PDA

View Full Version : Frank's status

bigredrudy
11-05-2005, 03:39 PM
I am confused about Frank's status. I have read that the Sox must offer Frank arbitration by Decenber 7th or they won't be able to negotiate with him until May. I just can't see the Sox offering arbitration to Frank as it could result in a much bigger payday for Frank if they are unable to reach an agreement. So it seems to me that some kind of agreement much be reached by December 7th or Frank is really gone. And yet I read KW's comment that the Sox are going to be monitoring Frank's physical condition over the next few months. This does not make sense to me.Your help would be very much appreciated.

ode to veeck
11-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Frank is the greatest right handed hitter of all-time.

Any more questions?

chisoxfan64
11-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Frank is the greatest right handed hitter of all-time.

Any more questions?

Very well said.:cool:

Daver
11-05-2005, 04:04 PM
I am confused about Frank's status. I have read that the Sox must offer Frank arbitration by Decenber 7th or they won't be able to negotiate with him until May. I just can't see the Sox offering arbitration to Frank as it could result in a much bigger payday for Frank if they are unable to reach an agreement. So it seems to me that some kind of agreement much be reached by December 7th or Frank is really gone. And yet I read KW's comment that the Sox are going to be monitoring Frank's physical condition over the next few months. This does not make sense to me.Your help would be very much appreciated.

Frank is a free agent, if the Sox do not sign him to a new contract before Dec. 7th, or offer him arbitration he will be considered as non-tendered, when a team non-tenders a player they cannot negiotiate with that player till May 1st of the following year.

Jjav829
11-05-2005, 04:08 PM

Well, there is a danger there. Frank made $8 million last year. If the Sox offered him arbitration and Frank accepted, the minimum the Sox could offer in arbitration is 20% less than what Frank made last year, or $6.4 million. So even if the Sox won, which they probably would given Frank's lack of production last year, Frank would still make $6.4 million for 2006. The only way the Sox offer him arbitration is if they have an under the table agreement with Frank that he would decline arbitration.

veeter
11-05-2005, 04:12 PM
The Sox may be gambling that noone else will sign Frank. And that he may not be ready until after May 1st anyway.

RallyBowl
11-05-2005, 04:27 PM
The Sox may be gambling that noone else will sign Frank. And that he may not be ready until after May 1st anyway.

That's a good point. I can't imagine him playing much in ST. I think he's gonna re-sign.

nccwsfan
11-05-2005, 04:36 PM
The White Sox have until 12/7 to offer Frank Thomas arbitration. If they choose to do this they will have until 1/8/2006 to sign him to a deal. If they do not do this by 1/8 Frank cannot re-sign with the White Sox until 5/1.

If Frank accepts arbitration then he will remain a member of the White Sox for 2006, with a salary figure to be determined by an arbitrator.

The key dates here are 12/7 and 1/8. Stay tuned...

munchman33
11-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Well, there is a danger there. Frank made $8 million last year. If the Sox offered him arbitration and Frank accepted, the minimum the Sox could offer in arbitration is 20% less than what Frank made last year, or $6.4 million. So even if the Sox won, which they probably would given Frank's lack of production last year, Frank would still make $6.4 million for 2006. The only way the Sox offer him arbitration is if they have an under the table agreement with Frank that he would decline arbitration.

How does the $3.5 million buyout play into that? Would it be an additional $6.4 million? If its only an additional $2.9 million over the buyout, it might be worth it.

MarySwiss
11-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Wow! You guys are scaring me! This is one of the most intelligent, level-headed discussions about an offseason issue that I have seen thus far.

Unless someone screws it up:

:threadrules:

Daver
11-05-2005, 05:06 PM
How does the $3.5 million buyout play into that? Would it be an additional $6.4 million? If its only an additional $2.9 million over the buyout, it might be worth it.

It has nothing to do with the buyout.

The third year of the contract was structured that Frankl had an option to accept ten mil, if he chose to do so the team could buy out that option for 3.5 mil.

The Sox would be on the hook for whatever he recieves in arbitration should they offer it.

nccwsfan
11-05-2005, 11:47 PM
It has nothing to do with the buyout.

The third year of the contract was structured that Frankl had an option to accept ten mil, if he chose to do so the team could buy out that option for 3.5 mil.

The Sox would be on the hook for whatever he recieves in arbitration should they offer it.

And the CWS have until 12/7 to decide if they want to offer arbitration, otherwise they cannot negotiate a contract with him until 5/1/2006. If the CWS offer arbitration Frank Thomas has two options- a) accept the offer and remain with the White Sox. Thomas would have until 12/19 to accept/reject the offer from the CWS, or b) reject the offer. If he does this the White Sox can negotiate with him until 1/8/2006. After that they cannot negotiate a contract with him until 5/1/2006.

These rules apply for their 5 free agents (Thomas, Konerko, Everett, Blum, and Casanova).

12/7 is the day to keep an eye on. Hope that helps.

Corlose 15
11-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Has anyone heard anything new on Frank's condition? I haven't seen any information in the articles on the Sox buying him out. The last I saw was around late September when they said he was improving and surgery may not be needed. Would he be ready around the same time as last year or what?

StockdaleForVeep
11-06-2005, 01:52 AM
The big hurt is the modern day every day kirk gibson, he must stay

FedEx227
11-06-2005, 02:10 AM
Wow! You guys are scaring me! This is one of the most intelligent, level-headed discussions about an offseason issue that I have seen thus far.

Unless someone screws it up:

:threadrules:

Screw Frank and Paulie lets get Durazo and Overbay!!!

this is a very weird situation with Frank, I guess we are truly gambling that nobody will want to take a chance on him, which seems very likely, but there could always be a team that swoops in there shows Frank the money and he takes... but I really think/hope in my mind that Frank is no longer concerned with money, hes more concerned with playing with the Sox, representing the Sox and retire a White Sox.

IlliniSox4Life
11-06-2005, 02:20 AM
My thoughts on Frank is that if he is resigned, if he stays hurt, there will come a time down the stretch or in the playoffs when hes rehabbed enough to be on the active roster, but doesnt play, and Ozzie sends him to the plate in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and a tie game as a last ditch effort, and he'll crank one over the fence and barely be able to walk around the bases.

I mean, I definately think Ozzie would've tried a Frank Thomas with a banged up foot sometime before Geoff Blum in game 3. And If Geoff Blum can earn his salary on that one swing, and El Duque can earn his salary pitching to the Red Sox for one inning, why can't Frank earn his on one swing?

(Note: I don't expect Frank to get injured, or us to pay him if we don't think he's ever coming back, but I'm just saying there's a little Sox in all of us that just knows he'd earn his salary if he had to, even if it came down to one swing.)

DSpivack
11-06-2005, 03:33 AM
this is a very weird situation with Frank, I guess we are truly gambling that nobody will want to take a chance on him, which seems very likely, but there could always be a team that swoops in there shows Frank the money and he takes... but I really think/hope in my mind that Frank is no longer concerned with money, hes more concerned with playing with the Sox, representing the Sox and retire a White Sox.

It's quite unique, and not in a bad way, either. Reinsdorf, always thinking long-term, didn't sign him to a lengthy deal in the last few years. It's a much different situation, but the Astros are stuck paying Biggio and Bagwell next year.

I can't see any team making a serious run at Frank. It would have to be a AL team with deep pockets that needs a DH. You'd have to be pretty stupid to give him either a big contract or a guaranteed multi-year deal. The only offers I can see him getting are what I expect from the Sox--one or two years, little base salary, and incentive-laden.

nccwsfan
11-06-2005, 10:00 AM
It's quite unique, and not in a bad way, either. Reinsdorf, always thinking long-term, didn't sign him to a lengthy deal in the last few years. It's a much different situation, but the Astros are stuck paying Biggio and Bagwell next year.

I can't see any team making a serious run at Frank. It would have to be a AL team with deep pockets that needs a DH. You'd have to be pretty stupid to give him either a big contract or a guaranteed multi-year deal. The only offers I can see him getting are what I expect from the Sox--one or two years, little base salary, and incentive-laden.

Agreed- Frank will exhaust all options with the White Sox before considering elsewhere. Let's just hope it can happen...

Jjav829
11-06-2005, 10:20 AM

I don't think we have to worry about Frank going elsewhere without seeing what the Sox want to do with him first. This is the best situation for Frank. He won't find a better place to play. No matter where he goes he will not be treated how he is treated here. People here still worship Frank. We still love Frank for what he did in the 90s. He's not going to find that kind of love from the fans anywhere else. He won't have the same type of star quality that he has here. Frank wants to be a big part of a championship team. I think Frank wants to play in the World Series and help lead a team to a championship. What better place to do that than with the defending champions?

Like I've said before, I think this is all on the Sox. The issue is whether the Sox want Frank back. If the Sox want Frank back and want to take that chance that Frank can stay healthy then I see no reason why Frank wouldn't be back. If the Sox decide that it's just too risky and they'd rather go in a safer direction then Frank will have to find somewhere else to play.

I think Frank's return hinges on Konerko's return. If Konerko is back then maybe we can afford to take that risk with Frank. If Konerko leaves we probably won't replace him with someone who can give us the same type of production. That means we're going to need a little more security from our DH.