PDA

View Full Version : E. Durazo

bigredrudy
11-05-2005, 04:31 PM
This guy is a FA and prior to last year had very good numbers including OBP. I know he was injred last year but I think signing him could be a much better bet than trading for Griffey, Delgado, etc. He could be that lefthanded DH that we have been looking for. If we could sign Paul and Durazo our offense would be a lot better. And we would not be breaking the bank.And we could keep our pitching

Chisox003
11-05-2005, 04:33 PM
This guy is a FA and prior to last year had very good numbers including OBP. I know he was injred last year but I think signing him could be a much better bet than trading for Griffey, Delgado, etc. He could be that lefthanded DH that we have been looking for. If we could sign Paul and Durazo our offense would be a lot better. And we would not be breaking the bank.And we could keep our pitching
:tealpolice:

jabrch
11-05-2005, 04:45 PM

Are you out of your mind? He's worse than Gload. He's no better than Carl. He's terrible. I'd love to get Griff or Delgado. I'd love to have PK here. But Durazo is, quite simply, a terrible hitter and a worse fielder. He has had exactly one good year in his career. He has one good skill, if you call it that - he doesn't swing the bat a lot. So he walks a lot. He also strikes out looking an incredible amount, as that's what happens when your primary desire is to walk. We need guys who work the count, and can go deep into counts, but not by taking boarderline pitches and striking out. Our pitching showed what happens when teams try taking too many pitches against a good staff.

Interestingly, Durazo hit .196 against righties this season. He had a .280 obp against them, and a .286 slg.

We don't need Durazo...We have Willie Harris who could easily put up those kind of numbers.

veeter
11-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Durazo is a .281 career hitter, so he's not bad. But, I agree, he doesn't come close to filling the Sox bill. Heck, I still want Carl back. Am I crazy?

Crede_Fan
11-05-2005, 04:51 PM
We don't need Durazo...We have Willie Harris who could easily put up those kind of numbers.

And atleast Willie can run. And he plays a hellva 2nd base!

Banix12
11-05-2005, 04:56 PM
I could only see it happening if Thomas came back and the sox needed a backup DH type. In which case I might be more inclined to go toward a Matt LeCroy type since he has pretty good power and would be an emergency third catcher.

Not that I'm enthralled with either option.

jabrch
11-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Durazo is a .281 career hitter, so he's not bad. But, I agree, he doesn't come close to filling the Sox bill. Heck, I still want Carl back. Am I crazy?

In the past 6 years of his career, he has one season where he hit over .270.

Here, again, is the problem with statistics...it all depends on how you interpret them.

Throw them all away for a moment. Watch Durazo at the plate. He is not, right now, the kind of hitter I think would improve this team. He'd have to get 100% healthy, and return to habits that he hasn't displayed consistently over his career. For a 50mm payroll team who's aspirations are to finish .500, Durazo might be a good player. For a team with a payroll that will be over 80mm, and will have World Series aspirations, he is not - regardless of what the statistics say.

buehrle4cy05
11-05-2005, 05:28 PM

Griffey and Delgado both bat left-handed. Anybody who would rather have a weaker lefty bat than them is a probably FOBB, so therefore out of their minds.

RallyBowl
11-05-2005, 05:28 PM

No.

jabrch
11-05-2005, 05:46 PM
As much as I do like PK, I would take Delgado over him in a heartbeat if we are talking similar money. Delgado, in USCF, would be a monster. He hits for average, for power, he doesn't chase bad pitches, he plays decent defense. His stats are impressive.

If the Marlins will trade him to us, I'd definitely want him.

MRKARNO
11-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Assuming he's healthy, which is not a given, I think he'd be a great replacement for Carl Everett at the DH spot if things don't work out with Thomas. With the exception of his injury-plagued year last year, he has always brought something to the table offensively. Besides taking a lot of walks, he has pretty good power too. It's not always HR power, but he hits a lot of doubles and those doubles may turn into HRs at US Cellular Field. Even if they remain doubles, we sorely lacked doubles last year, finishing dead last I believe, so that's something we could improve upon.

And I know a lot of people here are hostile towards batters who walk a lot, but every lineup needs someone patient who can take good at bats and take walks. Not everyone needs to be able to, but good lineups have at least a few patient hitters. The whole lineup need not be patient, but it's always good to have one or two other hitters besides the big bopper that can take walks and Durazo fits that bill.

Banix12
11-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Assuming he's healthy, which is not a given, I think he'd be a great replacement for Carl Everett at the DH spot if things don't work out with Thomas. With the exception of his injury-plagued year last year, he has always brought something to the table offensively. Besides taking a lot of walks, he has pretty good power too. It's not always HR power, but he hits a lot of doubles and those doubles may turn into HRs at US Cellular Field. Even if they remain doubles, we sorely lacked doubles last year, finishing dead last I believe, so that's something we could improve upon.

And I know a lot of people here are hostile towards batters who walk a lot, but every lineup needs someone patient who can take good at bats and take walks. Not everyone needs to be able to, but good lineups have at least a few patient hitters. The whole lineup need not be patient, but it's always good to have one or two other hitters besides the big bopper that can take walks and Durazo fits that bill.

The only time I have a problem with the guys who walk are when that is the only skill the player in question seems to have as a hitter. Durazo has some other skills certainly so I won't get on his case for just walking. I really don't have a problem with Durazo as a hitter in the backup DH role in the Thomas returning scenario.

The problem I have is I would not be entirely comfortable with using another roster spot on another DH only type. Everett wasn't great in the field but he could play out there. Durazo is a real liablity in the field, not that he would probably ever play there, and it would lead to a short bench.

Using him as a DH over Thomas isn't really a scenario I would welcome, mostly because I'm not totally sure of his health. If we don't have Thomas I really would prefer someone who I can count on.

I'm not the biggest fan of the suggestion, but it's better than a lot of other suggestions floating around.

Brian26
11-05-2005, 07:24 PM
I really don't have a problem with Durazo as a hitter in the backup DH role in the Thomas returning scenario.

Durazo is Brian Daubach with more playing time. In a nutshell, no.

I'll take Delgado if we can't resign PK.

MRKARNO
11-05-2005, 07:32 PM
The problem I have is I would not be entirely comfortable with using another roster spot on another DH only type. Everett wasn't great in the field but he could play out there. Durazo is a real liablity in the field, not that he would probably ever play there, and it would lead to a short bench.

Well we had Blum, Harris and Ozuna on the roster when we probably could have gotten by with two of the three. Having all three was wasting one of the roster spots. Also, we had one bullpen arm too many considering how many innings our starters were getting. I don't think that his "wasting a roster spot" is a good reason to reject him. In truth, Gload may be another, cheaper option that may be able to produce at the same level, but the hope is that we can do better than both Durazo and Gload.

santo=dorf
11-05-2005, 07:34 PM
As much as I do like PK, I would take Delgado over him in a heartbeat if we are talking similar money. Delgado, in USCF, would be a monster. He hits for average, for power, he doesn't chase bad pitches, he plays decent defense. His stats are impressive.

If the Marlins will trade him to us, I'd definitely want him.

My thoughts exactly.

Expect a Delgado photoshop soon. :cool:

bigredrudy
11-06-2005, 12:14 AM
Obviously Delgado is a better hitter than Durazo. But Delgado will be expensive both in money and in players. You can't have Konerko and Delgado. It is just too expensive. JR won't go there. But you could have Durazo and Konerko. You are not going to have Griffey and Konerko. Too expensive once again. You can't have Giles and Konerko again too expensive. Of couse you could trade one of your stud pitchers. That would be the only way. But I don't want to do that. Do any of you?

StockdaleForVeep
11-06-2005, 02:54 AM
Matt williams or Mark grace may still be avail too

jabrch
11-06-2005, 10:00 AM
And I know a lot of people here are hostile towards batters who walk a lot,

No sir. Nobody is hostile to batters who walk a lot. That is a gross misstatement of the facts. People are hostile to batters who's best tool is their ability to walk. Delgado is a .300 hitter with 40 HR power. He is not a guy who "walks a lot". He walks when bad pitches are thrown to him. Delgado is not a guy who takes pitches and goes deep into counts. He takes bad pitches if they are thrown. There is a significant difference between the two.

Durazo - doesn't want to swing if he doesn't have to
Delgado - doesn't swing at bad pitches

There's a difference.

MRKARNO
11-06-2005, 01:04 PM
No sir. Nobody is hostile to batters who walk a lot. That is a gross misstatement of the facts. People are hostile to batters who's best tool is their ability to walk. Delgado is a .300 hitter with 40 HR power. He is not a guy who "walks a lot". He walks when bad pitches are thrown to him. Delgado is not a guy who takes pitches and goes deep into counts. He takes bad pitches if they are thrown. There is a significant difference between the two.

Durazo - doesn't want to swing if he doesn't have to
Delgado - doesn't swing at bad pitches

There's a difference.

Durazo has posted slugging percentages of .500 or better in 4 of his 7 major league seasons. It's not like he's posting a .250/.350/.375 line when he's been healthy. He's been hitting his fair share of doubles. He's patient, he gets on base at a good rate, but he also can drive the ball in the gaps, which is why a lot of people like him.

jabrch
11-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Durazo has posted slugging percentages of .500 or better in 4 of his 7 major league seasons. It's not like he's posting a .250/.350/.375 line when he's been healthy. He's been hitting his fair share of doubles. He's patient, he gets on base at a good rate, but he also can drive the ball in the gaps, which is why a lot of people like him.

A) They have been platooning him - to protect his weakness. Notice they always have a RH hitting 1B/DH to platoon him with? Sorry - I'm not looking to replace PK or Carl with a platoon.

B) In only 3 of his 7 seasons has he had 225+ ABs.

C) 4 of his last 5 seasons have had a batting average of under .270

C) He's on the wrong side of 30

D) He can't beat out Scott Hatteberg for a job

E) He is hardly ever healthy

I can't believe you'd want this guy at all. I'd take Carl, Burnitz, or any of a number of other mediocre players before this guy.

oldcomiskey
11-06-2005, 03:37 PM
I wouldnt want carlos Delgado to even sniff a sox uniform for two reasons
one is he turned down a trade to us before and two I dont want anybody that refuses to stand for the national anthem

caulfield12
11-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Obviously Delgado is a better hitter than Durazo. But Delgado will be expensive both in money and in players. You can't have Konerko and Delgado. It is just too expensive. JR won't go there. But you could have Durazo and Konerko. You are not going to have Griffey and Konerko. Too expensive once again. You can't have Giles and Konerko again too expensive. Of couse you could trade one of your stud pitchers. That would be the only way. But I don't want to do that. Do any of you?

It obviously depends on what team comes back for them next year, and the situation with Cabrera. I really do not think we would have to give up lots of prospects if we took that contract from the Marlins. It just depends on what direction then go, salary wise. Obviously, Burnett is gone. However, the NL East is deeper in talent and pocketbooks, and Miami has never been able to compete with the big spenders, winning only with great young (and affordable) starting pitching in 2003. Of course, they spent a ton in 1997 and then folded the next year.

MRKARNO
11-06-2005, 03:57 PM
I can't believe you'd want this guy at all. I'd take Carl, Burnitz, or any of a number of other mediocre players before this guy.

Actually I said earlier (if you would have bothered to read):

"In truth, Gload may be another, cheaper option that may be able to produce at the same level, but the hope is that we can do better than both Durazo and Gload."

So no I'm not clamoring for him, but I'm playing devil's advocate.

caulfield12
11-06-2005, 04:05 PM

"In truth, Gload may be another, cheaper option that may be able to produce at the same level, but the hope is that we can do better than both Durazo and Gload."

So no I'm not clamoring for him, but I'm playing devil's advocate.

Over a full season, Gload would hit around 13 homers if he had 500 or so at-bats, based on his prior major league averages.

I think you could safely pencil in 15 for him. He is also a better defensive player and faster baserunner, not prone to hitting into quite so many DPs.

You have to replace 25 homers for Konerko, and another 20 something for Everett.

You are not going to get that from one player, but you have to expect better power numbers (homers and doubles) from Rowand, Crede, Uribe, Pods and Iguchi to make up half that difference. Of course, you are also counting on Dye and AJ to keep it up.

The other half will come from the mystery player...Brian Anderson, FA, trade, etc. Of course, there is also the Frank Thomas health situation to consider. Thomas coming back healthy answers a lot of questions in terms of production, but nobody could count on him.

jabrch
11-06-2005, 05:02 PM

I did read it - but thanks for your concern...

It made no sense to even make the arguement in favor of this guy. This guy is a total loser. He brings very little to the table, and would be a liability to the team. Implicit in your argument that he has a .500 slg and he gets on base, is that these are good skills, and he'd be good for the team. (unless suddenly you don't value these skills that PropellerheadNation preaches)

Durazo would be a liability to this team.