11-08-2005, 01:06 PM
rounding out the voting...

Mariano Rivera
Johan Santana
Cliff Lee
Mark Buehrle
Jon Garland
Kevin Millwood

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051108&content_id=1266027&vkey=news_ana&fext=.jsp&c_id=ana

mandmandm
11-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Bummer for Jon. I believe both Mark and Jon had bonuses clauses in their contracts if they finished in the top five. Oh well, Bartolo can kiss both of their rings next summer.

Banix12
11-08-2005, 01:26 PM
I know the voters get hung up on wins but I really think Johan Santana should have won it. He was the best pitcher in the american league this year, he just had a pretty sorry looking offense playing behind him this season.

Oh well, Contreras in 2006!

Palehose13
11-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Cliff Lee ahead of Mark and Jon? *sigh* Cue Rodney...

http://www.jimbrittphoto.com/showbiz2/Rodney%20Dangerfield.jpg

bobowhite
11-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Since the voting is two sportswriters from each major league city, I wonder what two idiots have the vote in Chicago?

CHISOXFAN13
I understand Millwood had a very good ERA, but he was 9-11. Nine wins does not deserve serious Cy Young consideration.

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised when Cliff Lee finishes ahead of Buerhle.

Tekijawa
Way to go FATS Colon!

I think Colon was the clear cut choice, you won't get any arguement out of me.

Unregistered
Colon really came through for the Angels when they needed him. You know, missing starts down the stretch, sitting out the entire ALCS...

Even with the CY, I sure as hell am glad we didn't re-sign Slimer. :D:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3510
"This award tastes like crap!"

palehozenychicty
11-08-2005, 01:58 PM
bartolo colon is the definition of "tub o' goo". he always would give up 5 runs in the first inning when he played here, and continues to do so in the clutch. i'm good without colon as well.

jdm2662
11-08-2005, 02:01 PM
I didn't want the fat ass to win it, but I knew he was going to. I would've given it to Johan Santana myself. He is the best pitcher in the AL hands down.

Jerko
11-08-2005, 02:02 PM
I guess the voters forgot that Colon is no longer an Indian, since they seem to be winning everything else for coming in 2nd.

Palehose13
11-08-2005, 02:17 PM
bartolo colon is the definition of "tub o' goo". he always would give up 5 runs in the first inning when he played here, and continues to do so in the clutch. i'm good without colon as well.

Ncorgbl? :o:

Stroker Ace
11-08-2005, 02:21 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Avy2w8HUpS6GpD0tUGw6DD4RvLYF?slug=ap-alcyyoung&prov=ap&type=lgns

No Sox in the top three. Colon can take it, I'll rather our starters wear rings.

skottyj242
11-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Colon really came through for the Angels when they needed him. You know, missing starts down the stretch, sitting out the entire ALCS...

The award was voted on before the end of the regular season so the ALCS has nothing to do with it.

MUsoxfan
11-08-2005, 02:23 PM
I would have voted:

1. Colon
2. Santana
3. Buehrle
4. C. Lee
5. Garland

I don't like relievers winning the Cy Young

samram
11-08-2005, 02:24 PM
I guess the voters forgot that Colon is no longer an Indian, since they seem to be winning everything else for coming in 2nd.

No teal really needed for that. What with their 12 all-stars last year despite being 80-82, having the exec of the year for not doing anything, and finishing second in 2005 after being swept by a AAA team the last weekend of the season, they are baseball's ultimate winners for losing.

Unregistered
11-08-2005, 02:25 PM
The award was voted on before the end of the regular season so the ALCS has nothing to do with it.
I understand that - I'm just saying that having the AL CY Young award winner on their team didn't do much for the Angels when they needed it.

Dan Mega
11-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Since the voting is two sportswriters from each major league city, I wonder what two idiots have the vote in Chicago?

Sherman and Mariotti.

I think Colon deserved it though. Congrats to him.

bobowhite
11-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Sherman and Mariotti.

I think Colon deserved it though. Congrats to him.

When a guy wins 20 games, no matter what else he does, he deserves consideration for the Cy Young. And with the fact that the votes are cast before the playoffs, I'm not surprised he did win it. I thought that Buehrle and Garland both recieved a little more consideration though. Maybe a first place vote would have been nice?

tstrike2000
11-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Colon no doubt had a good season. Unfortunately, several Sox players and Ken Williams should've either finished higher or won their prospective awards this season. Like many here have said, the World Series ring our guys won will take the cake over any award biased sports writers, coaches, and executives vote on.

spiffie
11-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Colon: 21-8, 3.48, 157K, 43BB, 1.16WHIP, 222.2 IP
Santana: 16-7, 2.87, 238K, 45BB, 0.97WHIP, 231.2 IP
Lee: 18-5, 3.79, 143K, 52BB, 1.22WHIP, 202.0 IP
Millwood: 9-11, 2.86, 146K, 52BB, 1.22WHIP, 192.0 IP
Buehrle: 16-8, 3.12, 149K, 40BB, 1.19WHIP, 236.2 IP
Garland: 18-10, 3.50, 115K, 47BB, 1.17WHIP, 221.0 IP

I think I would have had to give it to Santana, his numbers just really jump out ahead of anyone else on that list. After that I'd go Buehrle, Colon, Rivera, Garland.

salty99
11-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Buehrle gets a $60, 000 bonus for finishing 5th.

Colon gets $500, 000 which is more than Cliff Lee made the entire season.

HotelWhiteSox
11-08-2005, 02:51 PM
I think I would've given it to Santana.

Mark and Jon had some iffy starts towards the end (well, Jon got a lot of tough luck no-decisions/losses at the end of the year), but of course, they came up big when it mattered the most, giving them hardware and bonuses of their own :smile:

oeo
11-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Look at that weak AL Central, they only have five out of the seven candidates!

I didn't think Mark or Jon deserved it over Colon, but I'm pretty happy that we have 2 out of the top 5.

asindc
11-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Santana
Colon
Buehrle
Garland
Lee

I really think MLB should elevate an award for relievers to the same status as the Cy Young, or at least announced separately. It's an apples vs. oranges thing to me. Santana was without a doubt to me the best pitcher in the AL this year. Funny, I see no AL East pitchers in the top 6.

GoSoxGo
11-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Buehrle takes 5th place and Garland takes 6th as Colon wins the award. As with Iguchi, I am not as disappointed at them not winning as I am with how low they are placing in the voting. Mark only received 5 3rd place ballots anmd John one 3rd place vote. Colon wins with 1118 points and Buehrle only gets 5? Does that seem right?

salty99
11-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Don't you know this has already been discussed numerous times in the Talking Baseball thread? :mad:

DaleJRFan
11-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Sorry but, who cares??? Buehrle and Garland have rings. Colon doesn't. End of argument! :redneck

GoSoxGo
11-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Sorry!!! I will punish myself by not posting for 2 days.:whiner:

santo=dorf
11-08-2005, 03:58 PM
DO the voters look at anything besides ERA or wins? I'm not just talking WHIP, K/9 or BB/9.

Cliff ****ing Lee?

Here's something from rotoworld:

Cliff Lee improved to 18-4 despite giving up six runs in 6 2/3 innings against the Royals tonight.
The Indians have actually tried talking up Lee as a Cy Young contender, but that's a joke and an insult to Kevin Millwood, who has been the club's best pitcher. Lee has had a nice season, but at 3.90, he barely ranks in the top 20 in the AL in ERA. Also, six of his 31 starts have come against Kansas City, and the only other team he faced more than twice was a weak Seattle club. He's 1-1 with a 6.43 ERA in his six starts against the Red Sox, Yankees and White Sox.

Cliff Lee won for the 17th time this season after allowing four runs in seven innings against the Royals tonight.
The Indians are just 3 1/2 back of the White Sox now. Kevin Millwood would be the Cy Young favorite if he received Lee's run support. Six times Lee has won without posting a quality start. He is 3-1 with a 5.28 ERA in five starts against the Royals.

Lee was 4th in the AL in run support with 6.46 runs per game.

What a joke. :mad:

maurice
11-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Cliff Lee ahead of Mark and Jon? *sigh*

Yeah, no bias there.

It's even worse than it looks. Lee got 2 second-place votes while Buehrle & Garland combined for zero first- or second-place votes. (Buehrle received 5 third-place votes, while Garland got only one vote total.)

There's no rational methodolgy in place here. Garland had the same number of regular-season wins as Lee and a lower ERA. Buehrle had 2 fewer wins than Lee (if you don't count the All Star game and the playoffs) and a MUCH lower ERA. Lee was maybe the luckiest starter in MLB this year.

If this is right, at least one of the 2 Chicago guys failed to vote for Jon at all, and neither of them picked Buehrle or Garland for first- or second-place.

Sport media is filled with morons. Why not make this a player vote?

MUsoxfan
11-08-2005, 04:02 PM
DO the voters look at anything besides ERA or wins? I'm not just talking WHIP, K/9 or BB/9.

Cliff ****ing Lee?

W's can carry someone a long way. Millwood didn't have the W's

Lip Man 1
11-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Jon Garland had 13 wins at the all star break. If he wins 10 games in the second half instead of five, the award is his easily. His standing is partially based on his second half numbers dropping.

This result wasn't unexpected.

Lip

Chips
11-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Santana
Colon
Buehrle
Garland
Lee

I really think MLB should elevate an award for relievers to the same status as the Cy Young, or at least announced separately. It's an apples vs. oranges thing to me. Santana was without a doubt to me the best pitcher in the AL this year. Funny, I see no AL East pitchers in the top 6.

Relievers have no business winning the Cy Young, IMO. They don't put up the innings or wins, etc tha starters do. Relievers have their Rolaids Relief man.

doublem23
11-08-2005, 05:39 PM

Cliff ****ing Lee?

But the Indians are so lovable and they played so hard the last 2 months of the season... They deserve it!

Shapiro and Lee... Man, these new Toons are getting real easy to hate real fast. :angry:

SouthSide_HitMen
11-08-2005, 06:08 PM
My ballot:

Johan Santana
Mark Buehrle
Bartolo Colon

Jon Garland (4th if there was a 4th on the ballot).

Rivera should not receive votes as he pitched less than 1/2 the time of these starters. Relievers already have an award and should not be considered for Cy Young.

All three had excellent years. Santana pitched for the worst team of the bunch and still had great numbers. Colon received the award because he was lucky his team gave him a few more decisions (or his bullpen saved a few more of his wins) than the other two.

soxfanatlanta
11-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Man, they have been completely shut out so far. If Ozzie does not get the manager of the year award, do they have to give their rings back?

White Sox - 2005 World Series Champions!

ChiSoxRowand
11-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Sport media is filled with morons. Why not make this a player vote?

And make it like the Gold Gloves, which are the biggest joke of all the awards? I would have went with Santana. Rivera has no business winning the award. 4 blown saves and 4 losses is not Cy Young caliber. Rivera wouldn't have even been in my top 7 or 8.

StillMissOzzie
11-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Relievers have no business winning the Cy Young, IMO. They don't put up the innings or wins, etc tha starters do. Relievers have their Rolaids Relief man.

I agree. But, I hate it even more when a reliever wins the MVP, like Eckersly did that one year when he was lights out as the closer for the A's.

SMO
:angry:

Corlose 15
11-09-2005, 03:53 AM
And make it like the Gold Gloves, which are the biggest joke of all the awards? I would have went with Santana. Rivera has no business winning the award. 4 blown saves and 4 losses is not Cy Young caliber. Rivera wouldn't have even been in my top 7 or 8.

You're forgetting his most important quality though. The fact that his cap has an N and a Y on it.

gogosox83
11-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Buehrle had almost the same stats as Colon, in fact, his era was better and he pitched more innings. Go to mlb.com and compare the two. You can make an argument that other than wins, Buehrle was better. To me a true test of a starter's effectiveness is era and quality starts (6 innings + and no other starter comes close to 56 in that category over past 2 years) not wins/losses. In the end, we won the series and that is all that matters. The other teams can have the individual awards.