PDA

View Full Version : Why did McConnell leave???

mike squires
11-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Joe left after 1984. I wonder if Lip or someone could fill us in on why McConnell left. I loved the guy, loved his homerun calls with a lot of enthusiasm. I think that would be a great interview as well for WSI. I know he used to reside in Goodland, In. About 7 miles from where I grew up. Not sure if he is still there. Just curious.

robertks61
11-05-2005, 12:36 AM
I agree, he also announced for the Bears I believe....

Maximo
11-05-2005, 09:10 AM
I've been around long enough to have heard several radio play by play guys either with the Sox or the Bears. In his day, Joe McConnell was as good as anyone I've ever heard.

Deuce
11-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Not sure why he left, but here is a nice article (http://www.purdueexponent.org/interface/bebop/showstory.php?date=2004/10/15&section=special) about him.

Deuce

ChicagoHoosier
11-05-2005, 10:47 AM
I'm from Indy originally, and McConnell ended up doing Colts games for a few years down there. I guess you have to go where the money is sometimes. Personally, I like guys to make a career with one team or one city, but for play-by-play guys I guess that's not realistic.

veeter
11-05-2005, 10:58 AM
McConnel has a GREAT voice.

Brian26
11-05-2005, 10:59 AM
I think he did a lot of Big Ten basketball in the late 80's/early 90's too.

Brian26
11-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Not sure why he left, but here is a nice article (http://www.purdueexponent.org/interface/bebop/showstory.php?date=2004/10/15&section=special) about him.

Deuce

It's too bad they don't mention the White Sox by name. That articles talks about McConnell's scorecard being in the hall of fame for a "25-inning game over the course of two days." That had to have been the White Sox/Brewers from May of '84. The also reference the "shortest overtime in NFL history". I'm assuming that the Thanksgiving kickoff return by the Bears against the Lions.

Dick Allen
11-05-2005, 11:23 AM
McConnell and Brad Palmer did the Bears games on WBBM. When the Bears switched over to WGN, no more McConnell. Don't know if that's why he left the scene, but we all know WGN's stellar history of radio voices.

JimH
11-05-2005, 11:48 AM
I do know that Joe McConnell and Hawk didn't get along that well.

When Early "Gus" Wynn did some color commentary for the Sox, McConnell used to complain about Wynn's style and contributions. Harrelson came to the defense of a fellow former ballplayer and there was a rift between Harrelson and McConnell after that.

TomBradley72
11-05-2005, 12:31 PM
No one made a warning track fly ball more exciting than Joe M.....

Lip Man 1
11-05-2005, 12:39 PM
I don't think Joe does Purdue games anymore. He used to do the coaches TV show but I haven't seen him on it in the last year or so.

Joe also did the Vikings for years when they were a very good club in the 70's. He was very good with the Bears and Sox but Brad Palmer and Early Wynn were awful and had no business being in the booth.

Don't know why he left. Yes I have tried to kind him for an interview but haven't been able to get him.

Mike Squires...anyway to check for me Goodland, Indiana's phone books to see if there any listings?

Lip