PDA

View Full Version : Accused of being a bandwagon fan?

Nellie_Fox
11-06-2005, 03:02 AM
Okay, I've lived here in Minnesota for over seven years now. The whole time I've lived here, I've made no secret of my Sox allegiance. I wear Sox gear all the time. I've got Sox jackets for differing degrees of Minnesota cold. I've got Sox hats from five or six different eras. I've got Sox t-shirts that I wear when it's warm.

I've got a Sox shrine in my office at the university, and have had ever since I've been here. I have a Sox sticker on the lunchbox I carry to school every day, and it's been on said lunchbox for probably twenty years.

Apparently, for the people who don't really know me, it has just been background noise, totally unnoticed, because now I'm constantly getting people commenting about me "jumping on the Sox bandwagon" when they notice the stuff I've always worn and/or displayed. People I don't know at all on campus say "oh, I see you're a big Sox fan now that they've won the World Series" and stuff like that. It's making me nuts.

Are you guys in Chicago going through this too?

FedEx227
11-06-2005, 03:08 AM
Oh yeah, I wear Sox shirts like 3-4 times a week at school, plus my hat, plus my wristband...

then the day before the Sox won the World Series I'm sitting in class and one of my teachers goes "What are you just another bandwagoner?"

its kinda stupid because people don't understand... its a shame, because the real white sox fans the ones from birth/from an early age are getting most of the crap because they are so vocal about their alligence that people assume they're new.

ASUSOXGRL
11-06-2005, 03:08 AM
haha you should see the ASU students......i had one guy who was wearing a cubs hat tip his hat to me when i was wearing a sox shirt. all i could do was just smile to myself and know that his team will never make it

IlliniSox4Life
11-06-2005, 03:11 AM
I'm at U of I in Champaign, and I don't think I've ever really had people accuse me of being a bandwagon fan, but I definately get the look. I almost always wear caps, (probably about half the time its a white sox hat) and I've had the same ChiSox hat I've been wearing for the last 2 years, but when the WS started, I went out and bout one of the on the field hats with the WS logo on it. I think this definately aids it because everyone sees you wearing a new hat and assume you just bought it because they are doing good. I don't really care though, it's just in passing. Nobody who has known me for more than a year thinks I haven't been a huge fan for a while.

Chips
11-06-2005, 03:12 AM
I can't say I have had the same problem, everyone I work with is a Sox fan, the people at the bank know I am a Sox fan. I really don't care what Joe on the street thinks.

pudge
11-06-2005, 03:31 AM
Hell yes - I just had an email convo with another WSI'er from Portland about this exact thing... people were telling me, "Isn't everyone in Chicago a Cubs fan? Are you jumping on the bandwagon?"

Argh!!

What was worse, in 2003, so many people told me I must be so excited for the Cubs. Yet those same people didn't say a damn thing this year.

pmck003
11-06-2005, 03:46 AM
I've had a couple people say that I probably started rooting for the Sox this year, and it bothers me. Then I remember that their team didn't win the World Series. I'm just waiting for my World Series Champinons hat to arrive.

pmck003
11-06-2005, 03:57 AM
Okay, I've lived here in Minnesota for over seven years now. The whole time I've lived here, I've made no secret of my Sox allegiance. I wear Sox gear all the time. I've got Sox jackets for differing degrees of Minnesota cold. I've got Sox hats from five or six different eras. I've got Sox t-shirts that I wear when it's warm.

I've got a Sox shrine in my office at the university, and have had ever since I've been here. I have a Sox sticker on the lunchbox I carry to school every day, and it's been on said lunchbox for probably twenty years.

Apparently, for the people who don't really know me, it has just been background noise, totally unnoticed, because now I'm constantly getting people commenting about me "jumping on the Sox bandwagon" when they notice the stuff I've always worn and/or displayed. People I don't know at all on campus say "oh, I see you're a big Sox fan now that they've won the World Series" and stuff like that. It's making me nuts.

Are you guys in Chicago going through this too?

I grew up in Minneapolis during high school, and I can say my friends have been very congraduatorly towards me; so much so that it feels a little weird - especially since I used to make fun of Kirby and the rest of em.

CaptainBallz
11-06-2005, 03:59 AM
haha you should see the ASU students......i had one guy who was wearing a cubs hat tip his hat to me when i was wearing a sox shirt. all i could do was just smile to myself and know that his team will never make it

One of the meanest, yet most hilarious things I've heard in a while.

delben91
11-06-2005, 08:43 AM
I've had the "bandwagon" label applied to me several times now. I think the problem is that since I live in Yankee country, no one can comprehend being a fan of anyone other than the Yankees.

Suckers.

SoXPriDe33
11-06-2005, 09:05 AM
Yeah I get it too, I was walking in the hallway at my school and i heard some guy say "looks like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon" So now anytime i wear my sox stuff and i'm with my friends they say "oh here comes the bandwagon fan" It's annoying but hey I can be happy because my team has won a world series and they will probably never see their team bring one here.

Sox&Springsteen
11-06-2005, 09:22 AM

I completely understand why this is driving you crazy; it's one of the unpleasant but inevitable side effects of living to see this great season.

I lived in Minnesota for four years (including 1987) and I think it's important not to confuse Minnesotans (National sport--yes, I firmly believe Minnesota is a foreign country!--Hunting and ice fishing) with real baseball fans. :D: :D: :D: :D:

The bottom line is this: the only opinions a Sox fan should care about about are the opinions of other Sox fans. Sox fans recognize other Sox fans instantaneously, and can easily distinguish between "bandwagon fans"/ those caught up in the moment and real Sox fans.

p.s. Sounds like you need to make the time to spend a few more weekends at home--it would be good for your soul. :smile: :smile: :smile:

fquaye149
11-06-2005, 09:48 AM
I AM a bandwagon jumper, so they're right to call me one.

Realist
11-06-2005, 10:17 AM
I had two ignoramuses call me a "fair weather fan" at the bar last week when I was parading my Sox Clubhouse sign over my head behind the bar while the juke box was cranking out Thunderstruck and We Are The Champions. Their first reaction was to flip me the bird. I asked them if they were Astros fans. :redneck When they told me they were Cubs fans I busted out the cigarette pack cellophane, stood it up on the bar and told them that it was a Chicago Cubs trophy case. They were not amused.

That's when they accused me of being a fair weathered fan. When I told them I went to over 30 games a year, they told me that there's 81 home games and if I was a real fan I'd go to all of them. Then they actually said to me, "Attendance is more important than World Championships in baseball." I swear to Christ that that's what they said. I poop you not. I pointed at one of them and called him a moron and then I pointed at the other one and called him an idiot. Then I told them that when 1.7 million show up for their Attendance Trophy Ceremony, we can talk. The rest of the conversation can't be quoted without setting fire to the language filters, so let's leave the story at that.

By the grace of God, I'm a Sox fan.

WestSox
11-06-2005, 10:39 AM
I haven't experiecned that here in Texas. I'm assuming it's because nobody here cares much about baseball (despite being only an hour and a half from Houston). When the WS was going on, the local ESPN radio affiliate gave plenty of air time to Aggie and Longhorn football, but said very little about the Astros. How sad... :rolleyes:

And for the record, despite being new at WSI, I've been a fan since the early '80s.

shoelessjoe90
11-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Im sixteen and ive been a sox fan since i was about ten. Thats when i really started to follow baseball. It started when my dad took me to a game for my birthday. I think it was when albert bell was playing. But the other day ago, a person in my geometry class called me a "bandwagoner" for wearing my mark buehrle jersey when i wore it last year too. Im so poed right now. :angry:

dividedsk717
11-06-2005, 11:26 AM
I was on business in western New York the day before and during game 3 of the World Series, and I wore my Sox hat with the WS emblem on the side into the hotel bar for dinner. A guy at the bar, wearing a Buffalo Sabres hat and Carolina Hurricanes sweater (btw, how does anyone not in Carolina bring themselves to cheer for the Hurricanes after they moved from Hartford???), asked me if I was jumping on the bandwagon ... I told him I had been a fan for 16 years and asked if that was enough for him, and he said he hoped the Astros would make it a good series in reply.

Other than that specific incident, I've been getting a lot of congratulations from friends and strangers ... that's been pretty cool.

Down here in Indiana, people aren't jumping on the bandwagon (that I can see). I went to a mall in suburban Indy yesterday and found no championship Sox merchandise (but a lot of marked down Cubs apparel) or a single person wearing something Sox related. I had a Podsednik shirt on yesterday, so I'm sure there were a lot of people thinking "hey, there's the one Sox fan who watched the WS" or something like that.

VenturaSoxFan23
11-06-2005, 11:28 AM
I went to mid-Michigan in 2003 for a wedding and stopped at a Meijer's to get gas and a drink. The dork behind the counter saw my Sox jersey and accused me of "jumping sides from the Tigers to the Sox, just to support a winner". I told the moron we're from NW Indiana. He turned ten shades of red from embarrassment.

Red Barchetta
11-06-2005, 11:35 AM
I moved from Chicago area to Tampa area earlier this year, however I kept my season ticket plan. I was still able to come back for Opening Day, 7 regular season games and 3 post-season games. (Also had tickets for WS Games 6 & 7).

Last week we attended a community event and I wore my ALCS 2005 hat (black with white trim - love it!). Anyway, a Boston fan with thick Boston accent asked me how long have I been on the SOX bandwagon. I replied "35 years!" :angry:

Palehose13
11-06-2005, 12:01 PM
Everyone who even remotely knows me knows my passion for the White Sox. In fact, a lot of my friends asked if it was ok that they jumped on the bandwagon. For those that don't know me and think that I'm a bandwagoner or fair-weathered fan...they can **** off.

digdagdug23
11-06-2005, 12:14 PM
I live in Iowa, Dubuque to be exact, and have been accused first of all, of being a cubs fan, (which really frosts my cookies) because I am surrounded by these numb brained morons, the worst of which happen to be my entire family on in-laws. So, to make a short story long, every time the Bears loose to the Packers (not this year, baby) the White Sox lose and the cubs win (which thankfully didn't happen much this year) or the Bulls get stomped on, I get a cheery phone call from these a$$e$.

I was born and raised to be a Bulls, Bears, Sox fan (not in that order, depends on the year :D: ) and have always worn my pride on my sleeve, even through the disco days, the "winning ugly" days, all of them, feast or famine, always a fan.

But, being in the land of cubitis, there is never ANY fan gear for Sox fans. No matter how loudly you protest, and being only 3 1/2 hours out of the city, you can't get it here. So, the only fan gear I have are the things we pick up on occassional trips to games. You still can not get gear here, even after the series victory, the blood sox win the series, and the skies parted, heaven opened, the good guys put it on the board, and it is like "whatever, let's see if they can do it again". How about an HBO special on the White Sox victory, overcoming the odds and making history? It will NEVER happen.

So, when the Sox finally did it, (they actually made me sob like a child) several people asked me how long I had been a fan, implying that it was only since the playoffs. Whatever, losers. I also know several self-proclaimed "cub converts" who are jumping the ship, and I told them to get off, they'll swamp the boat. Maybe I am a bad sport, and I should welcome the new converts, but I have a bad taste in my mouth from all the loud mouths always harrassing me about being a "dirty, classless, blue-collar fan". Talk trash will ya? Who won, baby?????

voodoochile
11-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Never hurts to have an old beat up dirty Sox hat around just for those occasions. Next time someone calls you a bandwagoner, go home, get the hat and wear it for them. Those ones from the 80's with the white faces and the bold plain SOX across them work great - they were impossible to keep clean.

Soxzilla
11-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I too had an experience that sort of pissed me off concerning 'bandwagoning.' We were at the rally on Friday, and there was this dude starting up a 'Lets Go White Sox' chant like forty minutes before the parade was too start, and he was staring at me because I wasn't chanting (Not much of a chanter if something important isn't going on), and so after the chant died out he stared at me again, and then started chanting 'Go Home Cub Fans.'

I wasn't necessarily pissed off at the fact he might have been directing this at me, because honestly, I could have a rat's ass what he thinks of me, but the fact he was at a WHITE SOX WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP RALLY, creating a chant about the CUBS, irritated the **** out of me. WHO CARES ABOUT THE CUBS!?!?!

And I wasn't the only one getting fed up, as the parade progressed down la salle and they stopped to start the pep rally, I was by some fans that started chanting 'Cuck the Fubs (only with the first letters of those words reversed), and an older guy behind me was like "why are we even worrying about the Cubs, WE are the World Series Champions, get a clue."

And I couldn't agree more.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-06-2005, 12:34 PM
The plastic license plate frame on my car is yellowed from 3 years worth of road salt and sunshine. Now I don't dare replace it for fear I'll be mistakened for a bandwagon fan.

:redface:

Jurr
11-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Everyone who even remotely knows me knows my passion for the White Sox. In fact, a lot of my friends asked if it was ok that they jumped on the bandwagon. For those that don't know me and think that I'm a bandwagoner or fair-weathered fan...they can **** off.
Well put. The people that matter in your life definitely know you're a SOX fan. The rest don't matter. You have nothing to prove to anyone about what team you love.

soxfanreggie
11-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Exactly Jurr,

I have a Sox hat you can definitely tell has been worn many many times. I hated when teachers and other students asked me if I was a bandwagon fan. I answered, I jumped no the bandwagon the day I was attending Sox games in the womb.

goofymsfan
11-06-2005, 01:13 PM
I wasn't accused of being a band wagon Sox fan, but this summer I was accused of being a bandwagon Scotty fan. A friend of mine had gone to Chicago for some games and picked me up the Scotty T-shirt and gave it to me before one of the Mariner games. During the game I was showing some of my seating host friends out in Centerfield the T-shirt. A guy out there called me a band wagoner and said that the only reason I liked him was because he had stolen 70 bases the year before. I was livid. Anyone who knows me knows I've been a fan of Scotty's since he played for the Tacoma Rainiers in 2001. I still remember his first hit in the bigs (*still cursing Dave Myers for holding him at thrid*). I"m sure I'll get some guff this year when the Sox are in town in Seattle in April because I'll be wearing my WS jersey to the games.

oeo
11-06-2005, 01:15 PM
I think this definately aids it because everyone sees you wearing a new hat and assume you just bought it because they are doing good.

Kind of hard to buy a World Series hat before they win the World Series, isn't it? I still wear the hat everyday, proudly staring at Cubs fans.

No one has accused me of being a bandwagon fan. Except my academic advisor, who when I went to schedule classes asked me if I'm just a Sox fan because they're going to the World Series. That kind of made me a little angry but I know my allegiance, that's all that matters.

buehrle4cy05
11-06-2005, 01:41 PM
I have worn Sox shirts to school every day but one for the last month. People know that I'm a lifelong die-hard. And if people don't know that, I'm writing my next column for the school paper on how bandwagoners and "Chicago" fans don't deserve the World Series.

Over By There
11-06-2005, 01:50 PM
I had a couple of people in my office a couple weeks ago, and one of them noticed my series of B&W framed Sox photos that grace my wall. He asked, "so, did you just get those?" ... sort of implying that I had bandwagon jumped. The other guy in the meeting happens to also be a Sox fan and immediately jumped in saying. "he's no bandwagon jumper - he's a real fan."

Good call on the hats - I happened to have my Sox 5950 sitting on my desk, so I just flipped it over to show the well-worn inside and said, "you don't get a hat like that in just a few weeks.

I think the folks that accuse others of being bandwagon jumpers are probably those that are most insecure about their fandom. I consider mysef a pretty big Sox fan, and I can't say that I've accused anyone of being a bandwagon jumper over the past few weeks, even in the face of some obvious ones. I just smile to myself and remember that the only thing that matters is how happy the Sox make me personally.

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I've heard it a few times living in Rockford, Illinois where you generally don't see that many White Sox fans, although there are some(even on these boards with IWriteCode and soxjim!). I used to live in Schaumburg, Illinois before moving here a little over a year ago so I'm used to dealing with Cub fans. I wore White Sox stuff to school every day during the 2003 playoffs just to make it clear that I wasn't going to jump on the huge Cubs bandwagon. Now I simply wear my fitted "Grime" Sox hat, which is so dirty that the logo is no longer white.

Chicken Dinner
11-06-2005, 02:08 PM
The bottom line is that there were a lot of "bandwagoners". You and your actions are the only thing that matters. What other people are accusing you of is just pure jealousy.

Frankfan4life
11-06-2005, 02:25 PM
I love this discussion. I think the "bandwagon" problem stems from the fact that there are a lot of "closet" Sox fans.

I knew that a lot of people I worked with were Sox fans. But, during the latter half of the season I found out that a lot more co-workers were Sox fans but just never showed it. Everybody at my job knows that I'm a passionate White Sox fan. I've been on my job for 28 years and I've always publicly shown it, so, during the playoffs, the "secret" Sox fans would approach me and start talking about the Sox. They knew that they were in good company and that it was "safe" to come out. The "closeted" fans began to get more excited as the playoffs heated up and it became hard to contain their enthusiasm. Granted, some of them were not "rabid" Sox fans but they certainly were not "fence-straddlers." I think some of these people never felt comfortable showing they were Sox fans or talking about it because they felt like second class citizens.

I was also AMAZED at how many people I associate with during my work day were also Sox fans. I mean real Sox fans. It's been incredible. During the playoffs, I would talk to someone on the phone and mention how happy I was about the Sox and the next thing I know I'm in a 20-minute conversation about the White Sox. I mean I've talked to some of these people for years and never knew they were Sox fans. These people also cross all generations, races, etc. I was just shocked. Now I understand the meaning of the SOX PRIDE campaign. I didn't get it before since I've always been a Sox fan and I've always been proud of that fact but I never realized that there were so many other Sox fans were afraid or ashamed to show their allegiance. I mostly blame the media for making them feel that way.

As our recent rally showed, it was finally OK for these fans to come out of the closet and declare their allegiance to the Sox. I WELCOME our closeted brothers and sisters and I also WELCOME any and all who want to jump on the bandwagon (except that once you're on you can't jump back off). Quite frankly, I don't see a reason why anyone would want to.

wassagstdu
11-06-2005, 02:39 PM
I got that in 2000 at Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia because I was wearing a Sox hat. Pretty funny since I had been a Sox fan for (at that point) 53 years. My son (who went with me to Nellie Fox's HOF induction) and I never laughed harder at a baseball game.

Palehose13
11-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Never hurts to have an old beat up dirty Sox hat around just for those occasions. Next time someone calls you a bandwagoner, go home, get the hat and wear it for them. Those ones from the 80's with the white faces and the bold plain SOX across them work great - they were impossible to keep clean.

Hee hee...my Sox hat (a black one, but not authentic...my head is too small. I have to have those "lids" style ones or I look goofy) is practically bleached brown from the sun. I have thought about picking up a new one, but I like the character the one I have has. :cool:

NWSox
11-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Hell yes - I just had an email convo with another WSI'er from Portland about this exact thing... people were telling me, "Isn't everyone in Chicago a Cubs fan? Are you jumping on the bandwagon?"

Argh!!

What was worse, in 2003, so many people told me I must be so excited for the Cubs. Yet those same people didn't say a damn thing this year.

This is curious because most of the baseball fans I meet in Portland are Red Sox fans so they have no business accusing anyone of jumping on the bandwagon. I established my White Sox credentials years ago by constantly including the Sox in their Red Sox - Yankee conversations. Last year was excruciating for me listening to all the "lifelong" Red Sox fans gloat, but when the Sox won this year, they all sought me out to congratulate me. I even had one Red Sox fan give me a broom the day after the World Series.

Prior to this year, whenever someone asked if I really was a White Sox fan (and not a Cubs fan), my reply was "there is no White Sox bandwagon. If someone tells you they're a White Sox fan, believe them." I guess those days are over.

C-Dawg
11-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Hee hee...my Sox hat is practically bleached brown from the sun.

Yeah I have one of those "batting practice" hats with the silver brim - the black part is faded to either a purple or brown color, depending on what kind of light you're looking at it under. Still the most comfortable hat I've ever owned!

I think anyone who is accusing a Sox fan of jumping on the bandwagon, is actually a Cubs fan who did exactly the same thing back in, oh, about September of 2003. I've been putting up with some crap from Cub fans (mostly about the low TV ratings, and the bad calls from the umps) but its entirely coming from fans who started liking the Cubs in 2003. The ones who were fans forever have been politely respectful of the Sox and have offered congrats to all of us fans. Maybe a reluctant congrats, yes, but a congrats none the less.

soxruleEP
11-06-2005, 05:09 PM
What can we expect? When all the Trixies and Frat Rats move into Chicago from their Cornfield universities, they wet themselves over an urban experience that mirrors the senseless hedonism of the wastral lives they led on campus. The Cubs have marketed the Urinal as the opportunity for a daily dose of Big Ten Football Saturdays. These wastes of carbon atoms then come to believe that no one can possibly be real fans of the Sox, because no one they know is. That's the moronic thinking that led Carol Sleazak to say there was no buzz about the Sox because nobody in Wrigleyville was excited. Thus we must be bandwagon jumpers.

Or they could just be envious.

C-Dawg
11-06-2005, 05:13 PM
What can we expect? When all the Trixies and Frat Rats move into Chicago from their Cornfield universities, they wet themselves over an urban experience that mirrors the senseless hedonism of the wastral lives they led on campus. The Cubs have marketed the Urinal as the opportunity for a daily dose of Big Ten Football Saturdays. These wastes of carbon atoms then come to believe that no one can possibly be real fans of the Sox, because no one they know is. That's the moronic thinking that led Carol Sleazak to say there was no buzz about the Sox because nobody in Wrigleyville was excited. Thus we must be bandwagon jumpers.

Post of the week!!

bighurt2719
11-06-2005, 05:41 PM
i live in lansing, MI, so everyone is a sadly apathetic tiger fan. ive been so vocal and obnoxious about being a sox fan for so long, however, that no one has ever called me a bandwagon fan (an before here, i lived in Louisianna and Virginia).

the people in MI who do actually care about baseball (most dont these days because it's an exercise in futility with the tigers) are pretty complimentary of the sox, at least from what i've found here in lansing. i would probably be that way if i was a tiger fan too. it's kind of like when i lived in louisianna during the dallas cowboy dynasty. even though i was a bear fan, the bears were pretty bad then so i watched the cowboys to see good football. tasteful people give credit where credit is due (unlike the cubune).

veeter
11-06-2005, 07:32 PM
I've had one person ask if I'm jumping on the bandwagon. I said, "lady I went to my first Sox game in 1972 when I was five." She said, "oh o.k."

veeter
11-06-2005, 07:34 PM

Or they could just be envious. Yes, this is very good. Great parallels.

cbone
11-06-2005, 08:38 PM

Bingo!

antitwins13
11-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Some kid in my dorm asked me if I bought that Ozzie Guillen jersey yesterday.

PKalltheway
11-07-2005, 02:01 PM
At the beginning of the season when the Sox started off hot, some guy in a sports store accused me of being a bandwagoner. I promptly told the guy that I have been a Sox fan since roughly the fifth grade (1999), and that this was a long time coming for me. He finally relented, but that I believe was just an isolated incident. I got hooked on the Sox for good in 2000 when I got to see them play for the first time and also watched them cruise to the division title. At school, some people are actually happy for me that the Sox won it all, while others insist that it was a fluke or that baseball's even rigged (Red Sox and White Sox end long-standing droughts both by sweeps is their argument). All the ups and downs of being a Sox fan. I live in Cincinnati, not just a Reds town, but a great baseball town and a very underrated one and not a lot of people here get too offended to see a White Sox fan!:smile:

Canadian_SoxFan
11-07-2005, 02:44 PM
I live pretty close to Toronto, so no matter where I go im accused of jumping on the bandwagon. Iv'e been a fan for 14 years now (since I was four) and have been very vocal about my love for the Sox. I think its funny that people accuse the REAL fans of jumping on the badnwagon just because they are having a good year. It was especially funny, when they guy said, "Sox fan eh, let me guess, your an Indianapolis Colts fan" I laughed and told him that I've been a fan for nearly my whole life. But in reality, who cares. No other team can say they are the 2005 World Series Champs! Here's to repeating the feat next year.

kitekrazy
11-07-2005, 02:59 PM
A bandwagon fan is not a bad thing if you are making money from them. And who cares? I'm sure the Yankees have enough bandwagon fans.

Maybe in 2006, a half million band wagon fans will add to the attendance. DO you think Reinsdorf would send them home?

MERPER
11-07-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm at University of Missouri in Columbia and everyone here thinks I am a bandwagon fan as well... Oddly enough, I wear just as much Sox gear now as I did before.. the only difference is they now notice it, so it makes me feel better...

I could care less what anyone thinks.. I know how big of a fan I am and how long and how much I have loved this team!!!

deck27
11-07-2005, 03:08 PM

I'd do more than smile, I'd break down with uncontrolled laughter.

Foulke You
11-07-2005, 03:25 PM
During the ALCS, my fiance and I were decked out in our Sox garb and stopped at Target to pick up a couple things before heading to the bar. While in line, some schmuck in a black Cubs hat looked at us with disgust and said to his girlfriend "man, I guess everyone's a Sox fan now" in an audible voice. I chimed in right away and told him "you're looking at a couple of diehards here" and that neither of us wouldn't ever be caught dead wearing the hat he was wearing. He got pretty embarassed after that because we overheard him but then he brought up how much better it would be if the Cubs would win it and I immediately stopped him right there and said "but the Cubs AREN'T IN IT!" :tongue:

It never caeses to amaze me how much abuse Cub fans love to dish out but cannot take one iota of thrashing in return.

chisox
11-07-2005, 06:19 PM
i don't get it in nyc, they just assume i'm wearing a sox hat to match my sneakers like everyone else.

Sxy Mofo
11-07-2005, 06:26 PM
I got that once this year. None from people out here, but when a eagle fan flew in to watch the broncos, somehow we got to talking about the sox.

"you're a cub fan right"
"nope, hate the bandwagoneers"
"that's cool. You sure you're not a cub fan"
"Yup, been going to games since i was born, and haven't switched allegiances despite living in colorado most of my life"
"You're a cub fan though?"
"Will you hang here for a second while I grab a spoon so you can eat my ass?"

StockdaleForVeep
11-07-2005, 06:33 PM
At the bar here for either one of the anahiem or houston games, i was in line for the bathroom, now i refuse to letter my jersey due to a "curse" i forsee when i think of or get jerseys lettered( lettered krivokrasov on my hawk jersey, and contimplated wunsch, canseco, takatsu while they were with the team)

Ive had my jersey since the heartbreak 2000 campaign, so im standin in like and some jag bag goes "So, how many weeks ago did you buy that jersey" and im like, i dunno, 5 years is how many weeks?"

wulfy
11-07-2005, 06:45 PM
And then the person saw the picture in my office of my wedding reception 7 years ago .... a picture of us in the White Sox dugout.

shoelessjoe90
11-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Yesterday, after school at the bus pick-up, somebody asked me how long i had my white sox hat (kelly green hat with retro sox logo). And I said 3 years (language filter violation deleted. 1 week rip for SJ90) :tongue:

Bobby Thigpen
11-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Most everyone here in town knows that I'm a Sox fan, but I do notice an increase in odd looks when I go out to places like Decatur (that could be because it is after all Decatur). But I have noticed an increase in Sox gear being worn. It is annoying, but it will pass and the only ones left will be those of us with the disease.

SoxFan64
11-07-2005, 07:37 PM
As Sox fan living outside of the Chicago area, I have gotten that comment several times.

I have a ratty old Sox hat from the mid-90's. It is dirty and the band is worn to black.

So when I get "the question" I just tell them to look at my hat and you tell me when I joined the bandwagon.

My second response to "the question" is "Sure am! Proud of it too. All teams need fresh blood. I joined the bandwagon in 1964 during their pennant chase with the Yankeess; so yes I am a newcomer. How about you? When did you join?"

chisox59
11-07-2005, 08:17 PM
I've been in Colorado for 15 years and I've had people tell me that I'm the first White Sox fan they've ever known. A guy I work with has a nephew in Chicago who's a Cubs fan. His nephew said people are only Sox fans when they win. This guy told him that I wear Sox stuff all the time so he knows that's not true. I think people get this perception because we don't support the box office when we know ownership isn't trying to bring us a winner. We go to the park for baseball not for a party. When the baseball is bad we still watch the games but do it at a neighborhood bar or in our own homes. I can't tell you how many calls and emails I received from people I used to work with congratulating me for this years team. Intelligent people do notice!

Huisj
11-07-2005, 11:46 PM
I'm in my first semester as a grad student here in Champaign, so I don't know a ton of people here at all. I've gotten a number of snotty comments about my sox stuff where people seem to be implying that I'm a bandwagoner, and it makes me mad for some reason. I was actually back in Grand Rapids this last weekend visiting a bunch of my old friends from college up here, and I got endless congrats from people who know how much of a fan I've been all my life. Even though those folks aren't Sox fans, it sure would have been great to watch the playoffs and the series with them, just because they've known me for so long and wouldn't have accused me of being a bandwagoner like some of the people I've met here.

oh well, NASA cut the funding to the project I was working on, and I might not be coming back here next semester because of it, so good bye to you folks in Champaign who think I'm a fake fan. :tongue:

seanpmurphy
11-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Exactly Jurr,

I have a Sox hat you can definitely tell has been worn many many times. I hated when teachers and other students asked me if I was a bandwagon fan. I answered, I jumped no the bandwagon the day I was attending Sox games in the womb.

85% of this campus is full of morons dude. When we had those "riots" celebrating the Sox win I swear to God I saw some Cubs and Cardinals hats. I've worn my Sox hat every single day of class down here since school started in August. People probably think I'm bald at 22 or something, but no need to stop wearing it now.

lbtigerfan
11-08-2005, 01:21 AM
Well I'm down here in southern Louisiana (not to mention I'm from here)... literally one thousand miles away from Chicago so of course I am accused of being a bandwagon fan.. but I liked the Sox when they weren't so good. I used to like the Braves because my mom grew up in Atlanta. Now I've only been a fan for a few years, you can thank MUSoxfan for that, but I wouldn't consider myself a bandwagon fan. I really had no team to root for. I have always hated the Astros (a team which everyone loves around here). Sammy Sosa made me hate the Cubs long before I was a Sox fan. Not to mention, the only team around here is the Zephyrs which is just a joke. I was proud to be a Sox fan before this fantastic year... heck I even got their logo on my checks before the season even started!

Anyway.. I get accused of it allllll the time. What can you do? I just sit back and laugh because all the ones accusing me of it are Astros fans! HAHA!:redneck

ScottyTheSoxFan
11-08-2005, 02:06 PM
a guy at the bears game vs. minnesota asks me in a ******** way "that hat looks new, you just jump on the bandwagon?" he then lifts his bears jersey to show a cub shirt and says real fans stick with their team. a cub fan, calling me a bandwagon fan.

6th_starter
11-08-2005, 02:21 PM
no self respecting Sox fan would ever accuse another fan of being a bandwagoner. Period. I know who the Sox fans are, I dont need to see their pedigree. Those people calling bandwagoners -they aint Sox fans.

PKalltheway
11-09-2005, 01:18 AM
a guy at the bears game vs. minnesota asks me in a ******** way "that hat looks new, you just jump on the bandwagon?" he then lifts his bears jersey to show a cub shirt and says real fans stick with their team. a cub fan, calling me a bandwagon fan.

Trust me, he was just trying to give you a hard time. He's just jelaous that the Sox won it all.:D: Personally, I don't mind the bandwagoners as long as they don't jump off anytime soon! If you're in it, you're in it for the long haul, not just when they're good. In an earlier post, I mentioned that I had become a Sox fan in 1999, when I was in the fifth grade. I started to like them that year because of the season Magglio Ordonez was putting up and I was excited to see another good player on the Sox (I was disappointed when they let Ventura go in '98). I got hooked on the Sox for good in 2000 and haven't left them since, no matter how ugly things became (example: the 2002 season, 81-81, Todd Ritchie in the starting rotation, ugh!:mad: ) You could say I did jump on the bandwagon a little, but I haven't got off and I never will! There is nothing more exciting than following your team over the course of an entire season and watching them win it all at the end. That's an experience a bandwagoner could never know about or relate to.

Nellie_Fox
11-09-2005, 02:17 AM
...I got hooked on the Sox for good in 2000 and haven't left them since, no matter how ugly things became (example: the 2002 season, 81-81.Wow. I'm glad you're hooked, but seriously, a .500 season is nothing ugly. If you're signed on to be a Sox fan for the long haul, you'd better be ready for a .500 season to be a reason for celebration.

A lot of us on here have hung in there through a 106 loss season, and several 90 loss seasons. Those will test your loyalty.

TFLEM33
11-09-2005, 02:35 AM
I am a Sox fan from Tennessee, and I have to say that I have not had people accusing me of "jumping on the bandwagon." Instead, right after the World Series, I had so many congratulatory phone calls and emails it was ridiculous. I guess it is just that I am the ONLY White Sox fan anyone knows down here in Braves/Cardinals country. I am still on cloud nine from the World Series win. Only thing left to do is resign Paulie and win another!

PKalltheway
11-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Wow. I'm glad you're hooked, but seriously, a .500 season is nothing ugly. If you're signed on to be a Sox fan for the long haul, you'd better be ready for a .500 season to be a reason for celebration.

A lot of us on here have hung in there through a 106 loss season, and several 90 loss seasons. Those will test your loyalty.

Thankfully, I'm too young to remember the last time the Sox had a 90-loss season (1989). I was just a year old. I have been very spoiled to see great Sox baseball and not remember the last time they have been consistantly losing 90 games a year!:D:

kevin57
11-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Thankfully, I'm too young to remember the last time the Sox had a 90-loss season (1989). I was just a year old. I have been very spoiled to see great Sox baseball and not remember the last time they have been consistantly losing 90 games a year!:D:

It was no fun... :(:

But this sure is! :gulp:

tacosalbarojas
11-09-2005, 02:19 PM
It's real simple...one I show 'em my birth certificate for proof!

But, the real question is how to tell a bandwagoner. I make no judgements beforehand, but if you can't tell me the difference between Donn Pall and Josh Paul, we got problems!

chisoxfanatic
11-09-2005, 02:47 PM
I've been called a bandwagon fan because of my car's license plate (WSOXNO 1). I tell them that I've had it for two years, and that shuts them up. The thing I do not understand is that they call me a bandwagon fan, yet I have Blackhawks, Bears, Bulls, and three White Sox bumper stickers, as well as an Illinois State Alumni plate frame. If that does not spell fanatic, I don't know what else could. Some people are idiots, I'll tell you!

tschneid83
11-09-2005, 03:06 PM
I have been reading this post for the last couple of days and finally had to reply. Someone asked me today are you a real fan or not. I just ignored them and said since birth, I have no choice and I like it that way. Then after he left my office I took off my sox hat to scratch my head (which is why he realized i was a fan) and I realized a sure way to prove it to them. As I took off my hat the stench was overwhelming. You do not get something that foul from wearing a hat for a month. Just tell them to take a whiff. They will either think you are smelly in general or a die hard sox fan, either way they will prolly leave you alone now.

Maybe it is time to wash it.

SpammySosa
11-09-2005, 04:58 PM
I haven't been accused of being a bandwagon fan,but it was rather amusing to see some people suddenly notice my Sox hat at work-the same one I have worn everyday the entire 3 years I have been there.In fact,it is starting to show a lot of wear and tear and I need a new one.:smile:

rookie
04-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Saturday night I was accused of being a bandwagon fan for the first time...by a Cub fan in St. Charles. I then explained to him that my mom grew up in the Robert Taylor Homes (and now her family resides at 95th & Ashland) and that my dad is from Gary. After that he shut up.

Since he called me a bandwagoner I called him a lovable loser, he didn't seem to like that...and then he tried to tell me that the Cubs were picked most likely to win the NL according to Playboy. I said that yeah, you're going to beat the Cardinals, Astros, and Brewers. Then he backed off, and said wow, you know your baseball (just cause I knew the other teams in the NL, but maybe it was because I'm a girl).

He was a alright guy, but I've never been accused of being a bandwagoner before!

Jacob Nelson Fox
04-10-2006, 09:31 PM
I just smile and tell them the truth: "You're right, I jumped on the bandwagon in 1964, and I've been riding that baby every since!" :D:

Interestingly, my two friends and I were enjoying the "El Duque" playoff game against Boston here at a local bar when an obnoxious young lady who apparently fancied herself to be "Super Sox Fan" told us we looked like bandwagon fans. Between the 3 of us is approximately 130 years of Sox dedication.

My friend Maco just told her to "Zip it"!

VASoxfan1
04-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Since I go to school here in Boston I see bandwagon fans everyday. Since my freshman year (2003) i've had a first had look at the red sox rise to where they are now. And it seems that every year there are more and more people coming here and saying something along the lines of, "oh i go to school here in boston now but never really liked baseball but I'm a red sox fan."

Now some do get into the sport and i imagine become pretty good fans. But i think for the most part it has become trendy to be a red sox fan even before they won the series. For the most part the hardcore fans (and there are pleanty of them, just listen to sportstalk radio for more than 30 seconds) could care less about it and ignore it as has how it goes. when your team is popular thats bound to happen.

I think that for the White Sox since they won the series, and now have a more prominent spot in the national spotlight will have a similar problem. But for those of us who've been fans there whole lives (my mom said just to tell them i'm a w. sox fan becase, "my mom raised me right") just come to accept it as part of being a fan and see it as a complement in a way.

People want to be involved with this team and if they keep it up maybe they'll stick with, and if they don't....I never wanted them in the first place.

tick53
04-11-2006, 12:19 AM
Everybody who knows me, knows I"m a Sox fan. I'll punch the SOB who
accuses me of being a jumper. The only thing that really, honestly gets my
Irish up is to have someone criticize the Sox or me for being a Sox fan. :angry:

Like my signature says:

Jurr
04-11-2006, 09:19 AM
I am a Sox fan from Tennessee, and I have to say that I have not had people accusing me of "jumping on the bandwagon." Instead, right after the World Series, I had so many congratulatory phone calls and emails it was ridiculous. I guess it is just that I am the ONLY White Sox fan anyone knows down here in Braves/Cardinals country. I am still on cloud nine from the World Series win. Only thing left to do is resign Paulie and win another!
The people of the great city of Memphis know I'm a Sox fan, as evidenced by my frequent donning of jerseys or Sox hats. My poor girlfriend, on the other hand, is a Pittsburgh girl and a die hard Steelers fan. However, during the 2000 season, she started becoming passionate about the Sox. She's been a fan of the Sox ever since, sharing the good times and bad. And she STILL gets hounded by folks saying she's a bandwagon Sox fan. They insist she should be a Pirates fan. :rolleyes:

MadetoOrta
04-11-2006, 09:37 AM
I took my family to Naples for spring break and went to a Twins-Blue Jays game with my brother and our boys. We all were decked out in World Series/Sox gear. All of the reactions from the Twins fans were positive. "Way to go." "AL Central baby." I kept telling them that the Twins forced the Sox to change their ways and it made them champs. A great day. What I found amazing was how many others at the game were wearing Sox gear. I found Naples/Marco Island to be full of Sox fans. At the Ft. Myers airport, a guy at the counter at check-in said "nice hat. That was cool." Folks it's a great time to be a Sox fan. ENJOY!

LongLiveFisk
04-11-2006, 09:40 AM
These people should talk. 90% of Cubs fans are bandwagoners. If their real fans showed up there'd be 3,000 people at Wrigley for every home game, just like in 1983 before the sideshow circus came and changed everything.

EastCoastSoxFan
04-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Everyone out here who knows me knows my sports loyalties.
If I had a dollar for everyone who has said to me, "I was thinking about you during the World Series", I'd have...well, about $10.
But seriously, folks...
...when the Sox beat the Angels and my friends were offering congratulations on the Sox making the Series, I politely informed them that as far as I know, the only jumpers NOT welcome on the Sox bandwagon are Flub fans...

3rd_Gen_Sox_Fan
04-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Everybody who knows me knows I've been a diehard my entire life, but I do get this from new people I meet. This is mostly from random people as opposed to friends of friends, business aquaintances, etc.

At a bar last fall, like a week after the WS, I was talking to some chump. He claimed that since I grew up in Schaumburg it was "a sham" that I said I was a White Sox fan. My grandfather lived on the south side for many years, passed on the White Sox pride to my father, who passed it on to me. Needless to say, I got a good laugh out of it.

Bobbo35
04-11-2006, 10:09 PM
These people should talk. 90% of Cubs fans are bandwagoners. If their real fans showed up there'd be 3,000 people at Wrigley for every home game, just like in 1983 before the sideshow circus came and changed everything.

I cannot believe how bad some so called cub fans are. There are really some ignorant people, it is unbelievable. So clueless.

As for me, I think I have a problem with my White Sox Obsession. Everybody knows me as the crazy white sox fan. There is no hiding it.

Bobbo35
04-11-2006, 10:14 PM
It's real simple...one I show 'em my birth certificate for proof!

But, the real question is how to tell a bandwagoner. I make no judgements beforehand, but if you can't tell me the difference between Donn Pall and Josh Paul, we got problems!

By the way, what happened to Donn Pall possibly trying out the booth? I know he filled in some games last year when Hawk had his eye surgery. He would have been better than Singleton for the color man at 670.

miker
04-12-2006, 05:30 PM
My brother and sister-in-law caught some heat from their Cub fan neighbor last year during the playoffs, accusing them of bandwagon jumping.

The neighbor, who named his daughter Wrigley Ivy (I'm not kidding!:o: ), hasn't said much to them since last October. :D:

soxinem1
04-13-2006, 12:50 AM

Argh!!

I think my experiences were more in line with yours. I cannot count the numbskulls who pulled the 'go cubs' **** in 2003, then did the silent treatment thing like nothing was going on in 2005.

RadioheadRocks
04-13-2006, 01:15 AM
My brother and sister-in-law caught some heat from their Cub fan neighbor last year during the playoffs, accusing them of bandwagon jumping.

The neighbor, who named his daughter Wrigley Ivy (I'm not kidding!:o: ), hasn't said much to them since last October. :D:

I'll bet she ends up with a nice collection of KICK ME signs her first week in Kindergarten!

MILTMAY5
04-13-2006, 01:38 AM
I live pretty close to Toronto, so no matter where I go im accused of jumping on the bandwagon. Iv'e been a fan for 14 years now (since I was four) and have been very vocal about my love for the Sox. I think its funny that people accuse the REAL fans of jumping on the badnwagon just because they are having a good year. It was especially funny, when they guy said, "Sox fan eh, let me guess, your an Indianapolis Colts fan" I laughed and told him that I've been a fan for nearly my whole life. But in reality, who cares. No other team can say they are the 2005 World Series Champs! Here's to repeating the feat next year.I'm a Canadian Sox fan since 1981, and I get that look from people all the time too! Anybody who suffered through the Terry Bevington/Jamie Navarro/Carlos Castillo era and never once thought of jumping ship can not be considered " fair weather".

OkStateSox
04-13-2006, 01:45 AM
I have only been acused of being a bandwagon fan once (for any of my sport teams). A couple of days or so after the ALCS some random guy wearing a red sox hat got all over me on my way to class for wearing my Sox jersey and hat. He told me to get a refund on the jersey before the Astros won or some crap like that. Besides that one instance no one has ever called me a bandwagoner. More people know me as an almost delusionally loyal fan to all three of my teams (fall: OSU fooball, Spring:OSU Basketball, Summer:Sox Baseball).

Steelrod
04-13-2006, 03:54 AM
To All Bandwagon Jumpers,
Welcome aboard!
Keep em coming til we take this city over. People jumping on the North is how we lost Chicago, but soon it will again be ours. Been around long enough to see this swing both ways many times!
This will be a good ride, and you will provide the fuel.

Realist
04-13-2006, 08:10 AM
To All Bandwagon Jumpers,
Welcome aboard!
Keep em coming til we take this city over. People jumping on the North is how we lost Chicago, but soon it will again be ours. Been around long enough to see this swing both ways many times!
This will be a good ride, and you will provide the fuel.

You speak the truth. The press caterers to the bandwagon folks of whatever the hell team is raking in the chips. I think it has something to do with the lowest common denominator or some such economic mumbo jumbo.

Ideally, once you own the press, you own the hype. Once you own the hype, your team is allowed the privilege of peeing in the tall weeds with the big dogs. Everybody wants to be a big dog.

2005gosoxgo
04-14-2006, 09:02 AM
I live in New York City and have pulled for the White Sox since 1989... I even make road trip to Baltimore and Boston every year to get in as many games as I can. As i walk down 3rd avenue in Manhattan every morning, I get jabs all the time as a bandwagoner by Yankees fans all the time, not as much from Mets fans. It bothers me for a few seconds, then I remember... All i need to know is who I am, not what they think... GO SOX GO!!!

Jurr
04-14-2006, 10:49 AM
That bandwagon crap is so funny. Everybody's probably some sort of bandwagon fan if they're not from the area. Most of us are from the area, and our love from the Sox started as early as we could remember...going to those first games at 3 or 4, the players that we loved as kids, etc. My heroes were Harold Baines, Ron Kittle, and John Cangielosi (don't ask why:?: ).

If that wasn't the case, it was probably some instance where the Sox were doing something exciting. Postseason excitement is usually how fan bases are expanded. It's a stage for the team to show it's brand of baseball to new fans. May have been the 83 playoff run. It may have been the 93 Division Champs team. It could be the 2005 Sox. Who knows and who cares?

If someone is becoming a Sox fan because they just won the WS, glad to have 'em. Their money will spend at that park and boost payroll just like anyone else's. As long as they are respectful of the game, which is what Sox fans are known for (being smart fans)....we're happy to have 'em.

The new fan is welcome and shouldn't be called a bandwagoner. The new fan will never know what it's like, however, to go through YEARS and YEARS of frustration and gnashing of teeth to finally get that great redemption. If their view of the Sox consists of watching Joe Crede have a great playoffs, Pods hit a walk off homer, and Dye winning game 4 with a base hit, then they just walked into this movie, saw the ending, and missed all of the good stuff in the Sox fan experience.

Ok...I think I'm done. :wink:

LongLiveFisk
04-14-2006, 11:58 AM
My heroes were Harold Baines, Ron Kittle, and John Cangielosi (don't ask why:?: ).

I really like Cangelosi too....he was one of the few bright spots on that dismal '86 team! :tongue:

chisox
04-14-2006, 03:42 PM
I live in New York City and have pulled for the White Sox since 1989... I even make road trip to Baltimore and Boston every year to get in as many games as I can. As i walk down 3rd avenue in Manhattan every morning, I get jabs all the time as a bandwagoner by Yankees fans all the time, not as much from Mets fans. It bothers me for a few seconds, then I remember... All i need to know is who I am, not what they think... GO SOX GO!!!

yo, 2005 welcome to wsi. i'm here in nyc too. it's too bad you didn't register last fall...i watched game four alone in a bar. we need to try to get some type of wsi nyc gathering organized.

i was accused of being a bandwagoner for wearing a brand new ws sox hat. the guy says, "woah, that hat looks awful new. is there room on the bandwagon?".

2005gosoxgo
04-16-2006, 10:18 AM
I regestered last winter before the season started , im always on the site, I just dont post much. I've got box seats to all the Yankees / Sox games in July... Let me know if you want to meet up for a game

cws05champ
04-16-2006, 10:35 AM
I regestered last winter before the season started , im always on the site, I just dont post much. I've got box seats to all the Yankees / Sox games in July... Let me know if you want to meet up for a game

I'll be up in NYC in July for the Fri/Sat games the Sox play in Yankee stadium. My first time there...if you are going PM me and maybe we'll meet up at the stadium before the game.

ewokpelts
04-16-2006, 11:08 AM
yo, 2005 welcome to wsi. i'm here in nyc too. it's too bad you didn't register last fall...i watched game four alone in a bar. we need to try to get some type of wsi nyc gathering organized.

i was accused of being a bandwagoner for wearing a brand new ws sox hat. the guy says, "woah, that hat looks awful new. is there room on the bandwagon?".
Just reply back with this:
I wanted to get a Yankees WS hat, but I guess they dont make those when you choke in the first round.

Gene

itsnotrequired
04-16-2006, 11:39 AM
I wanted to get a Yankees WS hat, but I guess they dont make those when you choke in the first round.

Gene
Its more of a burn if you don't even mention the early post-season exit. They know how their team "performed".:cool:

kevingrt
04-16-2006, 11:41 AM
So true and so annoying... anytime I wear a Sox shirt some Cardinal or Cub fan in Missouri goes "you guys must have a big bandwagon." I just laugh and keep walking.

34rancher
04-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Anyone who knows me has never questioned my allegiances...But if they do, I just tell them about WSI and tell them to check my join date (or the old rival site for those of you who have been around long enough). Then I tell them about people like SonnyBonoSkiPro...enough for them to say ok...If that is not enough, then I just show them my collection of ticketstubs (well over 800)...

credeistheman
04-16-2006, 10:31 PM

Gene

ahahahahah. nice.

ChiSoxLifer
04-16-2006, 11:02 PM

Of course it's brand new. How long have they been selling 2005 World Series hats?

Nellie_Fox
04-17-2006, 01:33 AM
I don't think I ever started a thread that lasted over five months before. :tongue:

By the way, just last week I was leaving work, carrying my empty lunch box with the beat up, grungy White Sox sticker on it. The school's wrestling coach, who's a friend, said "when did you put that on there, last October?"

QCIASOXFAN
04-17-2006, 01:58 AM
I know how you feel, I live in the Quad Cites (Davenport) and have been a Sox fan all my life, have always had a Sox sticker on my car, always worn a Sox hat and if I ever meet a new Cub fan he always asks me if I liked them before the series. Last time I wore my Scotty Po Po jersey out some lame cub fan asked me that. So annoying. I think the major problem is I live in Iowa, where their has always been a scarce population of Sox fans. I see more nowdays around here though!

Nellie_Fox
04-17-2006, 02:29 AM
And I should have given the thread one of these:
:tomatoaward:

rookiewhitesox
04-24-2006, 12:35 AM
I love this discussion. I think the "bandwagon" problem stems from the fact that there are a lot of "closet" Sox fans.

I knew that a lot of people I worked with were Sox fans. But, during the latter half of the season I found out that a lot more co-workers were Sox fans but just never showed it. Everybody at my job knows that I'm a passionate White Sox fan. I've been on my job for 28 years and I've always publicly shown it, so, during the playoffs, the "secret" Sox fans would approach me and start talking about the Sox. They knew that they were in good company and that it was "safe" to come out. The "closeted" fans began to get more excited as the playoffs heated up and it became hard to contain their enthusiasm. Granted, some of them were not "rabid" Sox fans but they certainly were not "fence-straddlers." I think some of these people never felt comfortable showing they were Sox fans or talking about it because they felt like second class citizens.

I was also AMAZED at how many people I associate with during my work day were also Sox fans. I mean real Sox fans. It's been incredible. During the playoffs, I would talk to someone on the phone and mention how happy I was about the Sox and the next thing I know I'm in a 20-minute conversation about the White Sox. I mean I've talked to some of these people for years and never knew they were Sox fans. These people also cross all generations, races, etc. I was just shocked. Now I understand the meaning of the SOX PRIDE campaign. I didn't get it before since I've always been a Sox fan and I've always been proud of that fact but I never realized that there were so many other Sox fans were afraid or ashamed to show their allegiance. I mostly blame the media for making them feel that way.

As our recent rally showed, it was finally OK for these fans to come out of the closet and declare their allegiance to the Sox. I WELCOME our closeted brothers and sisters and I also WELCOME any and all who want to jump on the bandwagon (except that once you're on you can't jump back off). Quite frankly, I don't see a reason why anyone would want to.
I was a secret SOX fan. My friends was all into the Cubs. so those years I just kept it to myself. Now its all about SOX pride.
Thank you Chicago White Sox ! !