PDA

View Full Version : An interesting article about Sox, 3 hole

caulfield12
11-05-2005, 01:36 PM
from baseballanalysts.com

8) What was the club's major weakness during the season?
The #3 spot. It was Kryptonite to anyone who batted there except Frank Thomas. In general, you like to have a high average guy who can also hit for power in the #3 spot. The White Sox #3 hitters combined for a .234/.296/.419 line. Only the Bay Area teams had a worse combined OPS from their #3 hitters.

9) Briefly, how do you hope Ken Williams corrects this and other weaknesses this winter?

It looks like he's addressed part of it already. Carl Everett, who received a majority of the at-bats in the #3 spot, didn't have his option picked up and was bought out by the Sox. Who he gets to replace Everett remains to be seen.

I would say the needs are a left-handed hitter with a good batting eye, preferably on the cheap. Erubial Durazo (if healthy) and Matt Lawton (before the juice) were two guys who I had my eye on. Aside from those two, I don't really see a free agent on the market who really fits what the Sox need. -- I suspect Williams will have to get creative on the trade front to really be proactive.

voodoochile
11-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Interesting that YOU are posting this considering you opinions in the trade/keep/cut thread...:tongue:

caulfield12
11-05-2005, 01:51 PM
They have five big-time options and then a bunch of question marks in my opinion.

Giles
Abreu
Dunn
Helton
Delgado

Questions Marks

Thome
B. Wilkerson
Nick Johnson
C. Counsell
Overbay
Dellucci
Klesko
Ibanez
J. Cruz

All of the second category would be more in fitting with the normal Sox way of doing business, with the exception of Thome. These are all lefthanded or switch hitters with lots of patience.

They can acquire 2 players like this (second category) and another reliever for the same price Konerko will be getting.

Fuller_Schettman
11-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Wouldn't it be awesome if Big Frank comes back and hits .290 with 42 HR and 125 RBI! That would kinda solve this problem for the next 3 years or so...

RKMeibalane
11-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Wouldn't it be awesome if Big Frank comes back and hits .290 with 42 HR and 125 RBI! That would kinda solve this problem for the next 3 years or so...

That's not likely to happen, but at this point I haven't given next season that much thought. I'm still trying to enjoy the moment.

caulfield12
11-05-2005, 02:37 PM

Hopefully the Konerko situation will be cleared up, one way or the other, before December 7th. That is D-Day for not being able to re-sign Thomas until May 1st and probably would end his Sox career...but maybe not, lol.

The White Sox are already going to be paying Thomas $3.5 million, they have nothing to lose by giving him a contract largely based on achievable incentives that allows him to return and finish his career here.

NWSox
11-05-2005, 05:42 PM
If the Sox are able to keep Konerko, I have a feeling the DH spot will be filled from within the organization. Given the increases in payroll due to PK, AJP, Crede and Garland, I don't think the team will have much to spend on a quality DH. Plus, the organization has to find some playing time for guys like Anderson and Gload. This still doesn't represent an answer to the 3 spot hole, but we could do a lot worse than Dye with occasional visits by AJP, ARow, and Gload to the 3 spot. Who knows, maybe Crede will develop enough consistency to hit third.

longshot7
11-05-2005, 07:00 PM
If the Sox are able to keep Konerko, I have a feeling the DH spot will be filled from within the organization.

Yeah, good idea. I don't have a problem with Borchard or whoever the 4th outfielder is in there, altho you probably don't want them in the 3 hole. that's probably JD's for the forseeable future.

Crede_Fan
11-05-2005, 11:59 PM

.290 with 52 HR and 125 RBI sounds better!!!

Have to see Frank finish with 500 and in the same uniform that he's worn since day 1!

IlliniSox4Life
11-06-2005, 12:09 AM
.290 with 52 HR and 125 RBI sounds better!!!

Have to see Frank finish with 500 and in the same uniform that he's worn since day 1!

Why not .350 with 79 home runs and 160 RBIs?