PDA

View Full Version : Frank of Paul

shoelessjoe90
11-05-2005, 01:04 PM
I found this poll on whitesox.com, i want to see what you guys think of it.
If you could only sign one person, would it be Frank or Paul?

caulfield12
11-05-2005, 01:06 PM
I found this poll on whitesox.com, i want to see what you guys think of it.
If you could only sign one person, would it be Frank or Paul?

That is really kind of a dumb question....it totally depends on how much money, incentives, length of contract, injury provisions.

I guess the obvious answer is Konerko, but not at $15 million. $13 million is as high as we should go IMO, and no more than four years.

Fuller_Schettman
11-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Everyone is hung up on this fifth year deal as if it were some kind of toxic voodoo thang (no offense to VC).

If we can do a 4-year deal, then we can do a 5-year deal. We should not let the fifth year be a deal-breaker.

Even if the worst case scenario happens and PK were to tank in year 5, it still beats having us spend the next 4 years floundering at 1B when we could have had PK there doing his thing. Besides, in year 4 or 5 he would likely be our full-time DH anyway...

Chips
11-05-2005, 01:12 PM
The obvious choice is Konerko.

It's a good thing KW can sign both.

RKMeibalane
11-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Why is this even a question? Obviously, Konerko is the person who needs to be signed.

The Dude
11-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Everyone is hung up on this fifth year deal as if it were some kind of toxic voodoo thang (no offense to VC).

If we can do a 4-year deal, then we can do a 5-year deal. We should not let the fifth year be a deal-breaker.

Even if the worst case scenario happens and PK were to tank in year 5, it still beats having us spend the next 4 years floundering at 1B when we could have had PK there doing his thing. Besides, in year 4 or 5 he would likely be our full-time DH anyway...

"The Fifth Year" is a pretty funny publication that comes out weekly here at NIU.:cool:

Deadguy
11-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Even as an open Konerko hater and a Thomas fan boy, the obvious answer is Konerko. What a stupid poll.

Thomas is literally on his last legs and Konerko is in his prime.

Why not poll us as to whether or not we'd rather have Ryan Howard or Julio Franco on the roster?

The Dude
11-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Even as an open Konerko hater and a Thomas fan boy, the obvious answer is Konerko. What a stupid poll.

Thomas is literally on his last legs and Konerko is in his prime.

Why not poll us as to whether or not we'd rather have Ryan Howard or Julio Franco on the roster?

You still havent recanted your PK hating? Unbelievable.:rolleyes:

soxfanreggie
11-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Frank is my fave, but I am a Sox fan through and through. We need to do what is best for the Sox, and others are right...PK is in his prime. However, I don't want to see a 5 year $70 million type deal to get him. I would rather spend the money wisely and give Frank his incentive based deal then.

beckett21
11-05-2005, 02:38 PM

That's an easy one. Who's Ryan Howard, anyway? :redneck

Deadguy
11-05-2005, 02:41 PM
You still havent recanted your PK hating? Unbelievable.:rolleyes:

I'll recant if he doesn't turn out to be a money grubbing whore who sells out to the highest bidder. Guys like that are a dime a dozen in this game, and are difficult to feel all warm and fuzzy about.

The Dude
11-05-2005, 02:45 PM
I'll recant if he doesn't turn out to be a money grubbing whore who sells out to the highest bidder. Guys like that are a dime a dozen in this game, and are difficult to feel all warm and fuzzy about.

You mean playing a HUGE role in helping us win our first World Series in 88 years isnt good enough for you?

Deuce
11-05-2005, 02:47 PM
Frank. No question. Konerko can be replaced. No one can replace Frank Thomas.

Deuce

seanpmurphy
11-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Frank Thomas is an icon of the White Sox so I'd hate to see him go but realistically he is a high-risk injury liability. When he's healthy what a beast, especially with the numbers he put up this season in his short return, but is it worth the gamble his foot/ankle gets jacked again next season?

Konerko carried a huge load for this team, but I agree, let's not sell the farm to keep him on the team, we've got to do what's best for the team while being financially sound.

RKMeibalane
11-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Frank. No question. Konerko can be replaced. No one can replace Frank Thomas.

Deuce

I don't agree, especially in light of Frank's recent injury history.

Deuce
11-05-2005, 03:07 PM
I don't agree, especially in light of Frank's recent injury history.To resign Konerko, you need a long term contract with a big payday and you are still left without a #3 hitter. In comparison, you can resign Frank on a short contract for much less money, probably incentive laden to the gills, and have more than enough Konerko money left over to sign another powerhitting first baseman. Seems like an easy choice for me.

Deuce

Deadguy
11-05-2005, 03:56 PM
You mean playing a HUGE role in helping us win our first World Series in 88 years isnt good enough for you?

No, honestly it isn't. I'd be much more devasted if MB, JG, or FG were possibly on the way out. These guys were there for us all season, and were far more valuable.

Konerko deserves a bonus for what he did in the playoffs, but not as much as the payoff he is going to demand and ultimately receive from another club.

Jjav829
11-05-2005, 04:03 PM
To resign Konerko, you need a long term contract with a big payday and you are still left without a #3 hitter. In comparison, you can resign Frank on a short contract for much less money, probably incentive laden to the gills, and have more than enough Konerko money left over to sign another powerhitting first baseman. Seems like an easy choice for me.

Deuce

And for what? To have Frank give us 100 at-bats and then go down for the year again? Look, this issue isn't whether anyone wants Frank back. This issue isn't whether Frank wants to come back. We know that Frank wants to be back here. We even know that the Sox ideally would like to have Frank back and healthy. But Frank is a huge question mark. He's suffered two major season-ending injuries in a consecutive years. He simply can't be counted on to be healthy. If Frank is signed then we have to sign another DH option as insurance. So we're basically spending money on two guys instead of one. One of those guys would be a huge question mark and the other probably wouldn't be all that good or he would find a guaranteed starting job elsewhere. You don't see a major problem with this? You actually think having this situation would make the team better instead of signing Konerko?