PDA

View Full Version : Dayn Ferry Article #2: The Premise is actually a good one!!!

Mr. White Sox
11-04-2005, 11:01 PM
The Big Hurt deserves more love (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5042114)
While I completely disagree with his opinion that Frank was given a "short shrift" in the playoffs, I love how he backs him up and says he deserves way more attention than he gets.

He plays the race card here...I never like to bring that issue up because it can get a tad touchy, and it's hard to play here considering the small sample size of Biggio, Bagwell and Thomas. I don't know.

TheOldRoman
11-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Even when he tells the truth, Perry is still a ****ing moron.

Why doesn't Thomas recieve the love he deserves? Must be racism.
Either that, or it is because the media in his hometown did nothing but crap on his career, portray him as a bastard who hated the fans, selfish, and a clubhouse cancer. Maybe because the media overlooked Frank's steady production while fawning over the steroid inhanced numbers put up by a wife-beating, tax-cheating, bat-corking, piece of human garbage on the north side. Once Sosa started injecting himself, blowing kisses to the cameras, and hitting tape-measured homers, the media turned it's back on .320,35,120 production. Average didnt matter, walks didnt matter, strikeouts didnt matter, and RBIs didnt matter. Greatness was defined by the number of homers one hit.
I believe that in his prime, Frank Thomas could have hit 70 homers in a season if he swung for the fences every time. Hell, in 2005 alone, he would have hit 50 if he continued at the same pace for a whole season. Thomas didn't become a "homerun hitter" until recently. He was always a great hitter, and extremely powerful hitter, but one that cared more about taking walks and getting basehits than he did hitting it out of the park. Thomas is one of probably only three power hitters from the last 15 years that didn't take steroids - along with Griffey and Bagwell. Thomas got fatter, not bigger, during that time, while putting up steady numbers. He didn't come out of nowhere to hit 55 homeruns, while putting on 30 pounds of muscle over two seasons. Race has nothing to do with Thomas not recieving the love from the media. If he played on the north side, he would be regaurded as one of the greatest hitters of all time. If he played in NY or Boston, he would be a superstar. Also, if Biggio and Bagwell played for the Sox, the Tribune would have dug up enough dirt on them to portray them in a worse light than the Wrigleyville rapist.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-05-2005, 01:27 AM
Race has nothing to do with Thomas not recieving the love from the media. If he played on the north side, he would be regaurded as one of the greatest hitters of all time. If he played in NY or Boston, he would be a superstar. Also, if Biggio and Bagwell played for the Sox, the Tribune would have dug up enough dirt on them to portray them in a worse light than the Wrigleyville rapist.

I agree. I only watched Games 3 and 4 on Fox (and listened to the radio - I was at Games 1 and 2 so I don't know what Fox said about Frank) but the reason Frank would have gotten less coverage during the series was the fact he didn't play whereas Biggio and Bagwell did. If Frank played he would have been featured front and center - especially after a few of his bombs to LF. All three should be first ballot HOFers but Frank is an inner ring HOFer. We'll have to wait until the ballot comes out to see if Frank is the victim of any racist sentiment (which I do not believe) though ignorance is also an explanation.

This guy is a Moronotti on a national scale (that is if anyone reads Fox Sports - Moronotti probably has a bigger audience).

Ol' No. 2
11-05-2005, 12:03 PM
This guy is a Moronotti on a national scale (that is if anyone reads Fox Sports - Moronotti probably has a bigger audience).Bingo. What they both have in common is that no one would pay them the slightest attention if they weren't putting stupid stuff like this out there.