PDA

View Full Version : Are the Sox not ours' anymore?

mike squires
11-08-2005, 12:29 AM
OK, I used to be 21 and used to get this magazine called huH in the mail and it came with a CD. I heard this song called "Too Far Apart" by a band called Wilco. I liked it a lot so bought their CD called A.M. Liked it and heard he used to be in a band called Uncle Tupelo. So I bought all their stuff. I saw them play at a place called Mabels in Champaigin. It was a decent crowd but it as far from packed. I followed them and bought every CD they released. I'm 32 now and still love them, but so do a lot of other people. One day when tickets went on sale at the Assembly hall, I walked in and saw a line that stretched clear around the hallway. I could not believe it. I was still able to get tix but I was in the balcony. The have come out with 2 books, a DVD documentary and a live CD is coming out this month.

If you haven't guessed it by now, this story is an analogy for our WhiteSox. For as much as I love the attention the Sox have recieved, the lower bowl selling out for season tix etc. etc. Do we want our Sox to be this big. I liked the assurance of walking up to the box office, picking up my ticket and knowing my place to shag foul balls would always be open...IT WAS MY SPOT, IT WAS MINE...I'm afraid it won't be like that anymore.

I'll feel better when I find out it was true die hards that got those tickets and the place will be rocking all summer. I'll feel worse when I only go to one game a year and I'm in the last row of the upper deck.

Don't get me wrong guys. I still love Wilco and I am the biggest Sox fan you'll see. Simply, I'll have to share both of them with other people.:whiner:

IlliniSox4Life
11-08-2005, 12:36 AM
I'll be more than glad to share the park with an extra 10k fans if it means sharing the trophy too.

antitwins13
11-08-2005, 01:31 AM
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from, but I think the atmosphere at the ballpark will be more fun if the Sox can sell the place out.

nccwsfan
11-08-2005, 06:36 AM
For as many people who get upset at the coverage of other teams (1908's, Yankees, Red Sox), getting a little love isn't so bad. You'll be able to spot the longtime fans from the johnny-come-lately's anyway.

It should be an electric season at the Cell in 2006!

SaltyPretzel
11-08-2005, 06:53 AM
The way I look at it is more $ for better players.

soxfanatlanta
11-08-2005, 07:54 AM
The price of winning I guess.

Mike Squires, I feel your pain about the lost seats, I used to have a sweet gig at Turner field (3rd base side, under the Panasonic sign), but the prices soared out of my league, and I had to let them go. But I still will go to the games, and bring my son, when he is old enough. And I am sure you will go to your games too. The beer will still be cold, and the churros will still taste great.

Hitmen77
11-08-2005, 07:57 AM
I'm not worried at all. I'm looking forward to the Sox taking back some more of the Chicago market share. This title will hook in more kids to become Sox fans (think of all the people who say they became a Sox fan in '83) and will get people who previously never came to the Cell because they bought into the lies about dangerous neighborhood and terrible ballpark - and those people will be very impressed.

Don't worry, The Cell isn't going to turn into another Wrigley Field that is full of assclowns who are just there to be there.

hold2dibber
11-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Although there is something to be said for being able to go to the ballpark and get good seats and not have to wait in lines, etc., I imagine '06 will be similar in many respects to the first few years at the new park, when they were drawing well over 2 million fans/year. In those years, the park was packed, I ended up in the upper deck probably 75% of the time and the lines were pretty long. But the place rocked, there was some electricity in the air and it was a hell of a lot of fun. And hopefully the extra revenue will allow the team to become a perennial contender and make the South Side a destination again for top-tier players (remember when guys like Clemens, McGuire, Belle, etc. actually wanted to play for the Sox)? If that happens, I have a lot more faith that Williams will be able to sustain it, unlike Schuller, who (with some help from the strike) urinated it all away.

Hitmen77
11-08-2005, 09:03 AM
Although there is something to be said for being able to go to the ballpark and get good seats and not have to wait in lines, etc., I imagine '06 will be similar in many respects to the first few years at the new park, when they were drawing well over 2 million fans/year. In those years, the park was packed, I ended up in the upper deck probably 75% of the time and the lines were pretty long. But the place rocked, there was some electricity in the air and it was a hell of a lot of fun. ....

I'm hoping that the crowds will be more energetic than those early 90s crowds. In those days we had big crowds, but it seemed like too many people were there to check out the new park. I remember many times gritting my teeth as the crowd was repeatedly doing the wave. LAME! There were even instances of the wave going on while the Sox were in scoring position! :rolleyes:

I expect the crowds to be MUCH BETTER this time around.

elrod
11-08-2005, 09:27 AM
I was an Uncle Tupelo fan from 1990. No Depression was the best damn album I'd ever heard in the early 1990s (other than GP/Grievous Angel, Exile on Main Street and Replacements' Hootenany). I saw them live in Edinburgh, Scotland on their Anodyne tour in 1993. If you like that kind of music, and you're annoyed at all the over-exposure of Wilco, then check out the bands at Bloodshot Records. Waco Brothers, Neko Case, Robbie Fulks, etc. And Bloodshot Records is located here in Chicago.

Realist
11-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm still grinning ear to ear over the fact that I'm a long time fan of the 2005 Chicago White Sox World Champions, but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for those days of yesteryear when there would be 18,000 rabid fans at Sox Park that were hanging and living or dying on each pitch. We were a very special group, and I really appreciate the fact that the team as well as the entire White Sox organization seemed to go out of its way to thank us and include our very important contributors to their recent enormous accomplishment. Those days have now passed and now we all have to live with and deal with the dawning of this new era as Chicago White Sox fans.

We're probably going to be standing in long lines for the washrooms, Polish sausage, and our sacred churros. With a little luck and little Kenny Willams/Ozzie Guillen magic, these long lines will be with us for at least a decade. I don't know about you folks, but, the word "Dynasty" just rolls off my tongue. Let's cross our fingers and see what happens. If what we wish to happen snowballs with what has already gloriously happened, the bandwagon is going to continue to grow and test the old wagon wheels.

We old timers know who we are and we'll always recognize each other after just a few minute of White Sox talk. The Sox will always be our team and we can take solace in the fact that they were our team long before 2005, but the newest Sox fans should be welcomed with open arms. After all, we all jumped on the bandwagon at sometime. For me it was 1977 when I was twelve years old and the South Side Hitmen were dazzling the city.

MadetoOrta
11-08-2005, 10:20 AM
I agree with much of the sentiment here. JR has repeatedly stated that Sox fans will come when there's a winner. I have no problem sharing the park with 40,000 others so long as it's electric. I went to a game in July against Oakland [lost to Zito, PK left about 6 guys on base], there were 39,000 and the place was loud. Defending our title, I think, will make the 39,000 that more rabid. If it means annually contending, more pennants, World Series titles, no sweat. I love what Ozzie said in Venezuela [which I though would be a thread by now] "I have 9 more fingers to fill with World Series rings." To that, I say :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: YES!

Realist
11-08-2005, 10:39 AM
I love what Ozzie said in Venezuela [which I though would be a thread by now] "I have 9 more fingers to fill with World Series rings." To that, I say :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: YES!

I like the cut of that keed's jib.

:moonwalk:

skottyj242
11-08-2005, 11:15 AM
I never "jumped on the bandwagon" at any time in my life unless you count birth.

mdep524
11-08-2005, 11:38 AM
OK, I used to be 21 and used to get this magazine called huH in the mail and it came with a CD. I heard this song called "Too Far Apart" by a band called Wilco. I liked it a lot so bought their CD called A.M. Liked it and heard he used to be in a band called Uncle Tupelo. So I bought all their stuff. I saw them play at a place called Mabels in Champaigin. It was a decent crowd but it as far from packed. I followed them and bought every CD they released. I'm 32 now and still love them, but so do a lot of other people. One day when tickets went on sale at the Assembly hall, I walked in and saw a line that stretched clear around the hallway. I could not believe it. I was still able to get tix but I was in the balcony. The have come out with 2 books, a DVD documentary and a live CD is coming out this month.

If you haven't guessed it by now, this story is an analogy for our WhiteSox. For as much as I love the attention the Sox have recieved, the lower bowl selling out for season tix etc. etc. Do we want our Sox to be this big. I liked the assurance of walking up to the box office, picking up my ticket and knowing my place to shag foul balls would always be open...IT WAS MY SPOT, IT WAS MINE...I'm afraid it won't be like that anymore.

I'll feel better when I find out it was true die hards that got those tickets and the place will be rocking all summer. I'll feel worse when I only go to one game a year and I'm in the last row of the upper deck.

Don't get me wrong guys. I still love Wilco and I am the biggest Sox fan you'll see. Simply, I'll have to share both of them with other people.:whiner: :cheers: for bringing up Wilco, my fellow Via Chicago comrade! (and "Too Far Apart"-- a very underrated song). I remember when Yankee Hotel Foxtrot came out, how we lost Wilco a little to the cool indie kids. I was a fan of Wilco before they were "popular," just as I was a Sox fan before it was trendy, if indeed it is trendy now. There's nothing we can do about it except be happy for our favorite team's/band's success. :gulp:

doogiec
11-08-2005, 11:41 AM
For years I've been listening to Cubs fans go on and on about how wonderful it is that Wrigley Field is sold out virtually every game. And I've never understood why the fans consider that to be a great thing for the fans (I certainly understand why the Cubs/Trib Co considers that a great thing).

Why would fans rather pay inflated prices to scalpers? I like being able to buy tickets at face price from the team. Why would fans prefer being surrounded by loads of casual fans and out of towners? I prefer 20,000 real fans to the casual fans any time. Why would fans want to miss two innings just to hit the bathroom or get something to eat or drink? I'd rather be able to do either between innings and not miss a pitch. And being able to zip into the parking lot next to the park 15 minutes early and zip right back onto the expressway after the game isn't all that bad either.

This comes with the territory, a minor price to pay for the World Series title. A price that I'd gladly pay any season. But we are about to experience the same thing that Cubs fans have been bragging about for years, and I suspect that everything they claim is great (scalpers, long lines, traffic) might actually suck.

fquaye149
11-08-2005, 11:45 AM

Don't get me wrong guys. I still love Wilco and I am the biggest Sox fan you'll see. Simply, I'll have to share both of them with other people.:whiner:

Ask me how I feel about Modest Mouse.

That's it - I'm officially a Brewers fan...better yet, I'll like the Seattle Pilots - they can't possibly become popular:cool:

fquaye149
11-08-2005, 11:46 AM
:cheers: for bringing up Wilco, my fellow Via Chicago comrade! (and "Too Far Apart"-- a very underrated song). I remember when Yankee Hotel Foxtrot came out, how we lost Wilco a little to the cool indie kids. I was a fan of Wilco before they were "popular," just as I was a Sox fan before it was trendy, if indeed it is trendy now. There's nothing we can do about it except be happy for our favorite team's/band's success. :gulp:

the cool indie kids were into Wilco circa Summer Teeth. It was the hipster dipsters who jumped on the YHFtrot

Sad
11-08-2005, 11:52 AM
the cool indie kids were into Wilco circa Summer Teeth. It was the hipster dipsters who jumped on the YHFtrot

HUH?:?:

nlentz88
11-08-2005, 01:35 PM
This comes with the territory, a minor price to pay for the World Series title. A price that I'd gladly pay any season. But we are about to experience the same thing that Cubs fans have been bragging about for years, and I suspect that everything they claim is great (scalpers, long lines, traffic) might actually suck.

Well said. That's a pretty good prediction. But for some reason, I can't help but wonder if this new enthusiasm for the team will die a quick death. If the Sox don't field a winning team next year, I suspect we'll see a steep drop in season ticket numbers and overall attendance in 2007. Obviously, I hope this is not the case. There certainly are some special comforts to attending a low-attendance game, but we all are probably watching the team for one reason: we want to see them win. And if that means sharing the stadium with a bunch of band wagon jumpers and casual fans, then so be it. But let's not count our chickens before they're hatched. It's quite possible that this spike in season ticket purchases and attendance are a temporary phenomena resulting from the World Series win, and might be gone sooner than anyone expects.

DSpivack
11-08-2005, 11:57 PM
For years it seemed that the White Sox said to me, "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart." But, A Ghost Was Born and we won the series!

mike squires
11-09-2005, 12:06 AM
For years it seemed that the White Sox said to me, "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart." But, A Ghost Was Born and we won the series!

One thing if for sure, "Someday Soon" has finally arrived and the WhiteSox? Yep, "I'm Always in Love!" :)

jabrch
11-09-2005, 12:07 AM
I hear Mabel's is no more. That's a shame - I saw some AMAZING acts there before they became big.

mike squires
11-09-2005, 12:18 AM
Mabel's was a cool place to see a show. IT was small, dirty but intimate. I think it's a Chinese eats place now. If you said Mabels to anyone going to college now, I'm guessing they would say, Huh? I didn't see a lot of big names but some damn good shows. 2 Wilco (lost my virginity after one.:cool: :redface: ) SunVolt, Great White, Ass Ponies, That band that sings "Indiana" Verve Pipe (Ok, that show sucked) Throwing Muses, The Sea and Cake to name a few.

Poppy, if you are reading this after giving the site to you that you requested...you should have stuck around! :D:

Knoxville Sox
11-09-2005, 12:51 AM
I know what that kind of loss can mean. After the University of Tennessee won the football title in '98, the corporate money took over. The working-class non-alumni who had helped build the program through their constant support were priced out of their seats. Indeed, several long-time fans who had their seats promised them were moved to make way for the big-time donors. I walked away. They had turned their backs on my folks and their neighbors. They no longer merited my support. I'm glad my Grandmother didn't see that happen. It would've killed her not to be able to afford going to games.

Just can't see the same influences corrupting the White Sox relationship with their core supporters. The relationship with the Southside to me is the foundation both of Sox survival and success. The White Sox have lived to thrive in a baseball world that swallowed up the Philadelphia A's, St. Louis Browns, and Boston Braves. They didn't have the strong ties to community to fall back on when the going got tough. God bless Comiskey. He had the foresight to tie his club into a community and a group of neighborhoods that would take the Sox in and fight for them. I think the current ownership understands that relationship and will work to maintain it even as they seek to promote the White Sox to those just getting into the game or those alienated by the complete stankfest that passes for baseball at the Urinal.

I think the new fans that will gravitate to the White Sox from outside Chicago will be those who actually take the time to learn about the club and its history. Lord knows the media will not spoon feed it to them as they do with the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, and Braves. Those who take the time to discover what makes this club and their long-term fans special will be drawn to it in a way the newborn Bostonians never can hope to match. This site will help them get there.

I'm someone who just happened along two seasons ago, found WSI, took the time to learn about the club, its fans and its history, and in the process rediscovered everything I loved about the game pre-1994.

HotelWhiteSox
11-09-2005, 01:51 AM
It comes with the territory, I'd obviously rather have a winner. I did, however, never complain about the # of people that used to go to the games. If there weren't a lot of people, I like the closer parking, shorter bathroom trips, etc. If it's a packed house, it's a nice atmosphere. The biggest bitch will come with getting tickets. It's great if there's new fans, but blows if a lot of brokers are the ones requesting season ticket information

SoxFan76
11-09-2005, 01:53 AM
I know Cub fans always brag about the A-word, but it's a commonly known fact that 28,000 Sox fans are much louder than 38,000 Cub fans. 38,000 Sox fans night after night could make for some good times at the ol ballpark.

mdep524
11-09-2005, 02:00 AM
For years it seemed that the White Sox said to me, "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart." But, A Ghost Was Born and we won the series! LOL. Yup. I remember SoxFest 2004, when a World Series seemed Far, Far Away (and even a division crown seemed like Wishful Thinking). Then, during the Q&A, many frustrated fans screamed "I'd like to thank you all for nothing, I'd like to thank you all for nothing at all. I'd like to thank you all for nothing! Nothing! Nothing! Nothing at all!" to JR and Co., who's theme song and rallying cry, obviously, was "Poor Places."

Of course management blaming the fans for not putting money into the team was a bit of a Pot Kettle Black situation, and next season when contract talks with Maggs were way Too Far Apart and he became Outta Site (Outta Mind) things seemed bleak. Luckily, Ken Williams' new recruits ended up being just the Shot in the Arm the team needed to, for the first time in 88 years, bring home a World Series, Via Chicago.

:)

mike squires
11-09-2005, 07:12 AM
Man the season just ended but I want April to get here so bad that I Can't Stand It. With out baseball I feel so alone that I Can't Stand IT. What's the World Got in Store for the Sox? I guess we'll find out In a Future Age.

Non Wilco fans are scratching their heads right now.

Sox&Springsteen
11-09-2005, 07:17 AM
I but it's a commonly known fact that 28,000 Sox fans are much louder than 38,000 Cub fans. .
Not only that, but, since Sox fans actually pay attention to what's happening on the field, they, in contrast to so many of their Northside counterparts, know how to cheer at the right times. :D: :D:

38,000 Sox fans night after night could make for some good times at the ol ballpark.
You can't beat fun at the old ballpark!