PDA

View Full Version : Shoddy materials / worksmanship from MLB?

StillMissOzzie
11-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. My WS05 hat is falling apart already. Take your hat off for a second and follow along with this. That semi-circle piece that looks like a globe with SOX on it directly above the "WORLD 05" line is actually a sepearate piece of material. My guess is that it's made this way to drop in an Astro-centric logo on the (unlikely) chance that they won the WS. However, my Sox/globe piece has already fallen off! I can't blame this on a knockoff/counterfeit maker, 'cuz I ordered this on MLB.com the night the Sox won Game #4.

So what should I do? It appears that there's some sort of adhesive on the back of the globe piece-maybe it wasn't ironed on hot enough/long enough? Should I take a hot iron to it (with a cover cloth, of course)? Or should I just use some glue to stick it back on myself? HELP!!!

SMO
:angry: :mad: :whiner:

mike squires
11-06-2005, 08:55 PM
I bought one only to put on my shelf with the rest of my Sox memorbillia but was thinking about getting another one to wear more often. I might think twice if this is a common problem.

JUribe1989
11-06-2005, 08:59 PM
That happened to myself and 2 of my friends. It also happened in 2003 on my Marlins champions hat. I suggest sewing it on.

mike squires
11-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Geez, for something that cost almost 30 bucks and licesnsed be MLB, you would think you'd be getting something with better quality.

I suggest wearing it sparingly or just display it.

richb2
11-06-2005, 09:13 PM
i have no problems with mine so far knock on wood

beckett21
11-06-2005, 09:15 PM
If it's the one I am thinking of, I purposely didn't buy one of those hats because when I took a close look at the patch, it looked like something that was put on in a 3rd-grade art class. Just a cheap piece of felt that looked like it was going to fall off in a stiff wind.

I'd try to contact MLB.com and complain, see if they give you any satisfaction. I'd ask to return it for a new one. It hasn't even been 30 days yet for cripes sake.

EDIT: I may be thinking of a different hat. I do have the New Era World Series champions hat that is black/gray, with the WS05 on the back of the hat. If that's the one you're talking about, I haven't had any problems with it but I haven't worn it more than 2 or 3 times.

Either way, I'd still complain to someone. There is probably a phone number on your invoice assuming you still have it.

soxfan26
11-06-2005, 09:37 PM
My Dad picked me up the white long sleeve AL Champions shirt. I wore it once - game 4 of the World Series - It absorbed a bit of champagne that night so I washed it the next day, and yes I followed the care instructions :tongue:.

It went in the wash an XL and came out a M. :angry: Well at least the wife can wear it...

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-2322641dt.jpg

Garland_IS_God
11-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. My WS05 hat is falling apart already. Take your hat off for a second and follow along with this. That semi-circle piece that looks like a globe with SOX on it directly above the "WORLD 05" line is actually a sepearate piece of material. My guess is that it's made this way to drop in an Astro-centric logo on the (unlikely) chance that they won the WS. However, my Sox/globe piece has already fallen off! I can't blame this on a knockoff/counterfeit maker, 'cuz I ordered this on MLB.com the night the Sox won Game #4.

So what should I do? It appears that there's some sort of adhesive on the back of the globe piece-maybe it wasn't ironed on hot enough/long enough? Should I take a hot iron to it (with a cover cloth, of course)? Or should I just use some glue to stick it back on myself? HELP!!!

SMO

Im looking at my hat right now and that patch that looks like the globe was put on crooked. It's not even close to being level. Im majorly ticked off!! :angry:

patbooyah
11-06-2005, 10:05 PM
i didn't realize that on the ALCS and WS pins the team hats are just stickers. my angels hat is coming off my ALCS pin. :angry:

whitesoxwilkes
11-06-2005, 10:21 PM
My Dad picked me up the white long sleeve AL Champions shirt. I wore it once - game 4 of the World Series - It absorbed a bit of champagne that night so I washed it the next day, and yes I followed the care instructions :tongue:.

It went in the wash an XL and came out a M. :angry: Well at least the wife can wear it...

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-2322641dt.jpg

Uh oh. I have the same shirt, and it's in the hamper right now.

Will let you know the outcome.

soxfanreggie
11-06-2005, 10:26 PM
After running a shirt I got that was MLB licensed through the wash, it came out with a hole in it. I looked at where the hole was and it was at a seam. Showed it to a friend and she said it was shoddy sewing, but she would try to fix it for me. MLB is really dropping the ball here. They don't make stuff like they used to. However, she's getting some fabric for me and making me my own WS pillow.

koch44
11-06-2005, 10:33 PM

I had the same problem with the shirt that has all the players jerseys on them.:angry:

mike squires
11-06-2005, 10:45 PM
I try to not put any of my jersey's or shirts in the dryer. Put them on a hanger and let them air dry.

kninchicago
11-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Also wash them in cold regardless of if it says to use warm or hot.

Steelrod
11-07-2005, 11:39 AM

SMO
Same here

Unregistered
11-07-2005, 11:56 AM
i didn't realize that on the ALCS and WS pins the team hats are just stickers. my angels hat is coming off my ALCS pin. :angry:Yeah, I got mine on Friday and it's just a ****ing felt sticker slapped onto the side - it looks cheap as hell. I guess I'm the dumbass who thought it would be embroidered - or at least a sown on embroidered patch..

Anyway - I just ripped it off, as it was coming off anyway. Well, half of it ripped off easily - the other half, of course, was stuck on like crazy glue. Long story short, after taking soap, paint thinner and a sharpie pen, I'm the proud owner of another Sox hat. :angry:

Chicken Dinner
11-07-2005, 12:15 PM
You don't really think that this stuff is made by people that actually speak English do you?? I would be very surprised if you could find a "Made in the USA" tag on anything. Sad.

celicacutie
11-07-2005, 01:18 PM
888-MLB-SHOP

I am going to call because my women's hat arrived dirty and didn't even have the official mlb sticker. The hat was just thrown in a box (no packing materials) so that is how it got all dirty. I am very unhappy.

PKalltheway
11-07-2005, 01:36 PM
I recently ordered a world champions official locker room shirt from mlb.com last week. I recieved the shirt two days after I ordered it and I promptly noticed that it was not made by Lee Sport but by some cheap company called Delta Pro-Magnum (the same company from which I got my free Cincinnati Reds t-shirt, two free Milwaukee Brewers t-shirts, and one free White Sox t-shirt) and I also discovered that it was not 100% Cotton but 90% Cotton and 10% Polyester. That automatically told me two things. One was to air dry the shirt after every wash and two, we're getting ripped off. We're paying 25 dollars for what we think are authentic shirts, but we are getting stuff that probably didn't take fifty cents to make. They just bought a bunch of gray t-shirts from some company and just printed the graphics on each shirt. The shirt defiantely did not shrink after air drying it so here's some good advice Sox fans: If you buy any type of World Series Champions t-shirt, any type, air dry it! You'll be saving yourself money and a lot of frustration in the process!

russ99
11-07-2005, 02:01 PM
I think I'll go to Grandstand to get all my Championship gear. That way I can see what I'm buying and support a local business.

PKalltheway
11-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Wish I could just go to a store and get White Sox championship gear. I live in Cincinnati and I can't get anything beyond a regular Sox cap...

kitekrazy
11-07-2005, 02:42 PM
I haven't bought any of it. I'll wait awhile because so much of it is over priced. The regular Sox gear is great looking as it is.

I wouldn't mind on of those Sox jackets that they wore in the ALCS. Those look great.

mccoydp
11-07-2005, 02:51 PM
You don't really think that this stuff is made by people that actually speak English do you?? I would be very surprised if you could find a "Made in the USA" tag on anything. Sad.

What the hell does that have anything to do with any of this?

EDIT: Ugh, I don't need to start anything with my other comments.

JorgeFabregas
11-07-2005, 03:03 PM
I think the problem with the quality has very little to do with the language spoken by the factory workers, but rather the age of said factory workers and working conditions. MLB has to strike while the iron is hot, here, to make their money.

I am highly surprised that clothing made by 12 year-olds working 18-hour days is substandard.

mccombe_35
11-07-2005, 05:53 PM
I got the World Series Champ. hat a week ago & no problems yet. But the flag i got for my car didn't last the 10 minute trip home from Sportmart.

Mots09
11-07-2005, 06:37 PM
I haven't even recieved anything that I ordered from MLB.com yet... I ordered it last Monday. :angry:

Ishmookie
11-07-2005, 10:10 PM
my patch fell off too but i used krazy glue so hopefully it'll stay on now, very cheap but thats how all champuionship hats are. They have a patch with the winnijng team and the rest is generic.

kjkobs
11-07-2005, 10:18 PM
I haven't even recieved anything that I ordered from MLB.com yet... I ordered it last Monday. :angry:

Orders from mlb.com take forever to ship because everything is allegedly on backorder.

I ordered a bunch of items the night they won the ALCS and it didn't arrive until the day after the Sox won the WS.

I also ordered a bunch of WS items the night they won the WS, but I got fed up and cancelled my order. MLB.com says all orders are final but if the status of your order is a backorder, you can cancel.

I was able to find all my WS items near my home at the same or even cheaper prices.

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-07-2005, 10:40 PM
I recently ordered a world champions official locker room shirt from mlb.com last week. I recieved the shirt two days after I ordered it and I promptly noticed that it was not made by Lee Sport but by some cheap company called Delta Pro-Magnum (the same company from which I got my free Cincinnati Reds t-shirt, two free Milwaukee Brewers t-shirts, and one free White Sox t-shirt) and I also discovered that it was not 100% Cotton but 90% Cotton and 10% Polyester. That automatically told me two things. One was to air dry the shirt after every wash and two, we're getting ripped off. We're paying 25 dollars for what we think are authentic shirts, but we are getting stuff that probably didn't take fifty cents to make. They just bought a bunch of gray t-shirts from some company and just printed the graphics on each shirt. The shirt defiantely did not shrink after air drying it so here's some good advice Sox fans: If you buy any type of World Series Champions t-shirt, any type, air dry it! You'll be saving yourself money and a lot of frustration in the process!
I noticed that too. :angry: The quality difference between my ALCS locker room shirt that was actually made by Lee compared to the WS locker room shirt from the cheap-o brand is astounding, and the absurd thing is I paid $4 less for the Lee ALCS shirt.

koch44
11-07-2005, 11:35 PM
I noticed that too. :angry: The quality difference between my ALCS locker room shirt that was actually made by Lee compared to the WS locker room shirt from the cheap-o brand is astounding, and the absurd thing is I paid $4 less for the Lee ALCS shirt.

There's something fishy about this. All of my locker room shirts are made by Lee.:?: The one that's made by a cheap company is the one with all the players jerseys on it.

IronFisk
11-07-2005, 11:47 PM

Davenport eh? I think you should've just taken a few hours to get over to Grandstand - even WITH the gas you would have saved money...and TIME :redneck

To be honest, I have steered clear of most of this crap. I took a good look at that hat, and once I saw that "patch", I turned away. Besides, the Sox logo is so freakin small!

I actually had my eye on a pin, but that too looked like junk. A HUGE WS logo with the Sox logo in the middle, and yes, once again small. Oh yeah, it was crooked as well.

I'm just holding off. We'll be World Champs in a few months too, right?

StillMissOzzie
11-08-2005, 01:17 AM
Thanks for all of your comments, input, and personal observations. I have decided that, since I was fortunate enough not to have thrown out the box or invoice yet, to send the piece of **** back to the MLB.com Store and either get another hat or a refund credit to by card. I figured that MLB.com should be told, on the off chance that they don't know already, that they're selling crap and they should be expecting more than me to not be completely satisfied within 30 days (hey, I made it 30 HOURS) and to ask for their money back.

Besides, Sports Authority now has 30% off on any stuff remaining...

I'll keep you all informed with what happens.

SMO
:gulp:

whitesoxwilkes
11-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Uh oh. I have the same shirt, and it's in the hamper right now.

Will let you know the outcome.

UPDATE: Said shirt was washed in warm water, tumbled dry, and didn't shrink at all.

:bandance:

C-Dawg
11-08-2005, 12:08 PM
UPDATE: Said shirt was washed in warm water, tumbled dry, and didn't shrink at all.

:bandance:

I haven't had any trouble with mine either - I bought one to wear and one to save.

I was wondering: What's underneath the Sox logo on the hats? I'm assuming its a blank area, but imagine if it was a Red Sox logo or some other team; then we'd know for sure we caught everyone by surprise!

celicacutie
11-08-2005, 12:32 PM
I just got off the phone with mlb and all I can do is return my dirty hat and order another :(

I have the WS DVD on order (backorder)...I am wondering if I should cancel and if stores would have something like this in stock.

soxfan26
11-08-2005, 12:33 PM
I haven't had any trouble with mine either - I bought one to wear and one to save.

Mine is warped! Why do I always get a warped one? :mad: :D:

Stroker Ace
11-08-2005, 01:20 PM
I recently ordered a world champions official locker room shirt from mlb.com last week. I recieved the shirt two days after I ordered it and I promptly noticed that it was not made by Lee Sport but by some cheap company called Delta Pro-Magnum (the same company from which I got my free Cincinnati Reds t-shirt, two free Milwaukee Brewers t-shirts, and one free White Sox t-shirt) and I also discovered that it was not 100% Cotton but 90% Cotton and 10% Polyester. That automatically told me two things. One was to air dry the shirt after every wash and two, we're getting ripped off. We're paying 25 dollars for what we think are authentic shirts, but we are getting stuff that probably didn't take fifty cents to make. They just bought a bunch of gray t-shirts from some company and just printed the graphics on each shirt. The shirt defiantely did not shrink after air drying it so here's some good advice Sox fans: If you buy any type of World Series Champions t-shirt, any type, air dry it! You'll be saving yourself money and a lot of frustration in the process!Another reason to not use the dryer is that the printing on the shirt begins to crack and peel after a few washings. Same goes for any jerseys with printed numbers.

WhiteSox16K
11-08-2005, 02:06 PM
There's something fishy about this. All of my locker room shirts are made by Lee.:?: The one that's made by a cheap company is the one with all the players jerseys on it.

This is quite odd. My World Series and AL Central Champs locker room shirts are made by Lee, but then the AL Champs locker room shirt is made by Alstyle Appearal & Activewear. :dunno:

mrfourni
11-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Does everyone realize how great a problem this is to have?

maurice
11-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Sports Authority now has 30% off on any stuff remaining...

The one downtown has tons of stuff left over. As a bonus, you get to examine it before purchasing. Lots of the lockerroom hats have crooked logos.

hi im skot
11-08-2005, 06:56 PM

if it matters anymore, dick's sporting goods on elmore had a pretty good number of the world champion hats right when you walk into the store. that's where i got mine, and so far, so good. :)

samram
11-08-2005, 07:58 PM

I ordered stuff last Monday as well, and it didn't ship until today. Oddly, it shipped two hours after I wrote them an email asking why they had located the item in stock last Monday and it hadn't shipped yet. I wish any store down here carried something besides Panthers, UNC, and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. crap.

nccwsfan
11-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Got my hat today :D: . The logo's a little bit crooked but not enough for anyone to really notice. The 'Sox' logo slapped on is probably the only thing that looks a little funny, otherwise it turned out OK.

StillMissOzzie, good luck with returning your stuff- hopefully they take care of you and you get what you're looking for....

Brian26
11-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Another reason to not use the dryer is that the printing on the shirt begins to crack and peel after a few washings. Same goes for any jerseys with printed numbers.

A simple secret to prolong the life of these type of shirts is to wash them inside out.

Brian26
11-08-2005, 10:10 PM
I was excited when I got home tonight and had a package waiting for me. I had ordered a Large Sox playoff hoodie off MLB.com. When I opened the box, it was a 2XL. After three separate calls to their customer service line, I finally have the correct size being shipped (another 7-10 day wait), while they are also sending me a return-delivery slip so I don't have to pay for shipping on this return. They seem to make a lot of mistakes on the deliveries, but their customer service always goes out of their way to correct the mistake. Sort of frustrating though.

Hendu
11-08-2005, 10:14 PM
I got the official championship hat too, but mine has held up thus far. However, I can't believe that the Sox logo is just a glued-on patch, and not sewed-on. And they charge $28 for this?

My wife got a black alternate version of the championship hat and the quality looks so much better than the official one. Firstly, the Sox logo is bigger and more visible. Secondly, it's all one patch, so no risk of anything coming apart.

AZSoxFAN
11-09-2005, 03:41 PM

SMO

My 01 DBack championship "locker room" hat also has the DBack logo glued on a generic WS championship hat. It's lasted four years, and now will be replaced permanently with the long-awaited Sox version. :D: