PDA

View Full Version : Sox an underrated champion?

PKalltheway
11-05-2005, 11:28 PM
What team do you think was the most underrated champion of all time? Be honest!:smile:

PKalltheway
11-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Oops, I also forgot the 1990 Reds! Do any of you think they were the most underrated over these six teams? Sound off, White Sox fans!

LuvSox
11-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Let's face it, every winning team is underrated these days unless they come from the East coast or the North side of Chicago (pushing 100 years, but you know what I mean)

PKalltheway
11-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Let's face it, every winning team is underrated these days unless they come from the East coast or the North side of Chicago (pushing 100 years, but you know what I mean)

That's unfortunately true. We even got snubbed on the cover of Sports Illustrated this week. Come on Manning v.s. Brady.... its happened before people within the last 3 years rather than the last 88!

TheOldRoman
11-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Well, it is a complicated question.
The 03 Marlins got absolutely no credit. The media ignored their win and pretended it didn't happen. For them, the only stories in the playoffs were the Cubs choking and the Yankees outlasting the Red Sox. They got no respect whatsoever because they were completely ignored.

The White Sox, on the other hand, were not ignored. They were bashed non-stop in the press throughout the entire season. Whether it was fatboy Kruk circling empty seats with a telestrator or the moron Brantley claiming we were a fluke, they all trashed the Sox. They made excuses for us the entire season, excuses for why such a "horrible" team was doing so good. Because of that, I believe we were more underrated, although the Marlins certainly were, also.

SoxSpeed22
11-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Well, it is a complicated question.
The 03 Marlins got absolutely no credit. The media ignored their win and pretended it didn't happen. For them, the only stories in the playoffs were the Cubs choking and the Yankees outlasting the Red Sox. They got no respect whatsoever because they were completely ignored.Oh I disagree. Josh Beckett and Jack McKeon were borderline sainted for '03. A lot of people picked Beckett to win the Cy Young in '04 and the fish to contend for a while. Also, they lost Pudge. Losing Konerko would be about as bad, but we are a LOT more respect-less than them.

PKalltheway
11-06-2005, 12:25 AM
We were very underrated this year, but the '03 Marlins take the cake. All the stupid yuppies were wanting the Red Sox and the Cubs to make it but it didn't happen. It was true that we were getting bashed by the media all year and in that way we got attention. The Marlins didn't even get the time of day from the media. Special mention: 1990 Reds (The biggest, yet most forgotten upset in World Series history)

TheOldRoman
11-06-2005, 12:29 AM
Oh I disagree. Josh Beckett and Jack McKeon were borderline sainted for '03. A lot of people picked Beckett to win the Cy Young in '04 and the fish to contend for a while. Also, they lost Pudge. Losing Konerko would be about as bad, but we are a LOT more respect-less than them.
I agree, and they also hyped the hell out of Willis at the start of 04. However, I think most of the Marlins love happened at the start of the 04 season, not right after the WS. I think the media was all ready to crown the Yankees champs in the 03 series, and was just baffled when they lost. They mostly came up with the "Red Sox and Yankees killed eachother and that is the only reason the Marlins won" bs.

jehosaphat
11-06-2005, 12:36 AM
To be honest, I didn't give a hoot or a tweat or whatever sound it is a blue jay makes about Toronto either. But, for a team that won back to back championships, I don't think there is a team in history of baseball that has been more dismissed, forgotten, ignored, yada yada than the Jays of ninety er uh, when did they win it? Oh well, who cares.

PS: Was it Jimmy or Billy Carter who was their RBI guy? oh wait a second, it was June, June Carter Cash, or maybe is was Mother Mabel Carter, or perhaps it was Amy, what the heck, it could have been any old Joe.:smile:

kevin57
11-06-2005, 08:43 AM
For me, it was a bit of a toss-up between us and the '93 Marlins, but looking at how the post-season awards (e.g., GG) have gone so far, I have to give it to the '05 Sox.

TommyJohn
11-06-2005, 09:06 AM
I would say the White Sox, but I'm biased. The 2003 Marlins got absolutely
no credit. They pulled off a stunning comeback in the NLCS and beat the
mighty Yankees in the series. And what happened? The media chose to
focus on how the Cubs lost, and would've won had it not been for Bartman.
They also focused on how the Red Sox lost, crushing the spirits of fans
and continuing to torture them. They focused on the media wet dream
World Series that wasn't. The final insult was USA Today running a simulated
series between the Red Sox and Cubs during the real series. How's that for
no respect? Whenever anyone still brings up 2003, the Marlins are an
afterthought.

I also agree on the 1990 Reds. The beat the A's and Tony the genius four
straight. 4th wire-to-wire team, the first since the 1927 Yankees
to sweep the World Series, that should count for something.

SOXSINCE'70
11-06-2005, 10:04 AM
I still don't think the Sox get any respect.Most of the people I
talk to congratulate me on the WS win,but I know they're thinking
"even a blind squirrel can find an accorn".That's why I like the fact
that KW isn't satisfied with one.The Sox need to win at least 2
before the EaStern Seaboard Putz Network even gives them credit.:angry:

Realist
11-06-2005, 10:25 AM
When we were losing 4 to 0 to Astros in game 3 I turned towards cheeses and said, "If we come back and win this game, we're the greatest baseball team that has ever played the game."

We did and we are. Unless everybody in the world understands that fact, the 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox are to be considered underrated. No team ever could have beaten that team. Of course I could be wrong. I'm just speaking excathedra. :smile:

Railsplitter
11-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Underrated? How about the 1976 Reds? the had the only perfect postseason of the Championship Series era, but are overshadowed by the previous year's Cinncy team.

MadetoOrta
11-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Oops, I also forgot the 1990 Reds! Do any of you think they were the most underrated over these six teams? Sound off, White Sox fans!

Great post!! I kept referencing the '90 Reds all year to my friends and colleagues. What a solid squad. No question, the most underrated. They humiliated a more talented Oakland team. Re Reds: I sure glad we have Chris Young and they don't! Let your friends in Cincy know the Reds' management screwed up. [I love doing this .....]

WORLD CHAMPS BABY!!!!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

skobabe8
11-06-2005, 02:56 PM
I dont consider the Jays being underrated. Looking back, I remember them as being AWESOME in the early 90s. Sick lineup, and a real good pitching staff. If you dont remember, pull out your handy "Good Guys, And Winners, Wear Black" video documenting the 1993 Chicago White Sox season.

I voted for us, followed closely by the 03 fish. That postseason was more remembered for who lost and how it was lost rather than who won.

NWSox
11-06-2005, 03:34 PM
I don't think Wild Card champions can complain about being underrated. The Marlins were good but had one of those playoffs that probably can't be repeated. The 02 Angels were a good team as well and played in a tough division. The 92-93 Jays were very well-respected at the time so I don't think they are underrated. The 87 Twins are possibly the worst WS Champ of all time so they can't be considered underrated.

The White Sox and 90 Reds can make a strong case for being underrated - people think of their success as a fluke but both led wire-to-wire and had dominating playoffs. Both had impressive seasons but because no one predicted them to be so good, their success has been discounted.

Baby Fisk
11-06-2005, 09:33 PM
What's this crap about the Blue Jays? Do you realise the Jays of 1992 and 1993 had the highest payrolls in baseball? Underrated, WHAT??? :?:

PKalltheway
11-07-2005, 01:11 AM
True, but for a team that won back to back World Series titles, they are very forgotten. Between 1985 and 1993, no other team won as many World Series (2) or division titles (5) as the Blue Jays and nobody knows about that either.

fusillirob1983
11-07-2005, 01:56 AM
True, but for a team that won back to back World Series titles, they are very forgotten. Between 1985 and 1993, no other team won as many World Series (2) or division titles (5) as the Blue Jays and nobody knows about that either.

I didn't know about the division titles thing, but I was 9 years old and didn't really follow baseball until 1990-1991ish. The first World Series I watched was Twins vs. Braves in 1991. I clearly remember how good the Blue Jays were in those '92 and '93 World Series years though.

gowhitesox
11-17-2005, 08:55 AM
The 2005 White Sox would have to be right up there among the most underrated champions. Unless a champion is from the east coast they are going to be underrated.

To me the 2005 Sox is the greatest White Sox team ever.

DaleJRFan
11-17-2005, 09:14 AM
I think the fact that two registered users picked the 92 and 93 Blue Jays says a lot. Is DJ a WSI member??

Flight #24
11-17-2005, 09:57 AM
IMO the Sox are definitely NOT the most underrated WS champ. What they are is the most UNRATED champ. No one's even talked much about them at all nationally since Jenks threw that ball to Paulie.

HChappasJr
11-17-2005, 10:53 AM
What team do you think was the most underrated champion of all time? Be honest!:smile:

I think the 1944 Browns were underrated.

gowhitesox
11-17-2005, 12:43 PM
IMO the Sox are definitely NOT the most underrated WS champ. What they are is the most UNRATED champ. No one's even talked much about them at all nationally since Jenks threw that ball to Paulie.

Good point, never thought of it that way.

Jerko
11-17-2005, 12:45 PM
As long as the word "Champion" is involved, I'll take underrated, unrated, prorated, whateverrated. We're still the Champs.

pythons007
11-17-2005, 12:46 PM
During the 92-93 years I remember the Jays as a really good team, and as someome stated earlier the highest paid team (todays Yanks). I don't remember the Yankees or Boston at all mentioned from my recollection (but I was only 12). IMO, I believe when ESPN and all the networks started to love the Yanks and RedSox in the later 90s.

The Marlins I remember as Beckett as the next Rockett and McKeon as a guru of baseball. I don't think this team was underrated at all. They talked up Pudge and what he did throughout the playoffs.

As for our 05 WhiteSox, they were thrown through the mud all year, said they didn't have what it took to make/win the playoffs. Then were completely written off as the World Series started. I couldn't believe how much Joe Buck and Tim McGarver talked up all the bad calls and saying everything was going the Sox way. This was one of the worst announced series of all time. This was the most underrated teams in history, but one of the best of all times.
They can all kiss my :booty:!

Who cares what the rest of the nation thinks of our 2005 White Sox. They won the World Series and there is nothing that can take that away from them.

Chicken Dinner
11-17-2005, 01:03 PM
http://www.riverviewschool.org/images/world.series.trophy.jpg

Rate This!!