PDA

View Full Version : Twins Interested in Thome

Hawk Harrelson
11-07-2005, 03:57 PM
According to MLB.com the Twins have contacted the Phillies about acquiring Jim Thome. If this is true, then the Phillies may really be looking to move Thome and must be eating a large portion of his salary. He is owed 43 MIL over the next three years.

Personally, I would like to see the Sox come in and take Thome if we can get him for 3 years at 12-13 MIL, asssuming the Phils eat about 6 MIL. I would take Thome for three years over Konerko for five. I am not sure of the defensive ability of Thome, but we can always DH him. Obviously his health is a concern but assuming he's healthy I would take Thome over Konerko.

longshot7
11-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Not me. I'll take Konerko. Smart move for the Twins tho - they do need help.

Deuce
11-07-2005, 04:05 PM
:o:

I don't want to see this guy in the AL again, much less in our division. He is brutal against us.

Randar68
11-07-2005, 04:08 PM
:o:

I don't want to see this guy in the AL again, much less in our division. He is brutal against us.

I'd like to see him in our division, but playing for us, obviously.

Outside of health reasons, you'd have to be nuts to take Konerko over Thome all else being equal.

I still think we need a LH power stick in the 3-hole even if we resign Pauly.

Hawk Harrelson
11-07-2005, 04:12 PM

Outside of health reasons, you'd have to be nuts to take Konerko over Thome all else being equal.

Thome/Konerko would be a murderer's row. Financially I am sure it can't be done, but we can always dream.

The only concern with Thome is the health, if he's healthy there is no doubt he's a better hitter than Paulie. He was injured last year, but other than that he's been healthy most of his career.

tlebar318
11-07-2005, 04:14 PM
C'mon Kenny! go get him! :D:

Unregistered
11-07-2005, 04:18 PM
According to the press in Philadelphia, the rumor is BS. It came out over a week ago, before the Phillies even had a GM. It's no shock that it came out of Minnesota - more like posturing and wishful thinking. :rolleyes:

Randar68
11-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Thome/Konerko would be a murderer's row. Financially I am sure it can't be done, but we can always dream.

The only concern with Thome is the health, if he's healthy there is no doubt he's a better hitter than Paulie. He was injured last year, but other than that he's been healthy most of his career.

I have no idea why you think it can't be done when we're talking about Philly eating some of the contract and a payroll increase of over 10 million from last year to around 85 million in 2006.

Randar68
11-07-2005, 04:20 PM
According to the press in Philadelphia, the rumor is BS. It came out over a week ago, before the Phillies even had a GM. It's no shock that it came out of Minnesota - more like posturing and wishful thinking.

Still not sure what Philly's plan is unless they are going to move to the AL next year.

Hawk Harrelson
11-07-2005, 04:23 PM
I have no idea why you think it can't be done when we're talking about Philly eating some of the contract and a payroll increase of over 10 million from last year to around 85 million in 2006.

Thome is making about 14 a year, so even if they eat a good portion you are still looking at 10 MIL a year, which means it would be all of the supposed 10 MIL increase. You still have to pay the guys who are getting raises and not to mention the extra money going to Paulie.

I am not saying it can't be done, but I think it would take a little more than the 10 MIL increase you are talking about.

TheOldRoman
11-07-2005, 04:23 PM

I agree. If the Phillies are willing to pick up lots of his salary (and they would have to to move him) we should jump all over him. We could trade for him to DH him. With maybe half of his salary paid by the Phils, we would still be able to resign Paulie. We would also still be able to resign Frank to share DH time with Thome, while Thome plays first once or twice a week to rest Paulie. I dont know how reasonable that is. As much as I love Frank and want him to finish his career here, KW can't be handcuffed expecting Frank to come back and play 140 games as our DH this year.

Unregistered
11-07-2005, 04:24 PM
All things considered, I'd take Delgado over Thome any day.

Randar68
11-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Thome is making about 14 a year, so even if they eat a good portion you are still looking at 10 MIL a year, which means it would be all of the supposed 10 MIL increase. You still have to pay the guys who are getting raises and not to mention the extra money going to Paulie.

I am not saying it can't be done, but I think it would take a little more than the 10 MIL increase you are talking about.

We have gone over this over and over and over. The Sox have a LOT of mooney coming off the books from Frank, Carl, Shingo, Ben Davis, and Konerko (before you add him and his raise back to the equation)

If all you want to do is resign Pauly and trade for Thome for around 10 million a year, you can easily stay within 85 million in payroll.

It's been shown several times in various threads and I will not rehash it again, but if you want to do the math, then do all of it.

Randar68
11-07-2005, 04:26 PM
All things considered, I'd take Delgado over Thome any day.

I think Delgado is more of a sure thing, but I do think Thome is a better for for this clubhouse.

That said, if Kenny and Ozzie think Delgado would fit right in, then I would definitely prefer him to Thome.

Hawk Harrelson
11-07-2005, 04:27 PM
We have gone over this over and over and over. The Sox have a LOT of mooney coming off the books from Frank, Carl, Shingo, Ben Davis, and Konerko (before you add him and his raise back to the equation)

If all you want to do is resign Pauly and trade for Thome for around 10 million a year, you can easily stay within 85 million in payroll.

It's been shown several times in various threads and I will not rehash it again, but if you want to do the math, then do all of it.

I don't have all the info (where do you find all the salaries?) but if you say it can be done then I guess I'll believe it. This only makes me want Thome more.

maurice
11-07-2005, 04:33 PM
According to MLB.com the Twins have contacted the Phillies about acquiring Jim Thome.

Thome to the Twins? :rolleyes:
They can't even afford to pay the guys they have.

Ol' No. 2
11-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Anyone have any information on Thome's back? Is it still ouchie? What's the prognosis for next year? Obviously, this has a big impact on how desirable he is.

Randar68
11-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Anyone have any information on Thome's back? Is it still ouchie? What's the prognosis for next year? Obviously, this has a big impact on how desirable he is.

His back is not the reason he missed most of 2005. He had Tommy John Surgery.

Ol' No. 2
11-07-2005, 05:36 PM
His back is not the reason he missed most of 2005. He had Tommy John Surgery.Oh. I assume he'll be good to go by spring training?

mantis1212
11-07-2005, 05:49 PM
I think Delgado is more of a sure thing, but I do think Thome is a better for for this clubhouse.

That said, if Kenny and Ozzie think Delgado would fit right in, then I would definitely prefer him to Thome.

Didn't Delgado already veto a trade to the Sox? What makes anyone think he'd still be a good choice?

I guess he'd rather come to the World Series champion, but the trade veto is still a turn-off.

TheOldRoman
11-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Didn't Delgado already veto a trade to the Sox? What makes anyone think he'd still be a good choice?

I guess he'd rather come to the World Series champion, but the trade veto is still a turn-off.
He vetoed a midseason trade in 04. He said beforehand that he would veto trades to any team that didn't want to sign him to an extention. He didn't want to have to move his family for two months before moving them again in the offseason. It is understandable.

ma-gaga
11-07-2005, 05:56 PM
This is one of those "rumors" that a silly BBWAA member dreams up. Sid Hartman; one of the more intolerable media schills for Pohlad and Selig (the Twins version of Phil Rogers). In reality, this deal has no chance of happening.

The only way I can see the Twins doing this, is if they trade Torii Hunter to the Phillies for Thome and if they each agree to pay each others contracts. That would work for the Twins, but I don't know why Philly would do it.

:cool:

jdm2662
11-07-2005, 06:37 PM
I don't see Pohland opening his check book for Thome, unless they dump Hunter. I think this is a stupid rumor as well. It better be. Like all of you, I do NOT want Thome back in the AL. It's bad enough the Sox have to face even Mike Sweeney 19 times a year, bad back or not. It doesn't seem to phase him when he plays the Sox.

Professor
11-07-2005, 07:05 PM
This is one of those "rumors" that a silly BBWAA member dreams up. Sid Hartman; one of the more intolerable media schills for Pohlad and Selig (the Twins version of Phil Rogers). In reality, this deal has no chance of happening.

The only way I can see the Twins doing this, is if they trade Torii Hunter to the Phillies for Thome and if they each agree to pay each others contracts. That would work for the Twins, but I don't know why Philly would do it.

:cool:

Because they have Ryan Howard, who just won ROY and should be starting every game next season.

Tragg
11-07-2005, 07:47 PM
What would Konerko plus another 4 do to our offense versus, say, Konerko and a 3. I think I'd prefer the latter. Also, with Thome, you have 3 players who can do nothing but play first or DH.
I'd think about him if the market for Konerko is too hot; not that we won't be able to afford Konerko, but at some ridiculous 5/75, it would be an overall negative, imo.

antitwins13
11-07-2005, 08:43 PM
C'mon Kenny! go get him! :D:

The last thing we need is an expensive injury ridden 1st baseman at the end of his career. We already have one of those and his name if Frank Thomas and that's good enough for me.

Steelrod
11-08-2005, 01:08 AM

You are forgetting our having to sign Garland, Crede, Przcinski?, Cotts, not to mention all the other automatic increases in contracts!

doublem23
11-08-2005, 06:17 AM
The last thing we need is an expensive injury ridden 1st baseman at the end of his career. We already have one of those and his name if Frank Thomas and that's good enough for me.

Um, we don't have Frank Thomas, he is a free agent.

Randar68
11-08-2005, 11:24 AM
You are forgetting our having to sign Garland, Crede, Przcinski?, Cotts, not to mention all the other automatic increases in contracts!

Not forgetting any of that stuff. We broke it down in at least 1 other giant thread, contract by contract. It's very feasible.

I was trying to show how a #3 hitter+Konerko+Furcal would be doable for around 85 million. Adding Furcal to the mix basically required you to trade Rowand, Uribe, El Duque and perhaps Marte, but then it was all for around 85 million. If you don't want Furcal and don't want to trade any of those guys, you can still spend 10-12 million on a #3 hitter like Delgado, Thome, Helton, Giles and be at 85 million including raises.

soxfanatlanta
11-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Does anybody really know what the payroll budget is for 2006 and beoyond? I've been reading threads galore about not blowing the bank, I just want to know what the magic number is.

Just Wondering...

Randar68
11-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Does anybody really know what the payroll budget is for 2006 and beoyond? I've been reading threads galore about not blowing the bank, I just want to know what the magic number is.

Just Wondering...

:KW
:reinsy
"Only we know."

In reality, it isn't really set. The projection will be based on what they see as stable ticket revenue and whatever playoff revenues they wish to spend on salary.

It's just being estimated as an approximate 10 million dollar increase to around 85 million right now. Some think it will be 90-95, but for now 85 million seems like a good conservative assumption given the large increase in season tickets.

Ol' No. 2
11-08-2005, 04:34 PM
:KW
:reinsy
"Only we know."

In reality, it isn't really set. The projection will be based on what they see as stable ticket revenue and whatever playoff revenues they wish to spend on salary.

It's just being estimated as an approximate 10 million dollar increase to around 85 million right now. Some think it will be 90-95, but for now 85 million seems like a good conservative assumption given the large increase in season tickets.I think it's also a good idea to hold back a little to use in mid-season acquisitions. You never know when someone's going to go down with an injury and need to be replaced. As it turned out, they couldn't spend it last year because no one was trading, but I'd hate to have a gaping hole needing to be filled and be tapped out.

Optipessimism
11-08-2005, 04:46 PM
I think it's also a good idea to hold back a little to use in mid-season acquisitions. You never know when someone's going to go down with an injury and need to be replaced. As it turned out, they couldn't spend it last year because no one was trading, but I'd hate to have a gaping hole needing to be filled and be tapped out.

I'd hate to start the season with a gaping hole. Spend it all now if the opportunities are there and benefit the team. We have a good enough system to make a trade with an opposing team taking on a large portion of a contract at midseason if not eating it altogether. Besides, if the money is spent before the season begins and we have a successful offseason more tickets will be sold and even more season ticket plans. Better that than having a dismal offseason, not selling as many tickets, and then becoming desperate to make a deal to gain ground midseason.

Ol' No. 2
11-08-2005, 05:23 PM
I'd hate to start the season with a gaping hole. Spend it all now if the opportunities are there and benefit the team. We have a good enough system to make a trade with an opposing team taking on a large portion of a contract at midseason if not eating it altogether. Besides, if the money is spent before the season begins and we have a successful offseason more tickets will be sold and even more season ticket plans. Better that than having a dismal offseason, not selling as many tickets, and then becoming desperate to make a deal to gain ground midseason.I said hold back a little. I don't think $4-5M is going to fill a gaping hole before the season. But it can make a significant difference mid-season because you're only paying a half-season's contract...$5M can buy you a $10M player.

Foulke You
11-10-2005, 12:55 PM
I don't see Pohland opening his check book for Thome, unless they dump Hunter. I think this is a stupid rumor as well. It better be. Like all of you, I do NOT want Thome back in the AL. It's bad enough the Sox have to face even Mike Sweeney 19 times a year, bad back or not. It doesn't seem to phase him when he plays the Sox.
Don't forget, the Twins have the contracts of Joe Mays ($5 million) and Jacque Jones (3.6 million) off the books now. That frees up quite a bit of money to spend on Thome if the Phils are willing to eat a small portion of the contract just to get rid of him. I think the Twins would be crazy to trade a stud CF like Hunter for Thome but weirder things have happened. I guess it depends if the Phils are just looking to dump Thome's contract or actually try to get a quality guy or two in return.