PDA

View Full Version : years from now how will the 2005 world series be viewed by baseball fans?

richb2
11-05-2005, 09:25 PM
I was just curious will this series get the respect that it deserves? I thought they were 4 very great games that had a lot of great plays and went down to the wire. I might be biased, since I am a sox fan but years down the line will people say what a great world series or just yawn? As times goes by will people outside of chicago say wow it was a classic?

JB98
11-05-2005, 09:31 PM
I was just curious will this series get the respect that it deserves? I thought they were 4 very great games that had a lot of great plays and went down to the wire. I might be biased, since I am a sox fan but years down the line will people say what a great world series or just yawn? As times goes by will people outside of chicago say wow it was a classic?

They will yawn. A series needs to go six or seven games to be considered a great World Series. There were some very good individual games in the series. But since the Sox won all of them, I'm sure that took out a lot of the drama for fans without a rooting interest in the series.

oeo
11-05-2005, 10:21 PM
They will yawn. A series needs to go six or seven games to be considered a great World Series. There were some very good individual games in the series. But since the Sox won all of them, I'm sure that took out a lot of the drama for fans without a rooting interest in the series.

I disagree, look at Boston's World Series last year. It's one of the greatest things ever to happen to baseball.

I think this team will be looked back at, at how great it really was. The unbelievable wire-to-wire season, the big comebacks, the four complete games in a row, the Granny by Paulie, the walk-off by Podsednik, the Blum homerun in the amazing 14 inning game, the 1-0 victory to win the series...I'm probably biased, but from a baseball fan's point of view these were HUGE. Eventually the 2005 White Sox will be looked at as one of the greatest teams ever, I think, and I hope.

As for the series, I think when they are looked at as one of the greatest teams ever, people will begin to respect the series for what it really was. An awesome World Series.

FedEx227
11-05-2005, 10:24 PM
I think this team will be looked back at, at how great it really was.

We aren't the Red Sox, Yankees or Cubs, so it won't be looked back on at all...

it'll will be shown but never put in the annals of time like other World Series have, I wish it wasn't the case but its the sad truth of the east-coast media domination.

chisoxmike
11-05-2005, 10:31 PM
I think this team gets their due 10-20 years from now and they will be known as the great team that they showed throughout the season. The record in one run, two run games, the record in the postseason, and the pitching staff will go down as one of the greatest teams in baseball history, just not now.

Some may argue that since they sweapt the World Series nobody will talk about them, but I think over time that will only add to the teams story.

RealMenWearBlack
11-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Eventually the 2005 White Sox will be looked at as one of the greatest teams ever, I think, and I hope.

I don't think they'll specifically about the 2005 team, but I think that people will remember the Sox of the early 2000s once we win a few more and become a dynasty.

oeo
11-05-2005, 11:05 PM

it'll will be shown but never put in the annals of time like other World Series have, I wish it wasn't the case but its the sad truth of the east-coast media domination.

I don't care who we are, 20 years down the road who knows what is thought of the Red Sox, Yankees, or Cubs. The Red Sox may no longer care, the Yankees are Steinbrennerless, the Cubs will eventually be ignored for the losers they are and our championship is going to put a hurting on their fanbase. Stop thinking that these three teams are going to change what this team was, this was one of the best postseason runs, ever. The media cannot ignore the records we broke during the season, the wire-to-wire season, the 12-1 playoffs, the sweep of the World Series, the unbelievable job done by our starting staff in the ALCS. This team will be respected...eventually, stop bringing up the Red Sox, Yankees, and Cubs. They had nothing to do with this season.

richb2
11-06-2005, 12:12 AM
I think one of the main things that will hurt this world series is that it was short---but who cares. I think however that all the records that the sox tied or made and the endings of each game will make this series age like a fine wine. Will it be considered a classic maybe not but I also think it will not be forgotten either. In my eyes as a sox fan it will be a classic.

Ekwall
11-06-2005, 12:25 AM
This won't be remembered as one of the great World Series, mainly because of the sweep. However, after winning 99 games and going 11-1 in the playoffs, there's no way the '05 Sox won't be remembered as one of the all-time greatest teams.

greenpeach
11-06-2005, 12:33 AM
I think this team gets their due 10-20 years from now and they will be known as the great team that they showed throughout the season. The record in one run, two run games, the record in the postseason, and the pitching staff will go down as one of the greatest teams in baseball history, just not now.

Some may argue that since they sweapt the World Series nobody will talk about them, but I think over time that will only add to the teams story.

A lot will depend on what we do in 2006. If we fall back to the pack, it will probably deemed as a "fluke" or catching lightning in a bottle. If we make the playoffs the next several years it will be viewed as the beginning of a great run. Either way, do you really care ? I sure as hell don't.

Nellie_Fox
11-06-2005, 12:37 AM
I'm hoping it's looked back on as the start of the great White Sox dynasty. :D:

Taliesinrk
11-06-2005, 12:48 AM
I don't think that the series will be looked upon and regarded as truly memorable (which is a shame because it was actually very, very good from a true baseball fan's perspective). Rather, it will be the 2005 White Sox which will be looked back upon as defining (and hopefully re-defining) what a great team truly is: how baseball should be truly played. It won't be the October to remember for most; but, at least for those who know something about baseball, it will be the summer to remember.

IlliniSox4Life
11-06-2005, 02:31 AM
It would be nice that after the years of steroid use around baseball, in 20-50 years it is generally accepted that this White Sox team, coupled with the new 'roid policies in baseball, was a driving force in bringing baseball back to the way it should be played: Pitching, Defense, and Frank Thomas.

CaptainBallz
11-06-2005, 03:33 AM
The 2005 World Series will most likely be overlooked as a historic World Series compared to others in the past.
I do believe, though, that the 2005 White Sox team will go down as a historic team in the annals of baseball history. There's too much there for it to be denied. From the amazing start, to the huge ASB lead, to the drama down the stretch that lead to nothing less than their total DOMINANCE of the post-season and the clinch of the Championship.

Maybe not on an emotional national level, but to baseball fans...I'd have to say, yeah, this team will be discussed for years to come.

TornLabrum
11-06-2005, 07:18 AM
I think the 2005 World Series may go down in history as one of the most exciting sweeps in the history of the Series. How could it not be. Six runs separated the two teams. One game set the record for length and tied the record for most innings in a World Series.

Fox didn't know what it had and didn't know how to promote it.

TommyJohn
11-06-2005, 07:56 AM
I agree with the poster who said that this isn't about the Yankees, Red Sox
or Cubs, so forget about it. I mean, look at 1988. The Dodgers are looked at
as a team that that pulled off two stunning upsets, and the Kirk Screaming
psychobanshee moment is considered a great moment in baseball history.
Think it would be viewed that way if Kirk Psycho screamed his lungs out for
for the Phillies or Padres? I don't.

I would love to see the 2005 White Sox go down as one of baseball history's
"one year" teams, like the 1985 Bears. (Of course, time will only tell if they
go further than just 05) Take a sampling of what is being said about them
now. Think they'll be viewed as such? I don't; not as long as baseball history
continues to be written by the Mr. Peepers of the world. The 2004 Red Sox
sweep will be revered, honored and looked upon as one of the greatest things
ever to happen to the grand old game. The 2005 White Sox sweep will not.
After all, no one watched, right? If no one watched, that means it wasn't
great.

Of course, before I groan and moan myself senseless, let me say again that
only time will tell.

kevin57
11-06-2005, 07:56 AM
I concur with these last few posts.

The '05 Series will not get its props because it didn't go 6 or 7 games and did not involve a "fabled" team like the Bosox.

The '05 White Sox team, though, will be viewed as a great team, one that returned baseball to its roots, away from roids to pitching and defense. Now, I believe that only die-hard baseball fans will get this. The casual fan and the media that peddles HRs and hitting in general will never get it, nor want to get it.

oeo
11-06-2005, 10:41 AM
A lot will depend on what we do in 2006. If we fall back to the pack, it will probably deemed as a "fluke" or catching lightning in a bottle. If we make the playoffs the next several years it will be viewed as the beginning of a great run. Either way, do you really care ? I sure as hell don't.

Next year won't have anything to do with it...winning 99 games and going 12-1 in the playoffs is definately not a fluke. If the Cubs won in 2003, that would have been a fluke. Actually, you can call it a fluke still.

VenturaSoxFan23
11-06-2005, 10:50 AM
:farmer

"Get 'em on, get 'em over, get 'em in!"

That's Smartball.

ode to veeck
11-06-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm hoping it's looked back on as the start of the great White Sox dynasty. :D:

POTW material Nellie!

Go Sox!

IowaSox1971
11-07-2005, 03:19 AM
I think Sports Illustrated reported that only two teams have ever gone wire-to-wire in first place, finished with the best record in their league and swept the World Series. One was the 1927 Yankees, and the other was the 2005 White Sox.

The 2005 White Sox, whether the national media like it or not, were one of the greatest teams in history. And each of the four games we won against the Astros could be considered a classic. Game 2 might have been the best World Series game of all-time. If the national media and baseball historians don't want to give proper credit to the 2005 White Sox or to the 2005 World Series, then they're not doing their jobs.

Procol Harum
11-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Except for a few baseball afficionados outside the realm of White Sox fandom, I doubt the 2005 Series will register much of a blip in terms of long-term myth-making. Let's face it, it was a 4-game sweep that wasn't watched by that many people and was given very little hype or luv from much of the national media. Echoing Nellie's comment, here's hoping that it is but the first trumpet blast of an emerging baseball dynasty.

TDog
11-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Next year won't have anything to do with it...

Next year won't detract from what the Sox accomplished this year. I imagine that if the Sox get out to a slow start in '06, people will be saying, "I told you they weren't very good." It won't change the fact that the '05 Sox never played a team with a better record and won 16 of their last 17 games, going 10-1 against teams fighting to extend their season after getting at least 93 regular-season wins and recording a near-perfect 11-1 playoff run. It was an awesome season. Next year won't change that.

As far as people remembering the World Series for its greatness, next year could make a big difference. How many people remember the '72 World Series? How many more remember the greatness of the A's in '72, '73 and '74?

Madvora
11-07-2005, 10:53 AM
I was thinking about this myself and about how the members of the 2005 team will be thought of down the road. They will never be anything like the 1985 Bears. Most people in this city will forget some of the players from this team, but I can see almost everyone of these guys getting cheered if they come back to Comiskey in another uniform. Honestly, I think Marte would be the only guy who wouldn't be cheered.

As for the series itself. I don't think it's going to have any real lasting impact. I think that this was some of the most exciting baseball I have ever seen in a series sweep, but because it didn't come down to a deciding game and because it's the White Sox, it won't get a lot of attention, except for those with a rooting interest.

TDog
11-07-2005, 11:20 AM
... I don't think it's going to have any real lasting impact. I think that this was some of the most exciting baseball I have ever seen in a series sweep, but because it didn't come down to a deciding game and because it's the White Sox, it won't get a lot of attention, except for those with a rooting interest.

Funny, though, that the "exciting sweep" of 1954 is remembered with reverence more than a half century later. An upset came into play as a team from New York beat the heavily favored team from Cleveland. There was a great catch by Willie Mays and a pinch-hit homer in extra innings to win the first game. But after that, the games weren't as close.

Neither the victorious Giants or the losing Indians have won the World Series since then, so there might be some curse involved to make things more interesting.

Madvora
11-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Funny, though, that the "exciting sweep" of 1954 is remembered with reverence more than a half century later. An upset came into play as a team from New York beat the heavily favored team from Cleveland. There was a great catch by Willie Mays and a pinch-hit homer in extra innings to win the first game. But after that, the games weren't as close.

Neither the victorious Giants or the losing Indians have won the World Series since then, so there might be some curse involved to make things more interesting.
I was talking about ones I have seen. I'm not that old. I think the series was extremly exciting from a baseball prospective, but I don't think others will remember it that way.
Last years World Series, for example, bored the hell out of me.

TommyJohn
11-07-2005, 11:27 AM

Don't forget the Red Sox sweep of 2004. That was the Greatest of Them All.

LongLiveFisk
11-07-2005, 11:31 AM
It should be remembered as a great WS, but it won't because the ratings were so low. Not fair, but that's the fickle society we live in.

I will say this, though: we better end up seeing some of these games on ESPN Classic. Lord knows they can use some different games in their rotation. (Right, Kirk Gibson? :redneck )

TommyJohn
11-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Lord knows they can use some different games in their rotation. (Right, Kirk Gibson? :redneck )

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHH!!!!
I hit the greatest home run of all time! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuller_Schettman
11-07-2005, 01:01 PM
on DVD
:tongue:

Hangar18
11-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Excellent thread! I wanted to start the exact same thread, but was afraid some would think it was a hangar-hates-the-media thread. I think Baseball Fans in general are going to realize what they missed out on during Games 1,2 and 3. These were all CLASSIC games and this series, despite the 4 game conclusion, was one of the best ive watched in quite a long time.

I dont feel sorry for FOX not one bit. They complained OPENLY before the NL champ was crowned, how this could be a lowly watched series. It was their own fault they chose to air Commercials touting the ALCS with only Yankee and RedSox hilites. They ignored the Chicago market completely, and wasnt until the after the concclusion of the Angels/Yanks that they bothered to run a Konerko/SOX hilite. This series was lowly watched because FOX was still bitter the Cubs and Yankees didnt make it. And the REd Sox. screw them.

I spoke to a friend of mine the other nite, and though he doesnt like baseball at all, hes become a SOX enthusiast because of me. He said that he couldnt believe how entertaining the games were, how much drama was involved, the quality of play of both teams, and how every moment was full of intrigue. Hes become much more of a SOX fan now, but has a different respect now for the game of baseball. He openly wondered how FOX could blow it as far as marketing a series like this. He said people like him are who the series would especiall appeal to ................ seeing how good the games were.

These games, DESPITE that the media will continue to ignore the series, will eventually be regarded as some of the best in the World Series. FOX inexplicably blew it. How was it that, despite games 1,2,3 were some of the "lowest" watched (as compared to last years, which were the highest, already tainting these stats), that game 4 suddenly becomes one the HIGHEST rated games in years?

The answer: America was catching on that this was a series to be watching, No thanks to the boobs at FOX. Too bad for everyone else.
We were all thoroughly entertained by a great series.

JB98
11-07-2005, 06:01 PM
I disagree, look at Boston's World Series last year. It's one of the greatest things ever to happen to baseball.

I think this team will be looked back at, at how great it really was. The unbelievable wire-to-wire season, the big comebacks, the four complete games in a row, the Granny by Paulie, the walk-off by Podsednik, the Blum homerun in the amazing 14 inning game, the 1-0 victory to win the series...I'm probably biased, but from a baseball fan's point of view these were HUGE. Eventually the 2005 White Sox will be looked at as one of the greatest teams ever, I think, and I hope.

As for the series, I think when they are looked at as one of the greatest teams ever, people will begin to respect the series for what it really was. An awesome World Series.

Sorry, but your bias is getting the best of you. As Sox fans, we will remember 2005 fondly forever. However, this World Series will soon be forgotten by everyone outside of Chicago and Houston.

vafan
11-07-2005, 08:50 PM
I think you have to look beyond the World Series when assessing the 2005 Chicago White Sox.

As IowaSox mentioned, only two teams in history have gone wire-to-wire, had the best record in their league, and swept the World Series: the 1927 Yankees and 2005 White Sox. That's good company.

Tom Verducci of SI also mentioned that only the 1970 Baltimore Orioles had won more games by one run on the road -- 22 to the Sox 20 -- than the 2005 White Sox. And those same O's (who won 108 games) were the only team in history to finish hotter than the Sox 16-1 run to end the season. The O's went 18-1.

So in one sense we belong in the same category as the 1927 Yankees and 1970 O's.

But Verducci also mentioned we joined only the 1997 Marlins as a WS title team without a .300 hitter or 20-game winner.

That to me is the clincher. As Paul Konerko observed, you could start the playoffs again and we might have gone out in 3 games. But this same group of guys, with no superstars or Hall of Famers among them, instead went 11-1 (or 16-1) when it counted. Our starters pitched 4 complete game victories in a row. Each of them went 7 innings in the World Series. The Sox won the series by a combined 6 runs to tie the lowest sweep margin in history. Every time the other team (or the umps) made a mistake, we jumped on it to drive in key or winning runs.

All of this adds up to one of the most tenacious teams of all time. A team that played a little bit better than the other guy EVERY DAY. That's a hell of an accomplishment.

I would love it if the 2005 White Sox got their just deserts. But as White Sox fans, we know how amazing this team truly was. We never have to hang our heads as Sox fans again.

antitwins13
11-07-2005, 09:08 PM

[/color][/color]

Sad yet such a true statement.

StillMissOzzie
11-08-2005, 12:31 AM
I wanted to start the exact same thread, but was afraid some would think it was a hangar-hates-the-media thread.

From you, Henry? Where would we ever get that idea?

At the risk of preaching to the choir, here's what the rest of America missed from this lowly-rated (from Fox TV's POV, anyhow) World Series:

The American league standard bearer had the best record in the league
The American League standard bearer had led their division from wire-to-wire.
Arguably the most dominant post season pitching performance by a staff EVER, highlighted by:
El Duque's appearance in Boston
The four complete games in the ALCS
The entire bullpen (plus a save by Mark Buehrle!) in the marathon Game #3 backbreaker/record breaker
A 1-0 shutout for the clinching game #4, also featuring a save by the rookie Bobby Jenks.

And overall, after leading the league in the regular season wire-to-wire, an 11-1 post season steamroller.
And all done by a team with NO Silver Sluggers, NO Gold Glovers, and NO ROY, just a well-balanced, well-executing TEAM effort.

I think that the 2005 season will get better with age.

SMO
:gulp:

Fuller_Schettman
11-08-2005, 01:24 AM
Excellent thread! I wanted to start the exact same thread, but was afraid some would think it was a hangar-hates-the-media thread.

I can see the jersey now: HE HATE WE

Maybe we should pitch in and get one for The Moron!

elrod
11-08-2005, 09:37 AM
This team will be remembered like the 1990 Reds. For a couple years nobody will think about them, but then when other teams threaten to go wire-to-wire and make a big post-season run, they will talk about the 2005 White Sox, 1990 Reds, 1955 Dodgers and 1927 Yankees in the same way. Nobody would have imagined comparing the 1990 Reds to the great Dodger and Yankee teams, but when you consider what they did that season, it's pretty remarkable.

Orta 4-6-3
11-08-2005, 11:28 AM
This team will be remembered like the 1990 Reds. For a couple years nobody will think about them, but then when other teams threaten to go wire-to-wire and make a big post-season run, they will talk about the 2005 White Sox, 1990 Reds, 1955 Dodgers and 1927 Yankees in the same way. Nobody would have imagined comparing the 1990 Reds to the great Dodger and Yankee teams, but when you consider what they did that season, it's pretty remarkable.

I was thinking that too, or perhaps the '84 Tigers --- a team remembered for its total accomplishment during the season rather than how they won the World Series. Neither the '84 nor the '90 Series are considered classics.

Much depends on what the Sox do in the next few seasons. Maybe, as someone suggested earlier, they will someday be thought of like the A's of the early '70s. But even if they can produce a run like that, their highlights will still be on toward the end of "SportCenter".

lostletters
11-08-2005, 11:45 AM
I was thinking that too, or perhaps the '84 Tigers --- a team remembered for its total accomplishment during the season rather than how they won the World Series. Neither the '84 nor the '90 Series are considered classics.

Much depends on what the Sox do in the next few seasons. Maybe, as someone suggested earlier, they will someday be thought of like the A's of the early '70s. But even if they can produce a run like that, their highlights will still be on toward the end of "SportCenter".

I think it will probably not be remembered as one of the great series, but rather one of the great teams. There are a couple of games which may be considered classics...Game 2 and Game 3. But it is the entire season and the team which will be remembered. The fact that the only company the Sox have is the five of the greatest teams in the history of baseball, that is good company.

The Team will be remembered, not necessarily the series. Which is not a bad thing for the Sox, because the Sox this year were a true team.

Fuller_Schettman
11-08-2005, 12:19 PM

True, but the 1990 Reds did not lead their league wire-to-wire like we did.

The 2005 Sox and the 1927 Yankees are the only teams to lead their league wire-to-wire and then sweep the World Series.