PDA

View Full Version : Iguchi 4th

GoSoxGo
11-07-2005, 03:08 PM
Kind of disappointed that Iguchi only placed 4th in Rookie of the Year voting, but should have expected it I guess.

IlliniSox4Life
11-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Kind of disappointed that Iguchi only placed 4th in Rookie of the Year voting, but should have expected it I guess.

Well he only played a pivotol roll with the World Series Champions. The only other one who got votes to contribute to a playoff team was Cano (and he's on the beloved Yankees, good thing he was #2, we can say the Yankees have some good young talent). Cano only hit .014 higher than Gooch, but had one less home run and 9 less RBIs. Iguchi also had 14 more stolen bases (15 to 1) and 3 less errors (17 to 14). However his pinstripes were dark blue, which is a much nicer color than black.

IMO it shouldve been a toss up between Street and Iguchi.

tstrike2000
11-07-2005, 04:31 PM
As demonstrated by the Gold Glove awards this year, some past MVP's, and some past Cy Young winners, the most deserving people don't always get picked. Of course that's the case in just about any sport.

MHOUSE
11-07-2005, 04:45 PM
I was disappointed in Iguchi dropping all the way to 4th place in the ROTY voting. He had better numbers than Cano, led AL Rookies in several categories, and all the props to Street for being lights-out as a 22-year old closer, but I thought Iguchi far and away had a bigger impact on his team than any of the other candidates. To come into a new league on a new team in a new country and produce consistently for a playoff team (eventual World Series Champs) should give him the edge IMO. Ichiro and Matsui won coming over from Japan, so why should Iguchi be treated differently.

IlliniSox4Life
11-07-2005, 04:49 PM
I also don't see why Ryan Howard of the Phillies got it over Willie Tavares. His power numbers are much better, but seriously, Tavares helped his team more than Howard.

soxfanreggie
11-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Again, it's a case of what a person would rather have-a nice ring for your finger of a ROY trophy. I think that Gooch got the shaft, but I'm much happier that he has a WS title under his belt :cool:

A. Cavatica
11-07-2005, 05:15 PM
No argument about Street, he's a terrific pitcher.

Iguchi was definitely better than Cano this year, but Cano is a lot younger, and that's certainly worth a lot. Plus some voters just don't like giving the RoY to players with long track records overseas. I really think the Yankee bias was the least of the reasons Cano came in ahead of Iguchi.

socko82
11-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Tadahito actually got the second highest total of 1st place votes (5) he just didn't get very many 2nd and 3rd place votes. I agree that alot of writers refuse to vote for a player with 10 years experience in Japan unless he totally overwhelms everyone else or there are no other legit candidates. Neither was the case this year. Cano is an absolute butcher defensively..if he had played in Kansas City he wouldn't have been top 5...

The Wall
11-07-2005, 06:58 PM
I agree that Street is great and all...but how do you quantify his contributions vis-a-vis Iguchi's everyday job??

Street at best appears in 81 games which is nearly half the number of games that Iguchi gets into. Iguchi makes as many plays over the course of the season as Street makes pitches.

The award should not have gone to Street IMO. He did not pitch his team into the postseason. Ask Ozzie/any other Central division manager if Sox would be in ALDS if he didn't have Iguchi hitting 2nd and playing 2B.

soxfanatlanta
11-07-2005, 08:01 PM
I agree that Street is great and all...but how do you quantify his contributions vis-a-vis Iguchi's everyday job??

Street at best appears in 81 games which is nearly half the number of games that Iguchi gets into. Iguchi makes as many plays over the course of the season as Street makes pitches.

The award should not have gone to Street IMO. He did not pitch his team into the postseason. Ask Ozzie/any other Central division manager if Sox would be in ALDS if he didn't have Iguchi hitting 2nd and playing 2B.

I actually agreed with the voters for the winner. Street, although does not play every day, was invaluable to Oakland's playoff run this year. If Iguchi has a bad day, the other 8 players on the field can pick him up. If HS has a bad day, the A's more than likely lose the game, or burn the bullpen in extra innings. The league hit a paltry .184 against him, the guy was lights out.

The other good thing was that he was from the AL West, I'm glad the voters did not jump on the Cano bandwagon.

I'm sure Iguchi, who is the first Japanese player to get a ring, will get over not winning the ROTY award.

How do you say, "I got a ring...nah nah nah nah nah nah!" in Japanese?

PaleHoseGeorge
11-08-2005, 09:27 AM
This has become a bit of a joke. Cleveland's GM beats KW for Executive of the Year? Iguchi fourth for ROY? He was completely left off 20 of the 28 ballots!
:o:

Just forget about it. It's not the White Sox who need be embarrassed by these award presentations. The baseball writers once again prove themselves clueless barnicles.

bobowhite
11-08-2005, 10:50 AM
The other factor that probably affected a lot of this is that all of these awards are voted on before the playoffs begin. That means who ever made an end of the season push tends to get a huge advantage in the voting, not someone who swooned for awhile and then put things back together with two weeks left. Most writers seem to live in deathly fear of picking for a team that gets swept out of the playoffs and almost everybody had the White Sox folding to the mighty Red Sox. Everybody at ESPN certainly did.