PDA

View Full Version : Levine Sox news at 8:40?

Palehose13
11-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Hey all-

I was driving to work this morning and heard Jonathon Hood say that Levine had some news fron Palm Springs at 8:40. Well, my class starts at 8:25, so I was unable to hear Bruce's inside news. Did anyone get to hear it? I'm assuming that it's really nothing cause it didn't hit the clubhouse yet.

TomSkilling
11-08-2005, 10:59 AM
I heard it and he really didn't say much that we don't already know.

He talked to KW and they're prepared to offer Paul between 12-13 mil over 5 years.... that's about it

Tekijawa
11-08-2005, 11:03 AM

He talked to KW and they're prepared to offer Paul between 12-13 mil over 5 years.... that's about it

That's Not even 3 million a Year!!! COME ON JERRY OPEN UP YOUR WALLET!

Palehose13
11-08-2005, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the update. Actually, the fact that the Sox may be willing to go 5 years is encouraging considering the previous reports that the problem (between Konerko and the Sox) may be that the Sox will offer 4 years and stay with that while Konerko wants 5.

TomSkilling
11-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Hey I was wrong before -

Bruce just said on silvy and carmen that it will be a 4 year offer - and NO MORE than 4. He said they're looking at starting around $12 mil per year and it will probably end up around $52 mil over 4 years in the end.

Yeah I was thinking that 5 years would be what it takes to keep Paulie as well....we'll see if anyone else offers more than 4 since Paulie is gonna test out the market.

Tekijawa
11-08-2005, 12:44 PM
He could play for free that 5th year and still make more than 10 million a season! Not to mention that I don't think Levine has been right once in regards to the White Sox this year... I wouldn't be supprised if Konerko agreed to a 5 year 48 million dollar contract this afternoon.

mdep524
11-08-2005, 01:03 PM
I'd consider giving Paulie a 5-year deal IF he accepts a lower annual salary. That would give the team more payroll flexibility for '06 and would make Paulie more tradeable down the line several years from now (if that becomes a good option for the Sox).

Hitmen77
11-08-2005, 01:39 PM
I find it hard to believe that KW is telling any reporter how much/how many years the Sox are willing to offer Konerko.

bobowhite
11-08-2005, 01:40 PM
I'd consider giving Paulie a 5-year deal IF he accepts a lower annual salary. That would give the team more payroll flexibility for '06 and would make Paulie more tradeable down the line several years from now (if that becomes a good option for the Sox).

I'd give PK a five year deal right now with:
a) three years guarenteed at $13 million
b) years four and five at a $10 million base
c) plus year 4 and 5 incentives of roughly
$1 million at each of three plateaus
i) 10 hr, 25 rbis or 150 AB
ii) 20 hr, 50 rbis, 200 ABs (two of three)
iii) 25 hr, 70 rbis and 300 ABs

All very reachable numbers and should he continue as even a pale shadow of himself, he'd be making star type money.

Palehose13
11-08-2005, 01:41 PM
I find it hard to believe that KW is telling any reporter how much/how many years the Sox are willing to offer Konerko.
I agree with you, especially Levine. I just wanted to see what his Sox "tidbit" was since he's ga-ga over Nefi Perez and the possibility of Furcal.

I did listen on my way to lunch and he did say something that KW made some statement yesterday (?) about being ready to offer PK the largest contract in Sox history. Are there any other reports about KW saying that?

Palehose13
11-08-2005, 01:43 PM

All very reachable numbers and should he continue as even a pale shadow of himself, he'd be making star type money.

I don't know if those plateaus are allowed to be incentives.

I'd give him year 5 if the team had a buyout option.

oeo
11-08-2005, 01:43 PM

Yeah, especially Levine...has this guy ever been right lately? He probably had a dream about this last night and now he's telling everyone what he saw.

Deuce
11-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Is this the reason there were almost 900 people on the board this morning? New record, at that.

Deuce

mdep524
11-08-2005, 04:16 PM

All very reachable numbers and should he continue as even a pale shadow of himself, he'd be making star type money. I don't think those stats can be legally built into a contract, and I don't think Paulie is going to settle for incentives anyway- he'll get a guaranteed contract. Plus, I would rather his salary go up over the length of the contract than go down, giving the team more payroll flexibility for next season (then as payroll increases over time, Paulie's contract does as well)

If Paulie would sign a deal like this, I'd sign him right away:

Year 1: $11 mil
Year 2: $11.5 mil
Year 3: $12 mil
Year 4: $12.5 mil
Year 5: $13 mil, possible club buy out?

5 years, $60 million. If he thinks the annual salary is too low, then he can get a 4-year deal. He'd have to decide which is more important to him- big annual salary or a guaranteed 5th year.

Ol' No. 2
11-08-2005, 04:24 PM
I don't think those stats can be legally built into a contract, and I don't think Paulie is going to settle for incentives anyway- he'll get a guaranteed contract. Plus, I would rather his salary go up over the length of the contract than go down, giving the team more payroll flexibility for next season (then as payroll increases over time, Paulie's contract does as well)

If Paulie would sign a deal like this, I'd sign him right away:

Year 1: $11 mil
Year 2: $11.5 mil
Year 3: $12 mil
Year 4: $12.5 mil
Year 5: $13 mil, possible club buy out?

5 years, $60 million. If he thinks the annual salary is too low, then he can get a 4-year deal. He'd have to decide which is more important to him- big annual salary or a guaranteed 5th year.I agree. I'd even go as high as $65M total if it was mostly in the back end. By 2010, $14M isn't going to sound nearly as high as it does today.