PDA

View Full Version : Do we owe a big THANK YOU to Houston's owner?

MaggPipes
11-07-2005, 04:50 PM
I was sitting in class like I always do today and my mid wandered off onto the White Sox. I was thinking what would have happened if Houston would have kept Wagner. Would Scotty have hit his bomb to win the game, and would blum done the same? I am the point now where the whole thing has sunk in and thinking about it more in retrospect. It was awesome for us to go out there and win it like we did, but a part of that has to be thankful to the astros cheapness, I know that is what we would all be ranting and raving about if we were astros fans...I do know that he had spent two years with the phillies, I am just saying...don't everyone throw things at me...

Baby Fisk
11-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Look at it from another angle...were it not for Reinsdorf and Williams, would Pods and Blum have been around to hit those dingers? It's not what another team didn't do, it's what the Sox did do. In that light they deserve a bigger thank you. :cool:

IlliniSox4Life
11-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Or for that matter, do we owe a big thank you to Brad Lidge's parents for raising a kid who would be great all year, but then slump in the playoffs and give up a home run to Scotty?

The Wall
11-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Or for that matter, do we owe a big thank you to Brad Lidge's parents for raising a kid who would be great all year, but then slump in the playoffs and give up a home run to Scotty?

Scotty hit a home run again?

ChiSoxRowand
11-07-2005, 07:47 PM
I was sitting in class like I always do today and my mid wandered off onto the White Sox. I was thinking what would have happened if Houston would have kept Wagner. Would Scotty have hit his bomb to win the game, and would blum done the same? I am the point now where the whole thing has sunk in and thinking about it more in retrospect. It was awesome for us to go out there and win it like we did, but a part of that has to be thankful to the astros cheapness, I know that is what we would all be ranting and raving about if we were astros fans...I do know that he had spent two years with the phillies, I am just saying...don't everyone throw things at me...

The main reason they traded Wagner is so they would have money to sign Petitte and Clemens. There were rumors that Roger might want to come play for Houston if Petitte signed there.

Tragg
11-07-2005, 07:48 PM
We would have clocked Wagner; Lidge is a better pitcher and Wagner, while still good, has lost the edge he once had on his pitches.
If they kept Wagner, they may not have been able to afford Clemens, in which case we wouldn't have played Houston.
That was a good move by Houston not to pay that money for a reliever, especially when they had one in the wings.

Huisj
11-07-2005, 08:01 PM
We would have clocked Wagner; Lidge is a better pitcher and Wagner, while still good, has lost the edge he once had on his pitches.
If they kept Wagner, they may not have been able to afford Clemens, in which case we wouldn't have played Houston.
That was a good move by Houston not to pay that money for a reliever, especially when they had one in the wings.

Hmm, 1.51 ERA, .165 opponent BA, 0.84 WHIP. I dunno that I'd say he's lost his edge with numbers like that. Ok, so he didn't strike out 9 zillion guys this year (87 in 78 innings, still awfully good), but I wouldn't say that makes Lidge better.

Brian26
11-07-2005, 08:04 PM
I was thinking what would have happened if Houston would have kept Wagner. Would Scotty have hit his bomb to win the game, and would blum done the same?

The White Sox still would have won the World Series. 2005 was their year, and they were absolutely the best team in the world. One pitcher would not have made that much of a difference.

bayzbol44
11-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Look at it this way...The White Sox won and they are the World Champions!!! Who gives a damn how they did it. To cover all bases, I thank all the MLB teams for any trades they did or did not do with us.

JohnBasedowYoda
11-07-2005, 08:21 PM
The White Sox still would have won the World Series. 2005 was their year, and they were absolutely the best team in the world. One pitcher would not have made that much of a difference.

Preach it!
http://www.norfolkroots24.co.uk/norfolkRoots/content/HowTo/Guide/img/preacher.jpg
Amen!

gobears1987
11-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Yeah and the Indians owe us a thank you for not signing Clemens and getting Navarro instead.

Tragg
11-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Hmm, 1.51 ERA, .165 opponent BA, 0.84 WHIP. I dunno that I'd say he's lost his edge with numbers like that. Ok, so he didn't strike out 9 zillion guys this year (87 in 78 innings, still awfully good), but I wouldn't say that makes Lidge better.
I know his stats are good; but my eyes say differently; I saw him pitch all the time with Houston and occasionally with Philly and he isn't as good as he was, imo.