PDA

View Full Version : Trib Resumes Sox Bashing

Hitmen77
11-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Wow - this editorial in today's Tribune is Sox bashing at its worst. It hits all the negative Sox stereotypes. From an anti-Sox point of view, it's brilliantly written to paint the Sox in the worst possible light and the Cubs in the best possible way.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0511060525nov06,1,785111.story?coll=chi-opinionfront-hed

(mods, I put this in What's the Score. I don't know if you want all media articles in the Roadhouse or not. So, feel free to move it - however, I think WSI has been a useful forum in the past for calling out the Trib (and other media sources) on blatant Sox bashing. I believe it's had some effect on holding these sources more accountable. So, I vote for not totally ignoring all anti Sox stories.)

Chisox1500
11-06-2005, 11:02 AM
Absolutely sickening b.s. I wonder if this tripe would be allowed on the pages of a newspaper that did not own the Cubs.

RoundingThird
11-06-2005, 11:13 AM
I've heard one of his arguments before in the Tribune: At classic, old-time Wrigley, there is no fireworks, Fundamentals deck, sausage races and blaring rap music; Wrigley just focuses on the game.

This viewpoint makes Wrigley fans seem like the more knowledgeable baseball fans than Comiskey fans.

But what neither author fails to mention, is that Wrigley is unable to add such entertainment by law. Due to the location of the park, it is not permitted for Wrigley to blow off fireworks after home runs, and since the building is a Chicago landmark, isn't allowed major alterations like a Jumbotron or fan deck.

These two authors make it sound like it is by choice/preference that Wrigley is so antiquated.

That said, Comiskey needs to get rid of all mid-inning Jumbotron races. The hat trick game can stay along with the minor league updates and top Sox highlights.

4th Gen. Sox Fan
11-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Jealousy sure is a terrible thing, got to wonder if he wants any cheese with that whine

Crede_Fan
11-06-2005, 11:35 AM
That said, Comiskey needs to get rid of all mid-inning Jumbotron races. The hat trick game can stay along with the minor league updates and top Sox highlights.

I disagree. While I don't care for them, my 10 yr nephew and 8 yr old niece love them. And they have been to both parks and prefer the Cell. Which I think helps build the future fan base.

Soxzilla
11-06-2005, 11:37 AM

Don't be ridiculous. The sausage races and all that stuff is for the kiddies that come out to the ballpark. It's a highly intelligent thing to do. I mean honestly, as a kid would you rather watch a sausage race on a jumbotron between innings, or watch two drunken frat boys make out with each other in the bleachers?

Hook them young, and they will come back later on in life, with their kids.

hose
11-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Just a desperate plea from a bitter Cub fan for attention.:cool:

In the words of Rhett Butler (kind of) " Frankly I don't give a damn about your pettiness, get over it."

MadetoOrta
11-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Jealousy sure is a terrible thing, got to wonder if he wants any cheese with that whine

Beat me to it! I thought the cubs fans didn't care about us. What gives? I love it. I thought the further removed from the World Series, the quieter cubs fans would get. Who'd have thought the whining would go to a higher level? All I have for those whiners is .......:neener:

PaleHoseGeorge
11-06-2005, 11:43 AM
This was not written by the Cubune. It's an op-ed piece the Cubune chose to print, written by a Cub fan who has authored a book about the Cubs.

It's actually quite instructional. Though unintentional, Buchanan simultaneously blows up two Chicago baseball myths:1.) that Cubs fans really don't care about the Sox, and
2.) Cubs fans aren't shallow and pathetic for being angry over the Sox' success.
And this is a guy who wrote a Cubs book?
:o:

Wow... this is the best evidence yet what desperate times they are living through over in Lovable Loserville. Couldn't happen to nicer bunch, too.
:cool:

Cuck the Fubs
11-06-2005, 11:45 AM
3 words.........

World Series Champions

MadetoOrta
11-06-2005, 11:49 AM
3 words.........

World Series Champions

That's what killing those folks! That's all I've said to my cub fan neighbors. The response is usually "next year will be our [cubs] year." I reply "great. I've got my World Series title. Good luck getting past Houston and St. Louis."

Blob
11-06-2005, 11:54 AM
They can keep their crappy articles, we'll keep our WORLD SERIES TROPHY!! :D:

woodenleg
11-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Absolutely sickening b.s. I wonder if this tripe would be allowed on the pages of a newspaper that did not own the Cubs.

Oh come on. That was okay. It was written by a regular guy, not some...hack. Not everything in that paper is evil.

Plus, if we hadn't read it, how would we know that:

A New York Times writer said people on the North Side were ignoring the Sox, spending their time "indoors making lattes or banking online or whatever it is Cubs fans do in October." In an op-ed piece for the Times, Studs Terkel, who should know better than to make such generalizations, intimated that Cubs fans don't even follow the game and compared attending a game at Wrigley to "going to an air show or `Cats'--something tourists do."

ThatGuyOnTheL
11-06-2005, 01:06 PM
...coming from a man who felt the need to write a guide book for Cub fans on how to attend a baseball game.

Turn your cellphone off.
Watch the game.
Consume a hot dog and a beer, if you so desire.

The Racehorse
11-06-2005, 01:27 PM
Hey yo Andrew Buchanan, it was me who called you the night the Sox clinched the ALCS. LOL!

http://worldseries.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/lion_hat.jpg
"Hey Andy, how do you like me now?"

CaptainBallz
11-06-2005, 01:29 PM
I disagree. While I don't care for them, my 10 yr nephew and 8 yr old niece love them. And they have been to both parks and prefer the Cell. Which I think helps build the future fan base.

I concur--I liked the races when I was younger, although I don't really pay attention to them now. But having had the pleasure of attending the Fourth of July Game with my niece and nephew, I can say that fun little things like the races and the fireworks make it an experience for kids that they'll remember forever and, hopefully, will get them to come back in the future.

Hitmen77
11-06-2005, 01:38 PM
This was not written by the Cubune. It's an op-ed piece the Cubune chose to print, written by a Cub fan who has authored a book about the Cubs.

It's actually quite instructional. Though unintentional, Buchanan simultaneously blows up two Chicago baseball myths:1.) that Cubs fans really don't care about the Sox, and

2.) Cubs fans aren't shallow and pathetic for being angry over the Sox' success.

There was an interesting discussion on WSI a few months ago about how the Cubune (or any paper for that matter), can easily choose which "letters to the editor" or "op-ed" pieces to publish so as to convey the message they want to convey. This is the perfect op-ed piece for the Cubune to use to further promote their own product and bash the competitor's product.

Regarding the piece itself (or should I say piece O.S.?), he starts off with the old trick of saying "I like the White Sox, but...." to give himself the false legitimacy of not being biased. That one's as old as "We didn't come to praise Caeser...".

He displays the typical Cub fan hypocricy by first complaining that the media has been labeling the Cubs crowds as casual fans and then turning around and boasting that the Sox, unlike the Cubs, can't draw big crowds in April. He conveniently ignores the reason for the Cubs constant big crowds - CAUSAL FANS!

The rest of it is truely typical Cubs whining at it's worst. Everything was apparently alright in '03 when the Cubs appeared to be on their way to a pennant and Cub fans were totally mocking Sox fans and making our lives miserable. Now that the Sox have won it (something the Cubs failed to do when they were ripping on us 2 years ago), he just can't stand all those mean Sox fans and their nerve to celebrate.

By most accounts, Sox fans have been exceptionally gracious, jubilant, well-behaved, and enthusiastic during this title run. I think that really bothers the Cubune and Cub fans too because it has really taken the "they won, but Sox fans are jerks" weapon away from them. Now, as you can see, they are coming out of hiding and starting up their smear campaign against us to paint the Sox and Sox fans in as negative of light as possible.

Hitmen77
11-06-2005, 01:40 PM
I concur--I liked the races when I was younger, although I don't really pay attention to them now. But having had the pleasure of attending the Fourth of July Game with my niece and nephew, I can say that fun little things like the races and the fireworks make it an experience for kids that they'll remember forever and, hopefully, will get them to come back in the future.

Yeah, last I noticed, they only run those scoreboard races in between innings and not when the game is going on. So I don't get the argument that these things distract people from watching the game.

Fuller_Schettman
11-06-2005, 01:40 PM

...or rice, for that matter...

LuvSox
11-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Hey, what do ya know. a jealous loser Wrigley fan.

He goes to Wrigley to see the old scoreboard, the old ushers and to smell urine. He certainly doesn't go to see baseball.

**** you loser.

I'm coming close to being a Cub basher again.

SOXintheBURGH
11-06-2005, 01:56 PM

He goes to Wrigley to see the old scoreboard, the old ushers and to smell urine. He certainly doesn't go to see baseball.

**** you loser.

Ya know, I've been trying my hardest just to carry the smug arrogance of World Champion on my face, but its getting tougher and tougher NOT to white wash Cub fans at every chance I get.

AnkleSox
11-06-2005, 02:13 PM
This guy needs a slap in the face. What a hypocritical worthless piece of writing.

I seriously question the truth behind his story of a Sox fan calling him that night and talking about burning wrigley down. He could easily have made that story up to just perpetuate the sox fan stereotype. What better way to end his BS story than by claiming it was someone with the wrong number?

I think cubs fans seriously wanted to hear MORE cub bashing after the sox won the series so that there could be some truth behind their stereotypes. Most people I know have pretty much ignored the cubs since our World Series championship, and this is really bothering the fans of chicago's minor league team.

It's apparent now on which side of town the inferiority complex really lies. Cubs fans are now bashing the sox and their fanbase in a hope that we grab at their bait and conform to the stereotypes. Now that they know we don't care about their team as much as we care about the sox, they need to make some **** up about us to keep us looking bad.

It's only a matter of time before they're exposed. The cubs are an afterthought in many of our minds now, and unless they can start consistently finishing higher than fourth place, their value in the minds of many chicagoans is going to continually decrease.

If the sox were the "ugly stepchild" in chicago, well they've pretty much followed the story of the ugly duckling.

The cubs are still the old, bitter, divorced, fat uncle who sloppily runs his mouth and passes out in the middle of the street, having nightmares about the little brother in the family who grew out of the petty "rivalry" game by finding success.

TomBradley72
11-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Typical White Sox/Cubs fan banter back and forth...nothing new.

What is very telling about "Cub Nation" is that they can write a lengthy essay about their team vs. their home town rival(WSox)...and NEVER ONCE discuss the actual baseball team that plays on the field or the players themselves. The ENTIRE argument revolves around the ancillary stuff (ballpark,neighborhood,Ronny Woo Woo? those total losers that hang around to get a home run ball?,etc).

Try to name one other franchise in all of professional sports (MLB,NFL,NBA,NHL...over 120 teams) who's fan base puts so much weight to what goes on "around the field" vs. "on the field". You can't. That's what makes the whole Cubby scene so bankrupt. That's why I chose the White Sox in 1971...it was the same way back then.

skobabe8
11-06-2005, 02:17 PM
http://www.punjabkesari.com/health/health_files/crying.jpg.

cheeses_h_rice
11-06-2005, 02:36 PM
OK, I've got some time...let's tear this POS apart, shall we?

Another article noted how Sox fandom was passed down from generation to generation, while following the Cubs was something one just picked up on a whim, when the weather was right, I guess. For the record, the Cubs have been around since 1876, 25 years longer than the Sox, and have a fan base that's probably double the Sox.

I'm sure there's some sort of explanation for the explosion in attendance at Wrigely beginning in 1984 that's related to families passing down their passion for the Cubs, too, right? I'm sure it has nothing to do with WGN, Harry Caray, or the gentrification of the former slummy area around Clark and Addison. Reading this guy's column, you'd swear the Cubs were a perennial 3,000,000 draw every single ****ing year.

The irony in most of the arguments was obvious, considering many Sox fans aren't even motivated enough to actually, you know, attend their team's games on a consistent basis.

Zing! Ah, the ol' attendance argument...it's all Cub fans have to go on these days. So it appears that the writer has concrete proof that Cub fans consistently attend many games a year while Sox fans are inconsistent and sparse in their support. Right. Is there some place I can take up a bet on this and prove this asshat wrong? How many games do those folks coming in on tour buses from Bettendorf, Iowa go to a year, Andrew? Could be...1?

In fact, it's the Cell where the distractions abound: exploding scoreboard, idiotic races on the big screen between innings, blaring rock music that makes it virtually impossible to talk baseball even if you want to, doggie day at the park. If you listen to Sox fans and the media you'd think some of those dogs know how to keep score.

The exploding scoreboard isn't a distraction to me, Andrew. It only happens AFTER A WHITE SOX HOME RUN, you moron. What's there to be distracted by? As for idiotic races, don't the Cubs have their own lame version of a CTA bus race they do? And I really have to apologize for that loud, blaring rock music; it really is impossible to "talk baseball" (yeah right) above it, and they crank the tunes non-stop for all 9 innings. So solly. I realize how much "talking baseball" gets done in the bleachers, bro'. Those Chads and Trixies are a walking Algonquin Roundtable of baseball.

And, gee, isn't the whole B-celebrity-singing-the-7th-inning-stretch the ULTIMATE in mindless, annoying distractions? Catch that Cubune/WB Network synergy, dude!

So, I invite Studs Terkel, dumb New York Times reporters and Sox fans to attend a Cubs game next summer (we'll return the favor when the Cubs play at the Cell and help you get a rare sellout).

Dude, what's the score? Didn't the White Sox sell out the park about another 12-15 more times other than when they were playing the Cubs en route to drawing almost 2.4 million? Didn't the Sox outdraw the Cubs earlier in the '90s? Isn't it true that the Cubs could fill that ballpark while losing 95 games in a year?

I realize that it must sting like all hell knowing our White Sox beat the Cubs to winning the ultimate prize in baseball, while having every media disadvantage you can have in this city and less money to spend on players, so you're just flinging your feces as best you can. If I were a Cub fan (and thank god, I'm not), I'd probably feel the same way.

itsnotrequired
11-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Dude, what's the score? Didn't the White Sox sell out the park about another 12-15 more times other than when they were playing the Cubs en route to drawing almost 2.4 million? Didn't the Sox outdraw the Cubs earlier in the '90s? Isn't it true that the Cubs could fill that ballpark while losing 95 games in a year?

I can't wait for the Sox to draw 2.6-2.7 million next year so these attendance arguments that bozo Cub fans toss around can be finally put to bed. Numbers like that would throw the Sox into the top ten in terms of percent of park filled.

SOXSINCE'70
11-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Well,I guess this is what you can expect from a POS rag
that christened last month SOXTOBER.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hitmen77
11-06-2005, 04:14 PM
This guy needs a slap in the face. What a hypocritical worthless piece of writing.

I seriously question the truth behind his story of a Sox fan calling him that night and talking about burning wrigley down. He could easily have made that story up to just perpetuate the sox fan stereotype. What better way to end his BS story than by claiming it was someone with the wrong number?

Excellent point. It does sound very hard to believe that he just happened to get a random wrong number call just after the Sox clinched the pennant from some Sox fan screaming about burning down Wrigley? Then he cites this supposed incident as typical of "many Sox fans".

Wow, can I write an op-ed piece making up some story that Cub fans spit on my small children because they were wearing Sox hats - and then claim it as proof that this represents the behavior of "many" Cub fans?:rolleyes:

By the way, I sent an e-mail to the Trib responding to this tripe. Though, I doubt they'll print any letters from Sox fans pointing out the absurdity of this op-ed piece.

TDog
11-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Bring back the old days! I often curse the timing of my birth, placing me in the 21st century, with flush toilets and home computers.

The attendance card is double edged because it implies that Cubs fans DON'T CARE about winning. They go to the games to have a good time. All the extra things the Sox do to make going to the ballpark a fun time for the entire family (who doesn't like the more-than-four-decade-old tradition of fireworks?) is about going to the game and having a good time.

There are some Cubs fans that would like to see fewer people coming to the games because they believe, as I've seen Sox fans post at WSI, that the team shouldn't be rewarded for fielding an underachieving, losing team. The Cubs fans I work with aren't among them, but I've gone to Sox games frequently at bad times because they were my team. The good news for Cubs fans is that it's possible that the crowds celebrating the day of the Sox victory rally will mobilize Cubs management into fielding a winner. But I don't see how it can if the 3 million at the gate continues to include tickets the team is scalping instead of selling at face value.

TheOldRoman
11-06-2005, 04:59 PM
I can't wait for the Sox to draw 2.6-2.7 million next year so these attendance arguments that bozo Cub fans toss around can be finally put to bed. Numbers like that would throw the Sox into the top ten in terms of percent of park filled.
Nope, it wont change anything. They will STILL play the attendance card "blah blah, nobody goes to games. Nobody cares about the Sox."
Here is the kicker, and I have already started hearing this from Cubs "fans", they will accuse every one of us of being bangwagon fans. They will say, "Yeah, they finally get people to go to games now that they finally won. All Sox fans are fairweather. They couldn't get anyone to go to games when they had the best record in baseball in August. Nobody cared about the Sox before they won, and when they finish off this 100 loss season, nobody will care anymore."

Dan H
11-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Petty jealousy. This guy actually ends his nonsense by inviting Sox fans out to Wrigley and spend the day not even thinking about the Sox. One, I have no desire whatsoever to go anywhere near Wrigley. And secondly, I have even less desire to watch a team that is ready celebrate 100 years without a championship and makes a celebrity out of a buffoon like the "Woo-Woo" guy. Let Cub fans set the record for most cell phone usage in a baseball stadium. The World Series memories will keep Sox fan warm this winter.

soxwon
11-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Relax- A year ago this article would infuriate me.

But remember- WE HAVE WON the WORLD SERIES!!!
They are just trying, to cover OUR VICTORY up by printing nonsense.

THE NEW me says: Don't let ANY anti-Sox tripe bother you!!!!
We have something they don't and in most likely hood NEVER will have.
Meanwhile we possibly could get ANOTHER one, before they do.

Even if we dont win it next year or the year after, until they do, they will continue to write crapo.
DONT let it bother you!!!!

We all must change and let it bounce off us, their jealousy is unending.
We are the Champions!!!!
Don't EVER forget it!!!!

TheOldRoman
11-06-2005, 05:13 PM
The good news for Cubs fans is that it's possible that the crowds celebrating the day of the Sox victory rally will mobilize Cubs management into fielding a winner. But I don't see how it can if the 3 million at the gate continues to include tickets the team is scalping instead of selling at face value.
No, nothing will change. The Urinal will still be the mecca for yokels bussed in from Iowa. It will also be the place to be seen for frat boys, sorority girls, abd B-list celebrities because it is "historic" and "has such timeless traditions".
A large number of bandwagon fans jumped to the Sox, but all in all, our title only strengthened the resolve of Cubs fans. It will help add to their elitist egos. They always said "we are real fans because we love the team so much. We go to games even when we are losing." They will act superior because they are "real fans" who didn't jump ship, and still loved the Cubs even though they dont win. They are better than us.

Expect many Tribune articles next year higlighting "the 97 year old lady who still listens to Ronny on the radio every day" and the "extreme suffering of fans who havent missed a Cubs game in 45 years". The Trib will push hard with that propoganda to make the Cubs fans feel special for still blindly throwing money at the Tribune.

woodenleg
11-06-2005, 05:25 PM

That story was funny. And knowing Sox fan / Cub fan relationships, the friend was joking. Come on. In the days after the championship (and also back in 2003) I was treated to hilarious back and forth between Sox and Cub fans in my family. They tease each other. It's when people take it seriously that things get ugly.

GoSox2K3
11-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Here's my reply to the Tribune:

The Andrew Buchanan editorial in the 11/6 Tribune marks a new low in the Trib's effort to promote its substandard baseball product (Cubs) while smearing the world class competition (Sox). Is there anyone with half a brain who doesn't find far-fetched his story that he got a random "wrong number" call moments after the Sox won the pennant from some Sox fan who was yelling "Burn Wrigley"? According to Mr. Buchanan, this alleged caller is "representative of many Sox fans."
I take offense that the Tribune would print such garbage - especially in light of what, in reality, was overwhelmingly positive behavior that was displayed by Sox fans this year.

Does the Trib have no standards for what gets published as an op-ed piece these days? Can anyone just spit out dubious claims and link that to a blanket defaming of the entire Sox fan base? Sadly, the answer is yes. It appears that the Sox World Championship has rattled the Tribune Company and they are now desparately scrambling to squelch any positive feelings readers may have about this terrific ballclub.

Mr. Buchanan invites Sox fans to Wrigley next year to experience "Ronnie Woo Woo". No thanks, Cub fans can have their Wrigley/Ronnie Woo Woo experience, we'll be enjoying exciting baseball games at the Cell next year courtesy of the World Champion White Sox.

MarySwiss
11-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Here's my reply to the Tribune:

Nice!

4th Gen. Sox Fan
11-06-2005, 06:35 PM
You guys are nuts, meeting Ronnie Woo Woo is 10 times greater than watching a baseball game

Dolly
11-06-2005, 08:37 PM

That thought occurred to me too. Doesn't pretty much everyone have caller ID these days???

peeonwrigley
11-06-2005, 11:58 PM
You guys are nuts, meeting Ronnie Woo Woo is 10 times greater than watching a baseball game

And if you must meet Ronny - don't worry, he'll be at the Cell come playoff time.:rolleyes:

SOXfnNlansing
11-07-2005, 12:09 AM
3 words.........

World Series Champions a guy was chirping about cub attendance at work the other night, and those 3 little words came out of my mouth so sweetly and shut him up completely. Everyone looked at him and he looked so pathetic; he couldn't say much after those 3 little words :bandance:

SOXfnNlansing
11-07-2005, 12:15 AM
[/indent]
By most accounts, Sox fans have been exceptionally gracious, jubilant, well-behaved, and enthusiastic during this title run. I think that really bothers the Cubune and Cub fans too because it has really taken the "they won, but Sox fans are jerks" weapon away from them. Now, as you can see, they are coming out of hiding and starting up their smear campaign against us to paint the Sox and Sox fans in as negative of light as possible. I think we have that attitude because WE know that we are walking down mainstreet with a loaded 9MM and the cub fans are on the side of the street with pea shooters. They cannot say, or shall I say, even look US in the eyes now, because they know their lame arguments over the years are pointless now. :bandance:

LuvSox
11-07-2005, 12:15 AM
And if you must meet Ronny - don't worry, he'll be at the Cell come playoff time.:rolleyes:

If anyone must meet Woo Woo, they are on crack.

SOXfnNlansing
11-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Most people I know have pretty much ignored the cubs since our World Series championship, and this is really bothering the fans of chicago's minor league team.
I think most fans have ignored cub fans during our Championship run. What is sweet for me is that there were 5 cub guys totally rooting against our team during the playoffs. After Uribe threw to PK to end the series, I witnessed a people who were totally defeated. No eye contact; talking softly; no spring in their step; nothing. Conscience of the power I possessed, I chose the high road and tried to downplay the whole thing. I'm telling you, they are really defeated. I don't know how long it'll last, but WE own this town! I can understand their situation, because if it was the other way around, I'd be in the same sad position they are :bandance:

DrCrawdad
11-07-2005, 12:36 AM
The attendance card, that's the one trick and the Cubune has been playing all thru the post-season and it will continue.

I had the misfortune to hear WGNs lamo host (who claims to be a stand-up comic) interview some Cubune executive. The Cubune executive was fine, but the host kept up asking questions about Sox attendance. The question pretty much was, 'Huh, no one goes to Sox games so how do you think the Sox World Series win will effect their attendance? Will the Sox start drawing people?'

I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat, but I have to wonder if there was some memo to all Cubune employees to play the Attendance Card.

Ok so if this (fecal matter) for brains editorial write doesn't care for the Sox, why does Sox attendance matter to him?

One question for the editorial writer, you're so proud of the long history of the Cubs, going so far as to point out that the Cubs have existed for a mere 25 years longer than the Sox, so if no one goes to Sox games then please tell me where the Sox '05 attendance would rank in the Cubs attendance records? The Sox drew over 2.3 million. So in the 130 year history of the Cubbies, where does that sit?

A. 129th
B. 100th
C. 50th
D. 12th

Answer: D 12th. So editorial writer, does that mean that for 118 years no one went to Cubbie games? Why were the Cubbies not supported all those other years?

Oh, and editorial writer, the 2005 World Series Champion White Sox. Suck on that!

Soxfanspcu11
11-07-2005, 12:45 AM
That thought occurred to me too. Doesn't pretty much everyone have caller ID these days???

*67 blocks caller ID, it shows up as "Private", it really kind of defeats the purpose of having caller ID is the person calling you doesn't want to be known. Just throwing that out there cause no one has mentioned that yet.:smile:

skobabe8
11-07-2005, 12:51 AM
The attendance card, that's the one trick and the Cubune has been playing all thru the post-season and it will continue.

I had the misfortune to hear WGNs lamo host (who claims to be a stand-up comic) interview some Cubune executive. The Cubune executive was fine, but the host kept up asking questions about Sox attendance. The question pretty much was, 'Huh, no one goes to Sox games so how do you think the Sox World Series win will effect their attendance? Will the Sox start drawing people?'

I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat, but I have to wonder if there was some memo to all Cubune employees to play the Attendance Card.

Ok so if this (fecal matter) for brains editorial write doesn't care for the Sox, why does Sox attendance matter to him?

One question for the editorial writer, you're so proud of the long history of the Cubs, going so far as to point out that the Cubs have existed for a mere 25 years longer than the Sox, so if no one goes to Sox games then please tell me where the Sox '05 attendance would rank in the Cubs attendance records? The Sox drew over 2.3 million. So in the 130 year history of the Cubbies, where does that sit?

A. 129th
B. 100th
C. 50th
D. 12th

Answer: D 12th. So editorial writer, does that mean that for 118 years no one went to Cubbie games? Why were the Cubbies not supported all those other years?

Oh, and editorial writer, the 2005 World Series Champion White Sox. Suck on that!

wow. awesome post, doc!

DrCrawdad
11-07-2005, 07:40 AM
wow. awesome post, doc!

Thanks.

I meant to include too I've heard WGN radio hosts - Spike, John Williams, the Sports Central guys, Steve and Johnnie, Nick Digilio and now Steve Cochran (the lamo stand-up comic) all talk about Sox attendance. With Sox attendance being a constant theme on Cubune radio and Cubune paper and ink, it makes me wonder if there was a memo circulated telling them to play the attendance/popularity card at any mention of the Sox.

I'm joking (kind of...) about the memo, but I think this explains the constant Cubune theme of attendance/popularity.

"A corporate mentality needn't be imposed by direct fiat; it's a virus that metastasizes in the bureaucratic bloodstream." - New York Times, July 10, 2005

http://www.rothcpa.com/archives/misc/Tin%20Foil%20hat.jpg

Hitmen77
11-07-2005, 07:57 AM
Dude, what's the score? Didn't the White Sox sell out the park about another 12-15 more times other than when they were playing the Cubs en route to drawing almost 2.4 million?

Actually it was 21 more times if you count ALL games through October 23. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

TommyJohn
11-07-2005, 09:49 AM

A. 129th
B. 100th
C. 50th
D. 12th

Ah, Cub fans. You gotta love 'em. The White Sox won the whole thing, so
Cub fans are going back to doing what they do best-sneering as if they
are some sort of superior life form.

Remember 2003? back then, Sox fans reminded them that the Sox were 4-2
against the Cubs that year. The reaction was on the order of "what! Are
you kidding? You're pathetic!" When talk went to "5 outs away" we heard
the old "at least our team got to within 5 outs! Your team got swept!
Swept, do you hear me! Swept! HAhahahahahahaha! You're pathetic!"

Well, now the Sox have taken the whole thing, so the whole "at least they
were 5 outs away" stuff is rendered useless. They could point out that the
Cubs played the Sox to a 3-3 draw in the City Series this year, in fact I'm
surprised that they don't. It's weak, but it is something. Then again, that
would require actually knowing about something that happened on the
field this year. So they resort to the attendance club. And why not? What
else do they have to keep them warm during this long, hard winter? They
remind me of the snobby superior kids in high school who felt the driving
need to be popular. Nothing they did was any good unless people noticed
them.

Of course, you could throw arguments back at them until you are blue in
the face, nothing matters when you are intent on being a jerk. I notice
that no one here has responded with "World Series attendance at Wrigley
was ZERO" and that's a good thing. They are simply responding with "World
Champions" because in the end, that is all that really matters.

PatK
11-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Another hilarious point in this article:

The author gets all whiny at Studs Terkel's "something tourists would do" comment, but goes to defend his "casual" fan position by noting the busloads of tourists that come to the park.

nasox
11-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Don't be ridiculous. The sausage races and all that stuff is for the kiddies that come out to the ballpark. It's a highly intelligent thing to do. I mean honestly, as a kid would you rather watch a sausage race on a jumbotron between innings, or watch two drunken frat boys make out with each other in the bleachers?

Hook them young, and they will come back later on in life, with their kids.

I'd choose the two drunken frat boys making out.

But that's just me, I had liberal parents. :cool: :tongue:

SOXPHILE
11-07-2005, 12:13 PM
-I like how he says that it's only a "minority" of fans at the park that fit the stereotype of the backwards hat, J.D. Cru swearshirt wearing drunk frat-boy, and Lincoln Park Trixie. Bwaaaaa Haaa Haaa Haaaa Haaa !!!! Try again. It's easily 50% every game.

-Sox fans should come to Wrigley to "see Ronnie Woo Woo" (????) Yeah, that's what baseball's all about man- a 60+ year old homeless man wearing a full, (urine stained) Cub uniform who gets tourists, and said yuppies and frat boys to give him extra tickets, and buy him beer and food, while he runs around yelling "WOOOO !"

-The ol' attendance card again. Yeah, the Cubs always sell out, what great fans. I guess I was imagining things when I was a kid back in the late 70's and early 80's when I saw FIRST HAND 8000 people (the greatest fans in the world) at Wrigley to see those mighty Cub teams, and the wonderful, historic bleachers, and entire upper deck WERE CLOSED !!!!

Suck on it Cub fans. The Chicago White Sox are World Champions- (I LOVE typing that !)- and your team, as is their proud history, still blow. The only team in pro-sports history with the mantra "Lovable Losers" attached to them, which their "fans" wear like a medal. They're history is one of pathetic, losing baseball, and it will continue again in the 2006 season. Have fun at those mid-May, Wednesday afternoon games, watching your 8 games under .500 team losing 6-1 to the Diamondbacks, because, hey, that cute couple from whatever the latest "rich teens and their problems" show on the WB, is singing the 7th inning stretch. Hooray !!! Oh, and by the way....just another quick reminder: THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS.

Chisox353014
11-07-2005, 01:48 PM
If anyone must meet Woo Woo, they are on crack.

Or looking to purchase some.

RichFitztightly
11-07-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm sure there's some sort of explanation for the explosion in attendance at Wrigely beginning in 1984 that's related to families passing down their passion for the Cubs, too, right? I'm sure it has nothing to do with WGN, Harry Caray, or the gentrification of the former slummy area around Clark and Addison. Reading this guy's column, you'd swear the Cubs were a perennial 3,000,000 draw every single ****ing year.

Zing! Ah, the ol' attendance argument...it's all Cub fans have to go on these days. So it appears that the writer has concrete proof that Cub fans consistently attend many games a year while Sox fans are inconsistent and sparse in their support. Right. Is there some place I can take up a bet on this and prove this asshat wrong? How many games do those folks coming in on tour buses from Bettendorf, Iowa go to a year, Andrew? Could be...1?

And, gee, isn't the whole B-celebrity-singing-the-7th-inning-stretch the ULTIMATE in mindless, annoying distractions? Catch that Cubune/WB Network synergy, dude!

Regarding your post. The one piece of information I'm dying to see is how many Cubs tickets the Tribune Company's scalping business buys up each year, how many of those tickets aren't used, which by extension, would show by how much are the attendance numbers being inflated. There's gotta be a way to find that information. Isn't the Tribune Company a publicly traded company?

That whole scalping your own tickets bugs me on a lot of levels and this is by far the biggest reason why it bugs me. I know there have been people claiming that there were only 22,000 people in the stands while Ronnie Santo and the Tribune publicize an extra 10-15 thousand "paying" customers. I would really love to see this information. There's got to be an enterprizing journalist out there somewhere.

JorgeFabregas
11-07-2005, 02:25 PM
There's an interesting paradox in the numbers he's suggesting. He says there are twice as many Cubs fans as Sox fans, and yet the White Sox fans don't do as good of a job of going to the games. One or the other can be true. Not both. Assuming that he is right that the Cubs have a fanbase twice as large, the White Sox should get about half as many fans at their games--clearly they get more than that. If he is correct that the Cubs' fanbase is twice as large, then each inidividual White Sox fan goes to more games per year than each individual Cubs fan. Sure, there is an upper limit on attendance because of sellouts, but as previously stated, many of those sellouts are suspect.

TheOldRoman
11-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Regarding your post. The one piece of information I'm dying to see is how many Cubs tickets the Tribune Company's scalping business buys up each year, how many of those tickets aren't used, which by extension, would show by how much are the attendance numbers being inflated. There's gotta be a way to find that information. Isn't the Tribune Company a publicly traded company?

That whole scalping your own tickets bugs me on a lot of levels and this is by far the biggest reason why it bugs me. I know there have been people claiming that there were only 22,000 people in the stands while Ronnie Santo and the Tribune publicize an extra 10-15 thousand "paying" customers. I would really love to see this information. There's got to be an enterprizing journalist out there somewhere.

Most Cubs games were not even close to full. In April, there were no more than 25,000 people in the stands for a Wood-Prior double header. Cubs fans think they are the two greatest pitchers ever, and no more than 25k could come out to see both of them pitch the same day? It was raining, but these morons always said "we could get 40k people in the middle of a snowstorm to watch Kerry Wood throw batting practice".
As Hangar pointed out, the Cubs radio guys always play to these mindless sheep, telling them they are the greatest fans ever. During the ninth inning of a blowout, Hughes said "This park is completely packed, and these fans are going wild! They never give up!!" Hangar watched the game, and saw that the park was 3/4 empty.

I saw a few Cubs games at the start of the year, and they were all "sellouts". It is great to see 15,000 fans dress as empty green seats everyday. Somebody else mentioned this, and I thought it was a good indicator:

What is worse, a stadium being half empty because people didn't buy tickets, or a stadium being half empty because people who already spent big money on tickets didn't care enough to even go to the game?

First of all, there are several thousand unsold tickets for any given game. Secondly, these clowns buy season or partial-season packages just to make sure they get tickets to more desired games. If they are such "baseball purists" and "love the Cubs so much", then why do they sit at home when they have tickets just because it is a little chilly outside or rainy? They do because it is only "cool" to be at Wrigley during the summer when it is hot and the drunken sorority girls are flashing people for beers.

Hitmen77
11-07-2005, 04:43 PM
by the way, I submitted a letter to the Trib in response to that horse-bleep editorial. However, I doubt they'll publish any letters pointing out the absurdity of that op-ed piece. :mad:

gaelhound
11-07-2005, 07:53 PM

**** you loser.

Do it Luvsox, Do it. You Know you want to! It will feel so good to wear the dark jersey and bash again and again. You won't be lonely either, many are on the same path. Insult the next thing you see in Catalina Blue. Message me and thank me.:wink:

Tragg
11-07-2005, 08:29 PM
The irony of this and Father Greeley's (boy, was that disappointing) article is that they basically bash the Sox fans for bashing the Sox; yet, isn't that precisely the theme of both articles? Sox bashing? Me thinks they doth protest too much

Hitmen77
11-08-2005, 01:47 PM

Every summer, I hear WSI members say they went to some Cub games for some reason or another. How about if some of those people bring digital cameras next time they go to document the empty seats on "sellout" days. If someone here could do that, I'd actually be willing to forgive them for daring to set foot into the Urinal and putting money into the Cubs' pockets.

LuvSox
11-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Do it Luvsox, Do it. You Know you want to! It will feel so good to wear the dark jersey and bash again and again. You won't be lonely either, many are on the same path. Insult the next thing you see in Catalina Blue. Message me and thank me.:wink:

All season I preached "Sox fan first"

It was pretty easy to ignore those losers this year, but with the season over, my attention is drifting to an easy target.