PDA

View Full Version : Turn off ESPN if you do not wish to puke.

It's Time
11-06-2005, 10:42 PM
They are about to hold a "fictional" off-season news conference in which Steve Phillips plays the role of GM for the Red Sox. Can these pukes just give it a rest?:o:

Very pathetic.

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Oh my, but are we sure that the guy who signed David Wells and Matt Clement last offseason WASN'T Steve Phillips? It definitely seemed like it...:wink:

spongyfungy
11-06-2005, 11:23 PM
they are doing other teams

With that in mind, it's doubly amusing that ESPN on Sunday starts a six-part series in which Phillips takes on the role of general manager of five teams. The series starts on the 10:30 p.m. Sunday SportsCenter with the Red Sox and continues at 10 p.m. nightly with the Yankees (Monday), Cubs (Tuesday), Astros (Wednesday), Dodgers (Thursday) and everybody else (Friday).

santo=dorf
11-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Don't forget Edgar Renteria, trading BYK for Charles Johnson only to release him and eat $7 million, John Halama, and Matt Mantei! How about giving up two pitchers for one inning of Mike Stanton?

:worship: Theo

OEO Magglio
11-06-2005, 11:26 PM
So does Phillips make horrible trades and free agent signings for these teams as well?

It's Time
11-06-2005, 11:37 PM

Stunning that they are doing the Red Sox, Yankees and Cubs.

****ing pukes!

cheeses_h_rice
11-06-2005, 11:56 PM

The series starts on the 10:30 p.m. Sunday SportsCenter with the Red Sox and continues at 10 p.m. nightly with the Yankees (Monday), Cubs (Tuesday), Astros (Wednesday), Dodgers (Thursday) and everybody else (Friday).

Why feature not one but TWO 4th place teams?!?

Jesus.

:rolleyes:

gf2020
11-07-2005, 12:03 AM
I guess I am a masochist because I am actually watching this.

The presentation is interesting, but the information is either obvious, old or crap. I mean, Steve mentioned the Yankees as a potential destination for Manny. How ridiculously stupid.

Chisox003
11-07-2005, 12:12 AM
I'm embarrassed that I watched that.

I'm embarrassed that I even have this channel on....

TERRIBLE
:puking: :nuts: :mg: :duck:

HotelWhiteSox
11-07-2005, 12:19 AM

LMAO at that thing you quoted, though it's true. "Tonight, the Yankees lost, the Red Sox lost, and Cubs lost, and everyone else was probably part of some sort of game".

I wonder if the closed captioning is in deep pink as a team would be downright stupid to even consider him to be their GM

Lip Man 1
11-07-2005, 01:13 AM
Just FYI, ESPN took coverage away from legitimate sports action that happened Sunday to show this garbage. For example, they had one highlight from the Bears / Saints game.

Here is what I sent to ESPN's omsbudsman:

Dear Sir:

As someone who has worked in the media since 1979, including 15 years in TV in three different markets, words fail to describe my feelings towards the Eastern Seaboard Programming Newtork (ESPN) and the farce that I just saw concerning your ‘simulated’ press conference.

Revolting, putrid and asinine though are pretty good starts.

You skip or reduce legitimate sports coverage in the time frame you have allowed in order to air this garbage.

ESPN was once a national standard for sports coverage, journalism and facts.....now it’s a bloated parody of what it once was... where ‘entertainment’ is the Holy Grail and ethics and journalistic standards have been dumped down the toilet.

You should be ashamed of what you have become. Unbelievable!

Mark Liptak

mliptak1@msn.com (mliptak1@msn.com)

If you wish to comment to George Solomon, here is his link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?id=2097428

Lip

Vernam
11-07-2005, 01:18 AM
So does Phillips make horrible trades and free agent signings for these teams as well?:roflmao:

In the spirit of equal time, I think the real GMs should get a chance to take Phillips' place as commentator for a day.

Vernam

Domeshot17
11-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Anyone else find it funny, we hear peter gammons and crew talk about how none of the teams like the Sox or Astros get respect because they and espn have forced the yanks and red sox down everyones throat for years, and for a few days I went, wow, maybe this win has started a changing of the tides.......

THEN ESPN TELLS WHITE SOX FANS THEY HAVE BEEN PUNK'D, AND CAN TUNE IN THE NEXT 3 DAYS TO SEE RED SOX YANKEES AND CUBS ROLEPLAYING.

I could role play much better than Phillips

Yankees and Red Sox: GET IN HUGE BIDDING WAR OVER (instert scrub pitcher here) AND PAYROLL RISES TO 300 mil and 200 mil respectively

Cubs: Sign Furcal to play short, Resign Burnitz, and decide 2006 also isnt the year to see what the rookies like Murton and Cedeno have, Cubs then Trade Murton for (insert this years Jody Gerut) and decide this is the year Corey Patterson comes into his own as a lead off hitter

thanks Ashton.

Mr. White Sox
11-07-2005, 03:35 AM
They are about to hold a "fictional" off-season news conference in which Steve Phillips plays the role of GM for the Red Sox. Can these pukes just give it a rest?:o:

Very pathetic.

I started laughing when I saw this setup. My roommate, an ESPN whore, looked at me with that "what's so funny?" expression.

I turned off SC before it got to this point, because I couldn't bear to watch what was about to occur. I'm glad I did.

Are you serious that there will be info on the Yankees, Cubs, Astros, Dodgers, and Red Sox, yet the Sox are cut out?

The Sox have a bigger predicament than the Yankees and Red Sox do (it's called "payroll restriction") and are a big-market team. Blatant bias, but guess what? I DON'T CARE!!!!

YOUR 2005 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX, *******S!

Banix12
11-07-2005, 04:38 AM
Just FYI, ESPN took coverage away from legitimate sports action that happened Sunday to show this garbage. For example, they had one highlight from the Bears / Saints game.

Here is what I sent to ESPN's omsbudsman:

Dear Sir:

As someone who has worked in the media since 1979, including 15 years in TV in three different markets, words fail to describe my feelings towards the Eastern Seaboard Programming Newtork (ESPN) and the farce that I just saw concerning your ‘simulated’ press conference.

Revolting, putrid and asinine though are pretty good starts.

You skip or reduce legitimate sports coverage in the time frame you have allowed in order to air this garbage.

ESPN was once a national standard for sports coverage, journalism and facts.....now it’s a bloated parody of what it once was... where ‘entertainment’ is the Holy Grail and ethics and journalistic standards have been dumped down the toilet.

You should be ashamed of what you have become. Unbelievable!

Mark Liptak

mliptak1@msn.com (mliptak1@msn.com)

If you wish to comment to George Solomon, here is his link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?id=2097428

Lip

You know he or somebody else there are just thinking to themselves, "I paid for the whole year of baseball analysis and I'm gonna get a whole year of baseball analysis, dagnabit!"

CanBuehrleWait
11-07-2005, 05:10 AM
Don't forget Edgar Renteria, trading BYK for Charles Johnson only to release him and eat $7 million, John Halama, and Matt Mantei! How about giving up two pitchers for one inning of Mike Stanton?

:worship: Theo

Nothing to add here... but love the signature :redneck

chaerulez
11-07-2005, 08:58 AM
Maybe it was all Philips' idea... he realized he will never be a GM in MLB again and decided to roleplay to see what it would be like again.

Whatever the reason they decided to air this, it's still crap.

samram
11-07-2005, 09:25 AM
an ESPN whore

Ha, I like that term. One of the new hires in our office is from Philly, and believes everything ESPN tells him. I notice most ESPN whores (and there are a lot, despite WSI's best efforts- if more people would just listen to us, damnit) are from the east coast.

Anyway, it's a stupid idea because they're asking advice from a guy who was a worse GM than the actual GMs for these teams. Well, except for DePodesta. Screw him.

HebrewHammer
11-07-2005, 10:56 AM
I guess Phillips is so desperate for work that he's pretending to be a GM.

spiffie
11-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Well, considering they chose a team who lost in the 1st rd with a $200 million plus payroll, a team who has $35 committed to 2 senior citizens (if Clemens signs again), a team looking to Matt Clement as a #1 starter, and a team who might finish last in their division next year, I'd say they're picking teams who need all the help they can get. Since really, what could he say for the White Sox..."Ummm...keep doing what you're doing." Let them talk about teams who don't have a GM with a clue.

ChiSoxRowand
11-07-2005, 02:46 PM
When I turned on SC and saw this, I thought Phillips was actually named GM of the Red Sox!:redface: I didn't think they were that stupid.

It's Time
11-07-2005, 03:06 PM
So it's the Yankees tonight and the Cubs tomorrow?

ESPN should change it's name to: YRCM. The Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs and Mets chanel. The WS is not even 2 weeks over and already the "main" teams are getting over the top pub.:rolleyes:

It's Time
11-07-2005, 05:43 PM
The Yankees are on now.:rolleyes:

WhiteSox16K
11-07-2005, 05:47 PM
I didn't see the Red Sox yesterday, but seeing the Yankees today, this is beyond the hokiest thing I have ever seen. The only way to explain this is:
:chunks

It's Time
11-07-2005, 05:49 PM
I didn't see the Red Sox yesterday, but seeing the Yankees today, this is beyond the hokiest thing I have ever seen. The only way to explain this is:
:chunks

It gets better. Tomorrow, the Cubs are featured.:rolleyes:

lumpyspun
11-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Maybe I'm a moron, but what is the point of these fake press conferences. It almost looks like its going to break out to be a Saturday Night Live skit at any moment, but it never does...I sat there for five minutes after the Red Sox one was over and wondered if I had just missed the point. Then I talked to a Red Sox friend of mine who agreed that it was the worst thing ESPN has ever done.

It's Time
11-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Maybe I'm a moron, but what is the point of these fake press conferences. It almost looks like its going to break out to be a Saturday Night Live skit at any moment, but it never does...I sat there for five minutes after the Red Sox one was over and wondered if I had just missed the point. Then I talked to a Red Sox friend of mine who agreed that it was the worst thing ESPN has ever done.

Rating for the Yankees, Red Sox and the Cubs. What else?

Tragg
11-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Steve Phillips has a lot of experience impersonating a general manager.

Mr. White Sox
11-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Steve Phillips has a lot of experience impersonating a general manager.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:gpuK-tsclMcJ:www.kenschaefer.com/spyder/pics/StencilUpload/zing.jpg

hellenicsoxfan
11-07-2005, 08:59 PM
So ESPN, which has become nothing more than a simulated sports station, has a simulated GM making simulated trades and signings. No wonder they're doing the Cubs, seeing how their pitchers throw more simulated games than real ones.

Brian26
11-07-2005, 09:08 PM
a team looking to Matt Clement as a #1 starter

In hindsight, the Red Sox never really had a chance. You can't replace a healthy Schilling, Pedro, and Lowe with Matt Clement and expect to go far in the playoffs.

RKMeibalane
11-07-2005, 09:36 PM
This is as close to another GM job as Phillips will ever get. The man had a New York sized payroll with the Mets, and he ran that franchise into the ground within two seasons of reaching the World Series.

tstrike2000
11-07-2005, 10:32 PM
I say we stop making threads about anything to do with ESPN baseball coverage or analysis.

SoxSpeed22
11-07-2005, 10:47 PM
I say we stop making threads about anything to do with ESPN baseball coverage or analysis.Or better yet, make all of them ****house bound.

ndgt10
11-08-2005, 08:40 AM
The reporters look ridiculous jumping up and down begging for phillips to call on them. These people need a real job.

SoXPriDe33
11-08-2005, 08:44 AM
This is a stupid idea by ESPN once again. The reporters jumping up and down to get a question answered was ridiculous. I changed the channel about 2 minutes into it.

Lip Man 1
11-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Those with complaints need to send an e-mail to George Solomon, the ESPN omsbudsman. The link is in this thread.

With respect, complaining about it here changes nothing. Talking to him, may institute change.

Lip

doublem23
11-08-2005, 01:44 PM
With respect, complaining about it here changes nothing. Talking to him, may institute change.

With all due respect, Lip, I doubt it. You know as well as I that for every intelligent sports fan out there who thinks this whole thing is a complete sham, there's at least 10 (a) Red Sox, Yankees, or Cub fans whacking off to more publicity about there team or (b) other morons just waiting to hear the latest from T.O. and Drew Rosenhaus.

:(:

MiamiSpartan
11-08-2005, 07:38 PM
I wanna see the one where he "pretends" to be GM for the Mets and starts sexually harrassing the young pretty office workers...:D: