PDA

View Full Version : No black jerseys for playoffs. Why?

skobabe8
11-07-2005, 02:12 AM
It just dawned on me that the black uni's were no where in site for the entire playoff run. Any theories? Interesting especially since they are worn so often during the regular season. I thought we would see them for sure after the game 1 ALCS loss to the Angels.

TheOldRoman
11-07-2005, 02:20 AM
Well, after game 1 onf the ALCS we switched from the sleeveless jerseys to the normal home jerseys.

As for the black jerseys, I was glad we didnt see them. I LOVE the black jerseys, but I think they are the worst of our jerseys. Not only that, but they are completely overdone during the regular season. They are alternates, and were meant to be worn 1 or 2 times a week. Earlier in the year, we were wearing them for a week and a half straight.
Also, remember that the Bulls never wore black during the playoffs. The black Bulls jerseys have always been hideous, but they were designed to make money. The NBA requires teams to wear alt jerseys at least 10 times a year. During the last threepeat (when they were introduced) the Bulls only wore them 10 times a year. Just enough so they could keep them for the next year and keep selling them.

Banix12
11-07-2005, 02:44 AM
The sox seemed to stick with one specific uniform while they were on a winning streak. I they must have had some superstition about it because they did it all season. Early in the season the Cutoffs were unlucky and the black jerseys were lucky, in the second half that seemed to switch.

They had two 8 game winning streaks stemming from the end of the season to the end of the world series and I think they only wore cutoffs for the first streak and switched to the regular home jerseys after that. I think if they had a second loss they would have switched to the black.

Soxfanspcu11
11-07-2005, 02:59 AM
If the Sox had decided to go with the blacks for game 2 of the ALCS and won like they did, I would assume that they would have worn them for the rest of the playoffs. During the season they seemed to stick with a certain jersey until they lost, then switched it up.

The Sox starting pitcher picks what jerseys they are going to wear so maybe it's possible that some of the Sox starters don't like a particular jersey. Just throwing this out here, but maybe Garcia doesn't like the "feel" of the sleeveless jerseys and feels he can pitch better with the sleeves. It's entirely possible considering it may be easier to get in, and stay in a groove with a particular jersey.

That being said, maybe MLB has some sort of rules pertaining to "alternate" jerseys in the post-season. However, as I type this, I remember Houston having the grey's on during game 1 and the red jerseys during game 2! So actually I have no idea!:?:

It was probably just a mixture of superstition and the pitcher's liking.

TheQuestion
11-07-2005, 03:27 AM
On a somewhat related note, my favorite uniform combo is when they wear the black jerseys with the pinstripe pants. I wish they'd wear that more often, it seems to be only one or two series a year now.

Steelrod
11-07-2005, 05:58 AM
I've always felt that the black jerseys give our guys a disadvantage. It seems to me that the more white you have on, the harder it is for the batter to pick up the ball. Especially if it crosses the visual plane of the pitchers body. Ever heard of a white hitter background?

Iguana775
11-07-2005, 07:13 AM
It just dawned on me that the black uni's were no where in site for the entire playoff run. Any theories? Interesting especially since they are worn so often during the regular season. I thought we would see them for sure after the game 1 ALCS loss to the Angels.

I could have sworn that they wore them at least once. maybe not.

ChiSoxGirl
11-07-2005, 08:26 AM

I'm glad you brought this up! I was talking to DieTrying79 last night and he was talking about what jersey he wants to buy, mentioning he really likes the black alternate. We got to discussing the Sox uniforms throughout the playoffs and I'd realized that, not once, did we see the black jerseys- it was all about the vests & home white pinstripes when they were at Comiskey, and the road grays when they were out of town.

As for why they did it that way, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they wanted to wear the white ones so the dirt from playing Grinder Ball would show up on t.v. better?? :?:

Iwritecode
11-07-2005, 09:43 AM
That being said, maybe MLB has some sort of rules pertaining to "alternate" jerseys in the post-season. However, as I type this, I remember Houston having the grey's on during game 1 and the red jerseys during game 2! So actually I have no idea!:?:

IIRC, Houston set a record for wearing 5 different uniform combinations in the playoffs.

It was probably just a mixture of superstition and the pitcher's liking.

More of the former IMO.

34 Inch Stick
11-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Softball season ended in September so the uniforms were put away.

LongLiveFisk
11-07-2005, 10:19 AM
It's all basically superstition...I remember back in '03 they wore the black jerseys exclusively for over a week when they were on a hot streak. And they wore them in the middle of summer when it was pretty hot, IIRC. :smile:

WestSox
11-07-2005, 10:28 AM
The sox seemed to stick with one specific uniform while they were on a winning streak. I they must have had some superstition about it because they did it all season. Early in the season the Cutoffs were unlucky and the black jerseys were lucky, in the second half that seemed to switch.

They had two 8 game winning streaks stemming from the end of the season to the end of the world series and I think they only wore cutoffs for the first streak and switched to the regular home jerseys after that. I think if they had a second loss they would have switched to the black.

Actually, their choice of jersey had nothing to do with their stellar playoff performance. It had everything to do with the fact that I watched all of the games from my left side of my couch, had the window behind me open, always wore my gray warmup pants, and drank Miller Lite (cans, no bottles). :wink:

Steelrod
11-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Actually, their choice of jersey had nothing to do with their stellar playoff performance. It had everything to do with the fact that I watched all of the games from my left side of my couch, had the window behind me open, always wore my gray warmup pants, and drank Miller Lite (cans, no bottles). :wink:
Me Too..

Suburbanbuddha
11-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Way back when the black jerseys were first introduced I thought they were just for Sunday games? Or am I remembering wrong?

Lip Man 1
11-07-2005, 11:15 AM
No you are not wrong that's why they were nicknamed the Sox, 'Black Sunday' uniform top.

Lip

Vernam
11-07-2005, 02:26 PM
It's all basically superstition...I remember back in '03 they wore the black jerseys exclusively for over a week when they were on a hot streak. And they wore them in the middle of summer when it was pretty hot, IIRC. :smile:I think it had something to do with AJ's OCD, per Reilly's article in SI.

Vernam

MiamiSpartan
11-08-2005, 08:50 AM
Teams always stick to the "lucky" jerseys. I had noticed that, too. In 03, the Marlins wore their black jerseys 90% of the time, because they won with them.