PDA

View Full Version : John Rooney Moving To L.A.

TimChamp
11-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Hey guys, I don't know if this is true or not, but today when my mom came back from the YMCA, she was asking me if I knew a guy named "John Roney". I said, "No". A few seconds later, I asked her if she meant, John Rooney and she said yes.

Anyway, she then proceeded to tell me that she met his neighbor/friend at the YMCA and said that John Rooney lived in Palatine. Anyway, the guy said that John had gotten a job in L.A. and was getting ready to move there.

I don't know if anybody knew about this, but I guess this means John Rooney has moved on...I'm going to miss John and his "WHITE SOX WINNERS" :whiner:

Oh well...here's to John Rooney, perhaps the greatest play-by-play guy in the business today and perhaps one of the greatest ever... :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

--Champ out

cheeses_h_rice
11-04-2005, 04:42 PM
So, were there openings with either the Dodgers or Angels TV or radio announcing teams?

XplodingScorbord
11-04-2005, 04:42 PM
My best friends sisters boyfriends brothers girlfriend heard from this guy that knows this girl who's going with a guy that saw Ferris passed out at 31 flavors last night. I guess its pretty serious.

eriqjaffe
11-04-2005, 04:43 PM
So, were there openings with either the Dodgers or Angels TV or radio announcing teams?He's going to be the Dodgers' new GM!

SOXSINCE'70
11-04-2005, 04:45 PM
My best friends sisters boyfriends brothers girlfriend heard from this guy that knows this girl who's going with a guy that saw Ferris passed out at 31 flavors last night. I guess its pretty serious.

:tealpolice:
Apply where necessary.

TheOldRoman
11-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Hey guys, I don't know if this is true or not, but today when my mom came back from the YMCA, she was asking me if I knew a guy named "John Roney". I said, "No". A few seconds later, I asked her if she meant, John Rooney and she said yes.

Anyway, she then proceeded to tell me that she met his neighbor/friend at the YMCA and said that John Rooney lived in Palatine. Anyway, the guy said that John had gotten a job in L.A. and was getting ready to move there.

I don't know if anybody knew about this, but I guess this means John Rooney has moved on...I'm going to miss John and his "WHITE SOX WINNERS" :whiner:

Oh well...here's to John Rooney, perhaps the greatest play-by-play guy in the business today and perhaps one of the greatest ever... :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

--Champ out
Are you sure your mom didn't overhear that conversation at the baggage claim area at the airport?:cool:

TimChamp
11-04-2005, 04:49 PM
LOL! Ok, I knew I was going to get stuff like that, but I've checked on it. John Rooney's house seems to be for sale here in Palatine.

--Champ out to try to talk to John Rooeny's "neighbor/friend"

32nd&Wallace
11-04-2005, 04:50 PM
There's credibility to this. I know someone whose is closely related to a well known White Sox personality who told me that Rooney a). sold his house and b) is in line to replace Vin Scully.

Palehose13
11-04-2005, 04:53 PM
I'm not doubting the report, but I am putting this in WTS until an official announcement has been made. m'kay?

Gammons Peter
11-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Old news, MacJurkoHarry implied when the Sox played the Angels that Rooney was picking out his new office

Ol' No. 2
11-04-2005, 05:01 PM
There's credibility to this. I know someone whose is closely related to a well known White Sox personality who told me that Rooney a). sold his house and b) is in line to replace Vin Scully.There's only one teensey-weensey problem with this. Unless I've been completely out to lunch, Vin Scully isn't going anywhere and he doesn't work with a partner.

HotelWhiteSox
11-04-2005, 05:14 PM
I bet its the Angels TV job

Baby Fisk
11-04-2005, 05:16 PM
I bet its the Angels TV jobThe team they had this past year was due for an upgrade. They sucked.

steff
11-04-2005, 05:30 PM
He's moving... heard that from a friend I have in the moving company business.. :wink: , but LA is not confirmed.

eriqjaffe
11-04-2005, 05:32 PM
There's only one teensey-weensey problem with this. Unless I've been completely out to lunch, Vin Scully isn't going anywhere and he doesn't work with a partner.But Vin Scully is very, very, very old. Yes, he work alone, but (as of a few years ago) he called half of the game on radio, and half on TV - at the time I was living in LA, he traded places with Ross Porter around halfway through the game.

IIRC, Vin also no longer goes on road trips at all.

Palehose13
11-04-2005, 05:33 PM
He's moving... heard that from a friend I have in the moving company business.. :wink: , but LA is not confirmed.

Pfft..you don't know anyone in the moving business. :tongue:

Ol' No. 2
11-04-2005, 05:40 PM
What happened to the St. Louis job? I thought he was going there to take over for Wayne Hagin? Now I see on the Cardinals' site that Hagin has been renewed for 2006.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-04-2005, 06:50 PM
http://www.sportsusaradio.com/

Rooney will be doing the PBP for the NY Giants vs. San Francisco 49ers this Sunday on USA Radio. I don't know if it will be broadcast in Chicago or where it is available. Their website doesn't offer much information.

34rancher
11-04-2005, 06:54 PM
John Rooney did in fact sell his house in Palatine. He moved out this week. From conversations with John, I can tell you he purchased a house in Naperville. All I can say.

TheOldRoman
11-04-2005, 07:30 PM
John Rooney did in fact sell his house in Palatine. He moved out this week. From conversations with John, I can tell you he purchased a house in Naperville. All I can say.
Damn. That settles it. Naperville is much closer to Anaheim than Palatine is.

SoxSpeed22
11-04-2005, 08:14 PM
I'll definitely miss him. He knew his stuff and stood by this team for 15 years.(?) If he leaves, does this make Farmio the new PBP guy?
And I would love to see Black Jack with a broadcasting job here. He travelled with DJ when Hawk was having surgery and I enjoyed it.

Chips
11-04-2005, 08:42 PM
I'll definitely miss him. He knew his stuff and stood by this team for 15 years.(?) If he leaves, does this make Farmio the new PBP guy?
And I would love to see Black Jack with a broadcasting job here. He travelled with DJ when Hawk was having surgery and I enjoyed it.

Yep, Ed Farmer is doing the play by play.

32nd&Wallace
11-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Damn. That settles it. Naperville is much closer to Anaheim than Palatine is.Didn't he used to live in that area?

TomBradley72
11-04-2005, 09:53 PM

Future voice of the Kane Country Cougars?

rmusacch
11-04-2005, 09:58 PM

--Champ out

If true, maybe he is getting a national job. Fox Sports is out in LA.

Lip Man 1
11-04-2005, 10:44 PM
or God forbid, he's heading up to the North Side.

Lip

CLR01
11-05-2005, 12:15 AM
or God forbid, he's heading up to the North Side.

Lip

Why move from Palatine to Naperville if you are taking a job on the northside or LA.

Ol' No. 2
11-05-2005, 12:50 PM
OK. I'm calling BS on this whole thing. Why would he sell his house in Palatine and buy one in Naperville when he knows damn well his next job is going to be in another city? If he actually did come to an agreement with WSCR, they sure as hell wouldn't be sitting on it.

JorgeFabregas
11-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Maybe the Naperville place is his winter house, for when he misses the seasons. :?:

hose
11-05-2005, 01:07 PM
I don't know what Rooney is doing, but didn't Charlie Steiner leave the Dodger's radio booth after this season ended?

longshot7
11-05-2005, 01:32 PM
I read in the LA Times yesterday that the Angels are KEEPING their entire broadcast team (both TV & radio).

Brian26
11-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Damn. That settles it. Naperville is much closer to Anaheim than Palatine is.

LOL! Nice.

LuvSox
11-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Isn't ESPN building a studio in L.A.? Just a thought.

AZChiSoxFan
11-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Maybe the Naperville place is his winter house, for when he misses the seasons. :?:

That would make sense. Just like the birds, Rooney heads south for the winter. All the way down to Naperville.

Fenway
11-07-2005, 11:57 AM
I asked Gammons who THOUGHT Rooney was going to St Louis.....now he has no clue what John is up to but did confirm Steiner is miserable in LA

Norberto7
11-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Future voice of the Kane Country Cougars?

Nah, with this move he'll obviously be doing the Cardinals next year. The NCC Cardinals. :cool:

steff
11-07-2005, 01:07 PM

The move to N'Ville was more to benefit his step daughter who they want to attend NVHS. That was in the works since August. An out of town job is not out of the question.. but neither is returning to the Sox..