PDA

View Full Version : Brewers GM gets three year extension

Banix12
11-06-2005, 09:31 PM
I didn't see this anywhere here but the Brewers have signed GM Doug Melvin to a new contract extension that will last through 2009. There was report that Melvin was one of the people the Red Sox were considering to replace Theo, this puts that rumor to bed.

Great for the Brewers, Melvin has surely been one of the key figures in their turnaround.

Story (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9025625)

soxfanreggie
11-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Yeah, he's slowly but surely amassing a good deal of talent up there. Weeks has solid potential at 2B. Lee was a good acquistion for them and gives them them a key power hitter to pair with Overbay. And they got rid of the "volcano" as they call him (Viz).

Also, with Yount rejoining the Brew Crew, that will definitely please the fans. If only they could get Rollie Fingers to work as a coach too...

Good for him getting that extension.

NardiWasHere
11-06-2005, 11:46 PM
Melvin seems like a good guy everytime I see or hear him being interviewed. Congrats, Brew Crew. I think they got a good chance to sneak into the playoffs via WC next year.

fquaye149
11-07-2005, 12:17 AM
Yeah, he's slowly but surely amassing a good deal of talent up there. Weeks has solid potential at 2B. Lee was a good acquistion for them and gives them them a key power hitter to pair with Overbay. And they got rid of the "volcano" as they call him (Viz).

Also, with Yount rejoining the Brew Crew, that will definitely please the fans. If only they could get Rollie Fingers to work as a coach too...

Good for him getting that extension.

Weeks has "solid potential" the way Prior has "solid potential."

Jjav829
11-07-2005, 12:45 AM

Huh? What the hell does that mean? :?:

Banix12
11-07-2005, 12:57 AM

I'm trying to figure out exactly what this means and why it's an insult.

If it were not for some freak injuries I would say Prior is already well past the potential stage. We know that he can pitch in the major leagues and pitch well.

Weeks hit 13 HRs in half a season as a rookie. Sure his defense and average left much to be desired but again he is a rookie and there are bound to be some growing pains.

fquaye149
11-07-2005, 08:29 AM
perhaps I was unclear. Let's try again with a person with less negative connotations on this board

Weeks has solid potential the way Brandon McCarthy has solid potential.

I am taking issue with saying one of the top prospects in baseball, one who has proven himself at the major league level, has "solid" potential.

JohnBasedowYoda
11-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Great for the Brewers, Melvin has surely been one of the key figures in their turnaround.

I'm glad i'm not a fan of a team where a .500 finish would be considered a turnaround

fquaye149
11-07-2005, 06:25 PM
I'm glad i'm not a fan of a team where a .500 finish would be considered a turnaround

Well, it has been a rough decade or two for the Brewers, but all Melvin can do is put them in good position to contend, something he has done, in my opinion.

thepaulbowski
11-09-2005, 07:52 AM
Melvin has done a great job buidling from within. Kudos to the Brew crew.

illinibk
11-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Yeah, he's slowly but surely amassing a good deal of talent up there. Weeks has solid potential at 2B. Lee was a good acquistion for them and gives them them a key power hitter to pair with Overbay.
Overbay's days in Milwaukee are numbered. With Prince Fielder major league ready, I find it very hard to believe they wouldn't put him in the line-up regularly.

OzzyTrain
11-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Well its been how many years since the Brewers had a winning season ( over .500 ) ?

The Racehorse
11-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Well its been how many years since the Brewers had a winning season ( over .500 ) ?

Their last winning season was 1992; 92 wins, 70 losses, .568 winning pct.