PDA

View Full Version : Dan Evans update

Jerry_Manuel
12-15-2001, 12:53 PM
Well it seems the "Tell me why we don't have Dan Evans as GM?" talk is going to comeback since some people feel Williams goofed up again. So here is what our pal Dan is up to, Jayson Stark from ESPN had this in his column:

Dodgers trade a starter
Let's see now. The Dodgers have three starting pitchers who are free agents (Chan Ho Park, Terry Adams, James Baldwin). They have three more starting pitchers coming off serious injuries (Kevin Brown, Andy Ashby, Darren Dreifort).

So what did the Dodgers do Thursday? They traded away yet another starting pitcher (Luke Prokopec) -- to the Blue Jays, for All-Star reliever Paul Quantrill and dazzling young shortstop Cesar Izturis.

That might seem risky. But new Dodgers GM Dan Evans is the ultimate man with a plan.

"We're not done yet," Evans said. "We're still exploring a lot of different things. It's still Dec. 13. There's a lot of time to go, and my staff doesn't sleep much. To us, sleep is the enemy."

The Dodgers still have the option of re-signing Park, to whom they offered arbitration. But they have yet to make any effort to negotiate with his agent, Scott Boras. Other than that, they have Eric Gagne, Omar Daal, reasonably encouraging medical reports on Brown and Ashby, an insurance policy in do-anything left-hander Terry Mulholland and a bunch of deals roasting on the fire.

In the meantime, Evans is trying to get this team focused on the big picture after years of patching for short-term runs that went nowhere. And no one around him can possibly forget those big-picture goals -- because they've been reading them in Evans' suite all week.

"I've got an easel in my room with our offseason goals on it," Evans said. "I want it written down because I want to make sure we adhere to our plan all the time. Otherwise, you can get emotional and get excited about making a deal, and you do something that takes you in the wrong direction."

Two of the big items on that plan are: Get better and more athletic up the middle, and assemble the best and deepest bullpen possible to assemble. So Izturis, who was blocked by the more offensively skilled Felipe Lopez in Toronto, arrives with a chance to be the opening-day shortstop. And Quantrill joins Matt Herges as the primary set-up men.

Superscout Don Welke spent August watching a group of young middle infielders the Dodgers thought they could trade for, and he came back with glowing reports on Izturis' hands, athleticism and knack for "making the big play."

And Quantrill, a ground-ball machine who walked 12 hitters all season, is signed for three more years, and was a pitcher "we liked better than all the free agents out there," Evans said.

The next step is to find the closer who can cement that bullpen together. The Dodgers have stayed after Billy Koch and Troy Percival. Evans says they have other options. And, he said, this deal doesn't affect any other trade the Dodgers are working on (i.e., Gary Sheffield for Koch and Jermaine Dye, among other things), even though Prokopec once was a part of those talks.

So Evans' Chavez Ravine reclamation project is far from finished. But at least there's a blueprint now for the project.

AsInWreck
12-15-2001, 12:59 PM
I guess the dream of unloading Clayton on the dodgers is dead-or was that sarcasm i hinted in your description of ?istraz? or whatever his name is-

duke of dorwood
12-15-2001, 01:04 PM
tHOSE ARE VETERAN PITCHERS COMING OFF INJURIES. THEY MAY NEED THE CHOICE UNTIL IZTURIS IS REALLY READY. WITH THE CHOICE'S ONE YEAR LEFT, THIS MAY BE APPEALING TO EVANS. THERE'S HOPE YET TO UNLOAD THE CHOICE.

Daver
12-15-2001, 01:08 PM
What's with the caps?

Spiff
12-15-2001, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by daver
What's with the caps?

I don't think he realized it was on.

LongDistanceFan
12-15-2001, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Well it seems the "Tell me why we don't have Dan Evans as GM?" talk is going to comeback since some people feel Williams goofed up again. So here is what our pal Dan is up to, Jayson Stark from ESPN had this in his column:

Dodgers trade a starter

So what did the Dodgers do Thursday? They traded away yet another starting pitcher (Luke Prokopec) -- to the Blue Jays, for All-Star reliever Paul Quantrill and dazzling young shortstop Cesar Izturis.

man this was the kid that i was hoping that the sox would make an attempt to trade for...........

Tragg
12-15-2001, 07:17 PM
Kenny Williams hasn't made effort 1 to get that hot AAA shortstop or centerfielder. it seems so obvious - our hot AAA pitchers for their hot AAA position players.