PDA

View Full Version : First Konerko offer: 4/48

CredeGoldGlove
11-04-2005, 05:21 PM
The Score just reported that the Sox plan to offer Konerko 4/48 as their first offer. Thoughts?

Sly
11-04-2005, 05:42 PM
This is what I hate about Reinsdorf ... He knows, you know, everyone knows that Konerko is going to get a five-year deal. So what does he do? Comes out and insults Paulie right away by offering four. Just cut to the chase and leave the macho one-upsmanship out of this.

Reinsdorf even had to get in the last word with Jordan when he gave him the 36 million dollar contract - "I hope I don't regret this." ... Gimme a break.

MRKARNO
11-04-2005, 05:46 PM
This is what I hate about Reinsdorf ... He knows, you know, everyone knows that Konerko is going to get a five-year deal. So what does he do? Comes out and insults Paulie right away by offering four. Just cut to the chase and leave the macho one-upsmanship out of this.

Reinsdorf even had to get in the last word with Jordan when he gave him the 36 million dollar contract - "I hope I don't regret this." ... Gimme a break.

If Konerko finds the 4/48 offer insulting, then he better be looking for a moving company pretty darn soon. I would say that 4/48 is approaching the upper edge of what we should pay him. Giving him more than 4 guaranteed years would be unintelligent IMO and more than 12-13 per year would also not be a good move. There are plenty of other options out there. I hope he does come back, but if he is insulted by that 4/48 offer, then adios.

Jjav829
11-04-2005, 05:51 PM

It's called negotiating. You don't put your best foot forward right away. The Sox are not just going to come out right away and offer a 5-year, $60 million deal. They might be willing to go that high, but they certainly aren't going to make that their initial offer.

OEO Magglio
11-04-2005, 05:52 PM

I'm sure Paul is real insulted.:rolleyes:

SABRSox
11-04-2005, 06:01 PM
http://sportserver.nandomedia.com/ips_rich_content/656-kings2.jpg

"Hey Paulie, you throw that offer back in their face. You tell them you can't feed your family on 4yr/48mil."

The_Floridian
11-04-2005, 07:50 PM

What are you talking about? You don't come out and offer the guy a huge contract right off the bat. The reason is because you can always go higher, but you can never go lower without looking like a total putz. You make a guy an offer, he asks for something better, you settle on a compromise. That way everybody's happy.

If it's true that Paulie wants a 5/65 deal, then this is a good first offer.

Mr. White Sox
11-04-2005, 09:05 PM
If Konerko finds the 4/48 offer insulting, then he better be looking for a moving company pretty darn soon. I would say that 4/48 is approaching the upper edge of what we should pay him. Giving him more than 4 guaranteed years would be unintelligent IMO and more than 12-13 per year would also not be a good move. There are plenty of other options out there. I hope he does come back, but if he is insulted by that 4/48 offer, then adios.

He probably won't be back unless he gets five. 5 years is pushing it, yet that's what he wants, and that's probably what the market will give him.

Sly
11-05-2005, 04:56 AM
So if you're negotiating, offer him five for $55 mil ... no way is he doing four.

Fredsox
11-05-2005, 07:32 AM
So if you're negotiating, offer him five for $55 mil ... no way is he doing four.

And of course, Konerko told you this when he was over for dinner at your house last night? Let's be real, we have an idea of what he wants based upon some media reports but that's about all. Konerko is smart enough to know what staying here is worth to him (salary, endorsements, quality of life) and what it might be in LA.

Williams has stated that signing Konerko is the #1 priority and I think we need to give him enough credit that he knows the market, he knows Konerko, and he knows Konerko's agent. If we let this thing play out instead of going ballistic over every rumor I think we'll see in the end that both sides acted appropriately. Frankly I would be very surprised if the White Sox did NOT succeed in signing him before season tickets go on sale.

Flight #24
11-05-2005, 08:08 AM
Hmmm......many reports have said they expect Konerko to get a "Sexson-like" deal. Sexson got $50/4. They offer $48/4. Seems pretty on target to me.

Just because MJ&H or ChiSoxTony's 2d cousin think Konerko's market value is a 7-yr/$14M-per offer doesn't make it so.

veeter
11-05-2005, 09:20 AM
In the words of George Costanza, "We're negotiating!!" It's the first offer.

Banix12
11-05-2005, 12:21 PM
That is a reasonable 1st offer. Good place to start.

Clembasbal
11-05-2005, 04:20 PM
http://sportserver.nandomedia.com/ips_rich_content/656-kings2.jpg

"Hey Paulie, you throw that offer back in their face. You tell them you can't feed your family on 4yr/48mil."
:kneeslap:
Fantastic!

And IMO (Not a Gm or anything) but more than 3 years for anybody is way too much.

munchman33
11-05-2005, 05:02 PM
I don't want Konerko back for five years. If that's what he's going to get, then let him get it somewhere else. Living up to a four year contract would be pushing it.

Mr. White Sox
11-05-2005, 05:56 PM
:kneeslap:
And IMO (Not a Gm or anything) but more than 3 years for anybody is way too much.

Ehhh...if I were a GM given the option of signing a young A-Rod or Miguel Cabrera, I may go 6-7 years. 10 years is completely pushing it though; the injury risk and payroll dedication is too high, and his salary is insane.

Domeshot17
11-05-2005, 11:52 PM
a 5 year deal isnt bad at all. the man will be 35 when it runs out, not 38 or 39.

to those who wonder why 4/48 isnt insulting, its an opening offer of Richie Sexson esque money, if you go 5/60 off the bat, then the agent goes, opening offer of 5 years, he wont sign for anything under 6. Its give and take, we offer 4, they come back with 6, and it ends up settled on 5 with an option year or something along those lines.

the problem is, agents, if given an inch, will take a mile, so GM's need to make sure that mile ends where the inch would have.

Nellie_Fox
11-06-2005, 12:05 AM

Reinsdorf even had to get in the last word with Jordan when he gave him the 36 million dollar contract - "I hope I don't regret this." ... Gimme a break.Oh, please, somebody insult me like this. I can take it, I swear.

nccwsfan
11-06-2005, 12:30 AM
The White Sox know that it'll take at least 5 years to keep PK. This is the opening shot and they'll make the next move when the time is right....