PDA

View Full Version : Kermit

Jerry_Manuel
12-15-2001, 06:20 PM
A question for you, it looks like one of the players involved in the Erstad deal was Brian West. Can you give me some info on him? Gammons had a mention of this in his article where an Angels exec said he was a "stud". Is that true?

kermittheefrog
12-15-2001, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
A question for you, it looks like one of the players involved in the Erstad deal was Brian West. Can you give me some info on him? Gammons had a mention of this in his article where an Angels exec said he was a "stud". Is that true?

West has good heat, he throw 96 but he hasn't really put up the results you expect from a guy who throw that hard. I've heard he struggles with changing speeds and breaking pitches so he's really raw as a prospect. He doesn't rack up a ton of Ks or doesn't have good control. He's still very young so I'd say he's a decent prospect but not a stud in the since of Garland and Wells.

Jerry_Manuel
12-15-2001, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
West has good heat, he throw 96 but he hasn't really put up the results you expect from a guy who throw that hard. I've heard he struggles with changing speeds and breaking pitches so he's really raw as a prospect. He doesn't rack up a ton of Ks or doesn't have good control. I'd say he's a decent prospect but not a stud in the since of Garland and Wells.

Sounds a little like Dan Wright, from a speed stand point. Thanks for the info.

FarWestChicago
12-15-2001, 07:41 PM

West has good heatI like his name. :smile:

kermittheefrog
12-15-2001, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Sounds a little like Dan Wright, from a speed stand point. Thanks for the info.

West is kind of similar to Wright. They are both big guys, throw really hard, I think they both played football. They even had similar numbers in the low minors, although Wright's control was better. The big difference is Wright has a great breaking ball and West is struggling with everything other than the fastball. Wright was also a little older when he was pitching in those leagues because he came out of college and West came out of H.S.

Dadawg_77
12-15-2001, 11:25 PM

West is kind of similar to Wright. They are both big guys, throw really hard, I think they both played football. They even had similar numbers in the low minors, although Wright's control was better. The big difference is Wright has a great breaking ball and West is struggling with everything other than the fastball. Wright was also a little older when he was pitching in those leagues because he came out of college and West came out of H.S.

And also explains why Wright can throw breaking stuff and Wright can't. I know this might make me a master of the obivious but just saying you can't get out of college ball without knowing who to throw breaking stuff where as you can in High School