PDA

View Full Version : Was Game 2 the Greatest "in Chicago" win?

johnnyg83
11-05-2005, 03:47 AM
Was Game 2 the greatest Chicago game?

Seems like most of the "big" Chicago-team-sports wins of the past 50 years have been on the road.

I'm sure the Bulls clinched at home a couple times (don't recall) but their close wins (Utah and Phoenix) were on the road. And the 85 Bears rolled through the playoffs without really being challenged.

Maybe the 1963 Bears?

I watched Game 2 on Tivo tonight. And I'm convinced it's one of the greatest baseball games ever played (for dramatics).

IlliniSox4Life
11-05-2005, 03:55 AM
Personally, I don't think you can hands down say any game was the "greatest", especially when comparing different sports. It was a great game, and one of the greatest. I do however think that this was the greatest post season run of any team at any time. I haven't been around long (only 19), but it's hard to imagine beating the slugfest in game 1 of the DS, error by Graf and HR by Gooch in game 2, masterful pitching by Duque in game 3, Pierzynski play in game 2 of the CS, 4 complete games, pods walk off, blum HR, Uribe stands catch, etc, etc, etc. I'll listen if you tell me the 98 yanks were more dominating, but don't tell me their post season was better. Any two or three of those moments would make a memorable post season and we had about 10-15 of them.

johnnyg83
11-05-2005, 04:03 AM
Sorry, I don't think I phrased that correctly. I mean specifically, of a game that occured in the city limits of Chicago, that had so much on the line. And I consider, categorically, a WS game bigger than an ALDS or ALCS. Just as I'd consider a 1st round playoff game of Bears/Giants or Bulls/Heat or Hawks/Oilers less significant than a finals round of any of the four major sports.

pudge
11-05-2005, 04:19 AM
Sorry, I don't think I phrased that correctly. I mean specifically, of a game that occured in the city limits of Chicago, that had so much on the line. And I consider, categorically, a WS game bigger than an ALDS or ALCS. Just as I'd consider a 1st round playoff game of Bears/Giants or Bulls/Heat or Hawks/Oilers less significant than a finals round of any of the four major sports.

When Jordan went nuts in Game 2 against Portland, that was pretty huge. I'd say the Bears NFC Championship game in '85 when it started to snow is the only thing that can compete with W.S. Game 2 for me. But let's face it, for those of us on this website, the Sox will always be #1.

TommyJohn
11-05-2005, 09:00 AM
I watched Game 2 on Tivo tonight. And I'm convinced it's one of the greatest baseball games ever played (for dramatics).

How can you say that? It didn't involve Boston or New York, Podsednik didn't
wave his home run fair nor did he scream like a banshee while running the
bases. Besides, no one cared, and the White Sox were a fluke. This one won't
even crack the top 250.

IronFisk
11-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Believe it or not, I'd nominate September 17, 1983. Top candidates are yes, WS game 2, Bull's second title clinch (came back from 15 down in the 4th - I'd say THAT'S a challenging win!), and the Bears playoff games in 1985 (both games were HUGE media and fan-frenzy wise).

So, why the Winning Ugly Western Division clinch? I was 14 when this happened, and it's all SO vivid. Chicago was title-STARVED. Not since 1963 a major sports franchise won anything like this. Sure, the Hawks won a few division titles of their own, but big deal. They did reach the Cup finals in 1971, but they were not (and still arent) nearly as popular as the Sox or sCrubs.

Well, as it became more apparent that the Sox were going to win, the media went bezerk, playing-up every aspect. Live broadcasts from the dugout were common. The magic number made it's first public appearence, and it seemed like the countdown number was EVERYWHERE. When it happened, the city went crazy - not turn over cars crazy - but you get the point. 20 years of frustration, and even longer for the Sox, were finally flushed away.

Deuce
11-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Game 2, though an instant classic, is not the greatest "in Chicago" win IMHO. Not because it wasn't a great win, as it was. But because it wasn't the clicher, it lacks a certain amount of magic. No, for me nothing beats Game 6 of the 1996 NBA Finals. The Bulls were champions once again, assuming the status they had lost when Jordan retired. And when Jordan collapsed onto the floor of the United Center and cried, everyone in this city knew why and felt for him. He did it for his father, his team, his city, and his legacy. The raw passion and emotion gave the game more meaning than any other game I had seen, or probably ever will see.

Game 2 will always be one of the greatest baseball games to me. But when you look to the greatest of all, you have to look beyond the allegiances and go to the heart of it all.

Deuce

Bobby Thigpen
11-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Game 2 would probably win it for me if you asked. The 85 Bears vs. Rams is pretty close, and one of the Bulls' championships would be close as well (sorry I don't follow pumpkin chunkin' close enough to differentiate them).

I'm sure there are other possible greater regular season games the Sox have played (I know game 2 of this year's regular season immediately pops into my head, especially with it's importance it had later in the year), but none had the impact that Game 2 had on the season and series. That game, in combination with the Sox' guts in Game 3, were the keys to the Series.

HITMEN OF 77
11-05-2005, 01:08 PM
IMO Game 2 of the WS was one of the greatest baseball games of all time.

gosox83
11-06-2005, 12:45 AM
IMO Game 2 of the WS was one of the greatest baseball games of all time.

I cannot agree with you more.

It was hands down the best game in the new park.

I will never regret changing my mind and buying Game 6 World Series tickets instead of game 2. Everyone I talked to who said they were at Game 2 said it was the best sports experience of their lives!!!!

nccwsfan
11-06-2005, 12:49 AM
If Game 2 of the World Series wasn't the best baseball game ever played in Chicago I'd love to hear what was....that game should give every White Sox fans goosebumps for generations!

SOXintheBURGH
11-06-2005, 12:52 AM
Game 2 was just unreal.

I watched it at my brother's house and his baby girl was sleeping, so we had to contain our emotions..

After Konerko connected on the ball; me, my brother, and his wife jumped off the couch and just did a group hug followed by fist pounds and "Bash Brothers" forearm slaps.

For Pods, I stood up and remained standing absolutely speechless, holding a beer in my right hand a joint in my left. We looked at eachother speechless and wide eyed for what seemed liked an hour...

BRDSR
11-06-2005, 02:33 AM
Game 2 was just unreal.

I watched it at my brother's house and his baby girl was sleeping, so we had to contain our emotions..

After Konerko connected on the ball; me, my brother, and his wife jumped off the couch and just did a group hug followed by fist pounds and "Bash Brothers" forearm slaps.

For Pods, I stood up and remained standing absolutely speechless, holding a beer in my right hand a joint in my left. We looked at eachother speechless and wide eyed for what seemed liked an hour...

I watched it from Section 158. The entire section stood from Konerko's grand slam until the very last pitch. When Pods came to the plate the guy one row ahead of me and two seats over said that he would hit his second right there. When the ball came off the bat, I had a perfect, perpendicular view of the flight path of the ball. "He did it again! He did it again!" I screamed, when the ball reached its pinnacle. And then it landed. 2 Rows up. White Sox win!

I'll never forget that game. It has to be the best baseball game ever played within the city limits. I don't know about best game in any sport, but...baseball? Its gotta be.

TDog
11-06-2005, 03:00 AM
Game 2 is the only World Series game played in Chicago to be ended with a home run. But there was more to the game. There were lead changes and big two out hits. There was a two-out grand slam to give the Sox the lead and a two-out hit to tie the game in the ninth. The game may not have been well-played defensively, probably because of the weather, but it was greatest game with the highest stakes ever played in Chicago.

It wasn't at the level of Game 6 of the 1975 World Series, however, because it lacked the outstanding clutch defensive plays. A throw by George Foster and a catch by Dwight Evans come to mind, even 30 years after I watched it on a black-and-white television set.

Suggesting a sport where players just move up and down a field, court, rink or pitch could produce a contest with the drama approaching a great high-stakes baseball game would be ridiculous.

pudge
11-06-2005, 03:35 AM
holding a beer in my right hand a joint in my left .

Classy.

CaptainBallz
11-06-2005, 04:15 AM
holding a beer in my right hand a joint in my left..

Like an elbow joint from the forearm "Bash Brothers" kinda...huh......?

Dan H
11-06-2005, 08:30 AM
As far as I am concerned Game 2 and the whole Sox post season beats everything esle. That is because I have been a Sox fan since I was eight and my alliegence to other teams then followed. We have memories for a lifetime and they over shadow all the rest.

davenicholson
11-06-2005, 09:54 AM
As far as I am concerned Game 2 and the whole Sox post season beats everything esle. That is because I have been a Sox fan since I was eight and my alliegence to other teams then followed. We have memories for a lifetime and they over shadow all the rest.
Yep--genetic Sox fan first and foremost. My paternal grandfather didn't speak much English, but he could pronounce the Sox starting lineup every year!

I was there for Game 2, so no doubt I am biased, but I have watched the entire game twice since then, plus replayed the 7th, 8th and 9th inninings more often than I can count. Podsednik's homer and the team's reaction still gives me goosebumps. The 85 Bears? Every postseason win was expected, and while the blowouts were nice, there was just not the emotional roller coaster that was Game 2 of the `05 Series. Michael Jordan? The name is familiar--didn't he play in the Sox farm system for a while?