PDA

View Full Version : "Surprising" VH1 Stupidity

Clembasbal
11-05-2005, 11:41 AM
So I decided that I would go online and vote in their "Big in 2005" poll. The reason, I was hoping that the White Sox might be mentioned in it.

Obviously I was wrong. But that was neither surprising nor something that really irked me. What was crazy was that Steve Perry came up in two categories.

Anyway, the two categories he was up for and their reasoning behind the nomination.

1) BIGGEST DOWNLOAD - "Don't Stop Believing" Journey - This classic favorite jumped to the top of the iTunes download chart after its inclusion in an episode of Laguna Beach: The Real O.C.

2) BIGGEST OLD SCHOOL TRIUMPH - "Journey" - Journey song is featured on Laguna Beach, then skyrockets to the top of the iTunes download chart.

Now I sent them an email at: vh1help@mtvn.com saying how stupid they were (in a professional manner).

Just thought some of your might like to know that VH1 sucks (If you didn't already know).

TomBradley72
11-05-2005, 12:36 PM
I'm pretty sure that when White Sox fans are pissed at VH-1 for not giving us enought love for our World Series Champion team's connection to the Journey's 1981 song "Don't Stop Believin'".....the apocalypse is near....:cool:

Clembasbal
11-05-2005, 12:59 PM
I am more irked and upset with their stupidity than pissed at them.

I find it kind of funny actually, now that I actually think about it.

cheeses_h_rice
11-05-2005, 03:00 PM
That Laguna Beach show is incredibly ****ing popular and probably has 1000x more relevance to VH1 viewers than the White Sox do, so don't take it personally that they're not paying any mind to the White Sox angle on the whole Journey resurgence.

JorgeFabregas
11-05-2005, 03:11 PM
But which has more relevance to iTunes downloads?

cheeses_h_rice
11-05-2005, 03:43 PM
But which has more relevance to iTunes downloads?

I think your answer lies here (http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/laguna_beach/2005_Aug_30_ratings_up).

seanpmurphy
11-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Laguna Beach doesn't strike me as engaging television programming so who cares? Also, since when has VH1 done anything? I used to appreciate the fact they still played videos when MTV did not, but now I can't seem to find anything but I Love the (Insert Decade Here)'s with a bunch of B-list comedians making 1/4 assed funny comments.

Hey the White Sox won and any real fan knows it. What's to be upset about?

Clembasbal
11-05-2005, 05:18 PM
I think your answer lies here (http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/laguna_beach/2005_Aug_30_ratings_up).

I think that there are more Sox fans and more people watched the World Series than 3.1 millions viewers.

And once again, not upset over it or pissed off about it, just irked...learn the work...it means irritating, gosh.

South Side
11-05-2005, 05:27 PM
The episode that featured Don't Stop Believing aired in July, it's accurate that that is why it sparked sales in Itunes. It's kind of strange to think that the Sox's publicity of the song on it's own would do that, don't you think?

Clembasbal
11-05-2005, 05:31 PM
The episode that featured Don't Stop Believing aired in July, it's accurate that that is why it sparked sales in Itunes. It's kind of strange to think that the Sox's publicity of the song on it's own would do that, don't you think?

Don't you think that the Sox might have something to do with it? Not saying they deserve all the credit, but at least a mention? No mention at all?

I just thought it was weird, because Perry's face and his song was all over newscasts throughout the US and even the world the last three weeks or so.

If we can get an iTunes list of up-to-date Top 10 downloaded songs, and see how the song has progressed over the past 7 months or so, then I think we could settle this once and for all.

TDog
11-05-2005, 06:02 PM
If the people who put together the poll don't pay attention to baseball, they could be oblivious to the White Sox success. I don't pay attention to football and have no idea who played in this year's Super Bowl.

I also had no idea that Laguna Beach was a TV show, although I know people who live there.

fquaye149
11-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Don't Stop Believing was also featured heavily on a recent Family Guy episode.

Just Steve Perry's year, I guess.

South Side
11-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Don't you think that the Sox might have something to do with it? Not saying they deserve all the credit, but at least a mention? No mention at all?

I just thought it was weird, because Perry's face and his song was all over newscasts throughout the US and even the world the last three weeks or so.

If we can get an iTunes list of up-to-date Top 10 downloaded songs, and see how the song has progressed over the past 7 months or so, then I think we could settle this once and for all.

It was my impression that the Sox correlation with the song was only a local thing. If it was going around nationally then possibly the Sox could have something to do w/ the spike but I would say the majority goes to Laguna.

LuvSox
11-05-2005, 10:37 PM

Hey, there's something you don't hear very often :D:

Chips
11-06-2005, 03:01 AM
Don't Stop Believing was also featured heavily on a recent Family Guy episode.

That episode was ****ing hilarious.

I have never heard of or seen Laguna Beach. Am I living under a rock?

CLR01
11-06-2005, 03:06 AM
That episode was ****ing hilarious.

I have never heard of or seen Laguna Beach. Am I living under a rock?

You must be. It's an MTV show.

Chips
11-06-2005, 03:08 AM
You must be. It's an MTV show.

That explains it, I don't watch MTV. I deleted that channel along with about forty others to make changing channels easier for me.

TomBradley72
11-06-2005, 09:53 AM

:hawk

"Have yourself a year Steve Perry!"

ajtokarz
11-06-2005, 10:43 AM
It also helps that Viacom owns them both.......eh...whatever.

Can we pick a different Steve Perry song to listen to, let's keep his career boost going eh?

Personally I think the Cell should pump "Who's Crying Now?" when they play the Flubs in May......that is if we're gonna keep the Journey pumping.

LongLiveFisk
11-06-2005, 11:29 AM

Prior to this year, the last time those words were muttered it was 1984. :tongue:

LongLiveFisk
11-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Now I sent them an email at: vh1help@mtvn.com saying how stupid they were (in a professional manner).

Just thought some of your might like to know that VH1 sucks (If you didn't already know).

So did you ever get a response? (I'm guessing no).

fusillirob1983
11-06-2005, 02:51 PM
I don't watch Laguna Beach, but my girlfriend does, and she downloaded that song a few weeks before it was even linked to the Sox.

Clembasbal
11-06-2005, 05:34 PM
So did you ever get a response? (I'm guessing no).

Yeah right, I just thought I would send them one and let others try to email them too.

Rarely does anybody I ever email return one.

Except one time, Todd Jones returned my email about 5 years ago. I called him a fat *person* and he emailed me back with the exact quote of "You are the fat (person) buddy." I laughed at that one.

But I doubt I will ever get a response.

SOXSINCE'70
11-06-2005, 05:40 PM
VH 1 and stupidity?? Now there's a concept!!:roflmao: :roflmao:

santo=dorf
11-06-2005, 06:06 PM
:knue
"See, Sox fans use illegal downloading software to get the song whereas normal human beings use legal programs to get the music they want. Expect an article on pirating Sox fans on www.chicagosports.com (http://www.chicagosports.com/) soon."

Sly
11-06-2005, 06:13 PM
I hate to admit I know this but "Don't Stop" was in the Top 10 after it aired on "Laguna" and "Family Guy" ... Both appearances were within a few days or weeks of each other. I was on iTunes last week and "Don't Stop" was around the 30th most downloaded song. That DEFINITELY had something to do with the Sox ...

There's a fake story on TheHeckler.com right now that reads "White Sox fan buys wrong Journey album." I thought that was pretty funny.

SOXintheBURGH
11-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Maybe AJ, Crede, and Rowand watched Laguna Beach with regularity and thats where they got the idea.Maybe.

BarbG
11-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Maybe AJ, Crede, and Rowand watched Laguna Beach with regularity and thats where they got the idea.Maybe.

Maybe not with regularity, but I was thinking the same thing - since they were 3, 4, and 5 at the time of the original release.

santo=dorf
11-06-2005, 07:53 PM
They are currently playing the song on "King of the Hill."

Erik The Red
11-06-2005, 08:09 PM
I've never heard of Laguna Beach, either. Oh well.

BTW santo, I'm assuming you're trying to jinx the Sox getting any of the players in your sig. If so, then thanks much!

Clembasbal
11-06-2005, 08:11 PM
They are currently playing the song on "King of the Hill."

Did you see the Simpson's right after that? The start was the best so far.

The two aliens that are always around for the Halloween shows.

They were talking about baseball, calling it boring so they tried to speed it up.

Alien #1: "This game is boring, we must speed it up with the acceler-ray." Then they sped it up. "This game is still boring, we need to make it go faster!"

Alien #2 "But if you make it go too fast then the very fabric of the universe might shatter!!"

Alien #1 "Yes, well them maybe the Cubs might actually win it."