PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Spring Training Schedule?

C-Dawg
11-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Anyone know when they announce the official schedule for Spring Training? I'm limited to going very early in March - the official site doesn't have a schedule yet but I seem to remember that's about when the "real" games begin. With my luck I'd fly in during a weekend with no games LOL.

I was there in 2004 but it was much later in the month.

Just figured I'd start thinking about it since airfare is still real cheap this far in advance.

JimH
11-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Some of the teams (5) have announced their Cactus League schedules. Here's what's known thus far for the White Sox:

W 3/1 vs. Colorado at TEP
TH 3/2 at Colorado, Hi Corbett, Tucson

Mon 3/6 vs. Oakland at TEP
T 3/7 at Colorado, Hi Corbett, Tucson

Mon 3/13 at Oakland, in Phoenix

Wed. 3/15 at Colorado, Hi Corbett, Tucson

F 3/17 vs. Texas at TEP
Sat. 3/18 vs. Chicago at TEP
Sun. 3/19 at Milwaukee, in Maryvale

Wed. 3/22 vs. Colorado at TEP
TH 3/23 at Texas, Surprise

Mon. 3/27 at Chicago, Mesa

Wed. 3/29 vs. Milwaukee at TEP
TH 3/30 vs. Colorado at TEP

Edit: My guess is that first weekend, F 3/3, Sat. 3/4, Sun. 3/5 you'll see White Sox vs. Diamondbacks at TEP.

chisoxmike
11-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Last year it came out in mid-December.

C-Dawg
11-07-2005, 05:37 AM
Yeah I see the 2005 schedule is still up on the WSI home page; looked like a game every day starting March 1, at TEP and other parks.... That sounds OK to me since if I'm able to go, it'll be maybe March 3-8 or so. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't some sort of one-game-every-3-days kind if thing, so early in the month.

Viva Medias B's
11-07-2005, 07:08 AM
The sooner you make your Tucson hotel reservations, the better.

Chicken Dinner
11-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Spring training games a pretty much every day. They get 1 or 2 days off the whole month. The first week plus, the Sox will be exclusively down in TUS and then start to come up to the Phoenix area after that.

shaunomac
11-08-2005, 05:14 AM
I go down every year for five days and have a blast.

Tucson is the home to three teams for Spring Training, White Sox, Diamondbacks and Rockies.

The games get expensive so I see a couple of the big leage games and then I head over to the minor league complex and catch a few of their games as those games are free.

Viva Medias B's
11-08-2005, 07:00 AM
Actually, spring training games aren't all that expensive, especially compared to regular season games. One good alternative is, of course, college baseball which you could catch at the University of Arizona. 3/17-3/19, UA is hosting national power Cal State Fullerton (Aaron Rowand's alma mater).

Kittle'sNeighbor
11-08-2005, 08:05 AM
If you come to Phoenix, circle the Brewers game and label it a must see. Do not listen to the locals that tell you that Maryvale is too dangerous to go to. Maryvale is a neighborhood of Phoenix much like Bridgeport or Hyde Park is to Chicago.

It is a great stadium, no traffic and easy parking.

It's full of Cheezers, most with some sort of Packer apparel on, gets you in regular season form in a hurry even if you have no feelings for the Brewers.

Last year, Marte drilled Carlos Lee in the back and the players & the fans were going at it. Definitely not your typical pre-season atmosphere. Best Spring training game I've ever seen.

But best of all, the #1 reason this is a can't miss game...........................

Old Style & PBR on TAP!

XplodingScorbord
11-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Anyone hear any rumblings about wrapping up Spring Training with a couple of games in Milwaukee like they did this year? I went to those, and despite the losses, it was still fun. Cool chance to head to beertown and see the Sox for $5.

ChiSoxGirl
11-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Anyone hear any rumblings about wrapping up Spring Training with a couple of games in Milwaukee like they did this year? I went to those, and despite the losses, it was still fun. Cool chance to head to beertown and see the Sox for $5.

Somebody posted in a thread last week about this, and IIRC, the Sox are going to be in Atlanta to close out Spring Training next year. Don't quote me on this, but I thought I remembered someone saying this.

JimH
11-08-2005, 10:46 AM

Yes, they are going to Atlanta to wrap up spring training this year. The exact dates are on the Atlanta Braves website.

michned
11-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Yeah I see the 2005 schedule is still up on the WSI home page; looked like a game every day starting March 1, at TEP and other parks.... That sounds OK to me since if I'm able to go, it'll be maybe March 3-8 or so. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't some sort of one-game-every-3-days kind if thing, so early in the month.

Yep, there is at least one game per day at TEP, although some of those games are D'backs games. Also, consider checking out the Sox when they play at the Rockies park, Hi Corbett Field. Definitely doesn't have the amenities of TEP but it's a great park to watch a game in (believe it was featured in the spring training scenes of the first Major League movie).

Keep checking www.tucsonbaseball.com (http://www.tucsonbaseball.com/) for when they post updated information on '06 Spring Training.

Ed

MarySwiss
11-08-2005, 11:16 AM
I also like watching games at Tempe Diablo Stadium. It's an older park and is supposed to undergo renovation, but it's easy to get to and the parking lot is easy to get in and out of. Of course, that's where the Angels train, so it will probably be a relatively hot ticket.

There was talk for awhile that the Angels might move out of Diablo and the Sox might take their place, which would have made me one happy camper since it's about a 15-minute drive from my house, but I believe the Angels have definitely decided to stay. Dammit!

C-Dawg
11-08-2005, 11:20 AM
There was talk for awhile that the Angels might move out of Diablo and the Sox might take their place, which would have made me one happy camper since it's about a 15-minute drive from my house, but I believe the Angels have definitely decided to stay. Dammit!

Yeah I was wondering about that too. I thought it was like just a year or two and the Sox would be out of TEP?

Anyone else considering going in real, real early March?

doogiec
11-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Yeah I was wondering about that too. I thought it was like just a year or two and the Sox would be out of TEP?

The Angels ended up signing a lease extension (10 years IIRC) that killed that possibility.

JimH
11-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Last year at spring training I talked to Sammy Burke, who is stadium operations manager for the AAA Tucson Sidewinders, the primary tenant at TEP. BTW for what it's worth he's also the brother of Brian Burke, the hockey executive.

He told me the White Sox would love to move up to the Phoenix area but can't for now unless some other team either moves out of an existing facility or builds a new one and are willing to partner with the White Sox.

I would not be shocked to see the Sox partner with the Giants in Scottsdale Stadium especially since there have been some major improvements in the training and minor league complexes there.

The Sox are contractually committed to Tucson until 2012 but all they'd need to do is find another team to take over the TEP lease. The hottest rumor last spring was Cleveland was interested in returning to Tucson but that appears to have died down. The Angels potentially moving out of Tempe is a dead issue.

So, right now, it's status quo, the Sox are in Tucson and unless something unforeseen comes up they will stay there.

manders_01
11-08-2005, 12:08 PM
I have been seriously considering heading down to AZ for some games since it's an easier (and cheaper) trip from Denver (as opposed to heading to IL - although that's still in the cards too).

Can anyone who has been give (or link) a little more info and possibly pics? I've never been to AZ at all so hotel suggestions, player hangouts, restaurants and other activities are also appreciated. Thanks!

MarySwiss
11-08-2005, 12:25 PM
I have been seriously considering heading down to AZ for some games since it's an easier (and cheaper) trip from Denver (as opposed to heading to IL - although that's still in the cards too).

Can anyone who has been give (or link) a little more info and possibly pics? I've never been to AZ at all so hotel suggestions, player hangouts, restaurants and other activities are also appreciated. Thanks!

Well, probably one of the first things you need to decide is whether you want to stay in Tucson or Phoenix. More teams train in the Phoenix area than in Tucson, but no doubt you're most interested in the Sox, and they train in Tucson. EDIT: BTW, the drive from Phoenix to Tucson is about like driving from Chicago to Milwaukee. In other words, no biggie.

Another consideration is that the stadiums in Tucson are right near each other, whereas the ones in the Valley (Phoenix metro area) are spread out. For example, as mentioned in other posts here, the Angels train in Tempe (which is East Valley), the Brewers in Maryvale (which is West Valley), the Giants in Scottsdale (which is NE Valley) and the Cubs in Mesa (also East Valley, but farther from Phoenix than Tempe is).

Here are some links that might help.

http://phoenix.about.com/od/cactusleaguestadiums/

http://www.tickco.com/spring-training/cactus-league-stadiums.htm

JimH
11-08-2005, 02:06 PM
and http://www.visittucson.org

AZSoxFAN
11-09-2005, 02:46 PM
I also like watching games at Tempe Diablo Stadium. It's an older park and is supposed to undergo renovation, but it's easy to get to and the parking lot is easy to get in and out of. Of course, that's where the Angels train, so it will probably be a relatively hot ticket.

The finishing touches are being done to Diablo. They are installing new seats as I type this, and the scoreboard will be new too. All in all, millions of $$$$ of improvements to the facility. It will be great. Wish the Sox were there instead of bunking with the DBacks down in Tucson:tongue: .

MarySwiss
11-09-2005, 03:05 PM
The finishing touches are being done to Diablo. They are installing new seats as I type this, and the scoreboard will be new too. All in all, millions of $$$$ of improvements to the facility. It will be great. Wish the Sox were there instead of bunking with the DBacks down in Tucson:tongue: .

As I said, I liked Diablo before, so this will be really sweet. I can't wait to order my Sox/Angels tickets!

salty99
11-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Here is the complete schedule

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/spring_training/y2006/schedule.jsp?c_id=cws

Viva Medias B's
11-17-2005, 10:12 PM
I've seen the schedule, and it looks like they have the wrong times on them. Games normally start at 1:00 p.m. local, or Tucson, time. Here, the times are said to be Central, or Chicago, time. In the past, games obviously began at 2:00 p.m. Chicago time.

But didn't Congress make changes to daylight savings time to mandate that the whole country changes? I believe Congress also changed the dates we change our clocks. Under the old rules, Arizona does not change its clocks meaning it's one hour behind Chicago during standard time and two hours behind during daylight time.