PDA

View Full Version : KW gets screwed outta Executive of the Year

JermaineDye05
11-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Sporting news names Mark Shapiro as exec of the year as voted, Kenny got 2nd with John Schuerholz getting 3rd in the voting

SoxSpeed22
11-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Does anybody else find it ridiculous that Cleveland is getting a ton of praise for this year? Yet in a retrospect, they didn't accomplish a damn thing.
Once again...lost the battle, won the war.

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-07-2005, 09:51 PM
:?:
What moves other than Millwood did Shapiro make that were so amazing? Jose Hernandez, Juan Gonzalez, Arthur Rhodes....oooookay...:rolleyes:

JimH
11-07-2005, 09:52 PM
My goodness, wow.

Normally I don't care about stuff like this and I suspect Williams doesn't either. But this franchise totally retooled the team, rebuilt it on the fly, didn't have a mega payroll, and won the World Series.

How Shapiro wins over Williams is completely baffling.

ilsox7
11-07-2005, 09:53 PM
There's only one post season award that matters and KW got it.

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-07-2005, 09:55 PM
My goodness, wow.

Normally I don't care about stuff like this and I suspect Williams doesn't either. But this franchise totally retooled the team, rebuilt it on the fly, didn't have a mega payroll, and won the World Series.

How Shapiro wins over Williams is completely baffling.
I just read the article about Shapiro winning the award and it praises him for having guys such as Coco Crisp, Travis Hafner, and Grady Sizemore. I didn't know they determined the yearly award based on pickups that were made in previous seasons. Oh well, you're definitely right about it being meaningless compared to what Kenny and the rest of the White Sox won.

TheOldRoman
11-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Well, I believe this is like manager of the year. Sporting News has their own meaningless version, and baseball has an official version.

Either way, this is a ****ing joke. Shapiro did jack squat this past offseason other than sign Millwood. He watched the team mature. How risky.

Ken Williams put his career on the line. He took a huge risk, and he certainly would have been fired had the Sox won 70 games like so many mediots predicted. He got nothing but snickering and ridicule from the press and baseball "insiders" during the offseason. It looks like the awards from Sporting News are as trivial as Gold Gloves.

antitwins13
11-07-2005, 10:02 PM
what a joke

MarySwiss
11-07-2005, 10:21 PM
The postseason awards insanity continues.

munchman33
11-07-2005, 10:21 PM
This is a slap in the face of the White Sox organization as well as Kenny Williams. I'd like a listing of everyone jackass mediot that voted against Kenny so I could give them a piece of my mind. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Edit: I just realized that this is not the official award. I guess this only shows how idiotic and useless the Sporting News has become.

MRKARNO
11-07-2005, 10:22 PM
:whocares

As far as I know BWAA has their own award and that's all that matters.

Tragg
11-07-2005, 10:23 PM
That is the most riidiculous thing I've ever read. A team that doesn't make the playoffs over a world champion.

I know it's meaningless, but this gets old. The Sox beat the living SNOT out of Cleveland. We treated them like they were the Royals. We single-handedly prevented them from participating in post-season, and we embarassed the hell out of them when our b team swept their baseball-prospectus paper-tiger on the last week of the season in their place.

FWIW, Williams' teams have finished ahead of the INdians 4 years in a row and counting (4 of Williams' 5 years on the job). The Indians were rebuilding? Well, the only players on the roster 2005 that were also on the roster when KW took over were Crede, MB, Frank and Konerko.

ilsox7
11-07-2005, 10:26 PM
This is a slap in the face of the White Sox organization as well as Kenny Williams. I'd like a listing of everyone jackass mediot that voted against Kenny so I could give them a piece of my mind. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I can guarantee you KW is sitting back and laughing, if he even knows about this. I mean, who really cares? Enjoy the championship, just as every in the White Sox organization is. I actually find it funny that so many people here are complaining profusely about these post season awards. I mean, who really cares?

Should KW have won? Sure, why not. Does it really matter? No way. The media is there to make money (a very sad fact of reality these days). They make money by getting people to read their stories. In order to get people to read stories, they often make controversy. Every time someone comes on WSI and posts a link to a crappy story or complains about a ****ty writer, the publication is getting exactly what they want: readers.

If you really want to make a mark, follow Voodoo's lead and boycott the publication. That is just about the ONLY way your voice will be heard.

JUribe1989
11-07-2005, 10:37 PM
The Indians accomplished as much as the Rockies, Devil Rays, Royals, Reds, Pirates, Dodgers, Mariners.....well you get the point. It's a joke that a team that accomplished absolutely nothing would get executive of the year. Plus, Shapiro is a complete dick. This guy was upset with the way Kenny Williams was acquiring players. I don't know what that means but I remember him saying it publicly in Cleveland newspapers. It was the day of the game where Buehrle hit Hafner in the face.

BeefyD
11-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Glad to see common sense prevailing. You think Kenny really cares about an award given from a media source who, like all other media sources, didn't think twice about the Sox winning?

No way. He's too busy getting his ring finger sized. :bandance:

Deuce
11-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Weak sauce, man. Weak sauce.

Just goes to show how meaningless these awards are.

Deuce

tstrike2000
11-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Yeah, Coco Crisp and Travis Hafner? The Sporting News is praising Shapiro for those moves? We lost Maggs, CLee, and essentially Frank Thomas and this team goes from basically a .500 team to World Series Champions. Oh well.

HotelWhiteSox
11-07-2005, 11:06 PM
I know, all that matters is the World Championship, but that is a complete slap in the face, such bull****.

MadetoOrta
11-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Terrible. What a disgrace. We're still being treated with no respect. KW did a masterful job. Iguchi, AJ, El Duque, Pods and Vizcaino for CLee. That alone warrants EOY. Where's the indignation from the Chicago media? We'll see.:angry:

Optipessimism
11-07-2005, 11:10 PM
This seemed about as can't-miss as any award has been all year.

El Duque, Hermanson, Iguchi, Kevin Walker, Geoff Blum, Pablo Ozuna, Chris Widger, Pods, Vizcaino, Jenks, Pierzynski, Dye

That's ELEVEN new players acquired since the 2004-2005 offseason and done without a significant increase in payroll, and KW is 10 for 11 in acquistions (that's a .909 batting average). This all comes after losing two of the most productive OF's in baseball AND without Frank Thomas for most of the year AND won a World Series! How can he not win?

But Shapiro? MFing Shapiro??? If we're going to count past moves here, we could also count Reed-Morse-Olivo for Garcia, Loaiza for Contreras, Uribe for Miles, etc.

What a ****ing joke.

credefan24
11-07-2005, 11:15 PM
I just find this laughable!
Let me get this straight: The guy from Cleveland, who the Sox swept with their BENCH, gets the exec of the year over KW who took his team to the promised land? :rolleyes:

Completely hilarious. What's next? They won't let Ozzie coach the All-Star team?

To be honest, I could care less about individual awards. That's not what this team is about. I suspect everyone on this board would trade all the individual awards for the big shiney trophy that will reside at 333 W. 35th St. next year.

chisoxmike
11-07-2005, 11:26 PM
:bs:

:KW
"I. DON'T. CARE."

Optipessimism
11-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Completely hilarious. What's next? They won't let Ozzie coach the All-Star team?

Don't give anyone any ideas. Maybe they'll invoke a newly created clause denying Venezuelan managers the right to manage an All Star game?

Frankfan4life
11-07-2005, 11:33 PM
This simply helps set up their pre-season prediction for the Indians to be the next World Series champions. This is just the beginning, get ready for the Jndians to be hyped to the max from now until the end of the season, unless they have a complete collapse before that, which isn't likely.

Banix12
11-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Let's remember that the Sporting News was the publication that said that the sox couldn't win in the playoffs because they didn't have "mojo".

They were the publication that assumed the white sox were not going to make the playoffs at all (so there was a lot of that going on), and they dedicated a huge portion of their playoff preview issue to cleveland. Only dedicating a little space to the white sox.

I think there is a possibility a few editors were ticked at the white sox. They were seriously on the Cleveland bandwagon for most of the last two months of the regular season.

chisoxmike
11-07-2005, 11:43 PM
Ok, I didnt read the whole thread....

THIS IS THE SPORTING NEWS AWARD! NOT the offical MLB award, they are two different things! What were people complaining about the other week that was a sporting news award and not a MLB award?

EDIT: Sporting News named Ozzie manager of the year... the MLB Manager of the year award comes out Nov. 9. THAT IS THE REAL AWARD.

AL Cy Young Nov. 8, that one should be interesting. It should be given to AL Central Champion Minnesota Twins lefty Johan Santana for giving the Twins 3 straight Central titles... just like how we have the Gold Glove to Torii Hunter.

It's Time
11-07-2005, 11:44 PM
You know what? I'm getting a bit tired of people saying they "don't care" when the organization continues to get SLAPPED in the face, while a 4th place team gets a friggin simulated GM press conference on ESPN.

I find it offensive.

This was as slam dunk of an award if there ever was one. How people say they don't care is beyond me.:?:

knocko94
11-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Does anyone know when the official MLB award is announced???

ilsox7
11-07-2005, 11:51 PM
You know what? I'm getting a bit tired of people saying they "don't care" when the organization continues to get SLAPPED in the face, while a 4th place team gets a friggin simulated GM press conference on ESPN.

I find it offensive.

This was as slam dunk of an award if there ever was one. How people say they don't care is beyond me.:?:

We won the World Championship. No ****ty media award makes one bit of difference to me. That's how I easily say I don't care. I don't get how people get themselves all up in a tizzy about meaningless awards, but I digress. If you're looking for media glory, root for the Cubs, Red Sox, or Yankees.

It's Time
11-07-2005, 11:53 PM
We won the World Championship. No ****ty media award makes one bit of difference to me. That's how I easily say I don't care. I don't get how people get themselves all up in a tizzy about meaningless awards, but I digress. If you're looking for media glory, root for the Cubs, Red Sox, or Yankees.

A little respect would be nice. Getting **** on all the time isn't all that fun.

SouthsideFathead
11-07-2005, 11:54 PM
has anyone mentioned that all the awards are voted on prior to the playoffs?

ilsox7
11-07-2005, 11:58 PM
A little respect would be nice. Getting **** on all the time isn't all that fun.

It's not fun if you let it get to you and actually care about it. I take more joy out of wearing my World Championship gear around than any piece of **** media outlet could ever even come close to spoiling it by one iota for me.

In fact, I think it's pretty funny when you see all of these idiots, who obviously did not give the Sox a chance, now trying to save some face. You cannot save face when you have been proven wrong (on the field). Any intelligent person realizes that 99% of the media are idiots. The problem is, you don't have many intelligent people running around out there (note that this is not directed at anyone here).

HotelWhiteSox
11-07-2005, 11:59 PM

He is still executive of the year without counting what they did in the playoffs IMO. Best record in the AL and 1st place wire to wire are great accomplishments in the self, factor in the money KW had to play with, the losses the team acquired in the offseason, and the criticism he received for the those losses and his replacements and moves, and all the predictions of 4th place finishes, huge run and win dropoff, etc etc etc, and this is a nobrainer for me. Official or not, who ever came to this conclusion is on something and has a personal vendetta against KW or the White Sox

seanpmurphy
11-08-2005, 12:08 AM
Am I the only person here who thinks being a fan of a World Championship team that also is the most hated on in sports is awesome? I find it delightful that our team has crapped all over the entire country by winning a championship. The part that matters is nothing anyone says for the next few months matters, cause da Sox are da champions. PERIOD.

People need to quit getting all upset over media disrespect, you should be online or in stores buying World Series gear as gifts for Christmas!

Banix12
11-08-2005, 12:10 AM

I thought that was only for the MLB awards. I would think the sporting news could change their mind whenever they felt like it up until the magazines actually go to print.

Unless the MLB and sporting news awards are the same thing, I'll admit i don't pay attention to these things.

Steelrod
11-08-2005, 01:02 AM

Has anyone mentioned, ""WIRE TO WIRE"
Why anyone would drop a dime on a rag like the Sporting News for information, when their information is OBVIOUSLY flawed and worthless. Does Marriotti write for them yet? They would probably vote him PULITZER PRIZE!

This is getting rediculous!

Fuller_Schettman
11-08-2005, 02:27 AM
My guess is that KW is still to busy picking confetti out of his ears to give a flinging flang!

For great justice!

mjmcend
11-08-2005, 02:43 AM
I have no great love of the media either, but before I bash them, I actually read the article in question. Some of you have such a persecution complex, that you think everyone is out to get us everytime something doesn't go our way. Lighten up and get the facts before laying into something for its supposed bias or stupidity. There are enough real examples of them out there, no need to chase after the legitimate pieces. It just makes you look paranoid.
Club executives from all 30 teams voted on this award, the magazine did nothing but conduct the poll.

Along the way, Shapiro, 38, gained the respect of his peers, who named him the Sporting News Executive of the Year. In ballots cast by two executives from every club, Shapiro edged White Sox general manager Ken Williams, 20 1/3 to 18 1/3 votes. Braves general manager John Schuerholz finished third with 12 1/3. The voting began in late September and finished in early October.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=33229

Frankfan4life
11-08-2005, 03:20 AM
I have no great love of the media either, but before I bash them, I actually read the article in question. Some of you have such a persecution complex, that you think everyone is out to get us everytime something doesn't go our way. Lighten up and get the facts before laying into something for its supposed bias or stupidity. There are enough real examples of them out there, no need to chase after the legitimate pieces. It just makes you look paranoid.
Club executives from all 30 teams voted on this award, the magazine did nothing but conduct the poll.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=33229The voting started during the time when Cleveland was still very hot and still had a chance to make it to the post season. Many of the executives must have voted during that time. That's the only way I can explain why Kenny didn't get it. I still don't see the glory in a team taking second place, especially since the Sox have had a lock on that "achievement" many times. But, I guess I have to fault the "executives" not Sporting News for choosing Shapiro over Kenny. However, I hope this trend doesn't continue.

By the way, Sporting News in their November 11, issue chose Cleveland to be the World Series champs in 06.

StockdaleForVeep
11-08-2005, 03:51 AM
watch, somehow joe torre will be the one managing the all star game next season too

IowaSox1971
11-08-2005, 04:24 AM
Awards voting should take place after the postseason. If a player, manager or general manager is "penalized" because his team didn't make it to the playoffs, too bad. Isn't the object of all this to win? If players fail to come through in the season's biggest games, should they be rewarded for that?

If the voting for MVP took place after the postseason, then Konerko might end up winning it instead of A-Rod or Ortiz, and that's probably the way it should be. Each guy hit 40 or more homers, but Konerko got key hits throughout the playoffs. A-Rod and Ortiz could not get their teams past the first round.

And if the voting for Cy Young took place after the postseason, then Buehrle might win it, instead of Colon.

And if the voting for manager and general manager took place after the postseason, the White Sox would have won those awards, too.

nccwsfan
11-08-2005, 07:31 AM

I find it offensive.

When was the last time a White Sox executive won the 'Executive of the Year' award? When was the last time the White Sox won the World Series (prior to 2005).

That should answer your question as to why this is more or less irrelevant. I'm sure Shapiro would much rather be in KW's shoes right now, getting that ring finger ready...

We're World Champions. That's ALL that matters...

nccwsfan
11-08-2005, 07:33 AM
It's not fun if you let it get to you and actually care about it. I take more joy out of wearing my World Championship gear around than any piece of **** media outlet could ever even come close to spoiling it by one iota for me.

In fact, I think it's pretty funny when you see all of these idiots, who obviously did not give the Sox a chance, now trying to save some face. You cannot save face when you have been proven wrong (on the field). Any intelligent person realizes that 99% of the media are idiots. The problem is, you don't have many intelligent people running around out there (note that this is not directed at anyone here).

Exactly. My World Series Champion hat looks just great- let the Indians fans wear their 'My guy's the Executive of the Year' hat.

Most publications picked the CWS to finish 4th in the AL Central. They won the World Series....I am 1000% vindicated.

Kittle'sNeighbor
11-08-2005, 09:20 AM
Absolute joke.

Let 2 of the top 15 sluggers, [both .300 type hitters] in the league go off a good team and win the World Series.

I bet that has never been done before and it will never happen again.

That is beyond genius. Exec of the year isn't good enough for what he accomplished.

He should get MLB's Man of the Year award as the one single person who did the best job of anybody in the League, regardless of the job.

When Carlos & Mags are in the Hall of Fame, Peter Gammons Grandson will be talking about this on MicroSoft Sports, saying that he was the greatest Exec in the history of MicroSoft League Baseball and that is why he was made President of the MicroSoft States of America by King Bill.

I'm glad he lives here in Scottsdale, hopefully we can get the other guy from Scottsdale to stay on the Southside.

soxfanatlanta
11-08-2005, 09:28 AM
I am a bit puzzled by how KW did not get this one, but let me try to get into the minds of the other 29 execs out there...

Perhaps there are some ancillary things that they considered such as:

1. The moves he made
2. The moves he did not make
3. How the Indians are poised to win over the next n years
4. Current salary levels
5. How did they get along with him personally

Or it could be because Clevland is closer to the Atlantic Ocean.
(sorry, the East Cost bias annoys me)

This is just conjecture on my part. I trying to rationalize this only because of the fact that John Shurholtz got 3rd: he took a team most people wrote off this season, and got into the playoffs with a bunch of guys not old enough to drink. They have a bright future with a new core of cheap talent. So, they took what JS did, looked at Shapio who has better long term talent than Atl, and decided to give it to him. However, I almost positive that if they voted last week, KW would get the nod.

One thing I do know, KW will not have to give his ring back for not winning.
:D:

Canadian_SoxFan
11-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Kenny will win the MLB Executive of the year, no doubt. This isn't the official award, so no need to get upset, yet.

daveeym
11-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Kenny will win the MLB Executive of the year, no doubt. This isn't the official award, so no need to get upset, yet.It has the possibility of going the same way because of the timing of the votes. The choke talk and coming down to earth talk was what 99% of the media and baseball believed. You'd think the AL writers would recognize, but there's something much more sexier about the young Cleveland lineup knocking on the door than the Sox.

rbeze09
11-08-2005, 10:34 AM
i dont knwo why people r so surprised when our guys dont get awards handed out by national media organizations. It's not like they havent given the sox the shaft all season. I agree that the Sox should get some of these awards, but they did win as a TEAM, so I don't think they really care about all the accolades...I would probably laugh if we got some of these awards from medai mogules that bashed us all season...we r the 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS..thats enough recognition 4 me

Jenks4Pres
11-08-2005, 10:53 AM
This is an absolute outrage!!! What a slap in the face to Kenny.

Ol' No. 2
11-08-2005, 10:54 AM
What do you expect? The Sox will get the respect they deserve when they actually win something.

soxfanreggie
11-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Don't we often see Sporting News pick different MVP's, Cy Youngs, etc. I could see sporting news picking A-Rod and MLB picking Ortiz for MVP or something like that.

MUScholar21
11-08-2005, 11:42 AM
What do you expect? The Sox will get the respect they deserve when they actually win something.

I think this is the most insulting thing-this is what a lot of people said with great reason all year. Now, when they have, they STILL don't get any respect. If Shapiro wins this award for real, it would be like Custer being priased for making a great last charge at Big Horn-even though he lost, they are teaching it at the Army War College.

Realist
11-08-2005, 11:45 AM
Yes! The chip on the shoulder of the organization remains intact!

Repeat!

:moonwalk:

Unregistered
11-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Edit: I just realized that this is not the official award. I guess this only shows how idiotic and useless the Sporting News has become.Yeah, this thread should really be edited with a new headline - it's pretty misleading. Golf Digest and Sporting News could both name KW "Executive of the Millenium" and it still wouldn't have any bearing on the real award.

batmanZoSo
11-08-2005, 12:11 PM
What an unbelievable crock of @#$%.

I have nothing more to say. lol...who cares. Let's just repeat.

veeter
11-08-2005, 12:32 PM
At the general managers meetings, I'll bet KW will get much respect from his piers. That's all he'll need. But on the off chance it pisses him off, he'll be a hungry man this off-season.

Foulke You
11-08-2005, 12:33 PM
I'm speechless. 75 million payroll, wire to wire 1st place 99 win team, 11W-1L in October and you give it to the GM of a team that didn't make the playoffs?? Shame on you Sporting News!

Y'know, I'm never one to play the Jesse Jackson "race card" angle but KW is the only black GM in baseball and things like this make me step back and scratch my head and wonder. I sure hope it is just the usual White Sox Rodney Dangerfield syndrome.

mjmcend
11-08-2005, 12:47 PM
I'm speechless. 75 million payroll, wire to wire 1st place 99 win team, 11W-1L in October and you give it to the GM of a team that didn't make the playoffs?? Shame on you Sporting News!

Y'know, I'm never one to play the Jesse Jackson "race card" angle but KW is the only black GM in baseball and things like this make me step back and scratch my head and wonder. I sure hope it is just the usual White Sox Rodney Dangerfield syndrome.

Read the article, Sportingnews did nothing but conduct a poll of club execs. Quit being so paranoid, not everyone is out to get the Sox.

Lip Man 1
11-08-2005, 12:51 PM
No. 2:

Why are you getting upset on a meaningless award handed out by a publication?

Awards and award shows today are like rear ends, everybody has one. They are basically meaningless.

The only things that matter are the Sox winning games, actual players taking notice of that fact and ownership doing all they can to keep and acquire as much talent as possible by any and all means.

Lip

voodoochile
11-08-2005, 12:53 PM
No. 2:

Why are you getting upset on a meaningless award handed out by a publication?

Awards and award shows today are like rear ends, everybody has one. They are basically meaningless.

The only things that matter are the Sox winning games, actual players taking notice of that fact and ownership doing all they can to keep and acquire as much talent as possible by any and all means.

Lip

Tell that to KW...

It matters to the person receiving the award and KW is our GM who did a heck of a job.

Is the Pullitzer Prize a meaningless award? This is KW's Pullitzer, Lip...

mjmcend
11-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Tell that to KW...

It matters to the person receiving the award and KW is our GM who did a heck of a job.

Is the Pullitzer Prize a meaningless award? This is KW's Pullitzer, Lip...

No the award from the BWAA is akin to the Pullitzer, this is just meaningless trash from a magazine and some club executives.

It's Time
11-08-2005, 01:00 PM
No the award from the BWAA is akin to the Pullitzer, this is just meaningless trash from a magazine and some club executives.

Really? If you constructed a WS champion and put you're ass on the line doing it, would you be fine with someone undeserving winning the award?

Lip Man 1
11-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Voodoo:

In 1983 the Sox won every individual award and lost in the playoffs...

In 1993 the Sox won a number of individual awards and lost in the playoffs...

I can't speak for anyone else but I know which year I'd rather remember and it's not 1983 or 1993.

I don't get upset over individual magazines and newspapers handing out awards, like I said, today they are meaningless because practically EVERY publication and organization has them. When there were only one or two that actually mattered.

Lip

voodoochile
11-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Voodoo:

In 1983 the Sox won every individual award and lost in the playoffs...

In 1993 the Sox won a number of individual awards and lost in the playoffs...

I can't speak for anyone else but I know which year I'd rather remember and it's not 1983 or 1993.

I don't get upset over individual magazines and newspapers handing out awards, like I said, today they are meaningless because practically EVERY publication and organization has them. When there were only one or two that actually mattered.

Lip

What does one thing have to do with another. The WS trophy is already ours. Don't you find it at least a little offensive that a team that went wire to wire and tied for the best record in MLB postseason history hasn't won a single individiual award to date?

No Gold Gloves.

No ROY.

No Exec of the year.

The trophy is great, wouldn't trade it for any of the others, but doesn't this team deserve both? :?:

mjmcend
11-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Really? If you constructed a WS champion and put you're ass on the line doing it, would you be fine with someone undeserving winning the award?

Well first of all the WS championship would be more than I would ever need, but either way this is not the real award. Let's not get upset for Kenny until they hand out the real award from the BWAA.

Stroker Ace
11-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Kenny got screwed, but I say the same thing as I did about Tadahito not getting major consideration for ROTY," He might have won the award, but Kenny got the ring."

Unregistered
11-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Really? If you constructed a WS champion and put you're ass on the line doing it, would you be fine with someone undeserving winning the award?I feel like a lot of people aren't realizing this isn't THE OFFICIAL "Executive of the Year" award. This is the one that the SPORTING NEWS published based on a poll by other execs.

I'm sure if KW doesn't get the BWAA award for Executive of the Year, he and many other people will be pretty pissed, but I don't think he's losing sleep over what amounts to a poll published in a bull**** magazine.

MadetoOrta
11-08-2005, 01:15 PM

I typed this last night, but thought against it. I'm white as snow and a conservative but there sure are times when I wonder if race did or didn't place some role. Sometimes you just gotta wonder ......

BeefyD
11-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Don't you find it at least a little offensive that a team that went wire to wire and tied for the best record in MLB postseason history hasn't won a single individiual award to date?

Well, that's not exactly true. If we're counting magazine awards as meaningful, then we can't forget:

MLB AL Pitcher of the Week:
9/12 - Jose Contreras
8/01 - Dustin Hermanson
4/25 - Jon Garland

AL Rookie of the Week:
4/04 - Tadahito Iguchi

AL Pitcher of the Month:
Sept. - Jose Contreras
June - Mark Buehrle
April - Jon Garland

Sporting News Manger of the Year:
Ozzie Guillen

manders_01
11-08-2005, 02:09 PM
This topic has been touched on but...

As happy as I am that we are World Champs, I still think it stinks that the members of this team are not being recognized for their talent by the media; other baseball players, managers, owners, etc. and the genral public. Yes, winning the WS is better than many of these individual awards but obviously these men have talent. Whether as a whole or individually, if they were not as talented as they are, they would not have won the WS.

spiffie
11-08-2005, 02:14 PM
See, to me this really shows the philosophy of the White Sox and why it was successful. At no point did they ever make the decision they needed the best guy at any one position, something which would cripple the rest of the team unless you're the Yankees who can act like a fantasy team owner. But by making sure there were no spots anywhere that we had to cringe at who was playing for us, they put together a perfectly complete team. The only area where I could say they have a legitimate grievance in the Gold Gloves, where Uribe should have been the clear-cut winner (as even Neyer on ESPN showed), but other than that, this team is all about getting solid guys from 1-25, not superstars from 1-5 and scrubs from 6-25.

batmanZoSo
11-08-2005, 02:16 PM
I agree, I mean I'll just echo that winning the World Series supersedes everything else, but we have been dissed hardcore. How could KW not be executive of the year? He took a mediocre team with limited payroll and won a championship. Meanwhile the guy who did win had a team that choked at the end when it really counted and that was picked by almost everyone to finish higher than us! How could we have the best defense in the AL, but no gold gloves? Bah...

nccwsfan
11-08-2005, 02:19 PM
What the White Sox were doing on 10/28:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-10/20209438.jpg

What everyone else was doing on 10/28:
http://www.effortlessswing.com/images/golf.jpg

Ask the other 29 MLB teams what they would have preferred doing that day.... let them have their awards. MLB players are in it to win it and the White Sox won.

Everyone here knows KW deserves the EOTY award, that Guillen deserves the MOTY award, that at least 2 playes should've won Gold Gloves.....what matters is who wins the last game of the World Series.

ChiSoxGirl
11-08-2005, 03:07 PM
What the White Sox were doing on 10/28:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-10/20209438.jpg

What everyone else was doing on 10/28:
http://www.effortlessswing.com/images/golf.jpg

Ask the other 29 MLB teams what they would have preferred doing that day.... let them have their awards. MLB players are in it to win it and the White Sox won.

Everyone here knows KW deserves the EOTY award, that Guillen deserves the MOTY award, that at least 2 playes should've won Gold Gloves.....what matters is who wins the last game of the World Series.

You are so right and I couldn't disagree with you even if I wanted.

However, I was streaming Silvy & Carmen this morning and Mr. Cub Fan Silvy was even saying what a HUGE snub this is to not only Ken Williams, but the whole Sox organization. Silvy's right- it is a snub, and a BIG one. But by the same token, it just keeps the Sox being the Sox like they have all year- flying under the radar. Plus, this just gives them a reason to increase the size of the chip they have on their shoulder for next year! And we all saw what a chip on their shoulders did this year...! :wink:

Foulke You
11-08-2005, 03:21 PM
I typed this last night, but thought against it. I'm white as snow and a conservative but there sure are times when I wonder if race did or didn't place some role. Sometimes you just gotta wonder ......
I'm white too and sometimes I think that people jump to conclusions on racial stuff but at the same time, it is such a HUGE snub that as I said in my previous post, you wonder if it played a part in some people's decision. I'm not saying it did, but if people think there is no racism whatsoever in baseball, then you are living in a fantasy world.

Foulke You
11-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Ok, people can stop mentioning how this award is meaningless compared to the World Series win. OF COURSE it is meaningless when you compare it to that. Nobody on this board will argue that a sporting news exec of the year award is more important that a World Championhip.

But as Voodoo stated, I'm sure KW would find it an honor to get recognition for his work. He certainly deserves it far more than Mark Shapiro. If you were a GM of baseball, you would like to add awards to your resume too. The snub for the award is what is up for debate here, not whether it is as important as October Playoff victories.

Unregistered
11-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Ok, people can stop mentioning how this award is meaningless compared to the World Series win. OF COURSE it is meaningless when you compare it to that. Nobody on this board will argue that a sporting news exec of the year award is more important that a World Championhip.

But as Voodoo stated, I'm sure KW would find it an honor to get recognition for his work. He certainly deserves it far more than Mark Shapiro. If you were a GM of baseball, you would like to add awards to your resume too. The snub for the award is what is up for debate here, not whether it is as important as October Playoff victories.
But the more important GM award is the ACTUAL "Executive of the Year" award given out by the BBWA. That's the one that "counts" - and it hasn't been awarded yet.

Stoky44
11-08-2005, 03:32 PM
All I can do is lowerr my head and shake it with dissapointment. Who in the world are the idiots voting for this. It really makes no sense to me. The only thing I can think that hurt KW is the "slide" they had late in the regular season. Injuns got a lot of hype, and Sox were "lucky" to hold on. This might have swayed the vote. And when was the vote anyway? Even if it was before the post season there is no excuse. And these people get payed $ to "analyze" sports. HA!

CPditka
11-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Couldnt agree more. Seriously, based on all of these awards, I am starting to question if we should have even won the title.:?: We have no gold glovers, a GM thats worse than a team that didnt even make the playoffs and that finished 3 games furthur behind us than they did the year before! :angry: No Cy Young pitchers, no ROY iguchi, nor flame thrower Bobby Jenks. The Indians, and for that matter the Twins seem to be getting a lot of love in these awards for teams that took a step backwards in the standings. We probably wouldnt even win the award for team synergy. Mediots, what are you going to do.

Foulke You
11-08-2005, 03:49 PM
But the more important GM award is the ACTUAL "Executive of the Year" award given out by the BBWA. That's the one that "counts" - and it hasn't been awarded yet.
I agree that the actual MLB one is the more important one. However, a snub is a snub. Whether it is for a lesser award or not.

nccwsfan
11-08-2005, 04:09 PM
The snub for the award is what is up for debate here, not whether it is as important as October Playoff victories.

But in the end, what does the 'snub' really matter? Does it diminish KW's accomplishments at all? Of course not- anyone with 1/2 a baseball brain in their head can see what kind of job he did the past twelve months. And yes I am of the opinion that KW did a heckuva job and should be the runaway winner of the award.

Being that it's taken so long to get to this point I'd rather sit back and enjoy the spoils of victory. Kenny Williams, his boss, the White Sox fans, and his GM peers are well aware of what he's done, and an award by baseball writers (media) won't change that a bit. If he's wins that's great. Kudos to KW. If he doesn't you have two options- stew about it, get angry, and call the media idiots, or let it slide knowing that you got the last laugh.....

Lip Man 1
11-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Voodoo:

Doesn't bother me one bit. The teams I mentioned won every individual award in site yet couldn't even get to the World Series.

I'd rather be snubbed and hold the trophy. This is a perfect example of the philosophy of the organization since the first day of spring training this season. The team is better then the individual parts.

The rest of the baseball world can only ignore the Sox for so long. They are holding the trophy and if they can at least make it back to the post season next year they'll be forced to start looking at the White Sox in a different light.

And at least part of the reason for the 'snubbing' is because until this year the White Sox accomplished very little of substance in the past 25 years. Getting a reputation is the hardest thing to do in sports, once you do get it though it builds upon itself. The Sox are now at the start of this process.

Lip

kevin57
11-08-2005, 05:42 PM
No GG, No Rookie of the Year, Our two top pitchers 4th and 5th for Cy Young...

It is possible to make an okay argument how other players on other teams were more deserving of this award than any of our guys. Possible.

The GM award should have gone hands down to KW.

I"m not bitter or even angry about these snubs. We have the championship and that's worth celebrating without mixture the whole year through, but it does demonstrate that these awards have indeed become jokes. And that's an embarrassment for the writers, players, coaches, etc. who vote on these things.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-08-2005, 06:02 PM
All these awards prove that the sportswriters bought into the "choke" theory big-time last September. It made no difference that the Sox had led the division for six months... or that they clinched the division before traveling to Cleveland... or that the Sox swept Cleveland and knocked them clean out out of the playoffs.

It made no difference that the Sox finished with 99 wins and a 6-game lead over the team that all the sportswriters made their new darlings. The Sox "choked choked choked" and (to hear these barnicles tell it) the Sox deserved not one bit of respect for any of their accomplishments achieved through October 2, 2005.

And now every last one of these sportswriters looks like the clueless barnicles we always suspected them of being. They missed the entire 2005 Sox season -- the greatest in 88 years of franchise history and easily the best baseball story of 2005.

When the MVP award is announced the Sox will be officially shutout by the sportswriters. It's only embarrassing to the sportswriters who voted, not the Sox.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-08-2005, 07:03 PM
For White Sox fans looking to have Kenny Williams vindicated by some "official" version of this award by MLB will be sadly disappointed.

Here are the awards offered by MLB:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/awards/y2005/index.jsp

Executive of the Year honors are named by The Sporting News and in the past (they may still do so) by Baseball America.

The only justification for naming Shipiro is based on the fact he worked with $46 mil in salary vs. Kenny William's $78 mil - almost twice as much. I think all three were great executives this season but in the end results DO matter and I think Kenny Williams, whose White Sox beat teams with much higher payrolls for the best AL record and throughout the Playoffs and World Series (Houston's payroll is about the same), should have been awarded first place (and would have if the balloting was done after the World Series - I understand other awards are for the season (MVP, Cy Young, etc.) but Executive of the Year and Manager of the Year should be based on the entire season including post season). Despite Moneyball's claim that playoffs are luck, they do in fact matter and should be taken into account.

Canadian_SoxFan
11-08-2005, 07:12 PM
All these awards prove that the sportswriters bought into the "choke" theory big-time last September. It made no difference that the Sox had led the division for six months... or that they clinched the division before traveling to Cleveland... or that the Sox swept Cleveland and knocked them clean out out of the playoffs.

It made no difference that the Sox finished with 99 wins and a 6-game lead over the team that all the sportswriters made their new darlings. The Sox "choked choked choked" and (to hear these barnicles tell it) the Sox deserved not one bit of respect for any of their accomplishments achieved through October 2, 2005.

And now every last one of these sportswriters looks like the clueless barnicles we always suspected them of being. They missed the entire 2005 Sox season -- the greatest in 88 years of franchise history and easily the best baseball story of 2005.

When the MVP award is announced the Sox will be officially shutout by the sportswriters. It's only embarrassing to the sportswriters who voted, not the Sox. I believe Ozzie won the Sporting News Manager of the Year about a month ago.

caulfield12
11-08-2005, 07:41 PM
That is the most riidiculous thing I've ever read. A team that doesn't make the playoffs over a world champion.

I know it's meaningless, but this gets old. The Sox beat the living SNOT out of Cleveland. We treated them like they were the Royals. We single-handedly prevented them from participating in post-season, and we embarassed the hell out of them when our b team swept their baseball-prospectus paper-tiger on the last week of the season in their place.

FWIW, Williams' teams have finished ahead of the INdians 4 years in a row and counting (4 of Williams' 5 years on the job). The Indians were rebuilding? Well, the only players on the roster 2005 that were also on the roster when KW took over were Crede, MB, Frank and Konerko.

Rowand, too

caulfield12
11-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Sporting news names Mark Shapiro as exec of the year as voted, Kenny got 2nd with John Schuerholz getting 3rd in the voting

In reality, I would respect the voters more if they gave it to Schuerholz.

The Indians got all the attention in the world, but it only serves to keep the White Sox motivated going into next season. The White Sox will thrive on the underdog role again, IMO.

The only reason I can think of for this result is voting before the White Sox stormed through the post-season.

The main reason for their success was getting Cliff Lee and Sizemore...one trade, in the PAST.

As mentioned, Millwood was not the most amazing or risky FA pickup in the history of baseball by any stretch of the imagination.

Hendu
11-08-2005, 08:56 PM
I guess this isn't that surprising when you consider that there are STILL baseball experts that think the Brewers pulled off a heist in the C Lee for Pods and Viz deal.

It doesn't matter that the trade put the Sox over the hump. It also doesn't matter that finding a good, affordable leadoff hitter is a heck of a lot harder than finding an $8 mil power-hitting OF. They just can't get over the loss of OPS and RBI production, regardless of how many games the trade improved us in the standings.

holmeed
11-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Well, I believe this is like manager of the year. Sporting News has their own meaningless version, and baseball has an official version.

Either way, this is a ****ing joke. Shapiro did jack squat this past offseason other than sign Millwood. He watched the team mature. How risky.

Ken Williams put his career on the line. He took a huge risk, and he certainly would have been fired had the Sox won 70 games like so many mediots predicted. He got nothing but snickering and ridicule from the press and baseball "insiders" during the offseason. It looks like the awards from Sporting News are as trivial as Gold Gloves.

Being a 35 year sox fan I was one who bashed KW . I hated him trading Kip Wells and a few others. But I was wrong. Have to admit KW got a little lucky but luck is part of the job sometimes. As far as going to baseball games anymore I don't go. WAY to much money.When a sno-cone is 3 bucks, there making WAY to much money. And after the '94 strike?....nuff said.. Did go to Sox-Cub game at Wrigley a few years ago however. Sox won 2-1, 5 inning game. After this year though I'm going to the Metrodome to watch the WSox next year. I moved from Ill couple years ago to western wis so its closer. I still am in shock that we won this thing. Its great. And since I'm a lifelong Viking fan... well you know 0-4..

BeviBall!
11-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Wasn't Cleveland picked ahead of us in every pub? So he wins for losing... great.

NWSox
11-08-2005, 11:35 PM
The real Exec. of the Year is awarded by the BWAA so we'll see how that goes. They gave it to Theo last year (and the year before I think) so if they give it to Shapiro, they're going to look like hypocrites. The logic for Theo is that he made the moves that put the Red Sox over the top, regardless of payroll. By that standard, KW is even more deserving (he is far more responsible for this championship than Theo was last year and he had 60% of the payroll). Giving it to Shapiro will send the message that this is just a popularity contest among the Moneyball guys. I'm beginning to think the Moneyball guys get more of a kick out of fielding a low budget team than actually winning a championship.

KRS1
11-08-2005, 11:41 PM
I'm just going to restate myself from another thread. The guys who wrote this article praise him for the guys Shapiro got b4 this season. Well, let's see before this season a certain player named Alex Escobar was waived by Shapiro, as he could not find a suitor in a trade b4 Alex got hurt. Now Kenny picks up that same player and trades him for a Jerry Owens the Southern League batting champ. Well, I guess these writers shouldnt give up their day jobs doing the loacal police beat at the Star.

Fake Chet Lemon
11-08-2005, 11:53 PM
Al Campanis is smiling somewhere.

Unfortunately he isn't the only nit-wit who thought that way who is associated with the game of baseball. Kenny appears to be too "uppity" for the voters. I will not dismiss the race card UNTIL SOMEONE GIVES ME A BETTER REASON. I've yet to hear one. Kenny's team knocked the team of the guy who won it out of playoff contention on their own turf!!!! What else should Kenny Williams have done???? I'm really PO'd. Excellence deserves to be recognized, BOTTOM LINE. The players won the ring on the field, Kenny didn't play but he won this award in a landslide.