PDA

View Full Version : Old News: Papa Konerko says "no hometown discount" for Sox. Matsui interested in Sox.

It's Time
11-08-2005, 10:55 AM
From the Cubune:

Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't want to disappoint his growing fan base, not with all those requests for information about season tickets, so the Sox will try to convince agent Craig Landis (the son of former White Sox center fielder Jim Landis) to steer his client back to Chicago. But Konerko's father, Hank, told an Arizona newspaper last month that there would be no hometown discounts—the time for that was last winter, and Williams wanted to keep his options open. Now it's Konerko's turn to study his options.

According to major-league sources, Matsui was watching the White Sox closely in October. If Konerko doesn't return, the left-handed-hitting outfielder could be the best possible replacement in the middle of Ozzie Guillen's lineup. The Yankees are trying to re-sign him before Friday, when he can join hundreds of other free agents on the open market.

The hot stove is getting hotter. Matsui is interesting but his defense is awful. As far as Paul goes, I don't get the impression he is coming back.

soxfanreggie
11-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Someone should remind Konerko's father how much we overpaid his son when he had his crappy years here. This reminds me of when the fathers of our players here at school get involved. We had a player transfer because his father thought he was NBA potential at SF when he was playing PF and C. Needless to say, he transferred to a Big 10 school where he will get to ride the pine for a while.

Tekijawa
11-08-2005, 10:59 AM
If Matsui comes here I wonder if they would put his extensive video library Into a DVD Box Set?

MadetoOrta
11-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Someone should remind Konerko's father how much we overpaid his son when he had his crappy years here. This reminds me of when the fathers of our players here at school get involved. We had a player transfer because his father thought he was NBA potential at SF when he was playing PF and C. Needless to say, he transferred to a Big 10 school where he will get to ride the pine for a while.

I have the same concern. Will his father agree to a "hometown rebate" should Paulie's numbers go to .250 24 HR 80 RBI? I doubt it.

soxfanreggie
11-08-2005, 11:08 AM
Yes, his defense isn't that good...but if we lost PK...we could put Matsui at DH. 2 years older than PK... .305 battin, 23 hrs, 116 RBI...192 hits...and one nice stat...162 G...i'm willing to take that on as a DH. Paid $8 mil last year...not a bad contract for a career .297 hitter who has missed like 1 game in 3 years.

Chicken Dinner
11-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Plain and simple, the White Sox are not going to do anything stupid to resign PK. If he is dead set against signing for anything but money, good riddance. If he really wants to not play in Chicago anymore, all he has to do is hire Scott Boras. All I can say though, is the longer this thing plays out, the less of a chance that he will be back.

And I could care less about what his father said over a month ago.

Realist
11-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Friggin' Cubune tossing up a bunch of crap from last month from a second hand source that was uttered long before the last out of the World Series, the Parade, or the groundswell of Chicago White Sox fan love for Paul Konerko that was unleashed in the aftermath.

To me, this is just more horrible spin from that godawful rag.

Ol' No. 2
11-08-2005, 11:15 AM
From the Cubune:

Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't want to disappoint his growing fan base, not with all those requests for information about season tickets, so the Sox will try to convince agent Craig Landis (the son of former White Sox center fielder Jim Landis) to steer his client back to Chicago. But Konerko's father, Hank, told an Arizona newspaper last month that there would be no hometown discounts—the time for that was last winter, and Williams wanted to keep his options open. Now it's Konerko's turn to study his options.

According to major-league sources, Matsui was watching the White Sox closely in October. If Konerko doesn't return, the left-handed-hitting outfielder could be the best possible replacement in the middle of Ozzie Guillen's lineup. The Yankees are trying to re-sign him before Friday, when he can join hundreds of other free agents on the open market.

The hot stove is getting hotter. Matsui is interesting but his defense is awful. As far as Paul goes, I don't get the impression he is coming back.What's the deal with his father? Doesn't he have an agent for this kind of stuff? His father should **** and let the agent to do what he's getting paid to do. If he keeps blabbing he'd just going to screw it up.

It's Time
11-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Friggin' Cubune tossing up a bunch of crap from last month from a second hand source that was uttered long before the last out of the World Series, the Parade, or the groundswell of Chicago White Sox fan love for Paul Konerko that was unleashed in the aftermath.

I believe this story is true. Konerko said as much after the WS was over or just before it ended. I think he WANTS to come back but I don't think he expects the White Sox to outbid another team for his services.

Realist
11-08-2005, 11:21 AM
What's the deal with his father? Doesn't he have an agent for this kind of stuff? His father should **** and let the agent to do what he's getting paid to do. If he keeps blabbing he'd just going to screw it up.

Yeah, you're right, but crap like this could easily leak off the lips of a lot of parents when their kid is smacking the living hell out of the ball in the playoffs. It may or it may not mean a damn thing. The problem is when certain media outlets play the quote up as if it came directly from the horse's mouth and when the timing of quote is taken completely out of context.

Maybe this quote by Mr. Konerko carries some weight and truly is a factor, but based on the Cubune's history, I'm more inclined to think of it as them tossing a wet blanket.

It's Time
11-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Levineline is going to be on ESPN 1000 in about 45 minutes to offer up his words of wisdom on the subject.

LongLiveFisk
11-08-2005, 11:28 AM
What's the deal with his father? Doesn't he have an agent for this kind of stuff? His father should **** and let the agent to do what he's getting paid to do. If he keeps blabbing he'd just going to screw it up.

Thank you--my sentiments exactly. It's one thing to care about your son and want what's in his best interests but it's entirely another to come off sounding like you're his spokesperson or that he's not old enough to handle his own affairs so daddy better come to the rescue.

Realist
11-08-2005, 11:29 AM
I believe this story is true. Konerko said as much after the WS was over or just before it ended. I think he WANTS to come back but I don't think he expects the White Sox to outbid another team for his services.

Maybe the story really is true to this very day, but remember that Mr. Konerko said this a month ago. Much has changed. Mr. Konerko's quote was uttered long before the last out of game 4, Paul Konerko's speech about repeating, or his giving the ball from the last out to Uncle Jerry. Those are capable of being some serious strong winds of change.

Hell, I can't fault Paulie for testing the free agent market, I'm actually kind of excited to see how it plays out for him too. It's the first time he's done this and it seems like a pretty fun adventure, especially seeing how he was such a big factor in the success of a World Series Championship Team. I'm hoping the entire baseball world drools over him and he settles for us for just a smidgen less.

Domeshot17
11-08-2005, 11:31 AM
I dont think it means much. I mean, we all are bias but put yourself in Paulies Shoes

Coming off a career year in 2004, offers to stay cheap in Chicago. We had the chance to steal him, and KW did drop the ball. Now Paulie knows other teams will offer more than the 9 a year he agreed too in spring training, and his dad wants his son, the cream of the free agent market, to get what is best for himself. No Parent would be any different, but all he could be saying is Do not expect him back for 9 or 10 a year, you want him back, Pony Up. I just hope Paulie knows Chicago wants him back.

Tekijawa
11-08-2005, 11:32 AM

In other news Furcal's Agent said he would like to play for the Cubs... No one wants to play for the world champions but all the Free Agents would love to play infront of a packed house on the north side! I'm guessing that's because all you have to do while you're there as a player is pick up your paycheck and try an play around 90+ games, and you don't even have to try hard in those.

soxfanreggie
11-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Whether or not we re-sign Pk, I want us to take a serious look at Matsui. He definitely has a nice bat that would fit right in here. Plus, it would give someone to Gooch to talk to and keep us going as on of the most international teams (if not the most) in baseball.

tstrike2000
11-08-2005, 11:38 AM

Nothing irks sports fans more than when players' parents and families get involved in choosing teams or contract negotiations. The old Archie Manning syndrome. Paul or someone else needs to tell Pops Konerko to shut up, have a coke and a smile, and go play golf under the balmy Arizona sun. Nothing good can come from that. It's simple, let the agent set the terms and maybe they can hammer out a deal. The other comments and speculation from Pops is just smoke-filled coffee house crap.

Ol' No. 2
11-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Nothing irks sports fans more than when players' parents and families get involved in choosing teams or contract negotiations. The old Archie Manning syndrome. Paul or someone else needs to tell Pops Konerko to shut up, have a coke and a smile, and go play golf under the balmy Arizona sun. Nothing good can come from that. It's simple, let the agent set the terms and maybe they can hammer out a deal. The other comments and speculation from Pops is just smoke-filled coffee house crap.And I'm sure Landis is none too pleased that he's got a loose cannon on his hands. On top of everything else he has to do damage control.

Realist
11-08-2005, 11:42 AM
The other comments and speculation from Pops is just smoke-filled coffee house crap.

Shocking how it was the Cubune that came up with this story then, eh?

Trav
11-08-2005, 11:44 AM
His dad also went to JR's house personally to thank him for PK's first contract with the Sox according to a story about three months ago. Anyone remember that?

SouthSoxFan
11-08-2005, 11:52 AM
In other news Furcal's Agent said he would like to play for the Cubs... No one wants to play for the world champions but all the Free Agents would love to play infront of a packed house on the north side! I'm guessing that's because all you have to do while you're there as a player is pick up your paycheck and try an play around 90+ games, and you don't even have to try hard in those.
Of course his "Agent said" that, and he also wouldn't mind playing for NY either. The agent has to spin it so the biggest spenders are "in play". The Sox have not proven to be big spenders yet, so throwing their name in the mix is not going to affect the market as much as other teams' names.

soxfanatlanta
11-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Why must PK's dad fan the fires?

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Brb6elmTAXgJ:http://www.youngmanridge.com/pop/movies/dotd/walterREAL.jpg

You are out of you league, Hank!!!

All kidding aside, Matsui would be a nice backup plan, no?

SouthSoxFan
11-08-2005, 12:09 PM
The Yankees are in negotiations now with Matsui, and will most likely get a deal done. Word is they want to pay him $31.5mm for 3 years, and that he is looking for 4 years, perhpas closer to the $44mm/4yrs that Ichiro has. If they are that close already, it will get done. Besides, do you really see the Sox paying $11mm/yr for Matsui?

Frankly Missing
11-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Does anyone else remember the dog and pony show Thome made out of Cleveland in 2003?

He said he wanted to stay, so Cleveland upped their ante several times to top Phillies offer.

They played right into getting Thome a ridiculous contract with Phillie.

Just think of the bind Cleveland would be in now if he had accepted.

I'm feel sure KW won't make the same mistake, he seems like the type who has a $$ amount/length of contract in mind, take it or leave it.

White Sox fans and the franchise SUFFERED with PK during the lean times, is their anything in this day and age that can override the almighty dollar?

Realist
11-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Why must PK's dad fan the fires?

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Brb6elmTAXgJ:http://www.youngmanridge.com/pop/movies/dotd/walterREAL.jpg

You are out of you league, Hank!!!

It's the Cubune that is fanning the fires. Old Boy made that quote a month ago.

http://www.sem40.ru/arts/img/big_lebowski2.jpg

"Mark it zero."

ChiSoxKB83
11-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Paul's dad has said a lot of things. Curious to know whether or not those comments were made before the Sox won the WS and before Mr. Konerko was on the field celebrating with the team and hugging JR. Anyone else remember that on comcast postgame show?

Realist
11-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Paul's dad has said a lot of things. Curious to know whether or not those comments were made before the Sox won the WS and before Mr. Konerko was on the field celebrating with the team and hugging JR. Anyone else remember that on comcast postgame show?

The first time I heard mention of it was after the Sox won the American League Pennant, but that's not saying much because I refuse to read the Sun-Times [home of The Moron] or the Cubune.

TDog
11-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Even if Konerko was willing to give the Sox a "home team discount," he wouldn't let the Sox know that during the negotiation process. No one wants their employer to take advantage of them. Unfortunately, for many of us it just works out that way.

The team is bigger than Konerko. I love him on the Sox, but the Sox could replace the tangibles he provides. The Sox know that and Konerko knows that. I wouldn't call it a discount, but all things being equal, you would have to think Konerko's first choice would be the Sox, playing as an important part of a strong team where he holds an established place, as opposed to moving to a team where the fans would expect more from him than he could deliver. Sox fans would forgive him a slow start. He has never done anything for Angels fans. If he is publicized as getting Guerrero money, fans could perceive him as a drain on the team's finances. We all know Sox fans have in past years.

Still, if I were an in-demand heavy hitter, the Padres, Angels and Diamondbacks would be among my top choices of teams to play for, especially if I were offered a contract that set me up for life.

If the Sox didn't want me. But maybe that's just me.

Tekijawa
11-08-2005, 12:27 PM
is their anything in this day and age that can override the almighty dollar?

Yes!
:messica

I'm pretty sure I could EASILY drive in 100 and hit 40 dongs if The Sox could lock me in a 5 year contract with Jessica!

lostletters
11-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Matsui would make a very good DH and for his numbers his price is right.
Yes Matsui's defense is awful, but the White Sox do not need quality defense from what would be essentially a very part time outfielder. Plus I think he would fit fairly well on a team that embraces an internation attitude.

Paul may walk, but if we get Matsui's bat to replace it and place Gload (or Dye) at first I am not sure if we would be losing much.

mdep524
11-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Papa Konerko's quote is old news and it's irrelevant. It was interesting to see Rogers mention Matsui, boy, what a DH he would be! If there's interest there, the Sox would be fools to not investigate.

soxfan26
11-08-2005, 12:31 PM
The team is bigger than Konerko.

:thumbsup: Absolutely and if all we read about the 'team first' attitude this season is true then Paul of all people should understand this.

It's Time
11-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Per Bruce Levineline, the White Sox will offer Konerko a 4 year deal at around 50-52 million. They will not go higher then 4 years. At almost 13 million per year, the only problem is going to be that 5th year that the White Sox are not going to offer.

5 years is a lot of years, especially when you consider Konerko is not a "young" player. Would I give him the extra year? Probably but I'm not running the team. I do feel Konerko has earned it after what he did this past season.

TheOldRoman
11-08-2005, 12:39 PM
I don't think it's a problem yet. Remember, he made this comment probably a month ago, and we dont know what context it was in. The Cubune is doing what they do best - digging up crap and trying to portray the Sox in a negative light. So far Konerko's dad isn't pulling an Archie Manning.

oeo
11-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Per Bruce Levineline, the White Sox will offer Konerko a 4 year deal at around 50-52 million. They will not go higher then 4 years. At almost 13 million per year, the only problem is going to be that 5th year that the White Sox are not going to offer.

5 years is a lot of years, especially when you consider Konerko is not a "young" player. Would I give him the extra year? Probably but I'm not running the team. I do feel Konerko has earned it after what he did this past season.

I believe what Bruce Levine says...

Chicken Dinner
11-08-2005, 12:47 PM

What did his dad say about that offer?????

Lip Man 1
11-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Why are folks getting upset over an old comment? Seems to me that as I watched Uncle Jerry and Paul's father meet on the field when Pat Boyle was interviewing Jerry for Comcast Sports' post game material the two got along fine.

It's called posturing folks...it's an accepted part of contract negotiations.

Nothing to see here...move along.

Lip

Frankly Missing
11-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Earth to GMS!

The steroid era is over, I wouldn't give any player more than a 3 year deal, unless Albert Pujols has a 21 year old brother.

mdep524
11-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Why are folks getting upset over an old comment? Seems to me that as I watched Uncle Jerry and Paul's father meet on the field when Pat Boyle was interviewing Jerry for Comcast Sports' post game material the two got along fine.

It's called posturing folks...it's an accepted part of contract negotiations.

Nothing to see here...move along.

Lip Yeah, I don't know why people are getting worked up over this.

The Matsui tidbit is far more interesting. Given his RBI prowess, he might be a better #5 hitter than the #3 hitter the Sox need. Still, plugging him into the DH/OF rotation would we terrific, and it would probably allow Frank to return as part time DH as well. In that scenario, Matsui would essentially be replacing Everett in the June-July 2005 Sox model, except Matsui is better and slightly more versatile.

Sox35th
11-08-2005, 01:16 PM
I think Paulies old man needs to shut his month!! (Dose he think he is Archie Manning?) Paulie is a big boy now...... I think he can make is own decisions. I also agree that the Sox paid PK very well for his poor years in the past!! Paulie is a “good” player…..a hitter that will still go into his 2-22 slumps next year and bat 245-260 at some points. He will never bat 300 (batting over 300 makes a good player a great player)

I like Paulie….I think he plays a great first base…..he’s great in the club house…..he was the main reason why the Sox won in the playoffs…..he’s a fan favorite……and he loves the game.

I hope the Sox can work out a deal…….If not lets go after Matsui (I think he would be a great fit to the Sox)

I looks at it this way…..If PK signs with the LA (For big money) he better be ready to play hard and hope can stay out of his 2-22 slumps and the 240avg.. Going to another team, getting paid big with a long-term deal will bring much pressure!! Here in Chitown we all know about PK and how he gets into his slumps. I know all players out into slumps, but I think the fans in LA are planning to see a 300-310 hitter…..PK is not that man. Big money brings big hopes!!

So, my number one question is……. what is PK worth? How many years should he get?

34 Inch Stick
11-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Yes!
:messica

I'm pretty sure I could EASILY drive in 100 and hit 40 dongs if The Sox could lock me in a 5 year contract with Jessica!

He said dong!

antitwins13
11-08-2005, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Masui come to the Sox.

34 Inch Stick
11-08-2005, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=Frankly Missing]I'm feel sure KW won't make the same mistake, he seems like the type who has a $$ amount/length of contract in mind, take it or leave it.

QUOTE]

Since being burned by Boras in the past KW has seemed to negotiate by setting an internal value to a player and never reaching beyond that value (this is in effect what KW said last year when discussing the Sox bidding on Boras clients). If the market moves quickly beyond the internal value the Sox pull out as a prospect. If the Sox are the only team in the market, they refuse to negotiate against themselves. They take a hard line and let the player sweat out trying to find takers at a higher amount (as seen in both the Iguichi, Pierzinski and to a lesser extent Dye negotiations last year). This fiscal restraint is exactly what the Sox need. Unfortunately, I think it will work to their detriment with PK.

Paulwny
11-08-2005, 01:47 PM
I read a few weeks ago that Matsui was going to consult with his father before he made any decisions. When I read this I thought it may be a cultural thing , but I guess not.

nccwsfan
11-08-2005, 02:09 PM

IIRC these comments were made right before the end of the ALCS. I do remember the postgame celebration and everything looked fine between Jerry & PK's Dad.

Deuce
11-08-2005, 02:10 PM
What did his dad say about that offer?????Aaaaahhhhhh!!!!! My eyes!!!!!!

:tealpolice:

IowaSox1971
11-08-2005, 03:18 PM
If Konerko leaves, he leaves. Think about the .234 season he had two years ago. It could happen again. Think about all of the double plays he has hit into over the years and how slow he is on the bases. Konerko is a very good hitter, and it would be nice to keep him, but at what cost? If we pay one player a ridiculous amount, it could have a negative effect on team unity.

Konerko had an outstanding season in 2005, and he deserves a lot of credit for it. But keep in mind that it was his contract year. Next year, he will not have as much motivation to produce. I could easily see him dropping to something like .265, 30 homers and 80 RBIs. Those are not bad numbers, but when you factor in the percentage of our payroll that he would be taking up, it probably would not be worth the cost.

People forget how bad Konerko's season was in 2003 (.234, 18 homers, 65 RBIs). If he had hit just .260 with 25 homers and 85 RBIs that year, we probably would have won the division. When a key guy in your lineup has such a horrible year, it really hurts your team. So, he hasn't always had a positive impact on our lineup.

I'm not saying Konerko is a bad guy for going into free agency. He has earned the right to do so, and he should take the offer he feels most comfortable with. If he wants to play for the Angels and be close to home, then that's his right, and there's not much we can do about it. If he goes to another team because we refuse to get involved in a bidding war, then that's fine, too. If we vastly overpay one guy on our team, then other players are going to become disgruntled, and we definitely don't need that.

tstrike2000
11-08-2005, 03:28 PM
I know it didn't cause a big problem, but I'm just confused as to why anything needed to be said in the first place. This is especially the case during playoff time. It's like when you hear players wanting to renegotiate their contracts during the season. It's just much nicer if the family members can keep things to themselves and completely leave things between the player, his family, his agent, and the team.

Optipessimism
11-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Matsui or Konerko?? Matsui!!! Then KW can trade for Delgado too...

R Pods CF
R Iguchi 2B
L Delgado 1B
R Thomas DH
L Matsui LF
R Dye RF
L Pierzynski C
R Crede 3B
R Uribe SS

on top of Contreras-Buehrle-Garland-Garcia-McCarthy

Sick, sick, sick, sick, sick!!!!!!

palehozenychicty
11-08-2005, 04:18 PM
To be real, I'd take Matsui and Delgado over Konerko/Thomas anyday. I think the Sox should go after Thome as well. Philly wants to move him badly. Hold them at gunpoint on eating salary.

Tekijawa
11-08-2005, 04:47 PM
To be real, I'd take Matsui and Delgado over Konerko/Thomas anyday. I think the Sox should go after Thome as well. Philly wants to move him badly. Hold them at gunpoint on eating salary.

I heard New York Hates AROD too, Uribe is good but we could use an upgrade... And what about Manny Ramirez if we get all their former teams to eat about 75% of their contracts and Jerry ups the payroll to $125 million we could have a pretty sweet team!

Optipessimism
11-08-2005, 04:52 PM
I heard New York Hates AROD too, Uribe is good but we could use an upgrade... And what about Manny Ramirez if we get all their former teams to eat about 75% of their contracts and Jerry ups the payroll to $125 million we could have a pretty sweet team!

Delgado+Matsui should be something like $25M/yr compared to Thomas+Konerko at about $20-21M/yr. I'd think that extra $4-5M would make for a huge upgrade, although I doubt it would happen though. Thome on top?? Man, we're not the Yanks!

Ol' No. 2
11-08-2005, 05:36 PM
Delgado+Matsui should be something like $25M/yr compared to Thomas+Konerko at about $20-21M/yr. I'd think that extra $4-5M would make for a huge upgrade, although I doubt it would happen though. Thome on top?? Man, we're not the Yanks!:o::o::o:

Only if Konerko talks KW into an $18M contract.

oeo
11-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Matsui or Konerko?? Matsui!!! Then KW can trade for Delgado too...

R Pods CF
R Iguchi 2B
L Delgado 1B
R Thomas DH
L Matsui LF
R Dye RF
L Pierzynski C
R Crede 3B
R Uribe SS

on top of Contreras-Buehrle-Garland-Garcia-McCarthy

Sick, sick, sick, sick, sick!!!!!!

That literally is a sick (puking) defensive outfield. Remember, pitching and defense won the championship...our outfield defense would take a big hit. Even with Scotty's speed, I don't see him tracking down as many balls as Rowand (his games in center weren't very good) and Matsui's defense is anything but spectacular.

LongLiveFisk
11-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Man, we're not the Yanks!

You're right..we're the World Champions!! :cool:

DickAllen72
11-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Even if the Sox resign Paulie, we still need a DH. Matsui would be perfect, and the Sox have enough money to sign both. If Matsui is still available after the 15th, the Sox should do their best to get him.

Optipessimism
11-08-2005, 07:58 PM
:o::o::o:

Only if Konerko talks KW into an $18M contract.

Konerko will get 13-14 in his first year. Frank is already getting 3.5 plus incentives if he signs which I would think would bring him up to possibly 7M total per season if not more. That's 20-21M.

Optipessimism
11-08-2005, 08:02 PM
That literally is a sick (puking) defensive outfield. Remember, pitching and defense won the championship...our outfield defense would take a big hit. Even with Scotty's speed, I don't see him tracking down as many balls as Rowand (his games in center weren't very good) and Matsui's defense is anything but spectacular.

Isn't that a little bit of an exaggeration? It would be certainly better than the 2003 Sox OF which nobody said was terrible. Matsui could cover LF no problem (he looked bad this year because he played CF for a good portion of it) and Scotty has played CF before and wouldn't be terrible either. Anything to take Rowand out of the lineup works for me.

Sure the overall OF defense would suffer a bit, but our lineup would be scary as hell.

Chips
11-08-2005, 08:11 PM

I wouldn't take anything Levineline has to say too seriously. Paulie is only 29, that is not that old for a ballplayer, 5 years should not be the problem. He can easily move into the DH spot for the 4th and 5th years of the contract if need be, and he will only be 34. That is not old.

Palehose13
11-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Even if the Sox resign Paulie, we still need a DH. Matsui would be perfect, and the Sox have enough money to sign both. If Matsui is still available after the 15th, the Sox should do their best to get him.

I'm all about this plan. I love Frank, but I don't see him being a full time player next year.

DickAllen72
11-08-2005, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't take anything Levineline has to say too seriously. Paulie is only 29, that is not that old for a ballplayer, 5 years should not be the problem. He can easily move into the DH spot for the 4th and 5th years of the contract if need be, and he will only be 34. That is not old.

Usually around the age of 34 a ball player loses a step or two. Since Paulie never relied on any type of speed in any facet of his game, this should not be a problem.

Unless Paulie's hip problem is degenerative, I don't have a problem with offering him five years, if that will be the only sticking point in his contract.

Having said that, although I certainly would like to have Paulie sign with the Sox, I can't see paying him what some people are suggesting. $12M per year is the absolute maximum I would pay him. Guarantee that for 4 years, and give him a $12M option fifth year, but the Sox should have a buyout option in case he is no longer producing after the fourth year. If someone wants to offer him something substantially more than that (which I doubt), they can have him.