PDA

View Full Version : If the Sox won Back-2-Back titles...

soxfanreggie
11-08-2005, 10:55 AM
If the Sox won back to back titles, do you think that we would be getting the recognition we deserve. Many people are not giving us the respect we deserve after winning the top prize in baseball as the BEST TEAM! If we were to repeat, would we finally get the respect we deserve?

By repeating, I don't think we can be ignored. If we're like Florida and win 2 WS titles in 6 years, that would be nice, but if we win back 2 back, I don't think you can ignore us.

Tekijawa
11-08-2005, 10:57 AM
but if we win back 2 back, I don't think you can ignore us.

I'd be willing to bet money That THEY COULD Ignore us!

It's Time
11-08-2005, 10:59 AM
No. doubt. about. it. I have said that the White Sox must win multiple titles to get respect in this town and nationally. The fact the Cubs are getting a simulated press conference on ESPN today is a slap.

A dynasty is a sure bet to shut all the ****ing doubters up and while one title is nice, I'm not satisfied.:cool:

soxfanreggie
11-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Yes, they could, but it would be funny to see them try to do that for another year.

SoxFan78
11-08-2005, 11:04 AM
The major story wouldnt be how the White Sox won back to back, it would be how bad the Yankees and Red Sox have gotten and what they need to do to get back in the WS picture.

MadetoOrta
11-08-2005, 11:12 AM
All I have to say is WORLD CHAMPS!!! 1.75 million fans at the rally, 2.8 -3.1 million fans through the gates next year, and with a stud young pitcher [McCarthy] to supplement the best rotation in baseball, we're in good shape folks. Someone will eventually start a thread about going through an airport in some far away land, wearing a White Sox hat, only to have someone come up and say how much they love the team. They can try to ignore the fact that we're World Champs, but it's to no avail. The people know.

Cellview22
11-08-2005, 11:17 AM
The only people not giving us recognition and respect are fans of other teams who hate the Sox (Cubs fans) and certain members of the national media who hate the Sox. I think the more titles the Sox win, the more they'll hate us. I don't see it changing. We get recognition from most people/networks around the country.. basically anyone who doesn't have a biased opinion against us.

It's Time
11-08-2005, 11:19 AM
We get recognition from most people/networks around the country.. basically anyone who doesn't have a biased opinion against us.

Who would these networks be?:?:

Cellview22
11-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Who would these networks be?:?:

Fox and ESPN are really the only networks that blatantly disrespect the White Sox. They both love high ratings and since they've shoved Red Sox/Yankees/Cubs down everyone's throats for so long, the last thing they wanted was the White Sox in the World Series. During the Series, the nightly news on CBS, NBC, and ABC at 5:30 (national news) all had stories on the White Sox. NBC had a great piece titled "South Side Story" featuring Ozzie Guillen and the huge Latin fan base. There were also White Sox World Series coverage on Extra and Entertainment Tonight, and they were all very positive toward the Sox.

soxfanatlanta
11-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Lookin' for love in all the wrong places...

The thing that is bothering me lately is reading all the angry posts here. The more people complain that they don't get enough respect, the less respect they get (T.O. is the poster child for this, no?).

I would love nothing more then to see a lovefest for the Sox, they really should get some serious credit this year. But alas, if it has not happened yet, it's not going to happen; too many members of the national media just don't care for Chicago - if it's not the Cubs.

But, to steal a song title from Miles Davis..."So What?" Does it truely matter? The writers, the T.V. dolts, the dog catcher, even Bud Selig cannot change what we saw:

Chicago White Sox - 2005 World Series Champions.

Jeff "Rant"-ley is not going to come crawling into Puffers, begging for mercy.

Joe Buck is not going to make a public apology about all of the "controversy" comments he makes.

The Trib is not going to liquidate the Cubs, and incorporate the Sox symbol to the paper's logo. (I'd finally get a subscription if they did)

BAM!

Ima gonna get of this thing now
http://img.nextag.com/imagefiles/small/000/000/809/500/80950084.jpg

Oh yeah, I'd love to see a second, third, fourth championship. Makes me giddy just thinking about it :rolleyes:

eastchicagosoxfan
11-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Why would anyone care what the national media cares about the Sox, especially if they go back to back? Fox and ESPN don't hand out titles. Ball teams earn them. Don't watch them, or enjoy them for what they are, which is controversy-generating machines. Notice that those guys don't get paid to make the right predictions. I'm deriving plenty of satisfaction from the World Championship the Sox won, I could care less what a bunch of commentators that get national exposure think. If they mattered, there'd be no playoffs, just a vote by the media to determine the best team.

Realist
11-08-2005, 12:05 PM
If you read the thoughtful comments by the informed fans of other fan sites, you'll see tons of recognition for what the White Sox did this year. True fans of the sport know that this was a great team that practically mowed down its opponents from the beginning of April until the end of October. They truly watched the games being played for no other reason than they love the sport.

When it comes to the media, be it local or national, there are other factors involved. Well, only one main factor I can think of off the top of my head and that's $$$$$. By winning only one championship, this making money off the ratings or selling newspapers is unlikely to change. However, the Sox winning two in a row or creating a Dynasty will not, nor could not be ignored.

The story may morph into "How will the Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs dethrone the pesty White Sox?", but the attention and respect will be firmly in place.

RealMenWearBlack
11-08-2005, 12:08 PM
No. doubt. about. it. I have said that the White Sox must win multiple titles to get respect in this town and nationally. The fact the Cubs are getting a simulated press conference on ESPN today is a slap.

A dynasty is a sure bet to shut all the ****ing doubters up and while one title is nice, I'm not satisfied.:cool:

The part about the Cub's press conference is supposed to be in teal, right?

Baby Fisk
11-08-2005, 12:08 PM
Lookin' for love in all the wrong places...

The thing that is bothering me lately is reading all the angry posts here. The more people complain that they don't get enough respect, the less respect they get (T.O. is the poster child for this, no?).

I would love nothing more then to see a lovefest for the Sox, they really should get some serious credit this year. But alas, if it has not happened yet, it's not going to happen; too many members of the national media just don't care for Chicago - if it's not the Cubs.

But, to steal a song title from Miles Davis..."So What?" Does it truely matter? The writers, the T.V. dolts, the dog catcher, even Bud Selig cannot change what we saw:

I agree with this post. "Respect" is a somewhat amorphous term. What would constitute getting enough "respect"? Are the crumbling Yankee and Red Sox teams currently "respected"? Does "respect" just mean "media hype"? If so, then who cares? The White Sox will never be media darlings. This doesn't diminish their world championship one iota to me. Don't fret about being validated by others. WE ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS for pete's sake.

Deuce
11-08-2005, 12:11 PM
No, back to back championships would not change anything. They will find some way to marginalize it all. They are creative in that sense... and unfortunately in that sense alone.

Deuce

soxfan26
11-08-2005, 12:17 PM
I agree with this post. "Respect" is a somewhat amorphous term. What would constitute getting enough "respect"? Are the crumbling Yankee and Red Sox teams currently "respected"? Does "respect" just mean "media hype"? If so, then who cares? The White Sox will never be media darlings. This doesn't diminish their world championship one iota to me. Don't fret about being validated by others. WE ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS for pete's sake.

*applause*

You said it all right there. Respect from media whores doesn't matter to real baseball fans.

It's Time
11-08-2005, 12:19 PM
The part about the Cub's press conference is supposed to be in teal, right?

No, it's not. ESPN has done a simulated press conference since Sunday. The Red Sox were Sundays team, yesterday was the Yankees and today? You guessed it, the Cubs. They are addressing each teams needs and are fielding questions from "reporters" (ESPN personalities) on who they will go after.

I **** you not. This is actually happening. See for yourself tonight. I actually started a thread on it in talking baseball.

soxfanatlanta
11-08-2005, 12:23 PM
*applause*

You said it all right there. Respect from media whores doesn't matter to real baseball fans.

I like where this thread is going now. Let me try to add one last thing:

The Red Sox respect the White Sox

The Angels respect the White Sox

The Astros respect the White Sox

And I consider them to be the experts on the word r-e-s-p-e-c-t.

veeter
11-08-2005, 12:28 PM
I think just another DIVISION title will cement respect locally. Another series title will help nationally, but nothing firm. Personally, all I care about is local respect. Everyone here knows the espn's are just worthless, so who cares. I want to open a trib and see, "2008 season preview- Ho hum, the Sox shoot for divsion number four in a row. Meanwhile, the cubs looking to reach .500"

Lip Man 1
11-08-2005, 12:53 PM
I say 'who cares' what the media thinks (and I'm in the media...)

Lip

antitwins13
11-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Maybe I'm a cynic, but I think the lack of respect is just something that comes with the territory of being a Sox fan. WS titles probably won't change that. I wish they would, but in reality they won't.

nccwsfan
11-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Has winning the World Series this year been diminished in any way because of what others think??? If so that's too bad, because after all of the bad years/mediocre years/good years but not enough to win it all....I can FINALLY say that my team is the best in Major League Baseball.

No one can take that away people. Not the media, not the skeptics, not the Cubs/Red Sox/Yankees fans....no one.

In my mind we've earned the respect and in 2006 people are going to be gunning for the Chicago White Sox. Only one team can repeat their title next year.....let the others have the individual awards, the press, the silly curses and droughts.

We're World Champions. ENJOY IT :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

nlentz88
11-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Maybe I'm a cynic, but I think the lack of respect is just something that comes with the territory of being a Sox fan.

Well said. The issue of lack of respect sometimes seems to be one tied to the nature of the White Sox organization and fanbase. Many White Sox fans almost seem proud to support the underdog, the team that flies under the radar, the team that isn't a national media darling. And the organization seems to feel this vibe too. I read/saw quite a few player interviews this season where the theme was, "We've been winning all season, but we're still not getting any respect." It seems like this is just part of White Sox baseball.

Certainly, winning the World Series catapulted the Sox out of media mediocrity. The respect from the media and baseball fandom at large, though, remains missing. But maybe this is a good thing. Do we really want the Sox to become a south side version of the Cubs? Sure, increased attendence and the money it would bring is great, but what about the Sox identity? Isn't it more noble to support a great team that gets no respect than to support a mediocre team that gets undeserved attention and respect?

Bucky F. Dent
11-08-2005, 02:21 PM
If the Sox won back to back titles the last thing I would be thinking about was what Peter Gammons thought about my team. In fact, I'd probably never read another sports section or listen to another sports radio show, or surf another sports website in my life.
Why would I?
Why should I?
I would have achieved sports Nirvana.

soxfanreggie
11-09-2005, 03:00 AM
I think Peter Gammons would have a heart attack if the Sox won another title...:rolleyes:

AZSoxFAN
11-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Who cares - it only matters in Chicago. What the east coast thinks is unimportant.:D: