PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Weaver

AsInWreck
12-15-2001, 12:20 PM
i'm justing starting this thread for the sake of starting a thread/but there was talk of trading for jeff weaver towards the end of last season/
I think this guy could be a real winner w/ the sox and detroit is looking to bolster their offense/i
saw him in detroit in 2000 against the sox when the sox lineup was tearing up the league and he only gave up 2 hits and 1 run off a konerko dinger/i was sitting right behind home on the 3b side and the movement on his pitches was awesome/he would definately be a 15+ winner w/ the
soxif he pitched like he has last couple of years/
i'd like to see the sox trade maybe CLee and pitching prospect like ginter or guerrier for him/anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Jerry_Manuel
12-15-2001, 12:28 PM
I'm not a fan of trading inside your own division. In the case of Weaver it doesn't matter. He hates the Sox and would leave the first chance he got. He was drafted by the Sox and never signed here, I assume Jerry made him a crappy contract offer. His agent is Scott Boras I do believe and as we all know he and Jerry Reinsdorf don't see eye to eye.

AsInWreck
12-15-2001, 12:32 PM
why does he hate the sox? besides he's at least got 2-3 years before being eligible for free agency/that would be plenty of time to make him like the Pale Hose--I'd think he'd be happy anyway to get out of detroit and pitch for a contender,which the sox definitely would be w/ this rotation-
buerhle
ritchie
weaver
garland
parque/glover/biddle/wright

Jerry_Manuel
12-15-2001, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck
why does he hate the sox?

I'm guessing it has something to do with how he was treated after we drafted him.

czalgosz
12-15-2001, 01:34 PM
Once again showing the method to JR's madness - he refuses to make long-term commitments to pitchers, which is what Weaver wanted out of the Sox.

That being said, I think that Weaver will be an All-Star caliber pitcher, either next year or the following (barring, of course, injury). I would have no idea why the Tigers would agree to trade him unless they don't think they can afford him in the long run. He won't be a free agent for at least a couple seasons, though, right?

AsInWreck
12-15-2001, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
O
I would have no idea why the Tigers would agree to trade him unless they don't think they can afford him in the long run.

Everthing I've read about the tiger's this off season is that they are really looking to add some force to the lineup/ i wouldn't be looking to get rid of him either but i heard something to that effect a few months ago... i know it probably won't happen but i hope kw is at least putting his worm in the water

WinningUgly!
12-15-2001, 03:18 PM
Once again showing the method to JR's madness - he refuses to make long-term commitments to pitchers, which is what Weaver wanted out of the Sox.

It's hard to argue with JR's theory of not signing pitchers to long-term deals...look at McDowell, Alvarez, Bere, Fernandez, etc. Hell, he's even been right about a few of the big-named position players he's let walk outta town...Ventura & Belle. I don't agree with a whole lot of the things JR does, but I'm glad we don't have any(or all) of these guys still eating up payroll!

GASHWOUND
12-15-2001, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

It's hard to argue with JR's theory of not signing pitchers to long-term deals...look at McDowell, Alvarez, Bere, Fernandez, etc. Hell, he's even been right about a few of the big-named position players he's let walk outta town...Ventura & Belle. I don't agree with a whole lot of the things JR does, but I'm glad we don't have any(or all) of these guys still eating up payroll!

And the one guy he did sign to a long term cotract, well, lets just say he wasn't Perdro-ish.

:jaime
:whiner:

WinningUgly!
12-15-2001, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

And the one guy he did sign to a long term cotract, well, lets just say he wasn't Perdro-ish.

:jaime
:whiner:
No, not quite! :D:

Soxheads
12-15-2001, 09:34 PM
why does he hate the sox? besides he's at least got 2-3 years before being eligible for free agency/that would be plenty of time to make him like the Pale Hose--I'd think he'd be happy anyway to get out of detroit and pitch for a contender,which the sox definitely would be w/ this rotation-
buerhle
ritchie
weaver
garland
parque/glover/biddle/wright

Got something against periods?

Dadawg_77
12-15-2001, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

True there are busts and then there are FA pitchers that weren't. This is where the business and talent evaulation of the baseball world meet, you need to have people on your staff that can ID who to sign long term and who not to. And if you get burn once you stop doing it or you admit you people are not cut out for the job.

Daver
12-15-2001, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

Got something against periods?

What do Brett Hull and Courtney Love have in common?

They both take a shower after three periods.

Jerry_Manuel
12-15-2001, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by daver
What do Brett Hull and Courtney Love have in common?

They both take a shower after three periods.

Your not going to be here all week are you?

Bmr31
12-16-2001, 04:20 AM
i'm justing starting this thread for the sake of starting a thread/but there was talk of trading for jeff weaver towards the end of last season/
I think this guy could be a real winner w/ the sox and detroit is looking to bolster their offense/i
saw him in detroit in 2000 against the sox when the sox lineup was tearing up the league and he only gave up 2 hits and 1 run off a konerko dinger/i was sitting right behind home on the 3b side and the movement on his pitches was awesome/he would definately be a 15+ winner w/ the
soxif he pitched like he has last couple of years/
i'd like to see the sox trade maybe CLee and pitching prospect like ginter or guerrier for him/anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

yeah i have thoughts. Its going to take a lot more than that to get jeff weaver....