PDA

View Full Version : Konerko and Sciosia (maybe) don't like each other?

Vernam
11-05-2005, 11:30 PM
Remember in the ALCS when Sciosia said in a post-game pool interview that he was partly responsible for steering Konerko away from being a catcher? I thought his comments were humorous and pretty gracious, though possibly a little condescending. He said:

"You could see from a very young age what kind of hitter he was going to be. You could also see from a very young age what kind of catcher he wasn't going to be, and I think that once that decision was made to move him out from behind the plate to first base, he relaxed, and you could see that offensive talent take hold."

The next night, Konerko was asked to respond, and he was fairly gracious, too. But I thought he bristled a little at what Sciosia had said. Today I mentioned it to my wife, who said she'd had the same reaction.

So I'm clinging to the hope that Paulie doesn't especially like Sciosia. Coach-player relationships like that are tricky. The bottom line is that the Dodgers gave up on Konerko, and it's not far-fetched to think Sciosia's asessment of him played some small role. A proud player like Konerko wouldn't like being told he wasn't good enough to catch, even if he eventually realized it was true. During the ALCS, he didn't seem especially happy to be reminded of that time.

Just a thought . . . Between the Sox and Angels, I know which manager I'd prefer to play for.

Vernam

Banix12
11-06-2005, 12:47 AM
A huge contract can sometimes heal these rifts.

I didn't read too much into it, though I don't think I ever saw Konerko's response.

Though i'll bet he wasn't particularly happy in LA when he was there. Always blocked by someone and when he finally did get the the majors they moved him around the field to keep Karros in the lineup.

VenturaSoxFan23
11-06-2005, 10:48 AM
I remember hearing that on an ALCS post-game. PK was asked to respond and he said something about how "it was partially the fault of the catching instructor I had", which was Scioscia. Got a nice little chuckle from the media corps. But he digressed and said "it was either stay at catcher and go back to A-ball or try 1B and start the season at Double-A. So I grabbed my glove (and went to AA.)"
I heard Scioscia got a little upset at that comment.

Mingo
11-06-2005, 11:42 AM
When the Reds Acquired Konerko from the Dodgers - I believe the Dodgers thought he had a degenerative hip conditional or a genetic problem with is hip. Anyone know if Konerko still has a hip problem? It would certainly be information that would impact your career as catcher.

antitwins13
11-06-2005, 07:58 PM
The only thing that is going to matter to Paulie is who is more friendly to his bank account. If it's the Sox I'll be thrilled Paulie's coming back, but it's naive to think that a few post-game comments won't be water under the bridge for the right price tag.

MarySwiss
11-06-2005, 08:14 PM
The only thing that is going to matter to Paulie is who is more friendly to his bank account. If it's the Sox I'll be thrilled Paulie's coming back, but it's naive to think that a few post-game comments won't be water under the bridge for the right price tag.

I'd rather be naive than cynical.

Vernam
11-07-2005, 01:11 AM
I'd rather be naive than cynical.Thanks for defending my honor, MarySwiss. :cheers: BTW, I wouldn't expect PK or any other player to turn down millions over some slight personality issue. But comfort means a lot in a sport as neurotic as baseball. Ozzie's players seem extremely comfortable with him; I'm not saying Sciosia's a bad guy, but his players sure were tight in the ALCS for some reason. It could make a difference if KW's final offer is comparable to the Angels'.

Vernam

FoulkeFan
11-07-2005, 09:13 AM
If the Angels offer a lot more $$$, Paulie ends up there. Ever since A-Rod swore up and down that he REALLY, REALLY wanted to play for the Rangers, took the cash and then ended up with the Yankees anyway, I don't think players assume that they have to stay with the team that gives them the big contract. They take the money up front and worry about how much they're going to like their new team later.