PDA

View Full Version : burnitz

getonbckthr
11-05-2005, 10:30 PM
If we were able to sign Frank to an incentive based contract, would you object to signing Burnitz if it was in budget. Go Frank versus lefties and Burnitz against righties.

SoxSpeed22
11-05-2005, 10:36 PM
I thought about that...but no.

veeter
11-05-2005, 10:50 PM
I'd rather keep Carl.

It's Time
11-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Burnitz sucks. Pass!

Banix12
11-05-2005, 11:00 PM
If he would agree to be a reserve at his age and would agree to a contract that would fit in the budget, I don't have really huge problem with him. I just don't think that is going to happen.

He'll probably take a deal similar to the one he passed up from the pirates last season unless a contender is willing to hand him a starting job.

To me he basically seems a little like Carl everett with just a little extra power and he can still play the OF pretty well.

Like last year, he'll probably also be one of the last power hitters left on the free agent market. Just before spring training if a team feels they are missing some pop they'll give him a deal.

Who gets signed first this offseason, Burnitz or Sosa?

LuvSox
11-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Who gets signed first this offseason, Burnitz or Sosa?

MLB or Japan?

Banix12
11-05-2005, 11:10 PM
MLB or Japan?

Either one, just who gets a contract first. I've gotta think Burnitz

SOXintheBURGH
11-05-2005, 11:14 PM
:roidduck

"Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so!"

StockdaleForVeep
11-06-2005, 01:58 AM
:roidduck

"Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so!"

:rolling:

Professor
11-06-2005, 08:00 AM
No to Burnitz!

TomBradley72
11-06-2005, 08:49 AM
No...and not just because of Burnitz's deteriorating skills...with Frank (only a DH/can't run at all) taking up a roster spot.....the bench spots this year need to help with flexibility (ie. play more than 1 position, help with speed, etc.)

SOXSINCE'70
11-06-2005, 08:56 AM
:hawk
"No".

jabrch
11-06-2005, 09:38 AM
I don't think Burnitz will be a platoon anywhere. He still plays above average RF, would be a competent emergency CF, hits for power, and has a decent ability to get on base. He's not great - but someone will be starting him somewhere this year. I just don't think that would be us. I'd rather see some of our in-house options like Anderson playing every day over Burnitz.

Garland_IS_God
11-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Burnitz strikes out way too much. I'd pass.

skobabe8
11-06-2005, 02:04 PM
yuck

Banix12
11-06-2005, 04:17 PM
No...and not just because of Burnitz's deteriorating skills...with Frank (only a DH/can't run at all) taking up a roster spot.....the bench spots this year need to help with flexibility (ie. play more than 1 position, help with speed, etc.)

He would provide defensive flexibility. He still plays a very good corner OF, he can play Center Field adequately, and has an arm as strong and accurate as anybody currently on the sox. He has basically average speed but he usually has been a very good baserunner in his career.

There are plenty of reasons to not like Jeromy Burnitz, strikeouts, long looping swing, etc. His ability to play the field and flexibility is not one of them.

I'm sure he wants to start though so him coming here wouldn't happen anyway.

antitwins13
11-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Burnitz sucks. Pass!

Pretty much says it all. He won't play the kind of team baseball that Ozzie wants to play, and he can't make up for it with great power numbers. I'll pass. The only Cub I'd take to replace Konerko would be Derrek Lee.

Chips
11-06-2005, 07:47 PM
I'd rather keep Carl.

Me too, Carl is younger and has a career average 20 points higher than Burnitz.

Tragg
11-06-2005, 10:49 PM
He would provide defensive flexibility.
Brian Anderson can also provide defensive flexibility.

Banix12
11-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Brian Anderson can also provide defensive flexibility.

Yes he certainly can, nobody has said otherwise. My post was to refute the other poster who said Burnitz doesn't provide defensive flexibility though, it had nothing to do with Brian Anderson. Though certainly that is another reason why the sox have little reason to acquire Burnitz or a player like him.

DumpJerry
11-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Brian Anderson will be the person who fills in for Frank.

Scammy is no longer welcome in MLB. He did not produce this year and his attitude (disappearing while on the DL among other stunts) killed his market value to zero.

LuvSox
11-06-2005, 11:51 PM
and has an arm as strong and accurate as anybody currently on the sox.

You really think he can match Dye's arm? I've never paid attention to his defense, just his batting. He looks ridiculous in the batters box.

Banix12
11-07-2005, 12:33 AM
You really think he can match Dye's arm? I've never paid attention to his defense, just his batting. He looks ridiculous in the batters box.
Throughout his career he has had a very strong arm. I wouldn't be suprised if it were equal to or stronger than Dye's. He's also very accurate.

And yeah, he does look very rediculous in the batter's box. Though even with the strikeouts it is hard to argue with the level of run production he has had over the years, often on pretty lousy teams.

Foulke You
11-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Throughout his career he has had a very strong arm. I wouldn't be suprised if it were equal to or stronger than Dye's. He's also very accurate.

And yeah, he does look very rediculous in the batter's box. Though even with the strikeouts it is hard to argue with the level of run production he has had over the years, often on pretty lousy teams.
Dye has a stronger arm than Burnitz in my opinion. It is an absolute cannon. Burnitz has a solid arm but not up to Dye's level.

Norberto7
11-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Dye has a stronger arm than Burnitz in my opinion. It is an absolute cannon.

I'll admit I don't watch as much baseball as most of you guys, but I don't remember ever really being "wow"ed by Dye's arm. I saw Vlad throw in the ALDS, I'd say that was an "absolute cannon". I'd say Uribe has an infield cannon.

Can you point to a Dye "wow" throw during the year? I'm not saying there aren't any, I just don't remember any.

Foulke You
11-10-2005, 02:07 PM
I'll admit I don't watch as much baseball as most of you guys, but I don't remember ever really being "wow"ed by Dye's arm. I saw Vlad throw in the ALDS, I'd say that was an "absolute cannon". I'd say Uribe has an infield cannon.

Can you point to a Dye "wow" throw during the year? I'm not saying there aren't any, I just don't remember any.
I can't think of a specific game however I do remember a few that "wowed" me. There was a few times Dye threw home from RF and actually made it a close play at home that shouldn't have been or at 2nd base where many other RFs throws would have had the runner heading into the base standing up and he made a play on them.

I also remember him nailing runners at 2nd or firing it in on a relay throw to Iguchi that ended up with the runner being out.

I will say there are stronger arms in baseball than Dye (Ichiro and Vlad come to mind). However, Dye would probably make a top 10 outfield arms list and I certainly think he fires it harder than Burnitz.

slavko
11-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Jeromy gave the Blue Goofs a better year than they deserved to get from a last minute signee. He doesn't belong with us for numerous reasons. But, I do find his baserunning adventures amusing. If I were he, I'd consider Japan.

We've got younguns ready to go, lets play them.

Banix12
11-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Jeromy gave the Blue Goofs a better year than they deserved to get from a last minute signee. He doesn't belong with us for numerous reasons. But, I do find his baserunning adventures amusing. If I were he, I'd consider Japan.

We've got younguns ready to go, lets play them.

I don't think he'll go as far as Japan. It's a weak FA market, he has good power. My guess a non-contender will give him a two year deal, kind of like the one the Pirates offered him last season. He declined that deal to go play for a team with a better chance at the playoffs. He'll be one of the last guys signed as he waits hoping he gets another 1 year deal from a contender.

Foulke You
11-10-2005, 05:50 PM
I don't think he'll go as far as Japan. It's a weak FA market, he has good power. My guess a non-contender will give him a two year deal, kind of like the one the Pirates offered him last season. He declined that deal to go play for a team with a better chance at the playoffs. He'll be one of the last guys signed as he waits hoping he gets another 1 year deal from a contender.
He'll sign with someone in MLB. No way does he go to Japan. Burnitz puts up respectable power numbers and is a proven commodity in MLB. Plus, he hits left handed and has serviceable fielding skills. I could even see a team with a DH need signing him.

That being said, I don't think he fits in with the White Sox. He'll probably end up with another NL team.

getonbckthr
11-11-2005, 01:09 AM

There was a game against Minnesota where there was just a smashed line drive right at JD, he caught it and flat footed just taking 1 step forward, not any running moment forward, threw a dart to AJ.