoenix/Scottdale area.

MarySwiss
11-08-2005, 04:55 PM
I guess it depends on your age and what you like to do. I went to Arizona for the first time this past spring. Half the time in Scottsdale; the other half in Tucson to see the Sox. Truthfully, I thought Tucson was boring and kind of nasty. I really liked the bars and restaurants in Scottsdale/Tempe, especially for St. Patricks Day and NCAA tournament watching. Again, it's personal preference, but if I were to go again I'd stay in Scottsdale and catch the Sox in a different city--there are plenty of teams training in the Phoenix/Scottdale area.

Another option if you don't mind driving is to split the difference and stay somewhere between Tucson and Phoenix. There's a town called Marana that's outside Tucson (not sure how far), or you could try Casa Grande, which is--I believe--right about halfway between the two cities. There's been a lot of new construction around Casa Grande in the past few years, but you may want to spend most of your time in the Valley cities or in Tucson, and in that case, the driving could get really old.

Also something to think about, as FoulkeFan said in his post, March is the height of the tourist season here. If cost is a big consideration, you might have trouble finding anything in Scottsdale.

manders_01
11-08-2005, 04:57 PM
where is a good place (hotels/restaurants, etc) to actually see the players at..beside during the games of course.
Was wondering that also. Would definitly like to get some away from the park time in.

I was asking pretty much the same questions in this thread...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61907&page=2
and there seem to be some good links in there for extra info.

I was also wondering if anyone has pictures of when they went - maybe give a better idea of the fun time I might be in for.

ChiSox Fan 68
11-08-2005, 04:58 PM
We met Mark Grace at Dirtbag's in Tuscon a few years ago. He was there for lunch with his family out on the patio. We were sitting at the table next to him, in head to toe Sox garb. He actually struck up a conversation with us first (we were trying to play it cool and leave him alone since he was with his family). It was obvious that we were in town for Spring Training and we talked about Chicago, the whole Sox/Cubs rivalry, etc. On his way out, he made it a point to tell us that it was really nice to meet us. What a great guy!

maurice
11-08-2005, 05:26 PM
what/where are some great places to stay?

Totally depends on your price range. If price is no object, you can't beat the JW (http://marriott.com/property/propertypage.mi?marshaCode=TUSSP) Resort.

The golf course and setting (Starr Pass) are spectacular. The airport and TEP (the Sox home park) are about 15 minutes away.

Downtown Tucson is terrible. The rest of the area is fantastic.

FoulkeFan
11-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Truthfully, I thought Tucson was boring and kind of nasty.

I thought this after my first visit too, but since returning and seeing Sabino Canyon, the Saguaro national parks and all of the great restaurants in the Foothils area, I've definitely changed my tune. I like Tucson better than Phoenix or Scottsdale, which I find boring, unless you like shopping at expensive stores or never leaving your hotel!

JimH
11-08-2005, 06:08 PM
[/font]

Downtown Tucson is terrible.

4th Avenue? Congress Hotel for live music, the Cup Cafe for breakfast?
The Shanty, Gentle Ben's, Frog and Firken, Bison Witches, O'Malley's, Maloney's?

There are all kinds of great places in and around downtown Tucson.

www.visittucson.org (http://www.visittucson.org)

And for a local angle on what's good and what's going on:

www.tucsonweekly.com (http://www.tucsonweekly.com)

MarySwiss
11-08-2005, 06:23 PM
I thought this after my first visit too, but since returning and seeing Sabino Canyon, the Saguaro national parks and all of the great restaurants in the Foothils area, I've definitely changed my tune. I like Tucson better than Phoenix or Scottsdale, which I find boring, unless you like shopping at expensive stores or never leaving your hotel!

Wow, this is a great thread!

FoulkeFan, rather than charge in and defend my adoptive home, I think I'll just sit back and see what other visitors think. After all, unless you went to UA or ASU, arguing about which is better--Tucson or Phoenix--makes little sense. (Or even if you did!) :smile:

But, this I will say--and I hope it doesn't enrage our Phoenix or Scottsdale WSI'ers--judging the Valley based on your experience in two of its cities would seem to me to be roughly equivalent to a visitor to Chicago judging the Chicago area based on his/her experience in Wrigleyville and, oh, let's say, the Magnificent Mile. In other words, there's a lot more here than meets the eye, as you found out about the Tucson area.

MarySwiss
11-08-2005, 06:25 PM
4th Avenue? Congress Hotel for live music, the Cup Cafe for breakfast?
The Shanty, Gentle Ben's, Frog and Firken, Bison Witches, O'Malley's, Maloney's?

There are all kinds of great places in and around downtown Tucson.

www.visittucson.org (http://www.visittucson.org/)

And for a local angle on what's good and what's going on:

www.tucsonweekly.com (http://www.tucsonweekly.com)

So JimH, whaddaya think? Could we get jobs with the AZ Department of Tourism?

maurice
11-08-2005, 06:25 PM
4th Avenue?

No, I was talking about the area just east of the interstate -- near the cluster of high-rise office buildings and El Presidio. IMO, that's a well below-average commercial center.

The 4th Ave. (http://www.fourthavenue.org/content/home) area closer to the University is really nice. Lots of stuff for the young people who attend the nearby University of Arizona.

JimH
11-08-2005, 07:41 PM
So JimH, whaddaya think? Could we get jobs with the AZ Department of Tourism?

Get me on the subject of Bridgeport, I'll tell ya about all kinds of great places!! :smile:

MarySwiss
11-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Get me on the subject of Bridgeport, I'll tell ya about all kinds of great places!! :smile:

Well, you probably don't have to. When I was born, we lived at 3233 S. Normal. And although I've been gone for awhile, I remember Lindy's, HomeRun Inn, Jay's tap, and I was really sorry to hear about the Hickory Pit. BTW, I also lived in St. Thomas More parish, St. Theodore parish, Marquette Park, and Gage Park. (We moved around a lot!)

FoulkeFan
11-08-2005, 09:19 PM
Wow, this is a great thread!

FoulkeFan, rather than charge in and defend my adoptive home, I think I'll just sit back and see what other visitors think. After all, unless you went to UA or ASU, arguing about which is better--Tucson or Phoenix--makes little sense. (Or even if you did!) :smile:

But, this I will say--and I hope it doesn't enrage our Phoenix or Scottsdale WSI'ers--judging the Valley based on your experience in two of its cities would seem to me to be roughly equivalent to a visitor to Chicago judging the Chicago area based on his/her experience in Wrigleyville and, oh, let's say, the Magnificent Mile. In other words, there's a lot more here than meets the eye, as you found out about the Tucson area.

I hope I didn't enrage anyone! I was just trying to suggest that they give Tucson another chance since I enjoyed it much more the second and third time around. I love Arizona and think everyone should get down there at least once, especially if you are a baseball fan.

Scottsdale is still not my favorite - but different strokes, right?

JimH
11-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Well, you probably don't have to. When I was born, we lived at 3233 S. Normal. And although I've been gone for awhile, I remember Lindy's, HomeRun Inn, Jay's tap, and I was really sorry to hear about the Hickory Pit. BTW, I also lived in St. Thomas More parish, St. Theodore parish, Marquette Park, and Gage Park. (We moved around a lot!)

I should probably do this via PM because no one cares, but my dad was born on the NW corner of 32nd and Normal. The site of the Hickory Pit is now a soon-to-be-open senior living center. When the building was being torn down, I snagged a brick and happened to go in there on the last nite and bought some bbq sauce, and kept the empty bottles, they are on display in my sports bar.

Anyway, back on Tucson, another good site to look for deals is www.dotucson.com (http://www.dotucson.com) . There are all kinds of good sports bars, people can PM me if you want specifics. One very cool place to go is the Nimbus Brewery, I think it's www.nimbus.com (http://www.nimbus.com) . They have one of their beers on tap at TEP, unfortunately it's not the blonde, which is quite good and is named Dirty Guerra. We have gone to spring traning every year since 2000 so we've been fortunate enough to stay all over the city and enjoy many different restaurants and bars.

As for places to stay ... it ranges from Super 8 to Holiday Inn Palo Verde to Smugglers Inn on east Speedway to golf resorts out further east on Tanque Verde, and several hotels right downtown.

For a real slice of local Tucson, try the Hotel Congress right downtown. Dilinger stayed there a few weeks before he met his demise back in 1934. They have a great breakfast restaurant called the Cup Cafe, and an old bar in the back aptly called The Tap Room, which often hosts live music. 80's night on Monday's is an absolute blast.

Parrothead
11-08-2005, 09:44 PM
If you have the time I would suggest driving out to Tombstone (~1 hr. away)and Bisbee (~2 hours) from Tucson. Both are cool old western towns. Bisbee has a copper mine (the Queens Mine) that you could go in and it is a good antiques town. Make a reservation in advance for the mine. There are caves to see in the Tucson area too.

JimH
11-08-2005, 10:13 PM
If you have the time I would suggest driving out to Tombstone (~1 hr. away)and Bisbee (~2 hours) from Tucson. Both are cool old western towns. Bisbee has a copper mine (the Queens Mine) that you could go in and it is a good antiques town. Make a reservation in advance for the mine. There are caves to see in the Tucson area too.

Yes, great suggestions.

Or, go skiing up on Mt. Lemmon, adjacent to Tucson and the southernmost ski hill in the U.S.

Also, about 50 minutes south of Tucson on AZ 82 are two small towns, Elgin and Patagonia. This is the heart of Arizona wine country, the elevation is about 2000 ft. higher than Tucson and it's a grape growing region. There are 3 wineries right near each other and it's a very nice 1/2 day trip.

Soxfan35
11-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Some buddies of mine and I are thinking about heading down to ST as well. Spend a couple days on watching the Sox and a couple days on the golf course. How are greens fees out there? From what I've heard there are a ton of courses out there, so hopefully it won't be too expensive.

TDog
11-08-2005, 11:33 PM
... unless you went to UA or ASU, arguing about which is better--Tucson or Phoenix--makes little sense. ...

Actually, it takes little to get people around here to tear into a screaming Tucson-vs.-Phoenix debate. (I lived in Arizona for 20 years and fall on the Tucson side of it.)

I talked to Harold Baines at Bookman's, a used book store, on Speedway, but because he's only a coach, I guess that doesn't answer the question about where to go to meet players.

MarySwiss
11-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Some buddies of mine and I are thinking about heading down to ST as well. Spend a couple days on watching the Sox and a couple days on the golf course. How are greens fees out there? From what I've heard there are a ton of courses out there, so hopefully it won't be too expensive.

Whoops! Like everything else, the fees go way up during tourist season. However, you can find bargains if you're willing to travel to one of the outlying courses. I don't know much about the Tucson courses--somebody else will have to take that one--but there are a few in the Northwest valley that are pretty reasonable. But if you're thinking TPC of Scottsdale or something similar, you might have to sell your car!

michned
11-09-2005, 12:15 AM
Actually, it takes little to get people around here to tear into a screaming Tucson-vs.-Phoenix debate. (I lived in Arizona for 20 years and fall on the Tucson side of it.)

You've got that right, as anyone who has ever attended a UA/ASU football game can attest to. Truly, one of most underrated and unappreciated rivalries in college sports.

A few messages back there was a quote about Tucson being nasty, and, like any medium or large city, you may find yourself in certain areas of town where you might say that. Unfortunately, TEP is in a very nondescript part of town (vacant lots, county hospital, industrial). Anyone who drives to the park directly from the airport or the freeway might get that impression. And as maurice alluded to, downtown Tucson is probably one of the worst downtowns you could imagine, in terms of commerce or anything else. There is a project called Rio Nuevo that is supposed to turn downtown Tucson into something that rivals San Antonio (I'll believe it when I see it).

But overall it is beautiful down here.

Places the players go: That is kind of a tough one, but try any golf course in the afternoon and in the evening try Restaurant Row, which is on E. Tanque Verde (east side of town). Lots of players frequent a place called Sakura (several D'backs players do commercials for them). Also try the bars at the major resorts. Randy Johnson used to frequent an Applebees at Ina/La Cholla on the northwest side (heard he was a horrible tipper).

Places to stay: I think MarySwiss had a great idea, check out Marana (my hometown), which is now considered a northwest Tucson suburb. There are at least a half dozen hotel/motels along I-10 at the Ina Rd. and Cortaro Rd. exits. Also, check out a place called InTown Suites on Ina Road in Marana. They offer weekly room rentals for about $200. Never stayed there but it's new and looks decent from the outside. Besides that, it is across the street from a Hooters and lots of other eating and drinking options.

These places are all about 30 minutes from the ballparks and about an hour and twenty minute drive to the Phoenix east valley area.

Too much to go into about all there is to do down here but just ask away or drop me a PM.

Ed

TDog
11-09-2005, 01:05 AM
... Lots of players frequent a place called Sakura (several D'backs players do commercials for them). ...

Indeed that is a very baseball-friendly place.

SOX LA Mikey
11-09-2005, 04:18 AM
Living in LA for the last 15 years, I was thrilled when the Sox decided to
make their ST home in Tucson, since that move I've usually taken a weekend in mid Feb and a whole week in March every year. My two best discoveries
(why am I telling anyone this?) came by chance, The Sox/ Diamondbacks pro-am golf outing at Tucon National is usually done the week B4 the Chrysler classic. (This Spring I saw Ozzie, Cora, Baines, Freddy, Garland, Widger, Hermanson, Kenny, and a whole bunch of others (Sox & D-backs)
I also accidentally stayed at the hotel where all the Sox minor leaguers stay,
I think it's called RiverWalk now and it's just off the 10 south of Congress,
..that was a lot of fun. It's got a Bennigan's in the front, and many of the guys hang out there. Have also met many of the Sox in the (4th ave?)
bars like Maloney's. This Spring Should be Something Else ...can't wait

Steelrod
11-09-2005, 04:34 AM
Raddisson Suites.

You are 15 minutes from park and right near all the restaurants. Players and coaches sometimes stay there. Reasonable with modest suites that sleep 4.
If you are budget minded, there are lots of small hotel chains near the airport. 5-10 minutes from park but nothing going on around there. You do not want to stay at the Holiday Inn, near the park. Fenced in property which makes me wonder why.
The sports bar at Sakura is mobbed but fun. Food is fair and overpriced.
Best restaurants are. Sullivans, McMahons, Firecracker grill. El Chorro is popular but I think it stinks. There is nothing near the ball park.

Steelrod
11-09-2005, 04:40 AM

The Raven , The Gallery, Starr Pass. Bring lots of money. Local public courses are cheaper. In fact, there's one next to the Raddisson. Never played it. Also one by Hi Corbett Field.

Steelrod
11-09-2005, 04:41 AM
BTW. Obey ALL traffic rules. The cops are nasty.

Viva Medias B's
11-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Note to Mods: WSI should rename this thread "*Official* Tucson Spring Training 2006 Tips/DiscussionThread" and make it a stuck thread.

I just finished making my Tucson reservations the other day. I am flying from O'Hare to Tucson nonstop on American Airlines (https://www.aa.com/index.jhtml), which seems to have the best availbility of flights from Chicago to Tucson. I know Southwest Airlines (http://www.southwest.com/) has a Midway-to-Tucson route, but it's not nearly as convenient as AA's routes. I got a great fare at $196 round trip! That is the lowest fare I've ever paid for a Chicago-to-Tucson round trip flight. Last year, I paid $346 for the same round trip flight.

Some of you probably will fly to Phoenix and drive to Tucson via I-10. I used to do that before airfares to Tucson became more affordable. Also, Tucson International Airport is much more driver friendly than Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. I like to spend 100% of my Arizona time in Pima County.

Every time I've gone to Tucson (seven trips), I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Palo Verde (http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/tusap?irs=y). However, that hotel seems to have increased their rates. They want about 45% more than what I paid there last year. They want $133 per night when I paid $91 per last year. Hence, I've decided to move to the nearby Red Roof Inn on Irvington (http://www.redroof.com/rr/check-availability.do?property=0225&numberOfAdults=&arrivalDate=&departureDate=&BTR=&redicardNumber=&corporatePlusNumber=&travelAgentNumber=). I'm taking advantage of a $52 per night rate to stay and extra day. Both hotels are right near the Kino Sports Complex (http://www.kinosportscomplex.com/) where Tucson Electric Park is.

For those of you planning your first trip to Tucson, you will need to rent a car to get around. If you're going to Tucson via Phoenix, enough said. This isn't New York or Chicago where public transportation will take you where you want to go. Tucson has city buses, but their system is not nearly as intricate as a big city's. I looked at rental rates from Avis (http://www.avis.com/AvisWeb/home/AvisHome), Hertz (https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/redirect.html?url=https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/index.jsp), Budget (http://www.budget.com/budgetWeb/home/home.ex), and Enterprise (http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/home.do). Among those carriers, Enterprise had the best rates for me.

manders_01
11-09-2005, 10:30 AM
I talked to Harold Baines at Bookman's, a used book store, on Speedway, but because he's only a coach, I guess that doesn't answer the question about where to go to meet players.

Awesome coach - awesome former player. Meeting Harold would be just as cool as meeting any of the guys - even if he is a little soft-spoken.

manders_01
11-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Based of the Yahoo maps, there seem to be a lot of restaurants and hotels near (SW) of the park. Are these not ones that would be worth my time? I was considering staying at the EconoLodge if I go alone. Does anyone have any comments on that particular hotel?

Also, since I'm considering going alone, I'm wondering if anyone else is (has)? Any chances for the WSIers to meet up?

One more thing, I'm probably going the weekend of St. Pat's and noticed there are 2 Irish named bars - good places to go for the holiday?

Medford Bobby
11-09-2005, 11:05 AM
:smile: Tucson will always be home number two after Chicago......Bob Dobb's bar (6th and University) is great for a quick drink and food...and I love Bobo's breakfast on Grant and Country Club......And yes I actually do like watching the Sox play at Hi-Corbett for spring games...If it was good for Bill Veeck, then it's good for me too.............:cool:

TDog
11-09-2005, 11:43 AM
BTW. Obey ALL traffic rules. The cops are nasty.

Steelrod, if I see you at the Radisson in January, you won't see me driving. I will mostly be bumming rides from friends.

A couple of tips about driving in Arizona:

In school zones, 15 mph means 15 mph. Driving 16 mph (or 16.4 mph as I was once clocked) can get you stopped.

For those of you who drink (I don't, but a lot of you here seem to), it also should be noted that there is mandatory jail time, in addition to the hefty fines and surcharges, for drunken drivers. The law prevents plea deals for people charged with drunken driving. The cops are aggressive about enforcement. You can plead guilty or take it to a jury. If you blow .08 or higher and can't prove the machine was likely in error, forget it. If you're from out of state, blow .05 and the cop testifies that you were driving erratically, you will need a good lawyer.

soxrme
11-09-2005, 11:45 AM
I would tell you the same thing. We have been going down there for five years now and have managed to see the SOX in both areas.

MarySwiss
11-09-2005, 12:09 PM

Also in the Tucson area, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. <http://www.desertmuseum.org/> This is a world-renowned combination zoo, museum, and botanical garden. It's one of my favorite places to take first time visitors. However, keep in mind it is in the desert, so sunscreen and sunglasses are a must. (A hat's a good idea, too.) It's also a good idea to wear comfortable shoes; there's a lot of walking involved. Plan on spending a whole day there, plenty to see.

mwc44
11-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Besides watching out for the very protective Tucson Police, make sure you keep an eye out for the "Will work for food" people who inhabit the center medians of every major intersection during the morning and afternoon "rush hours." At least they have to wear the protective flourescent orange vests now. They are harmless, but can be annoying.

:(:

maurice
11-09-2005, 01:55 PM
I'll second the Sonora Desert Museum and props for Tucson's airport. Everything is very compact. The gate is like a 10-minute walk from the car rental facilities (no shuttle needed). This March, Hertz had extra convertables (probably because it was unusually cool and rainy), so they gave us a very cheap upgrade.
:gulp:

Other major tourist attractions include San Xavier del Bac Mission, Kitt Peak Observatory, Old Tucson Studios, and the Pima Air & Space Museum (including the Titan Missle Museum and the Boneyard). Depending on your interests, you may enjoy one or more of these.

SportsPg
11-09-2005, 02:36 PM
My family has a home in Tubac, which is about 40 minutes south of Tucson. I've been going down there for 25 years.

Golfers who are Tin Cup fans should play the Tubac Golf Resort. It's the course that they filmed the movie on. The 16th hole is the par 5 that Costner got a 12 on. I've hit my ball into Tin Cup pond, which true to the movie, is right in front of the green. It's a nice course, with several holes on the back 9 that were used in the movie.

If you want to go for big $$, then I have to recommend Arizona National, where UA plays. The 18th hole on that course is spectacular. The other premium course I love is Ventana Canyon. Play the mountain course. It's insane, especially the par 3 where you tee off on a little plateau, and basically either have to hit the green or your ball goes careening down into the mountainside. Awesome course.

I also enjoy the Desert Museum - I've been going there for years - totally unique zoo experience. If you have the wife with you, send her shopping near Tubac (lots of antiques, jewelry, artsy stuff) or have her go to the Miraval Spa(Oprah's favorite located about an hour north of Tucson). I sent my wife there while I hit 36 at Arizona National & Ventana Canyon. One of the best days of my life :cool:

michned
11-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Besides watching out for the very protective Tucson Police, make sure you keep an eye out for the "Will work for food" people who inhabit the center medians of every major intersection during the morning and afternoon "rush hours." At least they have to wear the protective flourescent orange vests now. They are harmless, but can be annoying.

I honestly haven't noticed that the local police are overzealous or whatever phrase you might want to use. But I would agree, they are pretty strict in enforcing the rules, especially the 15mph in school zones as previously mentioned. I have also heard firsthand of cops of one department giving moving vehicle citations to off-duty cops of another.

Most of the people in the medians are newspaper hawkers, which is now illegal within Tucson city limits. You still see plenty of them in the unincorporated areas.

MarySwiss
11-09-2005, 03:03 PM
I honestly haven't noticed that the local police are overzealous or whatever phrase you might want to use. But I would agree, they are pretty strict in enforcing the rules, especially the 15mph in school zones as previously mentioned. I have also heard firsthand of cops of one department giving moving vehicle citations to off-duty cops of another.

Most of the people in the medians are newspaper hawkers, which is now illegal within Tucson city limits. You still see plenty of them in the unincorporated areas.

Yeah, I think that school zone thing is statewide; they enforce it in the Phoenix area as well. Another thing to be aware of is the carpool lanes. Don't even think about it if you're alone in the car; I wish I had a nickel for everyone I've seen pulled over for this and I believe it's a huge fine. Also, different freeways have diferent carpool lane hours. In some cases, it's during the morning and afternoon rush hours, but in others it's all the time.

I've also noticed that many people out here aren't all that nuts about using their turn signals. And if you're in Scottsdale--and some other areas--they have this thing called a lagging left turn arrow, which means that cars turning left get the arrow after the light turns red, not before it turns green. That can throw you the first few times it happens.

michned
11-09-2005, 03:04 PM
If you want to go for big $$, then I have to recommend Arizona National, where UA plays. The 18th hole on that course is spectacular. The other premium course I love is Ventana Canyon. Play the mountain course. It's insane, especially the par 3 where you tee off on a little plateau, and basically either have to hit the green or your ball goes careening down into the mountainside. Awesome course.

I also love 49'er Country Club. But at that time of year, like you said, big bucks.

The five Tucson city courses provide great value as an alternative. Randolph has hosted many PGA and LPGA events in past years. Silverbell is a nice course that I play frequently. Dell Urich is next to Randolph and is a fairly easy course.Fred Enke is a desert course so if you hook or slice a lot make sure you have a few dozen balls. El Rio is the oldest and shortest course and has had turf problems so I'm not even sure it's playable right now.

The big thing is, make your tee times as soon as humanly possible. March gets booked up very fast, sometimes months in advance.
http://www.tucsoncitygolf.com/

michned
11-09-2005, 03:07 PM
I've also noticed that many people out here aren't all that nuts about using their turn signals. And if you're in Scottsdale--and some other areas--they have this thing called a lagging left turn arrow, which means that cars turning left get the arrow after the light turns red, not before it turns green. That can throw you the first few times it happens.

Yes, all of Tucson and Pima County is lagging left turn arrow country. This was very hard to get used to but now it's the leading left turn arrow that screws me up!

mwc44
11-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Cafe Terra Cotta and Kingfisher are two very nice places for an upscale dinner without the downtown Chicago price, but make sure you leave room for dessert because nothing beats a sundae at Austin's Old Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor!!!

michned
11-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Cafe Terra Cotta and Kingfisher are two very nice places for an upscale dinner without the downtown Chicago price, but make sure you leave room for dessert because nothing beats a sundae at Austin's Old Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor!!!

Okay, since we are talking food, although it's just a hole in the wall, when in Tucson you must stop in to Pat's Chili Dogs at Grande and Niagara. We have relatives who buy the chili by the gallon and take it home.

More great restaurants you might not hear about:

Cody's Beef and Beans - E. Ft. Lowell Rd. - My absolute favorite. Family-owned, big portions. Amazingly, never that crowded.

Nonie - E. Grant - Cajun food.

Fiorito's - E. Grant (actually I believe Nonie, Kingfisher, and Fiorito's are all within walking distance of each other). Great Italian.

Chuy's - many locations - semi-fast-food, but excellent tri-tip and chicken. Very casual, the kind of place to hang out, eat and drink during spring training.

La Parilla Suiza - two locations - Mexico City-style Mexican food (most Mexican restaurants down here are Sonoran style).

Mi Nidito - So. 4th Avenue (authentic Tucson) - so good, Presidents eat here.

Maya Quetzal - N. 4th Avenue - when was the last time you had Guatemalan food? Simply awesome.

Viva Medias B's
11-09-2005, 09:47 PM
My favorite restaurant in Tucson is the famous Mama Louisa's (http://emol.org/mamalouisas/) at 2041 South Craycroft Road.

I've visited most of the sites mentioned in this thread. They're all worth the visit. I would say the Pima Air and Space Museum was the most exciting followed by Mission San Xavier del Bac.

TDog
11-09-2005, 10:35 PM
... but make sure you leave room for dessert because nothing beats a sundae at Austin's Old Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor!!!

:smile:

I know people who go to Tucson annually and make it a point to visit Austin's at least once a day during their stay. In fact, some White Sox guys have been spotted there.

I could go for two scoops of mango right now.

mwc44
11-09-2005, 10:46 PM
:smile:

I know people who go to Tucson annually and make it a point to visit Austin's at least once a day during their stay. In fact, some White Sox guys have been spotted there.

The Sox guys get in... only when the fantasy camp regulars clear out! :D:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62045

Medford Bobby
11-10-2005, 09:53 AM
:cool: STOP IT!!!! Now I want a Pat's HOT style hot dog!!!!!!!!!!!:tongue: