PDA

View Full Version : Ken Rosenthal's veiw

Daver
12-15-2001, 01:52 PM
Of the Erstad trade.

Ken Rosenthal
The Sporting News

BOSTON -- White Sox general manager Ken Williams stood in the lobby of the Boston Sheraton on Tuesday night, trying to contain his excitement. Williams sensed that he was on the verge of a major deal, and though he wouldn't disclose the particulars, he could barely suppress a smile.

Williams was on the verge of a major deal -- righthander Jon Garland, outfielder Chris Singleton and two minor leaguers to the Angels for outfielder Darin Erstad. But the trade collapsed Wednesday night because it was vetoed by Angels ownership, White Sox sources said.

What were the Angels thinking?

Erstad, 28, is virtually certain to depart as a free agent at the end of next season. Garland, 22, is a potential top-of-the-rotation starter. Singleton, 29, is a serviceable center fielder. And the two minor leaguers, presumably mid-level prospects, should only have added to the package's appeal.

Even with Erstad, the Angels won't reach the postseason. They would have been fine with an outfield of Singleton, Tim Salmon and Garrett Anderson. Garland would have joined what already is one of the most talented rotations in the league and remained under the Angels' control for the next five years.

Erstad, meanwhile, would have fulfilled the White Sox's need for a leadoff hitter/center fielder. His combined on-base/slugging percentage (OPS) dropped from .950 in 2000 to .691 last season, but his off-year likely was an aberration. He would have made the White Sox the team to beat in the AL Central.

The moment Disney sells the Angels the better. Ownership rejected a trade that arguably was in its favor, a trade that its general manager, Bill Stoneman, wanted to make. Just call it Chapter 612 in that long-running saga, "Why the Angels have never made it to the World Series

AsInWreck
12-15-2001, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by daver
Of the Erstad trade.
what were the Angels thinking?

The moment Disney sells the Angels the better. Ownership rejected a trade that arguably was in its favor, a trade that its general manager, Bill Stoneman, wanted to make. Just call it Chapter 612 in that long-running saga, "Why the Angels have never made it to the World Series

A part of any GM's job ethos should be to never,ever reject of a trade offer from KW.

"That don't make no sense"

Bmr31
12-16-2001, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by daver
Of the Erstad trade.

Ken Rosenthal
The Sporting News

BOSTON -- White Sox general manager Ken Williams stood in the lobby of the Boston Sheraton on Tuesday night, trying to contain his excitement. Williams sensed that he was on the verge of a major deal, and though he wouldn't disclose the particulars, he could barely suppress a smile.

Williams was on the verge of a major deal -- righthander Jon Garland, outfielder Chris Singleton and two minor leaguers to the Angels for outfielder Darin Erstad. But the trade collapsed Wednesday night because it was vetoed by Angels ownership, White Sox sources said.

What were the Angels thinking?

Erstad, 28, is virtually certain to depart as a free agent at the end of next season. Garland, 22, is a potential top-of-the-rotation starter. Singleton, 29, is a serviceable center fielder. And the two minor leaguers, presumably mid-level prospects, should only have added to the package's appeal.

Even with Erstad, the Angels won't reach the postseason. They would have been fine with an outfield of Singleton, Tim Salmon and Garrett Anderson. Garland would have joined what already is one of the most talented rotations in the league and remained under the Angels' control for the next five years.

Erstad, meanwhile, would have fulfilled the White Sox's need for a leadoff hitter/center fielder. His combined on-base/slugging percentage (OPS) dropped from .950 in 2000 to .691 last season, but his off-year likely was an aberration. He would have made the White Sox the team to beat in the AL Central.

i have to agree, but im glad the angels are stupid.....

WinningUgly!
12-16-2001, 02:51 AM
If Bill Stoneman had any 'stones' he would have quit on the spot! The guy is the GM, he worked on a deal with Williams, both sides agreed on it & Angels ownership told him no. What's the point in having a GM title if they have to babysit you? I'd be one pissed off dude! :angry:

Bmr31
12-16-2001, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
If Bill Stoneman had any 'stones' he would have quit on the spot! The guy is the GM, he worked on a deal with Williams, both sides agreed on it & Angels ownership told him no. What's the point in having a GM title if they have to babysit you? I'd be one pissed off dude! :angry:

yeah id be pissed too, but with the money those gms make, id get over it fast! :smile:

RedPinStripes
12-17-2001, 01:01 AM
I would have been upset to see Garland ggo in that trade.

czalgosz
12-17-2001, 08:53 AM
If the rumors were true, and Almonte and West were the minor-leaguers, I would have thrown my computer out the window if that trade had gone through.

LongDistanceFan
12-17-2001, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31

i have to agree, but im glad the angels are stupid.....
bmr, not only were they stupid, they really don't have a clue..... however, what scares me is the KW feelings in that bos lobby. this man has no clue to what he is doing, thinking that we are getting the best of the trade.

Spiff
12-17-2001, 09:01 AM
I think KW should be gone just because he obviously has no credibility, and other GM's are wary now of making deals with him. It seems like he has to give up more than someone else might, like an insurance policy in case there's something he's not telling them.

Just what I think is happening, because yes Almonte + West +the other two would be way too much.