PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben

leens01
11-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Does anyone know what ever happened to Ben Davis? He seemed to just disappear.

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-06-2005, 09:20 PM
After losing the back up catcher spot to Widger, he was sent to AAA-Charlotte, where he played until June and underwent Tommy John surgery.

Chisox003
11-06-2005, 09:26 PM
I've read on several occasions during the past 2 weeks on WSI from people who have "sources" (airport cell phones) that Big Ben will be involved in a trade with Marte and Borchard to acquire Alex Rodriguez and Robinson Cano. But I ask you this: Where will they play?

:moonwalk:

soxfanreggie
11-06-2005, 10:37 PM
With re-signing Widge, look for Big Ben to be elsewhere next season, unless the Sox can sign him to a cheap minor league deal.

Banix12
11-06-2005, 10:38 PM
I've read on several occasions during the past 2 weeks on WSI from people who have "sources" (airport cell phones) that Big Ben will be involved in a trade with Marte and Borchard to acquire Alex Rodriguez and Robinson Cano. But I ask you this: Where will they play?

:moonwalk:
I heard he was a throw in the Felix Diaz for Carlos Delgado trade.

I can watch that dancin' banana all day.

caulfield12
11-07-2005, 10:03 AM
With re-signing Widge, look for Big Ben to be elsewhere next season, unless the Sox can sign him to a cheap minor league deal.

They also have Raul Casanova...not sure if they will keep him in AAA or he will sign elsewhere for an opportunity at a roster spot.

He is a great defender and seemed to get along very well with all the Hispanic players on the team.

Madvora
11-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Ah Ben Davis... a million dollars well spent.

Chicken Dinner
11-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Ah Ben Davis... a million dollars well spent.

Not one of Kenny's smartest moves......1 million dollars......WOW!

caulfield12
11-07-2005, 10:24 AM

You have to keep in mind he performed very well for the White Sox (remember he was hitting so poorly in Seattle that he was sent to the minors┐) for a stretch, he was hitting .400 for quite some time.

Before we acquired AJ, we had NO OTHER options at catcher besides Jamie Burke, who everyone knew was not a full-time catcher at the big league level.

It was a good example of at least having one bird in hand instead of ending up going into 2005 with nothing. If KW would have had the money to spend on fifth starters (something like $2-3 million extra) in 2002 and 2003, things might have turned out very differently for the Sox during those seasons...although I have my doubts with Manuel as manager.

Crede_Fan
11-07-2005, 10:28 AM

He came in the deal that got us Freddy, right? So I think it was a pretty smart move!

Madvora
11-07-2005, 10:33 AM
You have to keep in mind he performed very well for the White Sox (remember he was hitting so poorly in Seattle that he was sent to the minors┐) for a stretch, he was hitting .400 for quite some time.

Davis hit .231 for the Sox last year in 54 games. He had 6 home runs and 16 RBI.
The truth is that he is BAD. I can't believe that KW thought Burke was such a bad replacement that he would pay this guy one million dollars.
Anyway, who cares. We won the World Series!

Madvora
11-07-2005, 10:34 AM
He came in the deal that got us Freddy, right? So I think it was a pretty smart move!
Yeah, but the million dollars came after that. He was resigned for that amount.

JimH
11-07-2005, 10:43 AM
They declined his option at $1.3 million and quickly re-signed him for $1 million. Remember this was before things got serious with Pierzynski and it was obviously before Widger had a great spring training and took the backup job away.

If he hadn't re-signed Davis, people here would have screamed at the time. I remember there was a huge uproar when they declined the option, people thought Williams was leaving himself wide open.

It was not a bad move by Williams at all, it ensured they had depth at catcher. Then Davis got hurt, and that was that.

caulfield12
11-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Davis hit .231 for the Sox last year in 54 games. He had 6 home runs and 16 RBI.
The truth is that he is BAD. I can't believe that KW thought Burke was such a bad replacement that he would pay this guy one million dollars.
Anyway, who cares. We won the World Series!

Okay, fine, that projects to 18 homers and 48 RBI┤s over a full season, which is not too much different than what AJ did, minus about 10 RBI┤s.

It certainly was not the worst move of all-time. Davis proved that he had at least had the ability to hit major league pitching again last season, that maybe things were turning around for him mentally. Everyone knew he was a very good defensive presence behind the plate. Burke struggled to hit .220 in Charlotte and was a career minor leaguer. At least Davis had the pedigree...the Sox have wasted more money on numerous occasions, like Jaime Navarro.

I did not disagree with the move at the time, and do not now.

Madvora
11-07-2005, 10:55 AM
This is a hilarious topic to be arguing in the off season.

caulfield12
11-07-2005, 11:05 AM
This is a hilarious topic to be arguing in the off season.

I guess we are all waiting for the first real news of the offseason...Konerko┤s situation, Thomas coming back or not, El Duque, Marte or Willie Harris.

Nothing else interesting has happened yet.

4th Gen. Sox Fan
11-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Don't forget that it was Davis who got the hit against the Indians in 2004 that allowed Hawk to say "COME ON TIMO, COME ON TIMO, COME ON TIMO, COME ON TIMO, the throw to the plate SAFE"

Banix12
11-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Okay, fine, that projects to 18 homers and 48 RBI┤s over a full season, which is not too much different than what AJ did, minus about 10 RBI┤s.

It certainly was not the worst move of all-time. Davis proved that he had at least had the ability to hit major league pitching again last season, that maybe things were turning around for him mentally. Everyone knew he was a very good defensive presence behind the plate. Burke struggled to hit .220 in Charlotte and was a career minor leaguer. At least Davis had the pedigree...the Sox have wasted more money on numerous occasions, like Jaime Navarro.

I did not disagree with the move at the time, and do not now.

You can't look at sum totals and averages when judging the bat of Ben Davis. Check his stats throughout his career, month by month, and you will see a trend where Ben Davis tears the cover off the ball for about a 1 month stretch every season. The rest of the year he is usually a .200 hitter, sometimes worse.

What we saw last year was exactly what Ben Davis does. One month of incredible offense and horrible the rest of the time. He's never been a consistant enough hitter to keep those good stretches going. That is the reason why he is a career .230 something hitter and has never able to retain a starting job, or backup job for that matter.

It's was not the worst move, he's an average defensive catcher and there were no other realistic options available within the system.

I'm just so glad that he's gone though and the Jaime Burke vs. Ben Davis preseason argument was answered with Chris Widger.